• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Scoops

Banned
I'm thinking in the West this will be a Q4 2017 game at the earliest, but it would make a good Q1 2018 release as well especially if Nintendo already has a stacked holiday lineup.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
The only thing stopping me from buying the Japanese version as soon as it comes out is I probably won't be able to hop on to NA servers with my friends once the game is out here.

TreIII

Localisation announcement can't come soon enough.

Heck, 75% of it is already localised!

That's the main reason I'm thinking (or rather, hoping) that we won't be kept waiting so long. The majority of the game is already done, and it would just be a matter of tackling the remaining G-Rank-level content and the additional stuff for SP.

At the very least, compared to the kind of monumental undertaking that Monster Hunter Stories would require, a XX localization should be much less involved. And this is the game that would be much more important than Stories would be, for most.

Can't believe I didn't jump into one of these threads sooner, but this has me hyped! Really hoping that the localization is fairly quick. I don't want the temptation of importing just to play the game a year or so earlier.

Salaadin

I'm really hoping for a summertime release in the West. Fall is going to be busy with other games and early next year is just too long. By then, I'm just going to be ready for MH5.
I mean, I'm still buying it either wau but I'd just really prefer something soon.

Kyoufu

I'm really hoping for a summertime release in the West. Fall is going to be busy with other games and early next year is just too long. By then, I'm just going to be ready for MH5.
I mean, I'm still buying it either wau but I'd just really prefer something soon.

Destiny 2 is my priority from September onwards so I'm just going to play the western release in 2018.

Should have a solid 2 weeks with the JP version before D2 at least.

Im with you. Id rather a release sooner than later. My fall will be busy. But right now im caught up to all my games until at least August.

*Fingers crossed*

0racle

Never gave MH any interest.

Seriously, what is it ? Only interested because I have a switch and everyone seems to be interested in this game

Cerium

Seriously, what is it ? Only interested because I have a switch and everyone seems to be interested in this game

Hunt monsters, carve 'em up for parts, make better gear, hunt bigger monsters.

The mainline games have great combat and really shine with co-op. It's a phenomenon in Japan.

Mupod

It's basically boss fights: the game. There's a huge emphasis on learning 'tells' like punch-out - it's all about playing carefully rather than doing fancy combos. Like Souls games it's punishing and based heavily around learning your weapon movesets. Nothing really plays like MH though, and it has a bit of a learning curve.

Multiplayer is fun and the main draw for a lot of people. You could boil it down to a grinding/loot game but it's based more on skill than stats, and it's just a fun to play action game.

JP_

Banned
Was thinking I'd have to get a switch until I watched the trailer. It's basically just a port of Generations with some add-ons? "XX" made me think it was closer to a sequel.

Cerium

Was thinking I'd have to get a switch until I watched the trailer. It's basically just a port of Generations with some add-ons? "XX" made me think it was closer to a sequel.

Are you totally unfamiliar with the G/Ultimate dynamic of the series?

X : XX :: 4 : 4G

JP_

Banned
Are you totally unfamiliar with the G/Ultimate dynamic of the series?

X : XX :: 4 : 4G

I mostly skipped the 3DS series (got 3DS late for cheap, only have Gen). On PSP, MHF2 to MHFU seemed like a bigger upgrade.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

edit: plus, I'd expect more when jumping to Switch from 3DS...

renzolama

It's worth reiterating that Switch games that are releasing globally on the same day like ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21) are atypical Friday releases in Japan.

August 25 is also a Friday.

RZ7zk_s-200x150.gif

I'm sure there's a better conspiracy theory numbers gif, but I couldn't think of any good keywords to find it :( I hope we get it soon, anyway...I want to believe.

Kinsei

Banned
I mostly skipped the 3DS series (got 3DS late for cheap, only have Gen). On PSP, MHF2 to MHFU seemed like a bigger upgrade.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

The jump from X to XX is bigger than the jump from MHF2 to MHFU.

XX is a 3DS game. This is just an HD upres.

NewGame

Banned

Do you like hack n slash, combat heavy games? Loot tables? crafting new stuff? multiplayer co op games?

FingerBang

Do you like hack n slash, combat heavy games? Loot tables? crafting new stuff? multiplayer co op games?

I love all of that and yet I can't get into Monster Hunter as much as I would love to.

And I think the fault is probably load times + clunky controls.

I'll buy the Switch one though.

Murkas

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

MHF2 - MHFU:

4 new subspecies
6 new monsters
1 returning monster

Total final count:

# Small Monsters: 23
# Large Monsters: 58
# Total Monsters: 81

MH3 - MH3U/G

6 new subspecies
2 new monsters

Total final count

# Small Monsters: 22
# Large Monsters: 51
# Total Monsters: 73

MH4 - MH4U/G

8 new subspecies
2 new monsters
13 returning monsters

Total final count

# Large Monsters: 75
# Total Monsters: 98

MHX - MHXX
2 new monsters
6 new subspecies (deviants)
10 returning monsters

Couldn't find final count on the wikia page.

Going by the numbers, MHFU was only bigger than MH3U in terms of new additions.

ramparter

Banned
It's worth reiterating that Switch games that are releasing globally on the same day like ARMS (June 16) and Splatoon 2 (July 21) are atypical Friday releases in Japan.

Well since it's a port the script is already localized....

redcrayon

I love all of that and yet I can't get into Monster Hunter as much as I would love to.

And I think the fault is probably load times + clunky controls.

I'll buy the Switch one though.
The controls aren't clunky, they are very responsive, you just can't cancel out of attacks with a sword the size of a small car once committed in the same way that some other action games let you (although Generations added an art that's basically an emergency 'evade everything' function for players that want that). The key to MH is learning the monsters 'tells' and predicting their behaviour in advance so you can block or evade and punish it, which includes knowing when the right time to sheathe your weapon and get clear is. If the controls were clunky, there wouldn't be so many videos of players tearing the deadly faster creatures apart with the larger, slower weapons. Whenever I play online, I'm amazed at how well some players handle the fast ones even I struggle with after hundreds of hours, like G-rank Rajang, predicting where it's going to be in a few seconds time as they charge up their greatsword. It's awesome to see.

Kyoufu

MHF2 - MHFU:

4 new subspecies
6 new monsters
1 returning monster

Total final count:

# Large Monsters: 58
# Total Monsters: 81

Going by the numbers, MHFU was only bigger than MH3U in terms of new additions.

That's a really disingenuous way to summarise the jump from a vanilla to G expansion that doesn't justify the real benefits of them. MHFU did a lot more than just increase the total monster count, it added some important QoL improvements to the game that the series retained with every iteration going forward.

jowell24

I think if Capcom were smart, they would ride the post-announcement hype train and get a Western release as close to the Japanese release of the game to capitalise on the momentum of the announcement.

Given the nature of additional content between MHX and MHXX it clearly wouldn't take long to localise, so I predict a release before the end of 2017.

A worldwide release would just be the icing on the cake for me.

Ridley327

This is what I'm thinking. Like how they handled 3 Ultimate.
There's really no reason not to bring the 3DS version over, especially as Switch stock remains short. Like MH3U, I'm sure the console version will get the bulk of the marketing, but they won't pretend the 3DS doesn't exist.

febLey

Finally I can play Monster Hunter with a Controller again.
Didn't like playing 4U and Generations on the 3DS, it felt really clunky.

This can't come soon enough.

Murkas

That's a really disingenuous way to summarise the jump from a vanilla to G expansion that doesn't justify the real benefits of them. MHFU did a lot more than just increase the total monster count, it added some important QoL improvements to the game that the series retained with every iteration going forward.

The poster seemed confused on what the expansions contain (thinking this was a sequel), I was just simplifying it.

I hope they call the localization of this: "Monster Hunter Generations DeluXXe" in the USA.

Because that would be hilarious.

I will pre-order this immediately too.

NeonBlack

Aren't all first party Nintendo games released on Friday?

Anteo

Mh4u launcehd about 5 months after mh4g
Mhgen launched about 8 months after mhcross

I dont see why double cross would not be localized this year considering it actually launched on march.

Fiendcode

I'm expecting a western release anywhere from November to March. Stories is in September and Capcom might want to give it a little breathing room. Also expecting it to be a 3DS/Switch multiplatform launch in the west.

You guys are crazy, lol. I'd be pleasantly surprised if it got an NA release this year.

If it isn't October or so this year it's gonna be early next year. But the game launched in March. I honestly think it's gonna be October. Avoid the Nov/Dec rush. Next year would put it at 10+ months after Japan's launch. Seems unlikely. Generations was only 8.

Berordn

I dont see why double cross would not be localized this year considering it actually launched on march.

I could see them dragging their feet on it to release both versions at the same time, like they did with 3U.

heringer

5 months after launch in March would put the game in August. Maybe a global release for Switch version?

JP_

Banned
The poster seemed confused on what the expansions contain (thinking this was a sequel), I was just simplifying it.

No, you were misrepresenting it by choosing the metric that made XX look like a bigger upgrade than it is. MHFU was the first game with G-rank and the felyne companion, among other things.

Top Bottom