• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mother Teresa to be declared a Saint September 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keasar

Teresa? A Saint? Fuck no.

Here is a Saint.
tumblr_mz6vimdfln1rx7ae7o1_500.gif

Fuck Teresa.

As a Protestant I never understood the whole Sainthood bit. Kinda, you know, goes against the whole "there's only one aspect of divinity" thing.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Gotta say, and i'm not in any way or shape claiming it's a miracle, that generally the vatican science department is generally very good.
They probably investigated, found no reason she'd survive, and classified the spontaneous remission, which is a very rare but known event, as miracle.

It's not that the healing broke physics: It was a possible, but extremely improbable event. And so, they're claiming it as theirs.

The catholic god doesn't break science - he guides it.

I'm an atheist with no sympathy for the catholic church, but facts are facts

Ummmmmmmmmm

Cohsae

The dr. who treated the woman with the tumour said that it was not a tumour but a cyst. Also she was on medical treatment for months.
What a miracle!

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
As a Protestant I never understood the whole Sainthood bit. Kinda, you know, goes against the whole "there's only one aspect of divinity" thing.
It seems that saints crop up in many religions around the work. See also Bodhisattvas in Mahayana Buddhism.

It seems that many people need very personalistic figures to relate to the divine.

Foffy

Banned
You know this woman is something awful when Osho, a fucking peddler of bullshit, said she should have been thrown into a lake.

Keep making a 'sinner' a 'saint'.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
What a disgrace. I hold the Catholic Church above this, but I know it won't reverse it's position.

It's like having a homeopath winning a Noble in medicine.

Monocle

In a way it's nice to have such a stark reminder that the Catholic Church remains the retrograde, hypocritical institution it's always been.

The Giant

Banned
What a piece of shit of a human being. A cunt like her should never be praised for the horrific things she did.

PsychBat!

Banned
Gotta say, and i'm not in any way or shape claiming it's a miracle, that generally the vatican science department is generally very good.
They probably investigated, found no reason she'd survive, and classified the spontaneous remission, which is a very rare but known event, as miracle.

It's not that the healing broke physics: It was a possible, but extremely improbable event. And so, they're claiming it as theirs.

Nice tag.

Ydelnae

Oh, wow, growing up in a catholic school everyone talked about her like she was the best person that lives in recent times. It's disheartening to read some of these posts, if what you are saying is true.

Mother Teresa believed that suffering brought people closer to God and the people in her hospices went without painkillers and usually died a very painful death.

She was a pretty sick and twisted individual, but hey, if that's who they want to hold up as a role model, then so be it.

A Fish Aficionado

There's many a Catholic priest or practitioner in MSf aka Doctor's Without Borders. Why not raise them.

There's many Catholics who do well, and are against the old priesthood.

There's many Catholics who are pro choice.

The Orthodoxy is malignant.

The Gk Chesterton ideology is alt right.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim

As someone already stated, it could have just been a cyst as a doctor who saw it apparently said. Or, as might be the case in America, where billions of dollars are wasted annually on treatment for false positives, it might have just been nothing at all, accompanied by various symptoms that were mistaken for cancer but which went away on their own.

There's not simply one aspect of divinity in Catholicism and similar faiths, i.e. the Trinity representing three aspects of God inseparably intertwined. Sainthood is simply someone who is "known" to be in Heaven through accounts and testimonials of their life and two "verified" miracles.

why am i just now hearing about how old Terry wasn't all she's cracked up to be?

Lack of media coverage.

It's kind of important to know that Teresa's views on suffering aren't out of line with Catholic orthodoxy, but the idea of intentionally withholding care or treatment is.

Mother Teresa believed that suffering brought people closer to God and the people in her hospices went without painkillers and usually died a very painful death.

She was a pretty sick and twisted individual, but hey, if that's who they want to hold up as a role model, then so be it.
woah, and it seems to say in her writings as she got older that she felt disconnected from God.. so she was putting people through pain just for shits and giggles?

A Fish Aficionado

The Orthodoxy is the problem.
Yes, she was putting poor people through pain and anguish because she felt it Right.

Audioboxer

TIL that Mother Teresa was evil

Even if there were cases of genuine care and kindness the ugly completely outweighs the good. Mass suffering and death, exploitation and money grabbing. Most people get judged on the sum of their overall parts, and therefore declaring this women a saint is just politics with an agenda 101 like usual from Vatican City.

"Do you teach the poor to endure their lot?" She replied: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

What not to love?

Audioboxer

She did was she thought was best. I don't think she we evil.

But wrong through empirical evidence. Such as the research of the Guttmacher Institute et al.

Letting tons of people die without medical care in grim conditions is evil. It doesn't matter if you "think it was best", it is what it is. Time to call a spade a spade. It was murder in my books, but I don't give religion a pass in the face of death and suffering because "prayers". If you let someone die under your care who could have been saved with actual treatment you are complacent in murder. If it's someone terminal and you don't provide a respectful and comfortable passage to death, while not maybe murder, it is still abusing and disrespecting that persons life and causing suffering. Hence how we can now put parents in jail who refuse to give their kids treatment in favour of celery water and prayers.

A Fish Aficionado

Letting tons of people die without medical care in grim conditions is evil. It doesn't matter if you "think it was best", it is what it is. Time to call a spade a spade.
I don't disagree. She's a fraud and a marketing asset that was used by the Catholic Church.

Like there's a ton of ignored and covered up stuff that went in in Spain and Ireland that could move empires.

edit: we agree.

Audioboxer

I don't disagree. She's a fraud and a marketing asset that was used by the Catholic Church.

Okay that is good. I maybe misread your post as you said you didn't think it was evil. I mean I guess everyone has different interpretations of that word, but I can't think of many more suitable times to say someone is evil than in cases like this. Or any other cases of individuals causing mass suffering and death.

A Fish Aficionado

Okay that is good. I maybe misread your post as you said you didn't think it was evil. I mean I guess everyone has different interpretations of that word, but I can't think of many more suitable times to say someone is evil than in cases like this. Or any other cases of individuals causing mass suffering and death.
My own family has been through it during Franco.

It's why my dad emigrated to Mexico and then the US with his Mexican wife.

Audioboxer

My own family has been through it during Franco.

It's why my dad emigrated to Mexico and then the US with his Mexican wife.

Sorry for coming in hard! I just get passionate about things like this as I find it horrifying when there are so many genuine hard working and caring individuals who go on passing by behind the scenes everyday (Many of whom are Catholic!). Instead we have Mother Teresa being made a saint and praised unconditionally in the face of all the wrong she done.

Like it's at a point where you couldn't even get the Vatican to admit 5% of the suffering she caused.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2

Evil, by definition, is choosing to do an immoral thing while knowing it is immoral. Mother Teresa, while responsible for tremendous unnecessary suffering and mistreatment of thousands of people, did not do that. She thought she was doing the right thing, according to her admittedly twisted worldview. She was not evil, just wrong.

Audioboxer

Evil, by definition, is choosing to do an immoral thing while knowing it is immoral. Mother Teresa, while responsible for tremendous unnecessary suffering and mistreatment of thousands of people, did not do that. She thought she was doing the right thing, according to her admittedly twisted worldview. She was not evil, just wrong.

Well, that is what I mean, people use all different boundaries to define evil. Largely I think because some associate evil with hell, while I don't as I don't believe in an afterlife. So I use the word evil rightly or wrongly to describe horrific acts of suffering/death/violence/so on.

Either way, describing her as evil, or just wrong, the women's rapsheet is horrendous regardless of what logic SHE used to condone it all. We tend to describe people who use reasons that defy logic to condone atrocities as psychopaths or sociopaths, and ultimately criminals, or at best case, mentally insane. We don't tend to give said people badges of honour and build statues in their name, or as the Catholic Church is doing here, making her a Saint.

Condom

"Do you teach the poor to endure their lot?" She replied: "I think it is very beautiful for the poor to accept their lot, to share it with the passion of Christ. I think the world is being much helped by the suffering of the poor people."

What not to love?
Dat opium

She won a Nobel Peace Prize. That's more significant than being a Saint.
I, for one, would definitively take the money.

Most of my kids went to Mother Teresa High School. It's a short walk from my house.
None of them are Catholics, but you meet fewer delinquents there than at the non religious public school. The street gangsters here are all Somalians. My wife makes those decisions and she's Pentecostal.

MT has been dead for almost 20 years, so it's a bit late to complain about the nature of her charity.

Yeah she's a total shit lord. But who cares, Sainthood is a worthless title given to a bunch of revered plebs in accordance with an organization renowned for paedophilia, rape shaming, homophobia, bigotry and misogyny who also worship a sky wizard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom