• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita screens

V_Ben

Banned
I'm not going to cry and whine about the visuals if I can play the game at a steady 60 frames and have essentially the exact same gameplay experience I could with the console versions. I love my quality visuals and I know the Vita can do better, but I'm getting the entire Mortal Kombat game on the Vita at an uncompromising frame-rate.

I simply think that this all the hoopla over the visuals is because Netherrealm probably didn't have much in terms of time to make the game and basically ported over the PS3 version and then scaled everything down from that. I think if more time was spent on it, they could make it look much, much better.

I'm still buying it day one and I will enjoy it when I'm laying in my bed not giving a fuck about the outside world on a random Saturday morning.

Can't wait.

The visuals are about the only thing that is different, and there's even more content in this version of the game than in any other. New modes, costumes and everything from the home console release. Basically, it looks a bit shoddy, but if you can look past the initial graphics, then you are going to have a god damn blast with it. Or at least that's what people have been telling me when I've asked them.

Basically, the visuals are the only part of this game that are lacklustre if you're a fan of MK. And even then they run at a solid 60fps.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
fixd pennywise 4 u

i can't believe how horrible this looks, vita just can't catch a break it seems.

All LOLZ aside, this game does not look like a PS1 game and it looks better than PSP games. It's easily one of the worst-looking Vita games -if you just focus on the character models- however.

The visuals are about the only thing that is different, and there's even more content in this version of the game than in any other. New modes, costumes and everything from the home console release. Basically, it looks a bit shoddy, but if you can look past the initial graphics, then you are going to have a god damn blast with it. Or at least that's what people have been telling me when I've asked them.

Basically, the visuals are the only part of this game that are lacklustre if you're a fan of MK. And even then they run at a solid 60fps.

I actually feel kind of bad for the developers. They ported the game to the Vita with everything intact -there's way more content offered here than BB and UMvC3- kept it running at 60FPS and ensured that it plays exactly the same as its console counterparts, then added more content (with no silly DLC fees) but all people are doing is looking at screenshots at writing the game off. Oh well...as long as the online is good and there's enough people playing, it makes no difference to me.

Santar

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd gladly take a hit on stuff in the backgrounds to have the actual fighters look at good as possible.
When I'm playing I'm not sitting around just glaring at the backgrounds, I'm focused on the fighting.
Don't get me wrong I like beautiful fighting backgrounds, but if I had to choose I know what I'd pick.

Lyte Edge

I don't know about the rest of you but I'd gladly take a hit on stuff in the backgrounds to have the actual fighters look at good as possible.
When I'm playing I'm not sitting around just glaring at the backgrounds, I'm focused on the fighting.
Don't get me wrong I like beautiful fighting backgrounds, but if I had to choose I know what I'd pick.

This goes along with the point I've been making throughout the thread, though- when you're playing the game, you're going to be focusing on the fighting...paying attention to the animation and not stopping to look at what's missing on the character models.

BlazBlue, UMvC3, and yes, MK are all fantastic games on the Vita. I love having fighting games that really can match up to the console versions on the go.

demigod

It really looks terrible but I remember those uncharted screenshots and the game didn't looked like them. I understand why Capcom don't let you to take screenshots from Ultimate Marvel Vs. Capcom 3. I think my game will arrive this thursday :S.

I wish people would stop posting these blown up images. Yeah it's the same resolution but the Vita's screen is much smaller and it actually looks better.

LyteEdge's screenshots seems like the game isn't crisp or really missing a lot of textures. The videos make it look better than all these images floating around.

All LOLZ aside, this game does not look like a PS1 game and it looks better than PSP games. It's easily one of the worst-looking Vita games -if you just focus on the character models- however.

I actually feel kind of bad for the developers. They ported the game to the Vita with everything intact -there's way more content offered here than BB and UMvC3- kept it running at 60FPS and ensured that it plays exactly the same as its console counterparts, then added more content (with no silly DLC fees) but all people are doing is looking at screenshots at writing the game off. Oh well...as long as the online is good and there's enough people playing, it makes no difference to me.

They really should have released a 'fullscreen' gameplay trailer instead of all the offscreen BS (they should have dev units right?). Game looks great in motion (if 60fps isn't a lie).

They probably should have disabled the screenshot capability too lol.

snap0212

I wish people would stop posting these blown up images. Yeah it's the same resolution but the Vita's screen is much smaller and it actually looks better.
That's why I always download them to my Vita. The backgrounds look okay but the characters don't look good at all.

Oni Jazar

I am guessing early on games are gonna suffer from Card size. It cost alot to jump to the larger cards when buying them from Sony or Nintendo. Tekken suffered with overall stages etc due to the small card and the fact half the card is probably taken up by the packed in movie.

Developers may feel pressured to stick with a smaller card size if costs are too out of line with projected sales and I am guessing publishers are gonna be extra cautious with Vita til proven otherwise

That's a good theory.

Lyte Edge

They really should have released a 'fullscreen' gameplay trailer instead of all the offscreen BS (they should have dev units right?). Game looks great in motion (if 60fps isn't a lie).

I LOL'd.

They probably should have disabled the screenshot capability too lol.

I like that they kept it. And yes, if people posted screenshots of UMvC3 the same type of responses might have popped up.

No other way for me to get screens though. If I take a pic with my phone it looks like this:

SAY7bl.jpg

I agree that the game doesn't look great so I've cancelled my *********** pre-order. Yes, it is running at 60 fps but the compromises to the polygon count, textures, sub-HD rendering and absense of anti-aliasing really hurt the look of the game compared with UMvC3 and BlazBlue. Mortal Kombat PSV actually looks great everywhere EXCEPT in the game itself! Such a shame. :(

I have the PS3 version anyway so it's no great loss. Hopefully there will be a demo we can try though.

Lyte Edge

I agree that the game doesn't look great so I've cancelled my *********** pre-order. Yes, it is running at 60 fps but the compromises to the polygon count, textures, sub-HD rendering and absense of anti-aliasing really hurt the look of the game compared with UMvC3 and BlazBlue. Mortal Kombat PSV actually looks great everywhere EXCEPT in the game itself! Such a shame. :(

I have the PS3 version anyway so it's no great loss. Hopefully there will be a demo we can try though.

Why does no one want to answer my "so all you care about is the graphics" question?

LOL. It's not like MK consoles is the best looking fighter out there, either.

MoGamesXNA

Unconfirmed Member
Such a shame, this was one of the Vita titles that I really wanted to pick up. I like the fact that the devs decided to focus on frame rate. But perhaps they should have gone with 2D backgrounds and ran the game at native-res with all the texture detail and shaders of the console counterparts for the 3D character models instead.

SteeloDMZ

Banned
Why does no one want to answer my "so all you care about is the graphics" question?

LOL. It's not like MK consoles is the best looking fighter out there, either.

It is. Fantastic looking environments with tons of shit going on, very detailed characters and flawless (360 version) 60fps framerate.

raven777

The screenshot look horrible. Hopefully its better in motion.

I dont know whats with these screenshots. SFxT vita screenshots looked horrible as well, but this looks worse

Lyte Edge

There have been trailers posted, guys...check them out for footage of what the game looks like in motion.

gogogow

The screenshot look horrible. Hopefully its better in motion.

I dont know whats with these screenshots. SFxT vita screenshots looked horrible as well, but this looks worse

Erm....no? As well? SFxT Vita version looks a million times better than MK. SFxT is a great looking game. One character in SFxT probably has more polygons than the entire screen in MK Vita. Capcom has never dissapointed (graphically) with their handheld games, whether it's on PSP, 3DS or Vita.

10_vitasfxt05.jpg

10_vitasfxt09.jpg

10_vitasfxt06.jpg

compared to

cDsnO.jpg

highrider

Banned
bummer. i was hoping this was going to be on the same quality of graphics as umvc, and it looks pretty awful. it's also a bummer that a bad looking vita port seems to be the only thing that generates any interest in it.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'm guessing Mk is one of those games that you just have to see in motion to appreciate. That Youtube clip of the story mode in French looked great. Screenshots look horrible,as if someone washed out the textures.

Lyte Edge

I'm guessing Mk is one of those games that you just have to see in motion to appreciate. That Youtube clip of the story mode in French looked great. Screenshots look horrible,as if someone washed out the textures.

Yup. Doesn't matter though. This thread is just people looking at a few screen captures and deciding it's crap, ignoring everything else that the game got right. Oh well...people whined about UMvC3 too and they'll whine about SFxTK's visuals when it's released.

Djin1979

SF X Tekken looks much much better, there is no comparison, and those screens must be old, no shadows, i m pretty sure the final version will destroy those shots.

Sylver

Banned
Wow at SFxT if Screenshots look like this I cannot imagine how it will look in motion. :O

I hope Capcom ports Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.

vg260

MK has never really been known for it's fluid animation. It's always had kind of a janky quality to it.

SF X Tekken looks much much better, there is no comparison, and those screens must be old, no shadows, i m pretty sure the final version will destroy those shots.

Lyte Edge captured some of those directly from the Vita

Lyte Edge

For comparison, here are screen captures of UMvC3 Vita:

keymP.jpg
NDvPF.jpg

ZyZBu.jpg
580EC.jpg

It also looks much better on the Vita.

\
I hope Capcom ports Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition.

It could definitely work if they used the touch panel for PPP and KKK. Might be kind of awkward though.

Lyte Edge

MK has never really been known for it's fluid animation. It's always had kind of a janky quality to it.

Absolutely, but the animation looks great on the small screen.

All of the screens I posted are captures, although I cut the size of the first batch in half.

Bottom line- the game looks better in motion and while the visuals took a hit, everything else did not. Nothing more to say about this.

RoylAsult

for the people who have the game, is there a stat menu somewhere that shows you how much time you have logged into the game?

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony

Ironically, MK9's 'janky' animations are on purpose to match the digitized actors from the old games. During animations where they can get away with it, it has some really nice bits, like the way characters spin around and stumble from roundhouse kicks. Or some attacks during target combo strings where they could create entirely new classes of moves.

I got the joke and kind of appreciate it, though I realize a lot of folks thought it looked strange because it moved like the old digitized games 'for no reason'.

beril

LyteEdge's screenshots seems like the game isn't crisp or really missing a lot of textures. The videos make it look better than all these images floating around.

Sure, let's not judge the games graphics from actual direct feed native res screenshots, but pretend it will look awesome from the magic of the Vita screen. I checked the screenshots on a galaxy nexus; which has an oled screen with much higher pixel density than Vita; still looks awful.

And when people have paid money for a device with a qHD screen, it's only fair to expect games to actually run in that resolution instead of just being a blurry mess, not to mention the generally awful textures, character models and complete lack of shading

gogogow

They are the latest screens, from April. The release date is fall, so plenty of time for Capcom to add them in. Models are already looking great.

sfxtvita-41012-10z4c6v.jpg

Lyte Edge

My friend came by and picked up the copy I got for him. He read this thread earlier tonight before he came over. Dude is a big graphics whore and he was still impressed with the port overall after actually playing it.

Djin1979

Wow, I just saved those screentshots to my VITA and... It changes everything, SF x Tekken looks amazing on the VITA screen! Very impressive.
On the other hand, MK still looks like ass, not PSP awful but not far.

I suggest the Vita owners to do the test.

Lyte Edge

Wow, I just saved those screentshots to my VITA and... It changes everything, SF x Tekken looks amazing on the VITA screen! Very impressive.
On the other hand, MK still looks like ass, not PSP awful but not far.

I suggest the Vita owners to do the test.

I suggest you watch a video of it in motion.

Khezu

Mk4.jpg

Pretty similar

The arcade version of MK4 actually looks pretty good and holds up really well to this day, aged way better then the ps2 games.

I got the joke and kind of appreciate it, though I realize a lot of folks thought it looked strange because it moved like the old digitized games 'for no reason'.

The biggest offenders to me are the jumping animation for all characters, and the "statue" fall when you die. I really do hope they ditch it for the next game, even things like uppercuts, it was cool for mk1-3 nostalgia, but going forward they really don't need it.

OmegaZero

Hey, Lyte Edge, I was wondering a few things.

Do the characters still get damaged like the console versions?
Does the blood still splatter onto the character models?

It would be cool if they kept those in (though it wouldn't affect my pre-order in any way).

I love mk9 on consoles, and playing this game on the go was one of the main reasons I got the vita so early. I dont care if the characters are lower poly - i'm no graphics snob. All i care about is if the gameplay is smooth 60 fps (it is) and intact (it is). The crazy amount of extra content makes this a must buy for me. This definitely isnt a lazy port.

Mk is one of the best fighting games this generation. It is also one of the most character balanced. I play it at local tourneys.

Lyte Edge

The new challenge tower is pretty fun. There's mini games akin to Fruit Ninja and Missile Command (use the missiles to juggle a falling character), using the touch screen to stop your character's head from blowing up like a balloon and exploding during combat, and more.

Tried online with my friend. Ran pretty well, and interestingly enough, we were able to talk to each other during the match through the Vita mic. Everything came through pretty clearly. We had some lag here and there. Instead of things getting choppy, the game appears to handle lag by dropping the framerate down to 30fps. Turning the mic off (hold down the PS button for the option) didn't seem to affect lag.

Hey, Lyte Edge, I was wondering a few things.

Do the characters still get damaged like the console versions?
Does the blood still splatter onto the character models?

It would be cool if they kept those in (though it wouldn't affect my pre-order in any way).

Both are in.

Stuggernaut

Grandma's Chippy
I know it is apparently supposed to be like the PS3 version somehow, and not to interrupt all the graphics bashing, but is it fun?

Top Bottom