• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Than 760,000 Pounds of Hot Pockets Recalled

MaestroMike

Gold Member

More Than 760,000 Pounds of Hot Pockets Recalled​

Nestlé Prepared Foods said the product might be contaminated with “extraneous materials,” including glass and hard plastic.​

Jan. 17, 2021, 11:05 a.m. ET

Nestlé Prepared Foods has recalled more than 700,000 pounds of frozen pepperoni Hot Pockets that may contain pieces of glass and hard plastic, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service said on Friday.

The recall was issued after Nestlé received four separate consumer complaints of “extraneous materials” in pepperoni Hot Pockets, the Food Safety and Inspection Service said.

The company said in a news release on Friday that contaminated products “could pose a choking or laceration risk and should be not be consumed.”

One consumer reported a “minor oral injury associated with consumption of this product,” but there had been no other reports of injury or illness, the Food Safety and Inspection Service said.

The recall includes approximately 762,615 pounds of pepperoni Hot Pockets that were packed in 54-ounce cartons containing 12 Hot Pockets with an expiration date of February 2022. The label reads “Nestlé Hot Pockets Brand Sandwiches: Premium Pepperoni Made With Pork, Chicken & Beef Pizza Garlic Buttery Crust.”

The recalled Hot Pockets were produced from Nov. 13 to Nov. 16 and shipped to stores across the country, the Food Safety and Inspection Service said.

“The quality, safety and integrity of Nestlé USA and Hot Pockets products remain our No. 1 priority,” Nestlé said. “We sincerely apologize for any inconvenience this action represents to both our consumers and retail customers.”

Nestlé did not immediately respond to additional inquiries.

The Food Safety and Inspection Service said the Hot Pocket recall was considered Class 1, a high-health risk “where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”

The service urged consumers to throw away or return the product.

Nestle acquired Chef America, which produced the top-selling Hot Pockets and Toaster Pizza snacks for the microwave, for $2.6 billion in 2002.

Marie Fazio is a general assignment reporter on the Express desk and a member of the 2020-2021 New York Times Fellowship class. @mariecfazio

If you eat hot pockets, double check if its the pepperoni ones with an expiration date of February 2022. The label reads “Nestlé Hot Pockets Brand Sandwiches: Premium Pepperoni Made With Pork, Chicken & Beef Pizza Garlic Buttery Crust.” Throw those ones out or return them the article says.

Last edited:

ManofOne

Plus Member
frustrated fuck me GIF

Ikutachi

Miss Vickie's chips had the same issue several months ago.

mcz117chief

So one guy injured himself while eating one and now 760k pounds of food needs to be destroyed because of it? What a waste. Either there is more to this story (source of debris found at the factory) or the reaction is severely overblown.

Last edited:

TindalosPup

I just discovered Hot Pockets are made in Kentucky; the place where there's more barrels of bourbon than people

Kinda glad the only product of theirs I like is the pretzel Lean Pockets and it's been almost 3 years since I've even eaten one

John2290

You Americans. Is this convenience or laziness? It's like a McDonalds "Apple pie" but with meat... why. SMFH.

John2290

What country are you talking shit from? :messenger_grinning_sweat:
Ireland (The good part) A more civilized and refined culture.

...Microwavable pastries filled with ham and cheese. That's a new level of laziness, I thought the microwavable burgers were bad but microwavable grilled cheese sandwiches. Lord God.

Tschumi

Reminds me of the Seinfeld episode where the Cubans roll crepes too tightly and they start exploding in people's faces.

A gif could not be located.

TheUsual

Gold Member
Ireland (The good part) A more civilized and refined culture.

...Microwavable pastries filled with ham and cheese. That's a new level of laziness, I thought the microwavable burgers were bad but microwavable grilled cheese sandwiches. Lord God.
Wait until you hear about our microwavable breakfast burritos. Eggs, cheese, and sausage!!!

John2290

Wait until you hear about our microwavable breakfast burritos. Eggs, cheese, and sausage!!!
We have the egg microwavers here too but it's considered impolite to microwave eggs and fish when others are around. There are people here who choose to but instant noodles into a bowl in the microwave instead of using a saucepan so I suppose we all have our degenerates.

John2290

You escalated that fairly heavy, lmao. We went from criticizing food to this, hehe. Say what you want about our History but even when there was a famine we didn't choose to eat cardboard, let alone when there is the choice of real food often for cheaper.

Ornlu

Banned
You escalated that fairly heavy, lmao. We went from criticizing food to this, hehe. Say what you want about our History but even when there was a famine we didn't choose to eat cardboard, let alone when there is the choice of real food often for cheaper.

Shepherd's Pie Hot Pockets comin' to ruin Irish waistlines everywhere.

It's all good, I just like to have fun with people from different countries talking shit about each other.

John2290

Shepherd's Pie Hot Pockets comin' to ruin Irish waistlines everywhere.

It's all good, I just like to have fun with people from different countries talking shit about each other.
We'll have hot whiskey Hot Pockets before they allow these abominations to contain "food".

And, yeah same. Jokes on us anyway, we let substantial amounts of horse meat into most of our imported processed meat products a decade ago because of the EU and we all just had to live with the fact that most of us probably ate half a horse, some maybe two or three horses.

Last edited:

Spaceman292

Banned

If you eat hot pockets, double check if its the pepperoni ones with an expiration date of February 2022. The label reads “Nestlé Hot Pockets Brand Sandwiches: Premium Pepperoni Made With Pork, Chicken & Beef Pizza Garlic Buttery Crust.” Throw those ones out or return them the article says.
That's what you get for eating fucking hotpockets. Do the people who eat these even care about living any decent length of time?

Ornlu

Banned
We'll have hot whiskey Hot Pockets before they allow these abominations to contain "food".

And, yeah same. Jokes on us anyway, we let substantial amounts of horse meat into most of our imported processed meat products a decade ago because of the EU and we all just had to live with the fact that most of us probably ate half a horse, some maybe two or three horses.

I had some horse in the Dominican back in the day; I didn't think it was bad. I love horses though, so it's not something I'd personally spring for; not a creature I think of as a food animal in my head.

Top Bottom