• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Arcade Collection coming to PSN, PC and XBLA this summer

fernoca

Smision said:
"Arcade"? Really? Fix this shit Netherrealm
:p

STOKKHOLM – May 12, 2011 – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment today announkes Mortal Kombat Arkade Kollektion for PlayStation®Network, Xbox LIVE® Arkade for the Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Mikrosoft and Windows PK. For the first time ever, the original Mortal Kombat arkade trilogy - Mortal Kombat, Mortal Kombat 2 and Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3 - have been brought together into a single kollektion which will be available for download in late summer 2011.

“We are very exkited to finally have the first 3 Mortal Kombat games available in one download pakkage for long-time and new fans to play,” said Ed Boon, Kreative Director, NetherRealm Studios. “With the release of our 2011 Mortal Kombat, and its return to 2D game play, players have been asking for these klassik titles and we are happy to deliver them.”

Developed by Other Okean in konjunktion with NetherRealm studios, the Mortal Kombat Arkade Kollektion will offer fans the khance to play through the games in their original arkade state and rediskover all their favourite kharakters, fatalities and environments as well as relive some of the frankhise’s most memorable sekrets. In addition, this new kollektion will feature online play, leaderboards, akhievements and trophies.

An arkade- perfekt port, the Mortal Kombat Arkade Kollektion brings players their favourite Mortal Kombat arkade klassiks for 800 Mikrosoft points or €7.99 on the PlayStation Network or PK.
:p

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
A very good idea to capitalize on recent MK9 hype. Alongside the PDP tournament and the Legacy series, they're knocking it out of the park with MK media recently.

enzo_gt said:
A very good idea to capitalize on recent MK9 hype. Alongside the PDP tournament and the Legacy series, they're knocking it out of the park with MK media recently.
I'm not too hot on Legacy.

I went and watched the Kitana episodes yesterday, and all I could think of during the animation bits is how I wish it were a TV animated series that took no liberties with the source.

But I suppose that's what the actual game's story mode is for.

But then again, Dante's Inferno, Dead Space, and Dragon Age got anime movies made, right?

That'd be cool.

enzo_gt said:

I'm going to be very interested in how the PDP tournament goes down. It seems like so many top level players play with a DS3 yet you're only allowed to use the official stick in that tournament.

Big One

Banned
I really wish they'd just do HD versions (as in, HD sprites) of all the arcade MK games. And then have like an unlockable version of MKTrilogy with the ability to play the MK1 characters against the MK2 characters against the MK3 characters and whatnot. Mix the three games up like that, it could be awesome.

Big One said:
I really wish they'd just do HD versions (as in, HD sprites) of all the arcade MK games. And then have like an unlockable version of MKTrilogy with the ability to play the MK1 characters against the MK2 characters against the MK3 characters and whatnot. Mix the three games up like that, it could be awesome.
That was the plan, but it fell through.

Either it was too expensive/time consuming, or the publisher didn't want a product of that quality out to "compete" with MK9.

Those are the main rumors going around right now.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolidSnakex said:
I'm going to be very interested in how the PDP tournament goes down. It seems like so many top level players play with a DS3 yet you're only allowed to use the official stick in that tournament.
Yeah plenty of pros of other fighting games are trying to pick up MK9 to try and get in on that pot, and the required adjustment to sticks seems like it'll also drive sales for those sticks too.

I haven't watched Legacy yet, but the teaser/trailer or what have you from way back made it look pretty awesome. From what I hear though, it's not as good as the original teaser/trailer. Perhaps another full feature film is in order, though really I think I'm the only person in the world who enjoyed Mortal Kombat: Annihilation.

enzo_gt said:
Yeah plenty of pros of other fighting games are trying to pick up MK9 to try and get in on that pot, and the required adjustment to sticks seems like it'll also drive sales for those sticks too.

What's strange is that they only made the extra sticks available for the 360 version. Their reasoning? Because the tournament will be played on the 360.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
SolidSnakex said:
What's strange is that they only made the extra sticks available for the 360 version. Their reasoning? Because the tournament will be played on the 360.
Wait, the MK stick isn't available at ALL for PS3?!

Well shit, that's weird. Especially considering EVO is all PS3 this year. Or do you just mean extra sticks at the tourney for use?

enzo_gt said:

Well shit, that's weird. Especially considering EVO is all PS3 this year. Or do you just mean extra sticks at the tourney for use?

The only way to get the PS3 stick is if you pre-ordered to TE. They're selling additional sticks for the 360 on the PDP website while they aren't doing that for the PS3.

fernoca

Yeah, PDP only sells Xbox 360 sticks through their site.

Though the upcoming "classic design" with the codes to download the Arcade Kollection are for both consoles; and all cost $129.99.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Khezu said:
Wait? for PC to? Fantastic.

Now maybe, work on a MK9 pc port, that would be awesome.

This. Best news of the day.

Slamtastic said:
1728795-stryker__2011__super.png

Say that to his face?

wUMnd.png

I think the old one looks more intimidating! looks like a good ol' 90s fat alcoholic cop

new stryker didn't eat enough donuts

fernoca said:

nice

Smision said:
wUMnd.png

I think the old one looks more intimidating! looks like a good ol' 90s fat alcoholic cop

new stryker didn't eat enough donuts
I really wish Stryker had an alt with his hat backwards in the new game

Mercutio

SolidSnakex said:
The only way to get the PS3 stick is if you pre-ordered to TE. They're selling additional sticks for the 360 on the PDP website while they aren't doing that for the PS3.

It's a very odd stick, and really not so hot for other stuff. They're not selling for too much on eBay if you want one.

Just be prepared to swap out the buttons and joystick... the stock Happ is a very poor copy of the original stick and a lot of people (myself included) couldn't perform diagonal jumps with it.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
ThingontheFloor said:
Not SUPER excited as I already own Ultimate MK3 on XBLA, and MKII on PSN, but to have them all on one system, along with MK is worth the low price anyway. Looking forward to getting my ass handed to me online.

I agree with you. I too, own both Ultimate MK3 on XBLA, and MKII on PSN. But here's the B_A_Z_I_L_L_I_O_N dollar question:

Will....now, pay close attention to this....WILL this new collection have a spectator mode? That is THE question that needs to be answered ASAP!!!! I will do backflips NAKED if we can jump into a game and watch other fellow Kombatants go at it in all three games!!!!!!!

So, not sure how excited I am just yet, due to the trillion dollar question above. So we'll see.

ezekial45 said:
Wow, the ninja costume they had for MK2 looks so cheap. It looks like they used skateboarding leg pads or something. Ha.

I loved the MK2 ninja costume! Thought the original one looked boring in comparison. Was actually kinda sad that the retro costumes in MK9 were based on the first game.

isamu said:
I agree with you. I too, own both Ultimate MK3 on XBLA, and MKII on PSN. But here's the B_A_Z_I_L_L_I_O_N dollar question:

Will....now, pay close attention to this....WILL this new collection have a spectator mode? That is THE question that needs to be answered ASAP!!!! I will do backflips NAKED if we can jump into a game and watch other fellow Kombatants go at it in all three games!!!!!!!

So, not sure how excited I am just yet, due to the trillion dollar question above. So we'll see.

yeah, a spectator mode will make this a day one purchase for me. if it's not included, then then I'll just wait for it to go on sale.

isamu

Hopefully we get some details soon

Agent X

isamu said:

That's a good suggestion. Hopefully the developers will think of including such a feature into this collection.

Agent X said:
That's a good suggestion. Hopefully the developers will think of including such a feature into this collection.
Its not gonna happen. These are straight arcade perfect ports + online play. They aren't going to add a single thing to gameplay other than unlocking the UMK3 secret characters from the start.

I'm still hoping they'll go back to these at some point and remaster them properly for HD but it won't be with this release at only $10.

enzo_gt said:

EVO is not their concern. The PDP tournament is being run on 360 and the sticks are required for everyone's participation. That's why you can purchase them separately.

_dementia said:
I really wish Stryker had an alt with his hat backwards in the new game

I rather Stryker have a mustache, like an edited pic posted here.

DryEyeRelief said:
EVO is not their concern. The PDP tournament is being run on 360 and the sticks are required for everyone's participation. That's why you can purchase them separately.

The reason why that doesn't make sense is due to the fact that a PS3 player could also train using that stick. But they don't give the option to buy them separately. I could understand on some level if you had to bring your own fight stick, but that's not the case either. PDP will have sticks setup at each station.

blurrygil

SolidSnakex said:
The reason why that doesn't make sense is due to the fact that a PS3 player could also train using that stick. But they don't give the option to buy them separately. I could understand on some level if you had to bring your own fight stick, but that's not the case either. PDP will have sticks setup at each station.

I concur. They're missing out on plenty of sales (post-launch) by not making them available. You'd think they'd cover their bases by now...

I feel really bad for that Actor who played Stryker in MK3 now.

We're all ragging on him, just cuz he's a few pounds heavier than most MK3 characters.

Struct09

Criminal Upper said:
I feel really bad for that Actor who played Stryker in MK3 now.

We're all ragging on him, just cuz he's a few pounds heavier than most MK3 characters.

I'm sure he's devastated that some video game forum posters are making fun of him

drizzle

Axel Hertz
infinityBCRT said:
I hope they have a default stretch to full screen mode in the game, in my experience MK holds up on an HDTV because the resolution was 16:10 I think and higher than most games back in those days.
Wat?
[url]http://www.mksecrets.net/mk1/eng/mk-arcade.php[/url] said:
Mortal Kombat - The Arcade Version

Screen Information

screen type: raster
screen orientation: horizontal
screen aspect: 4 x 3
resolution x: 400 pixels
resolution y: 254 pixels
colors used: 32768
video frequency: 53.20 Hz
Sure, the resolution was skewed a little bit (1.574:1, in reality, as opposed to 4:3 1.333 ratio), but it's like CPS1 and CPS2 games: The resolution is not 4:3, but the game was made with 4:3 in mind, so if you play at the native resolution, the game will be distorted.

Not only that, Stretch to Fill is HORRIBLE! It should be banned from all forms of media everywhere.

isamu

The *MOMENT* you guys hear anything on whether we can spectate fights or not, PLEASE let me know.

Kydd BlaZe

SolidSnakex said:
That was the version that had actual HD remakes of the 3 games. This is just the arcade versions of those games.
Ah, ok. Thanks bro. Definitely scooping this up Day 1 then.

So is the general consensus that this game will be coming out on the 30th on XBLA and PSN? The classic fight stick thats supposed to come with a download code is dated for the 31st right now.

drizzle said:
Wat?

Sure, the resolution was skewed a little bit (1.574:1, in reality, as opposed to 4:3 1.333 ratio), but it's like CPS1 and CPS2 games: The resolution is not 4:3, but the game was made with 4:3 in mind, so if you play at the native resolution, the game will be distorted.

Not only that, Stretch to Fill is HORRIBLE! It should be banned from all forms of media everywhere.

Enh. I'm not a fan of Stretch to Fill in general. Especially stretching 4:3 content to 16:9. But in MK it looks like the digital actors themselves were distorted by putting them into 4:3. I may be wrong, but that is how it seems at a glance.

Top Bottom