• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Official Call of Cthulhu, Please

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
I hope we are getting more official Call of Cthulhu games.

Chaosium and Focus Home Interactive announce partnership for a series of Call of Cthulhu computer games!

Posted by Michael O'Brien on 10th Apr 2019

We're pleased to announce Chaosium and Focus Home Interactive, publishers of Call of Cthulhu the Official Video Game, are partnering together to create a series of computer games based on the Call of Cthulhu RPG.

We'll have more details about this long-term partnership soon...

Still it seems like we won't because those games don't sell very well and they seem to be on shoe string budgets.

However, I want more official games like Call of Cthulhu released by Focus Home on 2018. It is one of the first that wasn't a knock-off or parody and is based on the official rules by Chaosium.

What would you like to see next adapted? 'At the Mountains of Madness' perhaps?

Last edited:
Not sure about official rules and all that, but I really love the style of the Cthulhu Mythos and have enjoyed it in the few games we've seen use it. Bloodborne did it really well and it's art direction was amazing. I'm on board for more Cthulhu.

I was really excited for the last game but reviews indicated that it was basically a walking simulator with inconsequential RPG mechanics. I don't know why these smaller developers don't focus on getting the gameloop right before anything else, they aren't under pressure to impress with Hollywood visuals and cutscenes and shit.

Darkmakaimura

I was really excited for the last game but reviews indicated that it was basically a walking simulator with inconsequential RPG mechanics. I don't know why these smaller developers don't focus on getting the gameloop right before anything else, they aren't under pressure to impress with Hollywood visuals and cutscenes and shit.
It is a walking simulator. There are multiple ways to solve some puzzles. There is no real combat minus one very short section.

But it's the closest you get to a real CoC game.

If you're looking for more fights, perhaps Sinking City is more for you which is also based off Lovecraft's works. Also Dark Corners of the Earth.

Last edited:
It is a walking simulator. There are multiple ways to solve some puzzles. There is no real combat minus one very short section.

But it's the closest you get to a real CoC game.

If you're looking for more fights, perhaps Sinking City is more for you which is also based off Lovecraft's works.

Not really looking for combat in a Lovecraft game, but they should go all in on a concept. A full-blown puzzler would work well in my estimation. Or even a turn-based RPG with light combat. Just pick something and stick to it, none of this "kinda rpg lite with action adventure elements" that ends up being nothing.

Darkmakaimura

Not really looking for combat in a Lovecraft game, but they should go all in on a concept. A full-blown puzzler would work well in my estimation. Or even a turn-based RPG with light combat. Just pick something and stick to it, none of this "kinda rpg lite with action adventure elements" that ends up being nothing.
It's fine. It uses the old Chaosium rules and the rpg elements definitely come into play. It's basically an investigative RPG.

My only big complaint so far would be the graphics. They are almost PS2 levels here.

That and I would love if we can get more Lovecraft games without fucking Cthulhu or Dagon. There's a shit ton of material in the Mythos and imo Cthulhu and even Dagon are overused. There's stories you can do around Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, Yogsothoth, the Dunwich Horror.... and even more minor entities.

Last edited:
It's fine. It uses the old Chaosium rules and the rpg elements definitely come into play. It's basically an investigative RPG.

My only big complaint so far would be the graphics. They are almost PS2 levels here.

That and I would love if we can get more Lovecraft games without fucking Cthulhu or Dagon. There's a shit ton of material in the Mythos and imo Cthulhu and even Dagon are overused. There's stories you can do around Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, Yogsothoth, the Dunwich Horror.... and even more minor entities.

Would love to see a game modeled on the Dunwich Horror or At the Mountains of Madness.

CuNi

I always felt like Cthulhu games would also make for great Survival Horror games or even VR-Games.

No thanks or at least nothing that has Focus Home attached to its name. Call of Cthulhu was shit and the other one from Frogware vanished from certain stores and it was also kinda shit from what I heard. The old CoC game was so much better than any of the modern shit we got. I've yet to play a good+ horror Lovecraft inspired game.

No thanks or at least nothing that has Focus Home attached to its name. Call of Cthulhu was shit and the other one from Frogware vanished from certain stores and it was also kinda shit from what I heard. The old CoC game was so much better than any of the modern shit we got. I've yet to play a good+ horror Lovecraft inspired game.

Dark Corners of the Earth was really good, I still play it sometimes.

Dark Corners of the Earth was really good, I still play it sometimes.

I remember getting so scared early on and that part where the townsfolk start chasing, jfc, at that time, that shit was intense. I've yet to experience that intensity in any similar recent games sadly :(

I just wish they'd get the Cthulhu references out of the current slate of Fallout games, reminds me too much of 4th wall breaking in Fallout 2 - they're well done, but they belong... elsewhere in a game of their own.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

I just wish they'd get the Cthulhu references out of the current slate of Fallout games, reminds me too much of 4th wall breaking in Fallout 2 - they're well done, but they belong... elsewhere in a game of their own.
I was never a big fan of Fallout games because of the 4th wall and other silliness.

Imo the Dunwich Borrowers from Fallout 3 and 4 were some of the more enticing elements.

I was never a big fan of Fallout games because of the 4th wall and other silliness.

Imo the Dunwich Borrowers from Fallout 3 and 4 were some of the more enticing elements.

They were well done, but the fact they were explicit Cthulhu references felt jarring - and they could have made the areas and quests just as cool and scary without those elements, so the 4th wall breaking wasn't necessary.

Not a fan of 4th wall breaking in games.

Top Bottom