• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More than 80% of PS5 Owners Don't Have an Xbox Series X|S, SIE data reveals

CLW

Alternate headline 20% of PS5 owners are idiots or is 20% of ps5 sales Xbox players that canā€™t not play the Sony exclusives

Connxtion

We got numbers on how many took the survey?

Currently without that, all we know is it could have been 1000 folk šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

I personally never take surveys companies send me šŸ˜‚ and I wonā€™t be the only one.

Got PS5, XSX and Switch, but for most there really isnā€™t much reason to own multiple consoles anymore with exceptions like Nintendo Switch which generally offers a different experience and ā€œgenuineā€ exclusive games. Honestly, besides a handful of games, PlayStation has essentially everything XBOX has, very similar graphics and features. Thatā€™s why imo XBOX losing their identity hurt the appeal of the platform.

I'm apart of the 50% that went switch/PS5. Really shows just how bad MS is in this industry, and missed the mark with the series S (which for some reason is getting a price increase). They've built a completely redundant box to PS5 and it's a worse product. Then you consider if you really want to play some Xbox first party stuff, you can just play on PC.

smbu2000

I have XSX, PS5, Switch and PC.
Only one Iā€™d consider getting rid of would be the PS5 as that gets played the least in the household.

Bry0

Hasnt it been xbox and PC hand in hand since the launch of the One era? So the only BC stuff that would be maybe not on PC would be 360 and previous? Go pick up a cheap 360 or One for those oddballs?
No, some like halo 5 are not on pc, and many 360 games get 4K and fps enhancements like gears 2/3. BC on series x is awesome

Romulus

PC gaming is too convenient now. Controller based games that work out of the box and settings that are actually custom.

Xbox is essentially irrelevant with gamepass on PC. That has to be on the mind of any potential Xbox owner on ps5.

Kdad

No, some like halo 5 are not on pc, and many 360 games get 4K and fps enhancements like gears 2/3. BC on series x is awesome
Are those not on Ultimate and also playable on last gen (One) hardware...I guess we can find edge cases but you'd have to be pretty hardcore to justify an X just for those...

Clover904

Letā€™s see the Xbox numbers after September. Thatā€™s when I plan on getting one.
Microsoft needs to keeps investing in great looking titles like Starfield, Fable, South of Midnight, Hellblade and Hi-fi rush. Youā€™re turning heads. Keep the momentum going.

Bry0

Are those not on Ultimate and also playable on last gen (One) hardware...I guess we can find edge cases but you'd have to be pretty hardcore to justify an X just for those...
No not all the enhanced games get things like fps boost on last gen, and not all of them are on ultimate. Itā€™s just one way to use your series console.

Stare-Bear

Banned
Iā€™ve got a PS5, Switch and a mediocre PC. Gamepass for free with my broadband so I can play the two games a year that I find interesting on GamePass.

Topher

Gold Member
Can make sense for different rooms or your partner's house or whatever. But if you only game at the same spot not so much.

Helps a good bit in maximizing MS Rewards points with quests. And there are Game Pass games that are available on console but not PC (and vice versa).

Matsuchezz

-Backwards compatibility with some truly amazing games

-Gamepass and quick resume

-Starfield, Forza Horizon, Sea of Thieves, etc

-ecosystem made with future compatibility in mind

-Halo MCC multiplayer if they have any taste

Yikes, these reasons are the wrong reasons to buy an xbox console for me and I guess many more, according to the information shared in this thread.
The only reasons I would go out of my way and buy an Xbox console would be:
- Phil Spencer Confidence on xbox yearly games lineup.
- Phil Spencer Promises and gospel
- Xbox/MS transparent ideology towards gaming audiences.
- 30+ Development studios churning out turd after turd nonstop.
- Xbox cares about us the players, they care about us as much as any politician of this planet care about people.
/Sarcasm

There is a plethora of backward compatible titles on XBOX not well emulated on PC. There is also Epic Games/Origins/Ubisoft/Blizzard titles on PC, which are better experiences on console.

Last edited:

LostDonkey

Dolby Vision on Series X is absolutely worth the console alone. HDR10 on PS5 is piss poor in comparison.

My PS5 is an exclusive machine, Everything else is on Series X because of the DV and the Freesync support.

A lot of them are available on the One, but many feature enhancements exclusively on Series consoles. Things like framerate and resolution being key enhancements.

Last edited:

El Muerto

Who are they polling to get those numbers? I have a PS5, Series X and S, switch, PC, Steam deck. Definitely prefer playing on Xbox. Upscaled backwards compatibility is great as it's non-existant on PS. Quick resume and HDR perform better than the PS5, and i dont have to do that dumb storage repair if my console loses power. Plus day 1 releases on gamepass for even the big games, save anywhere for pc games, and MS rewards (scored the Series S for free).

DryvBy

I have one and it's used for emulators. If they get Activision (which I doubt), then it'll still be used for emulators. It's easily the 2nd worst purchase I've made in the last 10 years, the first being that awful Xbox One original console. I had less than five games to play for an entire generation on that Jaguar wannabe.

Embearded

Who are they polling to get those numbers? I have a PS5, Series X and S, switch, PC, Steam deck. Definitely prefer playing on Xbox. Upscaled backwards compatibility is great as it's non-existant on PS. Quick resume and HDR perform better than the PS5, and i dont have to do that dumb storage repair if my console loses power. Plus day 1 releases on gamepass for even the big games, save anywhere for pc games, and MS rewards (scored the Series S for free).
How often does your console lose power to use this argument?

Neo_GAF

Banned
you dont have to be smart to assume and know that in the end.

sony fans dont give a fuck about other systems. they stay on ps. even if they only play fifa, cod and nfl.

they even have to pay premium prices in psn, so why not change systems?

i remember during the ps360 times, you were able to snatch xbox games for almost half the price compared to ps3.

they should release starfield for ps5 once ps6 hits shelves.

Last edited:

lpking2005

Neo Member
I have a PS5, Series X, Switch and a PC.

I must admit though, since buying a PC two years ago i have rarely played any of the others except for the odd exclusive release.

All bases covered! šŸ‘

Roxkis_ii

Playstation, switch and pc.

I was thinking of grabbing a Xbox for Starfield, but I'm not buying a current gen console to play at last gen framerates. It's nothing else on Xbox I would look forward to after that. I had a Xbox 360 and I buy games, so gamepass don't mean shit to me. It's no reason to own an Xbox.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
"According to SIE internal surveys, almost half of PlayStation 5 owners in the United States also own a Nintendo Switch, while less than 20% of PlayStation 5 owners in the United States also own an Xbox Series X or S."

This is really interesting data that came out of today's hearing. And this is has huge business implications in my opinion. I'm listing a few of them here:
  • Microsoft introduced Series S as a "secondary" console. But the data shows that more than 80% of PS5 owners did not buy an X or S.
  • Perhaps this is also the reason why Series S did not perform as well as Microsoft (and everyone else) initially thought.
  • Importantly, this data is from the US -- which is the strongest market for Xbox and where people are most likely to buy an Xbox console, even if they have a PS5.
The last, most important point is the potential success of Starfield as a driver of Xbox console sales.

People expect that Starfield will sell Xbox consoles. MS made it exclusive hoping that even PS5 owners may switch to Xbox or buy a secondary Xbox console to play Starfield. The data so far suggests that the percentage would be extremely low.

Only 20% are dual console owners. Out of the rest of the 80%, a large percentage would not even be interested in playing Starfield. How many more will become a dual console owner because of just 1 game? That's an interesting question.

In light of this data, will Starfield be able to change this percentage, or will the exclusivity decision backfire on Microsoft if PS5 owners don't buy a secondary Series X or S to play Starfield, which leads to lower than projected revenue for Xbox?
Starfield is available on and will likely play best on pc. One huge reason 80% on Playstation owners don't have an Xbox is because they have a pc. That was another piece of info that came out of this case. Will Starfield help to move consoles? Maybe a bit, but I dont think Xbox cares either way. Pc or Xbox is fine. I think they would prefer their PC store was more popular though. Cuz a lot of folks will buy on Steam. Me included

Last edited:

MikeM

Starfield is available on and will likely play best on pc. One huge reason 80% on Playstation owners don't have an Xbox is because they have a pc. That was another piece of info that came out of this case. Will Starfield help to move consoles? Maybe a bit, but I dont think Xbox cares either way. Pc or Xbox is fine. I think they would prefer their PC store was more popular though. Cuz a lot of folks will buy on Steam. Me included
Same. Plan on paying for a month of GP to play it as a FU to MS.

And no way iā€™m being locked into 30fps. PC only for this game.

I only have ever owned Playstation and Nintendo systems, but will most likely buy a Series S when Starfield is released. I'm kind of bittersweet about it, cuz I don't really give Microsoft much credit for whether the game is good or bad. Majority of Starfield's development was done without Microsoft. Having said that, it does seem like this generation Microsoft is putting an honest foot forward to put out good games. I just hope it's not only through purchasing massive publishers, and it's with its own Xbox Game Studios

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
So 20% of all Xbox series owners dont have a PS5

Thinking Think GIF by Rodney Dangerfield

Ev1L AuRoN

I have a PS5/Switch/PC.

I have absolutely no reason to own an Xbox. To console only gamers, it might make more sense. PS5 and Xbox have pretty much the same games, and IMHO Sony is ahead on the exclusive front.

Reckheim

if you have a half decent pc there is zero reason to own an xbox, i'm not surprised.

Wish ps5 games came out day and date on pc too so I could get rid of all consoles.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Same. Plan on paying for a month of GP to play it as a FU to MS.

And no way iā€™m being locked into 30fps. PC only for this game.
I'm not really doing it as an FU to Microsoft. It's not that serious. I'm buying it on Steam because I prefer Steam's store and general interface. Simple as that. I'm a consumer. I don't get hung up which box or who's company is better and I certainly don't care enough to say FU to anybody.

Microsoft made Starfield available on Steam. That was their choice. So how much of an FU is it really since you're still buying their game on a platform they chose to make it available on?

Don't be a fan boy bro...you look silly

Edit: actually, fuck Jim Ryan, Aaron Greenberg and Matt Booty. I just don't like how they do things

Last edited:
Top Bottom