• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MONSTER, RedBull, G-Fuel, coffee ~ [Sugar/Caffeine energy drinks preferences]

I've been on and off caffeine and/or sugar drinks for years but I've jumped back on the Monster train and it gives me some serious brain fuel. I thought about investing in G-fuel but it almost seems like a marketing scam with how much money they waste on getting e-celebs to promote them and the effort to mix the drink seems like a hassle to the point of inconsistent results.

So with my new found addiction (I had tried the sugar free only before), I'm wondering what your pick-me-up of choice is.

I'm torn between going sugar free or not because I'm afraid I won't get the same results, like a placebo that I need the sugar. I mean, I know the sugar WORKS, so there's a risk of having a worse outcome by removing something? And it's tastier. Personally I'm addicted to The Doctor;
74a76a6972c4653e02ad50ad0c48af02.png

500ml
160g of caffeine
52g of sugar

I believe this is an EU only product. As best I can describe it's kind of very close to Fanta and satisfying to drink slowly.

I forced myself into buying some other flavors but I find I drink the sugar free versions way too fast for some reason. There's very little satisfaction in drinking it. I'm guessing it's the lack of sugar? Your tongue is tasting the sweetener but there's no refreshment.

Another very popular flavor in the EU is the Lewis Hamilton one (I know because the store rarely has them);
6717aef2392946bdd6d2f8879a9ff72e.png

500ml
21g of sugar
160g of caffeine

I believe it's supposed to be a grape flavor. It seems like a nice middle ground cutting down on the sugar for the sake of teeth preservation but I find the flavor to be too much like Redbull, almost like a cheap copy....

Outside of those I've been on the coffee train for years but it just fucks up my insides and you end up needing another cup every hour from my experience. I remembering having to go to the toilet every 20 minutes and I only really felt agitated.

So what's your choices? Any advice?

Last edited:
Monster is syrupy bullshit. When I did drink energy drinks it was Full Throttle baby. Cause I live my life throttled to the full.

Manus

I usually stick to coffee and sugar free Red Bull. I have been liking some of the Bang energy drinks some of their flavors are great.

Monster is syrupy bullshit. When I did drink energy drinks it was Full Throttle baby. Cause I live my life throttled to the full.

This is how I feel about Coca Cola. Weirdly I don't find Diet Coke to be that syrupy.

I usually stick to coffee and sugar free Red Bull. I have been liking some of the Bang energy drinks some of their flavors are great.

Heard of this through a friend of a friend but haven't had a chance to try yet. Don't see it in stores, which means ordering a 12 pack online of potentially something that's a complete waste, a bit like ordering a full tub of G-fuel (even the samples pack would be expensive). :(

Manus

This is how I feel about Coca Cola. Weirdly I don't find Diet Coke to be that syrupy.

Heard of this through a friend of a friend but haven't had a chance to try yet. Don't see it in stores, which means ordering a 12 pack online of potentially something that's a complete waste, a bit like ordering a full tub of G-fuel (even the samples pack would be expensive). :(

They have some unique flavors. I love the Rainbow Unicorn one. Where do you live? Most every major gas station and grocery here carries them here.

They have some unique flavors. I love the Rainbow Unicorn one. Where do you live? Most every major gas station and grocery here carries them here.

UK. I think from what I recall the friend of a friend was from Poland, availability might vary across EU. G-fuel is hard to get in without local resellers on Amazon/eBay.

EDIT: Holy fuck it has 300mg of caffeine per can. I might have to just bite the bullet, but it ends up costing around $3 a can. :(

Last edited:

eot

Banned
I literally get free RedBull and I don't drink that shit.

Tea / coffee please. Mainly coffee at work, tea at home.

I've went with an order of Bang 12 pack, Rainbow Unicorn. Apparently Monster have their own Bang clone called REIGN but it's just as difficult to find.

Going to stick with the OG first.

Manus

UK. I think from what I recall the friend of a friend was from Poland, availability might vary across EU. G-fuel is hard to get in without local resellers on Amazon/eBay.

EDIT: Holy fuck it has 300mg of caffeine per can. I might have to just bite the bullet, but it ends up costing around $3 a can. :(

Ouch yeah that's expensive. Their anywhere from $1.50 to $2.00 here. I think the increased caffiene is to replace a preworkout at least I think that's what their aiming for.

Armorian

Banned
I'm drinking White ultra on my morning shifts but i need to drop this shit:

monsterultrawhite-600x600.png

Overall I like Mango version the best, it doesn't taste like energy drink at all.

I'm drinking White ultra on my morning shifts but i need to drop this shit:

Overall I like Mango version the best, it doesn't taste like energy drink at all.

This was the one I started and dropped Monster with, didn't try the others at the time. From what I remember it was just kind of a "fizzy drink" with no real taste.

I'm trying to cut added sugars out of my diet entirely.

But yes I want to do it too for my teeth, especially with braces at the moment. Might need to adopt some sort of cup with a permanent straw, hear that helps.

Runa

For those that don't want any sugar:

They also have loose leaf tea: https://runa.com/products/ which I've had before and is actually more potent than the drinks.

Very interesting my guy. Never seen this one before. I was going to say it seemed like a drink to separate oneself from the low class plebians with thou mass market non-organic non-fair trade consumable liquids.

BUT, it's actually cheap as fuck in the UK, almost like there must be a catch.... Will definitely give it a shot. Sensible amount of sugar, 150mg of caffeine, not too much liquid.

Very interesting my guy. Never seen this one before. I was going to say it seemed like a drink to separate oneself from the low class plebians with thou mass market non-organic non-fair trade consumable liquids.

BUT, it's actually cheap as fuck in the UK, almost like there must be a catch.... Will definitely give it a shot. Sensible amount of sugar, 150mg of caffeine, not too much liquid.

Yup, it's cheaper than Red Bull, and doesn't taste dirty/rough like some of the others like Monster/Rockstar/etc.

And I highly recommend the normal Berry flavor. It's awesome honestly. Drinking one right now in fact.

Last edited:

Mista

Banned
I’m a coffee person. Making me a cup of coffee right now as I’m writing this post

I sometimes crave the redbull taste so I get one from time to time. Would like to try Monster and Rockstar

Ememee

Back in the day? in my early-to-mid 20s, I used to down two tall cans of Red Bulls daily due to work/school. Was insanity. These days, I stick to coffee, no sugar, and occasionally I’ll bust out a Monster Zero Ultra or the smallest can of sugar-free Redbull, and literally spread it over a couple of days with a sip every now and then.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
The only energy drinks I like are Java Monster. I don't like carbonation so the iced coffee Monsters are the way to go.

Otherwise for caffeine I drink coffee, iced coffee or chocolate milk.

Fox Mulder

I loved a bunch of the Bang flavors and it has 300 mg caffeine.

I'm trying to cut added sugars out of my diet entirely.

i want to at some point but have at least dialed down energy drinks. I just saw sparkling water energy drinks at the store today.

foxGlove

Neo Member
apparently I’m super weak to caffeine; a cup of latte after lunch = me struggling to fall asleep at night.

So I’m sticking to tea and if I really need to stay awake, coffee it is. Usually latte or cappuccino with no sugar. Can’t drink ‘em black.
but tea’s enough for most days.

apparently I’m super weak to caffeine; a cup of latte after lunch = me struggling to fall asleep at night.

So I’m sticking to tea and if I really need to stay awake, coffee it is. Usually latte or cappuccino with no sugar. Can’t drink ‘em black.
but tea’s enough for most days.

I've been an insomnia person for half my life now, but I find more often than not I feel more rejuvenated with caffeine when I do sleep and feel a lot better when I wake up even with less of it. I know people who must have a cup of coffee before going to bed.

Tea and coffee just make me piss constantly.

foxGlove

Neo Member
I've been an insomnia person for half my life now, but I find more often than not I feel more rejuvenated with caffeine when I do sleep and feel a lot better when I wake up even with less of it. I know people who must have a cup of coffee before going to bed.

Tea and coffee just make me piss constantly.

Well, everyone have different reaction to caffeine. And me barely consume any might lead me to have lower tolerance, I don’t exactly need them anyway to stay awake.

I guess my ability to stay awake with no caffeine stems from my high school years. was sleeping < 4 hours during school days, woke up at 4:30, going to school at 5:15 because school started at 6:30.
Got home at around 6:30~7:00PM and still need to do homework etc. everyday like a clockwork.
for my third year i also went to a cram school, so I’m usually home at around 9 PM.
Man those were the days.

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Mountain dew kickstart

17-19g of sugar per can and really sustains a good boost for like 6 hours for me (I hardly ever take caffeine so I'm sensitive to it)

belmarduk

Monster makes some really good tea-flavored energy drinks in green and white. Not too much sugar like so many of their drinks.

SpiceRacz

Black coffee most days, but if I'm gonna have an energy drink it's this:

2195782_01

All the other Bang flavors taste like shit. This at least resembles the flavor of a soda.

Last edited:

Nymphae

Banned
Never had a Monster or Redbull. If I'm feeling tired and think a drink will help, I go for a pop, or black light roast coffee with a bit of sugar.

Last edited:
When I drink coffee it's pure black. When it comes to energy drinks I usually go for Bangs or Monsters. I really like the coffee monsters and the sour Apple bang is my favorite from them.

I should add that there's a bit of unfortunate news with my BANG experiment. There seems to be a upper ceiling of 32g of caffeine per 100ml, so a 300g caffeine filled Bang is not for sale here, it's 160g of caffeine in 500ml cans like Monster. Would love to try the 300g version. :(

JSoup

Banned
I shouldn't drink that crap, but a Monster is nice every now and then. I had half a can today specifically because we were BBQing. Monster goes great with pork ribs.

Gamerguy84

Use these two a lot. BCAA is muscle fuel when working out or doing something physical.

dJGfitn.jpg

PRE will give you serious energy, it has beta alanine, citruline, and 300mg caffeine. Oh yeah and electrolytes. I wouldnt recommend anyone take PRE if you arent going to a gym, its that kind of energy.

bqjVgYn.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom