• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Why are energy drinks restricted in UK?

Meowzers

As far as I'm aware an energy drink like Red Bull with 30mg caffeine per 100ml caffeine is restricted...

But recently I discovered a ready-made coffee drink in the same shop has the exact same caffeine and even more sugar is perfectly fine to buy, which has same total volume as Red Bull at 250ml.

Meaning I could buy in self-service with no questions asked.

Why can I buy ready-made coffee but not Red Bull?

YCoCg

It was a thing a few years back when they was loaded with sugar too, kids used to buy this shit in droves, even teens were mixing it with ectasy to get more of a rush or some shit. Either way the restriction was never lifted even though I think most energy drinks are zero sugar now.

Meowzers

It was a thing a few years back when they was loaded with sugar too, kids used to buy this shit in droves, even teens were mixing it with ectasy to get more of a rush or some shit. Either way the restriction was never lifted even though I think most energy drinks are zero sugar now.

But buying it in your 30's even in sugar-free form will mean you can't just buy it like back in the old days.

YCoCg

But buying it in your 30's even in sugar-free form will mean you can't just buy it like back in the old days.
What restriction are we talking about here? They get flagged if you try and check out with them but there's no limit as to how much you can buy, and in all honestly most store workers don't give a shit if you have a 4-pack or carrying six crates of the stuff as long as you're not a teen.

Riven326

Banned
I didn't even know it was restricted. 😂

Oh, fucking hell, you British. What is the deal with the nanny state stuff? Why can't you all just to elect Tommy Robinson as prime minister and get your balls back? Stop restricting caffeine. Ffs.

Meowzers

What restriction are we talking about here? They get flagged if you try and check out with them but there's no limit as to how much you can buy, and in all honestly most store workers don't give a shit if you have a 4-pack or carrying six crates of the stuff as long as you're not a teen.

But in the UK, you get flagged as if you're buying a can for yourself or buying dynamite for Joaquin Guzman to escape his prison cell.

Hope that explains a bit.

Meowzers

I didn't even know it was restricted. 😂

Oh, fucking hell, you British. What is the deal with the nanny state stuff? Why can't you all just to elect Tommy Robinson as prime minister and get your balls back? Stop restricting caffeine. Ffs.

I didn't know it was restricted until I was suckling Tommy Robinson at his nipple.

YCoCg

But in the UK, you get flagged as if you're buying a can for yourself or buying dynamite for Joaquin Guzman to escape his prison cell.

Hope that explains a bit.
Seriously that's what you're complaining about? You get flagged for ANY items which require shop worker approval, Energy Drinks never had their restriction lifted but legit as long as you're not a kid or in high school they'll instantly pass you and you only have to do it once.

GV82

Kids fault, they get addicted to them.

Apparently many kids don’t like the taste of Coffee it’s disgusting to them, so i’ve been told so thats why we can buy strong coffee.

And people who have drunk too many in one sitting & have had a heart scare, ( I reckon they already had underlying health conditions anyway because some scientist worked out the amount you'd need to die is something like 25 500ml cans in one day I think.

Also I can buy 6-12 cans at a checkout with a human behind a counter with barely a flinch, try that.

- I’m a Energy Drink addict of over 13 years

Last edited:

Meowzers

Seriously that's what you're complaining about? You get flagged for ANY items which require shop worker approval, Energy Drinks never had their restriction lifted but legit as long as you're not a kid or in high school they'll instantly pass you and you only have to do it once.

Yes, but I had to legit wait for about 10 minutes once. And I'm not much of a person that likes confrontation, so it means I was slightly late for work.

Top Bottom