• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most underwhelming final bosses (Spoilers)

ItIsOkBro

I love Resident Evil 7, but the "final boss" was crap. It was more or less a QTE. I spent the whole game same my Magnum ammo for... absolutely nothing. Damn, I was salty when those credits started rolling, lol. The real final boss of the game, sadly, is the
encounter with the two Molded fatties in the Mines.
. So disappointing, and a lackluster ending to an otherwise excellent game.

yes my answer is resident evil 7, if you can even call that a boss.

Not Knight tho, it had an astounding total of zero boss fights.

Final "encounter" in Knight is the nightmare sequence. The final "boss" is the Arkham Knight, and while that's not that great as a boss battle, it is based on the series' best gameplay (predator/stealth) and it is better than Asylum's in every way.

The series overall doesn't lend itself well to traditional boss battles, and I'd prefer an atypical, thematically appropriate boss encounter (e.g. Joker in Origins) than the absolute, yet traditional garbage in Asylum. Trash.

Dark Souls 2. Very boring, easy and underwhelming compared to other bosses in the franchise. Even just compared to the other final bosses of ds1, 3, and BB. Beat it on the first try and was just like, "oh....."

PSqueak

Banned
Final Fantasy Tactics.

I was shocked at what a joke that was.

Would not say it's the final boss' fault, but rather Wiegraf's fault, putting the hardest fight in the entire game before the 3rd act guarantees you'll be overleveled by the time you reach the end.

Not too mention opting to use units like TG Cid reduce the game's difficulty enormously.

Sophia

MMO Example: Fighting Deathwing at the end of World of Warcraft's Cataclysm expansion. The entire raid itself is a disappointment, but the second half of the fight with Deathwing (Madness of Deathwing) is basically poking at his toes for the vast majority of the fight while the NPCs end up doing the "real" work after you've "won" the fight.

It was especially disappointing because Blizzard did such a fantastic job in the previous expansion. The fight against the Lich King is fondly remembered, and an overall excellent designed final boss.

petran79

Banned
This thread again, eh.

Just like last time, I'd have to say this guy here,
hqdefault.jpg

Shmups are full with such bosses

Eg Gunbird

gunbirdt6j1o.jpg

rudger

Splatoon 2. Same last boss as the first game except instead of having a dynamic fight that is constantly moving and changing, you face off in a big circle...the campaign was already a let down, this just solidified my view

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Persona 5's final Boss was stupidly easy.

I absolutely LOVED Persona 5 but I have agree with you on that. Especially compare to SMTIV:A final boss. I beat Persona 5 final boss on my first try on hard difficulty.

the secret boss against
Caroline and Justine
was much more epic and interesting.

Twookie

Shadow of Mordor the thread

Whole game building up your fight with Sauron.....it's a QTE

my friends told me to not fight the last boss because it would sour my opinion on the game

I should've listened, that last boss was so fucking horrible

Roussow

All Uncharted games.

Man, I know I'm in the minority but I enjoy the hell out of Uncharted 4's final boss. To be fair the setting is great and the dialogue is really fun there, but I really like how the swordplay feels, it actually feels like blades are connecting and grinding against one another, it's quite kinetic.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
any western game where the final boss is a QTE
I wonder what's up with western devs being seeming incapable of creating good boss fights. I know it might be an unfair generalization, but, damn if it's not an unfounded one.

Except indies who actually ape classic Japanese game design (e.g. indie Metroidvanias like Salt & Sanctuary or indie JRPGs like Cosmic Star Heroine), I can barely think of western games with truly good boss fights. Maybe Soul Reaver. The Surge and Lords of the Fallen, which are western Souls-like, try their best, and by western standards they've got decent bosses, but even those still pale compared to actual Souls bosses.

Go figure.

Toxi

Banned
Pretty much is. Freezing MB is basically just an interactive ending.
You don't freeze her. You just point at her, press the shoot button... And Samus doesn't shoot. Because Other M spits on any player input.
I wonder what's up with western devs being seeming incapable of creating good boss fights. I know it might be an unfair generalization, but, damn if it's not an unfounded one.

Except indies who actually ape classic Japanese game design (e.g. indie Metroidvanias like Salt & Sanctuary or indie JRPGs like Cosmic Star Heroine), I can barely think of western games with truly good boss fights. Maybe Soul Reaver. The Surge and Lords of the Fallen, which are western Souls-like, try their best, and by western standards they've got decent bosses, but even those still pale compared to actual Souls bosses.

Go figure.
Metroid Prime trilogy.

Also, Spider Mastermind in Doom 2016 was pretty great.

Mark1

Time_Eater_after_losing_two_arms.png

This boss in Sonic Generations did not feel finished. At all.

Also for those who’ve played this far in the game:

“That looks like a homing shot”

Syder

Gwyn
and
Nashandra
from Dark Souls 1 and 2 were fairly disappointing

Although
Gwyn
's theme is one of the best boss themes of all time

Also, Spider Mastermind in Doom 2016 was pretty great.

Spider Mastermind's sweeping laser attack where you have to jump the first and crouch the second blew my goddamn mind. Never expected something like that from a western game, much less an FPS in 2016. Who knew interacting with bosses through skill-based evasion could be more fun than hiding behind cover? I was really into DOOM's bosses overall. Way beyond any FPS bosses I've seen since Metroid Prime 3.

I'll be disappointed if DOOM 2's final boss isn't just a DMC Vergil fight against a Crucible sword-wielding Samuel Hayden.

kubev

Rise of the Tomb Raider

The boss just yanks your bow out of your hands (which confused me, because he said that he'd take my "weapons" away and actually left my other weapons on Lara's character model) and forces you to fight him by making explosives with cans that're so conveniently littering the area.

Zubz

Banned
That's because they were on a tight schedule towards the end. Originally, the final boss was probably going to be
that huge robot in the background of Titanic Monarch, as people have found a 3D model in the game's files, and there was an interview with the composer that said that was the case.

https://youtu.be/yeRJj2DcXXY?t=6m57s

I actually rather loved most of Mania's bosses (Only less-than-fun one was
Oil Ocean Act 2's being a repeat of the original boss with, like, 2 more moves), but the Egg Reverie was underwhelming, & the bouncy suit was too easy. I would've loved a fight with the Titanic Monarch itself,
& hope they can revisit that idea in the sequel I desperately hope is already underway.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Although
Gwyn
's theme is one of the best boss themes of all time
Always found it to be overrated. BUT I admit,
I smiled when I heard it during phase 2 of Dark Souls 3's final boss.

Sif's theme is the best boss theme in Dark Souls 1. It is known.

I would say, if we're being honest, the vast majority of final bosses are underwhelming. There's usually a good boss, but it's rarely the final one.

Ahasverus

Final "encounter" in Knight is the nightmare sequence. The final "boss" is the Arkham Knight, and while that's not that great as a boss battle, it is based on the series' best gameplay (predator/stealth) and it is better than Asylum's in every way.
So a common predator room, with a stupid setup ("I know ALL your moves Bruce!.. gets knocked off a gargoyle).
The series overall doesn't lend itself well to traditional boss battles, and I'd prefer an atypical, thematically appropriate boss encounter (e.g. Joker in Origins) than the absolute, yet traditional garbage in Asylum. Trash.
... Arkham origins though?

It's time to accept Knight is unisnpired trash. It's better for our future.

Sygma

Prince of Persia two thrones

And you'd think Shadow of Mordor was bad.

Ganon in twilight princess also mvp

Manu

Go figure.

Doom 2016 had some pretty good and even Souls-esque bosses. But other than that? Yeah.

RE7 was a great example of a terrible final boss.

Dying Light (or is it daylight? Anyway that zombie parkour game from the guys that made Dead Island).

Not only you beat the boss consistently through the game, to the point he no longer feels threatening, the whole fight comes down to a QTE. At least there's an amazing run sequence leading up to him.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
So many games fall into this category. I will just post the most recent one I've finished. Dying Light. The final boss, like so many other, is a QTE.

Cardon

Army of Two: Devils Cartel. Even with a stupid twist that could've been cool if built up properly, the final boss is a goddamn armored Humvee. Like what the hell dude...

Moaradin

maxresdefault.jpg

Coming off of the first game's amazing final boss, Bayonetta 2's final boss was pretty underwhelming. He was adequate, but not particularly interesting or even hard to dodge.

It was especially disappointing coming off of Wonderful 101. I heard that the devs were trying to one up each other with how over the top it gets, but W101 had much better bosses and a sense of escalation than Bayo 2.

jonjonaug

RAGE's final encounter, if that even qualifies, would be the most underwhelming final boss/encounter I can think of that I've played.

So a common predator room, with a stupid setup ("I know ALL your moves Bruce!.. gets knocked off a gargoyle).

... Arkham origins though?

It's time to accept Knight is unisnpired trash. It's better for our future.
Yes, a common predator room, the basis for the series' strongest mechanics, is better than roided up Todd McFarlene's joker who you don't even fight directly—there are no redeeming qualities. Arkham Origin's Bane chase/fight, City's Clayface, and probably even Blackgate's are all better than that. None of them are that great, but they all tower over the worst possible outcome that is titan Joker.

Asylum's final boss is trash and you can't even come up with a defense for it. Though iirc, you never have arguments to back up your bad Arkham opinions.

Nairume

Banned
Bioshock Infinite's final encounter is a boring slog that tries to make up for it with a gimmick you never really get to make much use of.

Top Bottom