• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Most visually appealing Switch games

Definitely Breath of the Wild. I love the look of all the first party games though. Even Fire Emblem Warriors has fairly impressive character models for the playable characters. They look really good, don't have that uncanny valley effect you usually get with anime art in 3D

silva1991

The rabbids game seems to be the clear winner to me based on the videos graphically.

Aesthetically it's probably Odyssey from what I have seen(not counting the T-rex world)

Zelda needs a special mention. The game which made the Switch popular deserves a post for how gorgeous it looks, especially in portable mode.

71-HLgrCoZL._AC_SL1280_.jpg

zelda-redux.jpg

Getting a switch soon. It looks better in portable than a tv??

Fireblend

Banned
I'm in love with how Steamworld Dig 2 looks. It's a beautiful game when played in docked mode, but it also looks incredible on the small screen. I feel like it makes the Switch screen really shine.

VanWinkle

Mario + Rabbids is the best looking game on the system. Always looks amazing. Second would be Mario Kart 8. And then Rayman Legends and Steamworld Dig 2.

You could say that many games on Switch look 'better' in portable mode, simply because it's a small screen and therefore a much higher pixel density compared to a typical HDTV.

BOTW has dynamic resolution scaling, mostly running 900p when docked, 720p handheld. 720p is native to the Switch screen, so it looks really sharp. Technically you will see more detail on a TV, but the small screen hides the flaws better.

The games that run 1080p when docked are more effective on the TV. Mario Kart for example definitely looks better on a TV to me.

Kneefoil

I honestly find the Yoshi game hideous. I wasn't a fan of the art style to begin with, but it's the amount of blur in the backgrounds that kills it for me.

Mark1

I would say it looks gorgeous regardless of the mode played. The extra resolution with 900p does make the detail out more.

Beautiful game, but it’s incredibly impressive on that stunning HD screen. The game’s frame rate holds up better in portable as well btw.

Sygma

mario rabbids by far. no aliasing, great use of modern effects and it looks stupid good on all fronts. zelda is the worse by a long shot. low res shadows, horrible textures and the aliasing as a sum of the aforementionned makes the game rough to play. it has an incredible art tho

Griss

It's a tough call between Mario Kart 8 DX and Mario & Rabbids for me.

I love Mario and Rabbids because the soft Snowdrop lighting and unique animations look so "un-Nintendo-like" so it looks like a really different take on a Mario game, but it's just gorgeous from top to bottom.

Zelda has some absolutely amazing landscapes and art design, but the poor textures and low-poly nature of the world knock it down a few pegs for me. It can be utterly stunning one moment and quite ugly the next.

zenspider

Mario + Rabbids has some great environments and is really good-looking.

I know Rabbids isn't a tech marvel, but I think it is a stunner. Gorgeous environs, great animations, and the texture look good enough touch.

If Xenoblade 2 has the vistas of the first two games, it'll probably take the cake.

VanWinkle

Yeah. I wonder if people are purposefully focusing on the exclusives and ignoring multiplats, but Wonder Boy looks astounding.

I'll be honest, I actually forgot about it. But yeah, BEAUTIFUL game.

I know Rabbids isn't a tech marvel, but I think it is a stunner. Gorgeous environs, great animations, and the texture look good enough touch.

It's the closest to a tech marvel we have on the system.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
boring answer but Zelda is blowing my mind.

i love the art style and while it might look "cartoony" i can't believe that it's running on a handheld device.

Ravelle

Mario + Rabbids is the best looking game on the system. Always looks amazing. Second would be Mario Kart 8. And then Rayman Legends and Steamworld Dig 2.

I still don't know why the game looked so good only to have the final cutscene to be a pre-rendered badly compressed video.

mas8705

Might have been the first, but BOTW definitely is the best foot forward in regards of showcasing what the Switch can do. Of course, that could change after next week.

forrest

formerly nacire
So many great games/art directions to choose from. My personal vote goes to Zelda despite the technical limitations of the hardware affecting final image quality. The sheer scope of game world that Nintendo manages to pull off without sacrificing aesthetics through an incredibly smart choice and implementation of visual/artistic direction continues to astound me.

zeldae6on6.jpg

I can't wait to see the approach they use for Metroid Prime 4. I'm guessing they will have to leverage a stylistic approach vs. a realistic approach.

Sygma

If Xenoblade 2 has the vistas of the first two games, it'll probably take the cake.

Digital Foundry literally called Rabbids as the best looking game on the Switch

Snowdrop is an amazing engine tbh

Top Bottom