• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mortal Kombat Vita screens

barely looks better than a DS game.. Vita obviously isn't as powerful as we thought.... it's already limping sales wise, it doesn't need more bad press.. poor vita.. hopefully it will hit it's stride after one year and some really great software.

It looks nothing like that on the screen though. I'm not sure if that's a viable statement or not, but games like uncharted on the vita look breathtaking but terrible when blown up to huge sizes like that. "barely" better than the DS is a joke.

impact

Banned
barely looks better than a DS game.. Vita obviously isn't as powerful as we thought.... it's already limping sales wise, it doesn't need more bad press.. poor vita.. hopefully it will hit it's stride after one year and some really great software.

1/10

kerrak

As a Vita owner, there is one thing i'm sure: the screenshots never make justice of the games. Maybe it's the compression, the pixel density or the quality of the oled. Probably the sum of all of these, but it is not an accurate reference.
As for MK i'll reserve my judgement until i see it with my eyes.
Right now those are sure:
-60 fps
-massive amount of content even by console standards
-fantastic d-pad
-portable mk

fernoca

You missed the point. Comparison aside, there really is no reason (hardware wise) the vita CAN'T outdo the ipad visuals in regards to UE3.

If I misunderstood Dark, my apologies then.
Well, for that we might need to wait for a developer to at least make a similar game on Vita with UE3; or at least one from the ground up.
Then there's also the difference in genres and even developers. It would like comparing Mortal Kombat to Gears of War 3 and both were released on the same year.

Infinity Blade 2 is a sequel to a "hack and slash" made by Epic, the second game in the series, I think 3rd game from Epic... with their own engine on iPad...
Mortal Kombat is a fighting game, their first game on Vita and made on a version of said engine that even by Epic's own admission they seemed to just shoe-in for the sake of "having it there"...and used by an outside developer.

NetherRealm is quite talented, but compare vs. DC Universe to MK-2011 and both look completely different even when both were made on UE3. If anything, maybe the next game should look better or something...if there's a second MK game on Vita at least.
Plus IB2 is 30fps as far as I remember; most UE3 games are...while MK is 60fps across all platforms.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Got to play someone else online. Beat him once and then he destroyed several more times...turns out he's the top-ranked player on the leaderboards at the moment.

These were ranked matches and there was no mic support.

Regarding Unreal Engine 3.0- From what I understand, the version used on iOS for games like IB2 is different than the version used for MK. The apparently ported the engine right from consoles and it appears that they had to reduce the amount polygons and remove normal mapping to get the game to run at 60fps. It was worth it.

Agent X

These were ranked matches and there was no mic support.

I suppose you could use Party if you wanted to have voice chat.

I'm beginning to wonder if Vita game developers are deliberately eschewing implementing in-game voice chat, and allowing (read: forcing) players to resort to using Party instead.

Are there any online-enabled games on the Vita that actually have true in-game voice chat, without requiring the use of Party? I'm asking because I honestly don't know of any so far. Party has been a dubious blessing. It's like we gained cross-game voice chat (which isn't all that appealing--I don't get the urge to chat with someone who's already preoccupied playing a different game), but we lost traditional voice chat in the process.

anddo0

8.5 from IGN. Sounds like a good game.

A- from 1up

The overall product was never in question.

IGN:
Graphically, Mortal Kombat on Vita runs at an impressively smooth 60 frames per second with very few bouts of slowdown. The original console experience ran at a similar clip, so being able to bring that and the smooth animations to a handheld format is a notable feat by the developers. However, there were a few consolations that happened in order to ensure the fast framerate, namely in the image quality of the character models. While the game looks great in motion, a closer look reveals that the characters look jagged, blocky, and not as detailed as their console counterparts. However, the grievance is a small one, and watching the game in motion is fantastic, as it successfully captures the fast pace and action of the original game.

Pretty much confirms what everyone has been nitpicking.

Though I canceled my pre-order. I'm still getting the game. It's a fighting game, 60fps vs lower character detail.. 60fps wins every time. I would've liked the best of both worlds.. But it is, what it is...

Oni Jazar

The overall product was never in question.
Pretty much confirms what everyone has been nitpicking.

And the second part:

"However, the grievance is a small one, and watching the game in motion is fantastic, as it successfully captures the fast pace and action of the original game."

is what everyone else has been saying.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
NetherRealm is quite talented, but compare vs. DC Universe to MK-2011 and both look completely different even when both were made on UE3. If anything, maybe the next game should look better or something...if there's a second MK game on Vita at least.
Plus IB2 is 30fps as far as I remember; most UE3 games are...while MK is 60fps across all platforms.
Oh god, MKvsDC was absolutely hideous. Just terrible visuals all around.

Awesome news, can't wait to play. Missed out on the console version at the time but am definitely looking forward to having MK on the go.

Doing the trade 1 deal at Future Shop for this. Really excited. Missed the console version as well. Pleased to be getting a version with everything included.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Its not fair on other developers who produce a much better finished product that a game that obviously is no where near on par with them is getting an 8.5 for its efforts.

This game is a good finished product. The reduced amount of detail was clearly done to ensure that the game runs at the proper framerate. It's not a shitty port. They did a great job overall and the game does look good in motion, which has been constantly overlooked in this thread.

Glad that there's an official thread now...this thread can be left behind.

raven777

yea IGN giving this game's graphics 8.5 and Virtua Tennis, which is probably the best looking game on the system, a 8.0 on graphics.

Aren't they both 60fps?

dark10x

yea IGN giving this game's graphics 8.5 and Virtua Tennis, which is probably the best looking game on the system, a 8.0 on graphics.

Aren't they both 60fps?
Yes. They're both 60.

That is an odd thing, but not worth getting upset over. Who knows what or why that score was as it was.

Virtua Tennis 4 was not only 60 fps but it ran at native resolution and sacrificed little to no detail from the console games. It was an incredibly impressive effort.

I think some perspective is in order here. As powerful as the Vita is, it's STILL a handheld that can be toted anywhere. To compare visual fidelity to consoles and pc's just seems silly.

For a first-gen game on a portable console I think it looks fantastic.

kinggroin

Banned
I think some perspective is in order here. As powerful as the Vita is, it's STILL a handheld that can be toted anywhere. To compare visual fidelity to consoles and pc's just seems silly.

Not silly considering the specs.

A little silly considering how early in its life this game was released in.

dark10x

Not when we had stuff like this also at 60 fps.

Vita vs 360

ibuVo2a4lRRahP.jpg

VT4 runs at native resolution without sacrificing detail while still holding 60 fps just like the console versions.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 is also remarkably close to the console originals and offers native resolution at 60 fps.

MK doesn't come even remotely that close to matching the console versions.

Vita vs 360

VT4 runs at native resolution without sacrificing detail while still holding 60 fps just like the console versions.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 is also remarkably close to the console originals and offers native resolution at 60 fps.

That's great, but once again...perspective. This console has been out 8-9 weeks. It's silly to expect each and every game to have such high quality visuals when various studios have various time/budget to work with getting their games out.

The way some are making it seem it's like MK looks like absolute garbage and runs at 3fps. While not mind blowing the visuals are adequate. To say otherwise is an embellishment. And my main point is that to expect each and every vita game to always match it's console counterpart is unrealistic. It's nice to see when it happens but it'll take some studios more time than others. That's really all I'm trying to say =)

Vita vs 360

Maybe MK was a PSP game originally and it got up-ported to Vita during development?

Spiegel

That's great, but once again...perspective. This console has been out 8-9 weeks. It's silly to expect each and every game to have such high quality visuals when various studios have various time/budget to work with getting their games out.

The way some are making it seem it's like MK looks like absolute garbage and runs at 3fps. While not mind blowing the visuals are adequate. To say otherwise is an embellishment. And my main point is that to expect each and every vita game to always match it's console counterpart is unrealistic. It's nice to see when it happens but it'll take some studios more time than others. That's really all I'm trying to say =)

I'm disappointed with the graphics because Netherrealm was the first developer to properly acknowledge that Vita devkits existed and they had them back in September 2010. And seeing the final result it doesn't seem like NR put much effort with the graphics. It looks like they dropped resolution, polycounts, lighting and shaders to get it running at 60fps and called it a day without trying to optimize things to get it closer to the console versions.

But we can't know if this is because the UE3 engine Vita port is not good, or something, and no one can deny that the game is packed with content and features.

I'm disappointed with the graphics because Netherrealm was the first developer to properly acknowledge that Vita devkits existed and they had them back in September 2010. And seeing the final result it doesn't seem like NR put much effort with the graphics. It looks like they dropped resolution, polycounts, lighting and shaders to get it running at 60fps and called it a day without trying to optimize things to get it closer to the console versions.

But we can't know if this is because the UE3 engine Vita port is not good, or something, and no one can deny that the game is packed with content and features.

Yes, it's still in the early stages on Vita. It took a long time for non-Epic devs to master UE3 on the consoles. I would hardly consider this a lazy port, as there are plenty of real, valid reasons for the visual disparity. The cart size limit may have led to lower res textures being used, for example.

Bought it off PSN today, obviously isnt running native res, but it plays beautifully at 60 FPS.

You'll last long here.

Not sure why people are saying they're looking forward to SFxT Vita more than MK Vita. SFxT is a garbage fighting game.

And it's a garbage fighting game thats only live footage for the Vita showcases massive slowdown (E3 Sony presentation 2011).

Top Bottom