• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter XX Switch Trailer. August 25. Save Transfers. 3DS Cross Play. Bundle.

disco

This and Splatoon 2 both in the span of two months. How is Nintendo going to meet demand? How?

Haven't you heard, they purposefully don't want to meet demand. I hear their next step is to keep releasing great games whilst producing zero new systems.

Looks poor graphically. If I end up buying a Switch this year I'll still get MHXX for it. I hope they do some major graphical work for the next instalment though.

It's a port from 3DS, so what did you expect? I'd say it looks pretty good for what it is.

Still looks like a PS2 game in 1080p. They improved the shadow quality a bit and increased the resolution but that's about it, doesn't look that much better than what people get from using Citra with 3DS roms.

Edit: They seem to have increased the texturequality and added some Anti Aliasing though.

Well, it's a 3DS game in 1080p. So that'd be why. Also, the've massively improved textures.

Mokujin

* True dual analog controls
* 1080p docked
* Reworked textures
* Better shadows
* TV play
* Cross play with 3DS
* August 2017!!

That really seals the 3rd quarter in Japan along with Splatoon giving Switch a lot of momentum before the Fall, I'm really surprised at the release date, I expected this happening for Xmas season at the earliest and even had some doubts about Capcom releasing it this year with 3DS strong performance plus 2DS release.

Eolz

Sooner than expected, but looks exactly as many thought. It's just like 3U, which isn't surprising at all.
I was hoping for MonHun themed joycons you could buy separately though :p

Great news for the 3DS crosstransfer and crossplay too, will really help for its success.

Now only have to hope for localization announcement at E3, and MH5 teased/confirmed at TGS, which is just a bit after its release...

preach!

doesnt matter to me if its still a tad ugly

this is a crucial first step to recovery of the franchise

i wouldn't say I'm a graphics whore most of the time...but this series needed an overhaul after the PSP games and it didn't get it (ok, it looks better than on PSP but barely thanks to that horrendous resolution).

I think you get my point, lol. and I'm happy it's finally being forced into the 2010s.

gogogow

yeah but do you feel like a winner?

i certainly didnt after 5 entries on 3DS

talk about excessive punishment

I do feel like a winner. Without Nintendo, without the 3DS, I wouldn't be playing a localised version of MH. Punishment? No one is forcing you to play and/or buy the games. Go play MH Online or something? In the end it's your own decision.
There's no one to blame, but yourself.

I like everything that I'm reading. Nice to know that the progress from X can be transferred over to the Switch as well. The release date is sooner than anticipated which I love and more than anything I'm just relieved that no matter what shenanigans they come up with in regard to a Western release date I can still play this game sooner thanks to no region lock. Playing Portable 3rd HD in Japanese didn't bother me much at all I remember. If there's no simultaneous release (which there probably won't be) chances are very high I'm going to cave and get the Japanese release.
Also it looks about as expected which doesn't bother me in the slightest. I'm just happy that I'm getting decent controls on the Switch and more importantly I don't have to perma-squint any more.

Is this really going to be as big a seller as people are claiming? I thought tv gaming in japan was really dwindling? If that's the case then isn't this just a slightly better looking version of a game many of them will have already played?

Bet they had no problem playing it on PSP.

People have been making fun of the claw mechanics for a long time. I don't willingly subject myself worse control schemes. It's why i'd rather play Monster Hunter Fredom Unite on my VIta with dual analog sticks than to play the newer ones on my n3DS.

Cerium

Is this really going to be as big a seller as people are claiming? I thought tv gaming in japan was really dwindling? If that's the case then isn't this just a slightly better looking version of a game many of them will have already played?

It'll do a million easily.

The amount of people talking about the 3DS games as if they're unplayable is hilarious.

This won't end with the switch version so it's not a big deal. People will still find that controls are clunky and stiff even if you give them the best controller, graphics are outdated (yes) and will declare that the game is not for them after completing the GS tutorial.

NewGame

Banned
Bet they had no problem playing it on PSP.

latest

I love handheld monster hunter, it may be gone forever... but I will have my claw to always remember.

it's not as if any of them own a 3DS or play MH, so it's a "whatever" moment

While I think that some people might exaggerate a bit (me included) to brush them all off like that is more than a little ridiculous. I played and owned every single 3DS entry and while I enjoyed my time immensely there's not the slightest doubt in my mind that playing it on Wii U was way more comfortable and the same is going to go for the Switch version. And as for the 'well don't buy it' comments: you can play something even though you realise that some stuff is less than stellar and can be improved on and still enjoy yourself.
Honestly I was pretty fine with 3DS up until Generations and the hunter arts. Not having ZR and ZL on my regular XL meant that using hunter arts 2 and 3 via the touch screen was really clumsy and the first time where I felt that the controls got in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

SuperSah

Banned
It's butt ugly but I expected that given the job they did with 3U for Wii U.

I played hundreds of hours of 4U, but I couldn't play Generations as by that point the visuals just looked so bad and blurry.

Kinsei

Banned
I'm glad there's a save transfer. I wouldn't want to redo all of the old quests before jumping into the new content.

Hopefully we get a localization announcement at E3.

The hell is that abomination?

The best way to play monster hunter. I really hate that Nintendo have been putting their D-pads under their analog sticks. I prefer the claw to dual analog camera control.

nubbe

While I think that some people might exaggerate a bit (me included) to brush them all off like that is more than a little ridiculous. I played and owned every single 3DS entry and while I enjoyed my time immensely there's not the slightest doubt in my mind that playing it on Wii U was way more comfortable and the same is going to go for the Switch version. And as for the 'well don't buy it' comments: you can play something even though you realise that some stuff is less than stellar and can be improved on and still enjoy yourself.
Honestly I was pretty fine with 3DS up until Generations and the hunter arts. Not having ZR and ZL on my regular XL meant that using hunter arts 2 and 3 via the touch screen was really clumsy and the first time where I felt that the controls got in the way of my enjoyment of the game.

get a circle pad pro or hunter grip and stop whining.
MH on WiiU and 3DS is exactly the same game.

Mokujin

latest

I love handheld monster hunter, it may be gone forever... but I will have my claw to always remember.

My fingers are so grateful that this is a thing of the past, we have been getting progressively better solutions and now with Switch we'll get finally a great portable dual analog control in MH.

I know it's a port but it still looks shit. I'd expect them to actually overhaul the graphics so it doesn't like a PS2 game. But Capcom gonna be Capcom.
"I want them to make a new game from scratch"

It looks like they upgraded the textures and meshes. Not sure what you were expecting. It's still the same game that was on 3DS. They can only do so much without needing to start from scratch. This is a remastered port, not a remake.

See

This is the kind of shit we have been dealing with for years

Instead of demanding better the fanbase tells you to fuck off and deal with it

Well now we dont have to. Just buy it on the switch and forget this horrible generation

The hell is that abomination?
That's how we played MH a couple of years ago.

And guess what, it was amazing. It just keeps getting better.

Sadly I'm not convinced with this port. Thought it would be a bit better looking. Or maybe 60 fps would impress me.

Nesther

See

This is the kind of shit we have been dealing with for years

Instead of demanding better the fanbase tells you to fuck off and deal with it

Well now we dont have to. Just buy it on the switch and forget this horrible generation

The controls have been fine since the release of the n3DS.

That's how we played MH a couple of years ago.

And guess what, it was amazing. It just keeps getting better.

Sadly I'm not convinced with this port. Thought it would be a bit better looking. Or maybe 60 fps would impress me.

PSP era was only amazing because

- It was portable

- It was fresh at the time

- It was huge

I dont want to go back to claw and saying its amazing is some serious mental gymnastics I would expect from someone telling me 3DS didnt have issues

To me the peak of the series in both quality, features and control was the WiiU version (and even that version has issues) but now Im ready to crown the Switch version really soon i imagine

The controls have been fine since the release of the n3DS.

Tolerable? Depends on the player.

For me it was nice to have the Nub but I would have traded my system in for 2 full sticks in a heartbeat

To me there is no question as to what is superior especially with the switch port on the horizon

Wamb0wneD

Do people really think this will sell that well in Japan? The core of the MH fanbase tehre already has XX on the 3DS for a while, will most of them really jump on this because it has higher res? The best case scenario I can see is people buying it wor Splatoon and some of them might go: Eh, why not, now that i got the console already might as well pick up MH for it.

wbEMX

* True dual analog controls
* 1080p docked
* Reworked textures
* Better shadows
* TV play
* Cross play with 3DS
* August 2017!!

That really seals the 3rd quarter in Japan along with Splatoon giving Switch a lot of momentum before the Fall, I'm really surprised at the release date, I expected this happening for Xmas season at the earliest and even had some doubts about Capcom releasing it this year with 3DS strong performance plus 2DS release.
Well, that convinced me for sure! First Monster Hunter in seven years for me. Loved my time with MHTri back in the day, but my friends and me never got into it again due to the focus on 3DS.

Top Bottom