• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

Dingens

I considered this, but I'm pretty sure save files on the Switch are tied to the account, so If I wanted to switch (HAHA!) back to my NA account, I don't think I could keep the save file, even if it would let me play the game in English.

Very unlikely. If it's anything like the Monster Hunter games before, than the Japanese version and the "not-japanese" version will be like 2 separate games - mostly due to licensing like special branded items.

Improved resolution and shadows are all I notice.

There is also a visible bump in poly count (noticeable in the screenshot with the ship)

Always looked bad in screens but when played on the 3DS it looks quite solid imo. Still the difference to the Switch version will be massive thanks to the resolution.

sometimes I wonder if people who refer to screenshots when talking about the 3ds monster hunter games actually played them... because in motion on the screen they don't look anywhere near as bad. The game's style, and the 3ds in general, just doesn't lend itself to pics

NewGame

Banned
MH3U HD looked clean asf on a Panny plasma. You talking about the Wii one? If so, that's the fault of the hardware, not the game.

Dude Mon Hun Tri is still the best looking Monster Hunter, it had a beautiful cohesive style and looked better than anything before it.

MouldyK

X came out November and we got Generations in July. So if it took 8 months to translate, we'd easily be looking at a November release here unless Capcom/Nintendo don't want it in the Winter and push it to January.

Though of course, the difference between 4G and 4U was only 4 months (October - February)...so it's quite possible we could get August too.

jrcbandit

What if Monster Hunter Stories fails in the West (likely to happen) and then they decide due to poor sales, not to release XX/Generation Generations ;p. Wish they would just cancel Stories release and focus on quickly releasing XX in the West in 2017.

What if Monster Hunter Stories fails in the West (likely to happen) and then they decide due to poor sales, not to release XX/Generation Generations ;p. Wish they would just cancel Stories release and focus on quickly releasing XX in the West in 2017.

Capcom probably won't base the decision to localize the Switch version of XX on the sales of a 3DS spinoff launching in the west six and a half years into the system's life.

HawthorneKitty

Sgt. 2nd Class in the Creep Battalion, Waifu Wars
You'd give up a game just to get another faster? You greedy fuck.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Guys, the Japanese release date is on a Friday. That's an extremely unusual release day for Japan (Thursday is usually when games are released, or Saturday for major titles)...unless you follow the current "simultaneous WW policy" from Nintendo on Switch, the same one followed by USFII due also to NoE doing the publishing duties in Europe.

It looks nowhere near that bad on the screen of the 3DS. You're blowing up a 240p image to 360p. Of course its gonna look far shittier.

Dude Mon Hun Tri is still the best looking Monster Hunter, it had a beautiful cohesive style and looked better than anything before it.

Sorry but 480p looks like shit on any modern TV. Style means nothing when the game is blurry as fuck.

Gimme the clean presentation of MH3U HD any day.

PKrockin

Monster Hunter Stories is scheduled for Q4 in the West. I don't think they'd want to release XX and Stories in the West close to each other, would they? So it's probably either simultaneous WW release, or early next year, I guess.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
They'd be silly not to release this in the US. Bomberman is doing better than ever in the franchise because of the Switch drip-feed. I'm looking forward to holiday season.

Capcom has been wanting to expand this series out of Japan so its likely to be released in the US

FingerBang

Wow, cheap. Might end up getting it on day one.

The graphics are meh but the only thing I care about is the controls so looking forward to that.

Cuburt

Time to hunt some monsters.

Higher resolutions and higher res textures definitely feel like a decent upgrade that makes a big difference, having really enjoyed the Wii U version of MH3U vs the 3DS version.

Would be so exciting to see a MH built from the ground up to take advantage of the Switch.

Monster Hunter Stories is scheduled for Q4 in the West. I don't think they'd want to release XX and Stories in the West close to each other, would they? So it's probably either simultaneous WW release, or early next year, I guess.
Maybe keep Stories on 3ds as a spin off and XX as the fancy Switch game and release it in Q4 anyway? Then again this shouldn't take ages to release in the West since X was already translated... Just need the new stuff done.

Toxi

Banned
Lagi is so lame in Generations. They tried to spruce its attacks up to make it a threat on land but it just isn't.
They basically took the Monster Hunter Frontier route of "throw more glowy shit on the screen."

It's a shame because Lagiacrus's underwater animations were amazing. On land it's Agnaktor lite.

Though I think I struggled against Ivory Lagiacrus in 3U more than the Generations Lagiacrus, so even then it's a disappointment.

sirap

Proper analog sticks alone is enough to justify a repurchase. I really hope they don't take too long with the localization, fans managed to translate the Japanese version pretty quickly, Capcom should do better.

redcrayon

I always thought the underwater areas of deserted island were quite beautiful, sometimes I'd go swimming and gathering there just to unwind.

Zedark

This and Splatoon 2 both in the span of two months. How is Nintendo going to meet demand? How?
Maybe that's why we're seeing such low shipments in Japan? Because they're saving up stock for not one but two massive launches (and ARMS before the two).

MouldyK

It reminded me I can play Split Joy-Cons for this game...

koizumi1.gif

Why are so many people saying it's just a resolution increase and nothing more? Every single texture is visibly remade in a much higher resolution (even taking the overall resolution increase into account). Polygon count is the same but just about everything else is very noticeably better.

I think it looks great. Massive step up.

Kudo

Dream come true, now only if they announce western date at E3 this is the excuse I needed to get my friends to buy the Switch and play Splatoon 2 with me.

Any guess as to when we can maybe expect US release? I know it's possible to download it on the Japanese store but I want to wait until the US version gets released.

HowZatOZ

Banned
Well fuck me. Gonna have to finish Zelda by then. Considering I have at least 40 hours and have only just arrived at the village with the tech person I'm screwed. God dammit. Too many games. I don't even have Mario, Lego or hell even anything else. Fuck.

Any guess as to when we can maybe expect US release? I know it's possible to download it on the Japanese store but I want to wait until the US version gets released.

2/3s of the game was translated last year it would be weird for it to not come out in the west 2017 as well but nintendo will probably move it to march 2018 to pad out releases

2/3s of the game was translated last year it would be weird for it to not come out in the west 2017 as well but nintendo will probably move it to march 2018 to pad out releases

Good to know. At least we are getting a switch Monster Hunter earlier than I personally expected.

Zedark

It's not inconceivable (though fully unconfirmed) that this gets a worldwide release. It releases on Friday, which is quite un usual for Japanese releases that aren't simultaneously worldwide releases, and furthermore the localisation work for the game will have started since the release of the 3ds version, meaning it could very well be done by August 25th.

Top Bottom