• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

KingBroly

Banned
Damn, because of MHXX Switch Ver. and Splatoon 2 it's going to be really hard to get your hands on a Switch if you live in Japan. A lot of Japanese consumers that want one are going to be disappointed.

In August, Switch will sell 5 million units in Japan, whereas the rest of the world it will sell none. Just to balance things out.

And at E3 they'll probably whisper "Pokemon" silently into the ears of their investors and they'll start building Money Bins again.

I'd import this but ideally I'd want a localisation that'll allow us to transfer MH Generations data over. I don't think I'd be able to start from scratch with the amount of bloat this game has.

I want to see how that looks on TV though because last time they did a quick port to console (aka MH3rd) it's a fucking mess. Hopefully this is not the case.

MH3U HD looked clean asf on a Panny plasma. You talking about the Wii one? If so, that's the fault of the hardware, not the game.

Pachimari

We need a localisation date for this stuff.

I might jump in on it, but I honestly never really got started with Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate, so I'm wary it might not entirely be for me. But I did like the core combat of the game, and if this has the same, or improved, combat I should probably check it out at least.

Multiplayer parity is a reason.

its a good thing this is cooperative multiplayer not competitive

We need a localisation date for this stuff.

I might jump in on it, but I honestly never really got started with Monster Hunter 4: Ultimate, so I'm wary it might not entirely be for me. But I did like the core combat of the game, and if this has the same, or improved, combat I should probably check it out at least.

4U is the better newcomer game. Theres actually somewhat of a story and it teaches you how to play as you go along

TreIII

feels like this also confirms MH5 also will be cross generation

I dunno. I think they're getting people used to the idea of Switch being the successor now, so that when the 3DS holdouts are forced to upgrade to keep up, it won't be such a shock.

I mean, otherwise, why did Capcom insist Nintendo up the Switch specs a bit at their request?

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
feels like this also confirms MH5 also will be cross generation

It's possible, but I don't think this particular game points to that. MH3G was 3DS/Wii U, but MH4 and MH4G were both 3DS-only. I think MH5 has a few platform possibilities.

August 25th is the same date MHP3rd for PS3 got released. MH3G and MH4 got announced on September 12th, just before TGS.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Rodin

Did they mention that? or is it an assumption so that it is on par with the 3ds? (Is the 3ds version even 30fps? doesn't feel it [at least generations didn't feel 30fps])
The fact that they discussed resolutions but didn't say anything about frame rate is worrisome. They might also want to keep 30fps for parity with the 3DS, which runs at that frame rate, yeah.

Is the video even 60fps? Can't tell from my phone's browser.

Madao

At this point Stars and Smash hitting this year would be overkill. Switch is already going to be out of stock for the remainder of the year in Japan, possibly everywhere.

Nintendo should save Stars and Smash for Q1 and Summer of next year, respectively.

release everything this year.

it's about time Nintendo shuts up the fools who keep saying the Switch has no games. they should put all their inmediate hand on deck and watch the industry panic as the Switch takes over, especially since those 2 games are ports so they're not rushed in development like their actual new games (i still think Xenoblade will get a delay)

Is there crossplay between the 3DS and Switch versions. If not, why should parity matter. If there is, This isn't a competitive fps where a difference in framerate could give the one with a better frame rate the advantage. It's a co op monster hunter. If the Switch version really is 30 fps, I don't think its because of parity, but because they couldn't be added to up it to 60 fps. Or maybe some animations are locked at 30 fps and that things start to become funky when upped to 60 fps.

MH3U HD looked clean asf on a Panny plasma. You talking about the Wii one? If so, that's the fault of the hardware, not the game.

No. I was talking about the Monster Hunter 3rd HD on PS3. The UI and texts are pixelated on TV. It's basically a PSP game overblown on the big screen.

The 3U was the game that pushed me to buy the WiiU and it's far from being a rushed port. It's probably my most favorite MH of all time.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Massive step up from this literal feces.

3DS was just so, so bad on so many levels.

Always looked bad in screens but when played on the 3DS it looks quite solid imo. Still the difference to the Switch version will be massive thanks to the resolution.

dlauv

They'd be silly not to release this in the US. Bomberman is doing better than ever in the franchise because of the Switch drip-feed. I'm looking forward to holiday season.

Renekton

Ya not to mention the online-coop market has exploded with Wildlands and Destiny.

With MH, DDO and cancelled DD, I wonder why Capcom is so hesistant. Maybe it was the failed Resident Evil spinoff thingy.

Well crap. Here I was thinking I could dodge Nintendo's online subscription, but I forgot about Monster Hunter. It looks like a quick and dirty up-port, but that's good enough for me.

Dingens

Kinda fascinating how easily you can tell which parts of the game came from the psp...
(and those parts look the worst in the trailer sadly)

They'd be silly not to release this in the US. Bomberman is doing better than ever in the franchise because of the Switch drip-feed. I'm looking forward to holiday season.

isnt MH also selling pretty well in the west nowadays? i think 4G did pretty well?

Neoxon

At this point Stars and Smash hitting this year would be overkill. Switch is already going to be out of stock for the remainder of the year in Japan, possibly everywhere.

Nintendo should save Stars and Smash for Q1 and Summer of next year, respectively.
Pokémon has launched during the holidays for the last 3 years, so there's that to consider. Plus Game Freak already had their skip year back in 2015.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
But if this is just a straight port with HD textures, I don't expect that to change.

I Hinksey the wiiu one was at a higher or more stable frame rate
As for resolution bump, redone texture, cross save and play. ..I think we could look at that situation for a slightly better frame rate

mugwhump

I wonder if they'll make any gameplay/balance adjustments. I suppose crossplay means they'd have to patch them into the 3DS version. But the 3DS version will probably need a patch anyway to play with Switch.

opricnik

Banned
Nintendo needs to full throtle since they dont have to support both platforms anymore.So nah to who says Pokemon and Smash should be delayed or shit like that.Go full on , they barely joined next gen from middle , so they should attack with full force(games) to catch up userbase.

Peru

Nintendo needs to full throtle since they dont have to support both platforms anymore.So nah to who says Pokemon and Smash should be delayed or shit like that.Go full on , they barely joined next gen from middle , so they should attack with full force(games) to catch up userbase.

Catching up user base isn't really a problem first year. The system will be sold out through to 2018.

Top Bottom