• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

I think I'm more hyped for this game than anything else. And I'm not even a big MH fan. Enjoyed MH4 on the 3ds despite not getting far. Really wanna play something like that on my TV.

I so hope this gets a US release.

Ridley327

That Massacre Demon Diablos keychain looks really bad. I had to stare at it for a minute before I even figured out what monster it was supposed to be.

None of them look really good, but I think that Glavenus is the worst of the bunch, since they totally screwed up the color balance (he's a lot more red than blue in his model and his art).

Amusingly, the sprite version of Valfalk looks like Skarmory.

Well, we know for sure that your saves will transfer.

You can transfer your save from the Japanese version of Generations to XX. I have no doubt that we'll be able to transfer our saves from Generations to whatever they end up calling XX if they localize it.
Cool, I was debating continuing on 3DS or not after hearing about this because I'm tired of cramped hands. If I can just upgrade and then never touch the 3ds version again I'll be happy.

Drkirby

Corporate Apologist
I wonder if Capcom would polish up the game any more between the Japanese and Western Release. Better textures could go a long way.

Guiz

I'm thinking about importing the game but I don't speak japanese at all. Will this be a problem for the game? (or Wikia are enough to get into it)

Switch games being region free, could we hope for an english localisation in the japanese version after the West release?

Theswweet

I'm thinking about importing the game but I don't speak japanese at all.

Switch games being region free, could we hope for an english localisation in the japanese version after the West release?

I'd actually say chances are relatively high for a WW release of this version of the game.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm thinking about importing the game but I don't speak japanese at all. Will this be a problem for the game? (or Wikia are enough to get into it)

I mean, MHGAF and the really extensive wikis should be enough. but it comes down to your personal taste and if you'll start to get annoyed looking stuff up.

Zedark

Yes but when, that's the point... End of summer with MHXX is a must have.
I think he meant a WW simultaneous release. After all, the localisation work would have started since the release of the 3DS version, so it' very well possible they have the localised versions ready by that time as well.

colinp

Banned

It's possible but it would be a slog, especially if you aren't already familiar with the basics like what item does what and how the different weapons work. I would recommend picking up Generations or waiting for this to be localized.

Theswweet

I think he meant a WW simultaneous release. After all, the localisation work would have started since the release of the 3DS version, so it' very well possible they have the localised versions ready by that time as well.

Actually, the localization work for both MH4U and MHG started before either game came out in Japan. That being the case, it would make sense for MHXX Switch to be a day-and-date release worldwide... hell, the wait between MH4G and MH4U was 4 months, the distance between MHXX's Japanese 3DS release and the Switch release will have been 5 months.

$10 says the localization gets announced at Niintendo's E3 video, and it's either a day-and-date international Switch release or VERY, VERY close to it.

Haunted

Graphically, I'd say it looks comparable to Monster Hunter Tri U. So, an HD version of a game from 2+ generations ago.

Basically, what we expected. I hope MH5 will blow our socks off, but at this point, who knows what Capcom will choose to do.

AzureFlame

Graphically, I'd say it looks comparable to Monster Hunter Tri U. So, an HD version of a game from 2+ generations ago.

Basically, what we expected. I hope MH5 will blow our socks off, but at this point, who knows what Capcom will choose to do.

i hope it doesn't look worse :p seeing the UI not being remastered like Tri U is a bad sign, also the game might not be 60fps, wasn't Tri U 60fps?

Raide

Until Capcom step away from the 3DS and then port it to other systems, it will always look fairly average. Expected a bit more from the Switch but the gameplay is there, so it will be solid overall.

MH 5 would have to be console only for it to really shine.

Passose

Banned
Until Capcom step away from the 3DS and then port it to other systems, it will always look fairly average. Expected a bit more from the Switch but the gameplay is there, so it will be solid overall.

MH 5 would have to be console only for it to really shine.
It actually shined when it got away from the home console scene, being on home consoles from the ps2 to the wii was what holding it back

Raide

It actually shined when it got away from the home console scene, being on home consoles from the ps2 to the wii was what holding it back

Graphically, not so much. Sure handheld made the community much larger but the overall quality was always going to be held back when the do up-ports to home consoles. The switch version could be really damn good but maybe we have to wait for MH 5 for that.

Xane

It's always amazing to see CAPCOM doesn't give a shit. Parts of the HUD are pixelated on the 1080p Switch port of Monster Hunter XX, whereas they managed to create a proper high resolution 1080p HUD on Wii U in 2012.

MHXX Switch 1080p:
mhxx_switch_pixelatedw1sdl.png

MH3U Wii U 1080p:
mh3u_wiiu_hud-1080p_ceqsvi.png

I hope this supports USB keyboard like on Wii & Wii U and that it runs at 60fps. Otherwise it's a very lazy port.

The only improvement I see is that font size was increased and should now be easily legible - this was a big issue on MH3U Wii U.

I agree 100%, an improved UI is one of my most requested features. I'm still hoping it might be hidden as an option. :<

(EDIT: nvm, it's still pixelated)

depward

Gaijinhunter jumping the gun and tweeting out the game being 60fps. He has deleted the tweet. False alarm. No confirmation.

Lol that 60fps thread. Youd think people who care so much about 60fps would actually be able to tell 30 and 60 apart before they commit to pre ordering for just for 60fps.
Kind of ironic.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
As far as I can tell from my quick testing, nothing in that trailer is running at 60fps. I progressed frame by frame at various points and it was always new frame-duplicate frame-new frame for both the gameplay and the people filmed.

Lol that 60fps thread. Youd think people who care so much about 60fps would actually be able to tell 30 and 60 apart before they commit to pre ordering for just for 60fps.
Kind of ironic.

I will say that that was my thought as well... But perhaps some people are much better at feeling it while playing than visually identifying it.

Condom

Might buy a switch for this, depending if MH5 is confirmed exclusively before/around western release.

As I don't really care about MHXX but will play it to get used to the system etc. in anticipation of the big release.

Ridley327

I think you are going to be disappointed if you are expecting this to be sold at less than normal price. Pretty sure no one here is expecting it either.

It would seem really strange to complain about the pricing on a Monster Hunter title, given the hundreds and hundreds of hours of gameplay that they provide. Hell, you're probably just hitting high rank in multiplayer in twice the time it takes to get through The Order: 1886.

NewGame

Banned
Kind of ironic.

Especially considering the game feels just as solid landing a lv3 GS midblade swipe at 30fps or 60fps.

It's good to have 60fps... lets see if it's locked though, remember 4U and smoke bombs?

As long as the frame rate is locked that's all I care about, I want to be able to dodge narga tails naked.

The assets really look bad now that we have the HD'dedness to clearly show it's a PS2 game.

MH5 needs a tri-like reboot- though I can imagine the HD era is going to be a money sink as far as art and assets is concerned. Then again there's that MMO with HD assets- they own those right? It's not some chinese IP thing?

Dang i just want this game now, e3 better have lots of deets and there better be a demo.

These assets by the way:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-onmIFP0Zg

I was thinking of pre-ordering the Japanese version but what are the chances they decide to region lock online with their online pass when it finaly comes out?

tuffy

I was thinking of pre-ordering the Japanese version but what are the chances they decide to region lock online with their online pass when it finaly comes out?
Because of collaboration DLC gear, players with the Japanese version are only going to be able to play online (or locally) with other Japanese players. It's not been officially confirmed, but you can count on that being the case.

Syril

They never did it even if the eu/usa release was 1 year later.
But well, we can always hope.
They've made changes in localization, but not on that scope. Changes they've made include in 4U adding drinks to the supply chest in high and G rank quests and changing the dialogue to be able to be displayed and speed through easier, or in 3U changing natural defense from 1 to 50. The one big exception was in the first game, where they added dual blades in localization.

Top Bottom