• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection coming to PSN, PC and XBLA this summer

Frankfurt

Banned
Radogol said:

Yep. They're smoothed out/filtered. You don't remember how pixelated a 240p sprite looks on 720p? There were dozens of owners of UMK3 and MK2 on PSN and live making the exact same comment.

Frankfurt said:
Yep. They're smoothed out/filtered. You don't remember how pixelated a 240p sprite looks on 720p? There were dozens of owners of UMK3 and MK2 on PSN and live making the exact same comment.

MK1-3 were 400x254 so they look a lot better than PSX games do on an HDTV (which are 320x224 I believe). MK2 and UMK3 on PSN and XBLA don't look half bad in HD and using Mame with the right filters you can make it look even better. If they used the HQ2x filter + changed the overlays to HD overlays, the game would look great.

Glass Joe

Looking forward to this, great price too. Day 1 for sure. Wonder what "Summer" means for a release date, exactly?

It'd be nice if they added an easy mode as the arcade MK2 and UMK3's are really too cheap for me to enjoy 1 player.

Glass Joe said:
Looking forward to this, great price too. Day 1 for sure. Wonder what "Summer" means for a release date, exactly?

It'd be nice if they added an easy mode as the arcade MK2 and UMK3's are really too cheap for me to enjoy 1 player.
I'm guessing September :|

If they gave you the classic costumes in MK9 for buying this, I'd bite easily.

Otherwise, not sure.

I really don't see the point in playing any other MK game now that 9 is out.

Slamtastic said:
If they gave you the classic costumes in MK9 for buying this, I'd bite easily.

Otherwise, not sure.

I really don't see the point in playing any other MK game now that 9 is out.
They might end up having better netcode than MK9...just sayin'

GrayFoxPL

The Lamonster said:
They might end up having better netcode than MK9...just sayin'

Not if fucking gamespy is on the job. I warn everyone about them, nobody listens.

People should persuade Boon to stop budying with them. Are they sending him free whores since Deception?

fernoca

Though the idea of unlocking the retro costumes that way would be cool.

That way they're technically charging for them, but still not having everyone around with them...and one not feeling bad for paying for on-disc stuff. :p

blurrygil

The Lamonster said:
Learn something new every day. Thanks guys!

My bad.

I'm an arcade machine collector/restorer, so that's what I've always referred to it. I suppose it isn't a bezel since an actual one covers the gap between the monitor and glass. :p

VGChampion said:
Hmmm, I was kind of thinking about picking up Mortal Kombat on PSN when it came back up so I'll probably just wait for this.

Unless I was thinking wrong and there currently isn't a MK on the store.

Ummmmm, there currently isn't a PSN store for MK to be on... ;-)

GrayFoxPL said:
Not if fucking gamespy is on the job. I warn everyone about them, nobody listens.

People should persuade Boon to stop budying with them. Are they sending him free whores since Deception?

Gamespy only hosts the ps3 servers, the netplay is peer to peer in mk9 and it's bad in mk9 because there's no rollback support. It's purely waiting on the inputs being sent back and forth between the players which is what causes the lag.

Good on them for including the collection with the PDP stick. Bad on them for making it exclusive to GameStop.

I also can't help but wish that this would get the Double Impact treatment in terms of including an option for a CRT display with replicated bezel border.

On one hand: cool. MK games in HD

On the other: I already have the superior version with online play (MKII on PSN). Besides playing people online, what more can these games offer me that I haven't experienced thousands of times over the years? Single player is atrocious. Making of's, debug modes, practice modes, single vs cpu mode (just fight over and over and select 'play again' against a random selected opponenet after you win or lose without the increasing frustration of ladder mode) would be neat.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
MoonsaultSlayer said:
On one hand: cool. MK games in HD

On the other: I already have the superior version with online play (MKII on PSN). Besides playing people online, what more can these games offer me that I haven't experienced thousands of times over the years? Single player is atrocious. Making of's, debug modes, practice modes, single vs cpu mode (just fight over and over and select 'play again' against a random selected opponenet after you win or lose without the increasing frustration of ladder mode) would be neat.

Yeah I'm really hoping that they at least include training modes. But TBH I'll be happy with versions of the old games that don't limit you to only playing one background online unless you memorize a bunch of kombat kodes.

GrayFoxPL

infinityBCRT said:
Gamespy only hosts the ps3 servers, the netplay is peer to peer in mk9 and it's bad in mk9 because there's no rollback support. It's purely waiting on the inputs being sent back and forth between the players which is what causes the lag.

Their servers suck. Every game mode with "Powered by GameSpy" online service sucks, it's not a coincidence. I think they could even make ggpo run like shit.

Lost Fragment said:
Yeah I'm really hoping that they at least include training modes. But TBH I'll be happy with versions of the old games that don't limit you to only playing one background online unless you memorize a bunch of kombat kodes.
What game limited you to one background. UMK3 (based on your codes comment). That sucks.

fernoca

GrayFoxPL said:
Their servers suck. Every game mode with "Powered by GameSpy" online service sucks, it's not a coincidence. I think they could even make ggpo run like shit.
Though is more about actual programming than the servers. Sony could've handled the MK servers and still be the same. Heck, people report the exact same problems on Xbox Live and that one doesn't use Gamespy.

As it stands, there's no 3D fighting game that it's perfect online. Some has less problems than others and others you can notice them less; but still the same.

Heck I can actually do combos in this one, unlike in vs DCU. :p

GGPO is apparently too much of a hazzle and drains too much resources for 3D fighting games, so it seems that at least in current gen consoles, there won't be one that uses it. Not to mention that GGPO is not perfect neither. games with sucky connection tend to sometimes just freeze while you play as eveyrthing's synced back again.

I would MUCH rather have this as retail disc, than a download. :( This sucks.

What should be next on Netherrealm/WB's list of arcade classics to bring back:

THE GRID.

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
MoonsaultSlayer said:
What game limited you to one background. UMK3 (based on your codes comment). That sucks.

I only have personal experience with UMK3 on the 360, but MK2 on PS3 does this too I believe.

SolidSnakex said:
MK4 was the start of the series decline in the eyes of many. That's why it's not there.

i thought most people thought 3 was the beginning of the decline.

4 is just a swan dive off a cliff. A "so-bad-its-good" game, gameplay wise (and story wise.)

Lost Fragment

Obsessed with 4chan
Smision said:
i thought most people thought 3 was the beginning of the decline.

4 is just a swan dive off a cliff. A "so-bad-its-good" game, gameplay wise (and story wise.)

Que? UMK3 is widely considered the peak of the series.

Stitch

Gold Member
i think 4 was my favorite.

the games became way too cartoony with those dumb babalities, friendships, animalitys, brutalitys,... and most fatalitys started to look stupid. lot's of hands, legs, heads(!) and rib cages when one person exploded (+ most fatalitys were about people exploding...), hands hovering in the air after they were chopped off, they even censored sub-zeros spine removal in MK3 wtf!?

4 felt a bit more... serious. but man, the endings sucked so much :lol

This is what I kinda wish they'd do (SUPER ROUGH MOCK UP and yes I aped those life bars from someone else)

mk2hdconept.jpg

Just upscale the sprites, filter them, slightly touch them up (I barely did any of that which is why its so rough), and then have everything else in HD

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member
Cant wait for these!!!

I wonder if the MK2 is going to be a port of the already existing MK2 on PSN but with added trophies..?? Same thing with UMK3...i wonder if theyre just going to port the XBL one and add the trophies?

Kind of sad the HD part of these never panned out, but definitely day 1 for me!!!!

Slamtastic said:
3 has the beat gameplay, people have more nostalgia for 2.

Just like with Street Fighter.

The run button always prevented me from getting into MK3. I never felt comfortable using it. That's the main reason why I still prefer MK2.

ezekial45

Banned
infinityBCRT said:
This is what I kinda wish they'd do (SUPER ROUGH MOCK UP and yes I aped those life bars from someone else)

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/mk2hdconept.jpg

Just upscale the sprites, filter them, slightly touch them up (I barely did any of that which is why its so rough), and then have everything else in HD[/QUOTE]

Wow, the ninja costume they had for MK2 looks so cheap. It looks like they used skateboarding leg pads or something. Ha.

Khezu

I'm also in the camp of MK2 being my favorite, it just had better aesthetics and atmosphere.
UMK3 is clearly the better game though. I never cared much for MK1, and trilogy was just silly.

Actually an arcade perfect port of MK4 could be kinda neat, maybe make some altercations to the game, add in a MK3.5 mode, where its just MK4 but you can't pick up rocks or use weapons, and removes the ability to strafe.
The arcade version doesn't actually look that bad compared to the ps1 and N64 ports.

fernoca

infinityBCRT said:

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b362/bcrt2000/mk2hdconept.jpg

Just upscale the sprites, filter them, slightly touch them up (I barely did any of that which is why its so rough), and then have everything else in HD
Looks nice.
Though I doubt that way the 3 games together would be priced at $10; seeing how this release is because they couldn't do the HD-remakes right. Seems their intention if anything is to recoup something from what they invested in the canned (for now?) remakes.

Lost Fragment said:
Que? UMK3 is widely considered the peak of the series.

maybe among tournament MK players? for fans growing up with the series, it's definitely MK2.

i mean...look at Stryker. Just look at him.

infinityBCRT said:

are they sprites? I never understood digitized graphics.

fernoca said:
Looks nice.
Though I doubt that way the 3 games together would be priced at $10; seeing how this release is because they couldn't do the HD-remakes right. Seems their intention if anything is to recoup something from what they invested in the canned (for now?) remakes.
Yeah, well in any case I think its good they released the originals as-is (since so many times we see remakes that screw the pooch). But I wouldn't mind if they double dip a year from now by releasing a proper $40-60 collection which is more feature rich.

Also... they should have the Genesis soundtrack for MK1 (or at least a remixed version of it). Many (but not all) of the MK1 arcade music tracks are outclassed by the Genesis version IMO. I miss hearing the Genesis Pit music.

duffyside said:
"Collection?" Really? For shame...
Fix this shit Netherrealm.

I like MKII just because it has my favorite MK aesthetic. I was never too much in to the game mechanics, but it's obvious UMK3 is a better tournament game.

vg260

fernoca said:
Though the idea of unlocking the retro costumes that way would be cool.

That way they're technically charging for them, but still not having everyone around with them...and one not feeling bad for paying for on-disc stuff. :p

That's actually a pretty slick idea

Top Bottom