• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

Etzer

L1K57cbl.jpg

It's real!

I signed up sometime before August 23rd (that was the first email I got from them; I didn't get a sign up confirmation email).

Well there it is. Those fuckers. Unfortunately AMC is the only real option in my area, but I won't be renewing my Stubs Premiere card if this continues. No point in paying $15 if I can't earn any points going forward.

Whatever methods they're using to determine MoviePass purchases can also be used to block the CS reps from crediting your account for those tickets. Or they can just be removed from your account afterwards. Even if this method works right now, I don't expect that workaround to last long.

And how are they going to determine that? The movie ticket does not say how it was paid and the receipt cannot show the entire CC number.
Also what if I just block the movie pass logo on the card or something?

People will find a way around

Dan-o

Didn't work with Alamo Drafthouse. I am disappointed and put in a support ticket.

What happened exactly? I've had it work at the Drafthouse twice now, including yesterday.

What I do:
- Check in on MP app
- Go to Drafthouse kiosk
- Find Movie & showtime
- Select one ticket only
- Swipe MoviePass card

The only problem with that process, that I found, was that I had to swipe the card more than once for some reason. The first time I went, it took four swipes before it worked. Second time I went, it was two swipes.

Zoe

The only problem with that process, that I found, was that I had to swipe the card more than once for some reason. The first time I went, it took four swipes before it worked. Second time I went, it was two swipes.

I think that's just their shitty kiosks. I always have trouble swiping my credit cards.

dickroach

What happened exactly? I've had it work at the Drafthouse twice now, including yesterday.

What I do:
- Check in on MP app
- Go to Drafthouse kiosk
- Find Movie & showtime
- Select one ticket only
- Swipe MoviePass card

some Alamos just aren't supported / don't show up on the app

Sean

Banned
And how are they going to determine that? The movie ticket does not say how it was paid and the receipt cannot show the entire CC number.
Also what if I just block the movie pass logo on the card or something?

People will find a way around

The ticket has all sorts of information though - the theater, exact purchase date and time, a unique barcode etc. Surely AMC should be able to cross reference that stuff and find out the purchase method.

If they're cracking down on MoviePass I just can't see them leaving a big open loophole like this.

Kitoro

MoviePass is completely destroying my local Cinepolis, which is a luxury theater with $20.25 base level tickets. Of course, they're not supported by MoviePass, because Cinepolis has priced themselves out of it. They were dying before MoviePass, and they're beyond dead now.

They can't lower their prices, because there aren't enough seats in their theaters to make it back, and the rent's so unbelievably high there, that their only choice is basically to die now.

Anyway, I think the real winners here are going to be the theaters that embrace MoviePass members. AMC is foolish for driving MoviePass members elsewhere. I understand that they don't want their customers getting used to what seems like an unsustainable membership, but in the time it would take for MoviePass to fail as they fear it will, they'll have driven away many of their customers, who will likely become attached to competing theaters that embraced their business.

What I do:
- Check in on MP app
- Go to Drafthouse kiosk
- Find Movie & showtime
- Select one ticket only
- Swipe MoviePass card

It literally didn't show the movie theater in the app. I was standing right in front of it.

overcast

From AMC Stubs Terms and Conditions:

Glad I don't bother with AMC at all with how garbage their response has been to MoviePass.

Hoping today is the day after one month and two days of waiting for my card.
Yeah, fuck AMC. It's an easy decision for me because there are 3 theaters within 12 miles of me, but my Edwards shits all over the local AMC in every conceivable fashion.

Plus Edwards gives me my points so.

dickroach

MoviePass is completely destroying my local Cinepolis, which is a luxury theater with $20.25 base level tickets. Of course, they're not supported by MoviePass, because Cinepolis has priced themselves out of it. They were dying before MoviePass, and they're beyond dead now.

They can't lower their prices, because there aren't enough seats in their theaters to make it back, and the rent's so unbelievably high there, that their only choice is basically to die now.

they should lower the prices. they gotta get asses in the seats. even with the premium price on ticket prices at these premium theaters, they're still making all their money on food and drinks. you can't get a cocktail at an AMC or whatever; that's a huge draw by itself.

Ashhong

Anyway, I think the real winners here are going to be the theaters that embrace MoviePass members. AMC is foolish for driving MoviePass members elsewhere. I understand that they don't want their customers getting used to what seems like an unsustainable membership, but in the time it would take for MoviePass to fail as they fear it will, they'll have driven away many of their customers, who will likely become attached to competing theaters that embraced their business.

Eh there's no such thing as theater loyalty. If and when MoviePass dies, people will go to the theater with the best deals, even if that is AMC

Compbros

Eh there's no such thing as theater loyalty. If and when MoviePass dies, people will go to the theater with the best deals, even if that is AMC

Can't say that, a local theater is cheaper than AMC and closer but my brother always went to AMC until they started charging money for popcorn flavoring. He switched to the local one and hasn't gone back to AMC since. That was about 3 years ago. People will go wherever the movie going experience matches what they want. Some will go for deals, some will go for comfort, others a greater menu/drinks selection, so on.

Ashhong

Can't say that, a local theater is cheaper than AMC and closer but my brother always went to AMC until they started charging money for popcorn flavoring. He switched to the local one and hasn't gone back to AMC since. That was about 3 years ago. People will go wherever the movie going experience matches what they want. Some will go for deals, some will go for comfort, others a greater menu/drinks selection, so on.

That's basically what I meant. People might leave AMC now because of the MoviePass fiasco, but they would come back if they were so inclined.

The other poster said they would become attached to other theaters and not return. But if they had good point deals, or stopped charging for popcorn flavoring, people would return.

Bookoo

Ah, so AMC officially put it in the terms now not surprised since the employee told me it was a new policy.

I wonder when the Kiosks will catch up because I bought a ticket yesterday and it worked just fine.

I actually went out of my way to get the AMC points, but there is a theater across the street from my house so I guess I can go there from now on. Not a huge deal.

they should lower the prices. they gotta get asses in the seats. even with the premium price on ticket prices at these premium theaters, they're still making all their money on food and drinks. you can't get a cocktail at an AMC or whatever; that's a huge draw by itself.

My AMC you can. They have draft and mixed drinks. It's expensive af though.

AMC are such pieces of shit. Moviepass are giving them the full price of the ticket but they don't want to give people rewards on that money. Going to ride the rewards train till it's done then just jump over to my local Regals.

Signed up on Aug 15/16 (depending on your time zone), and got my card on Thursday.

I finally used it today (saw Mother!), and ehhhh I don't know if I'm going to keep it.

$10/month is less than a single ticket, but I think it still might be a bit too much to pay to have to listen to constant commentary from strangers (not to mention all the crinkling and crunching). Watching a movie pretty much anywhere else is a better experience.

Hopefully I just lucked into a really shitty showing or something.

old man yells at cloud.jpeg

What statement? Where can I see this?
they sent out an email:
"Where's My Card?" - An Update

MoviePass support@moviepass.com
Sep 13 (5 days ago)

Dear MoviePass Member,

In recent weeks, we’ve received hundreds of thousands of emails and tens of thousands of chats through our customer service channels. Though we increased our staff in anticipation of the new plan, the response has been overwhelming. In an effort to address all of your questions, we’ve tripled the size of our team, which is working to respond to everyone as quickly as possible.

Due to heavy traffic, our card processing facility has increased manpower to accommodate the high demand. After hiring more employees and lengthening their service hours, they have drastically increased the number of cards shipped on a weekly basis.

In the hopes of delivering your card as close to your sign-up date as possible, cards are created in batches on a first-come, first-served basis. Recently, the manufacturing queue was shuffled, so some of the cards have been delivered out of order. While we work to ensure that processing is fulfilled according to your registration date, some of our more recent sign-ups may receive their cards before some of our earlier sign-ups. There is currently a 2-3 week delay in card delivery. As an added measure, we’ve opened another fulfillment center that will double our weekly output.

Although you were billed for your first month of service upon registration, your membership does not begin until you receive your card and activate it in the app, and you will not be billed the second installment until a month after activation.

E-Ticketing
If you would like to use the service immediately, feel free to check our app for e-ticketing theaters, which allow you to retrieve your same day ticket, without the MoviePass card. These locations are identified by a red ticket icon next to each theater’s name. Participating theaters are Goodrich Quality Theaters, Studio Movie Grill, and MJR Theatres. Once you reserve your e-ticket at one of these locations, your first month of service will begin regardless of whether you’ve received your card.

For your convenience, we’ve included a few resources that can help you find additional information you may need. The FAQ’s should provide answers to all of your questions and the theater map allows you to search for supported locations in your area. Though several unauthorized sites were created to provide a list of supported theaters, only moviepass.com can provide accurate results.

Thank you for your patience. We’ll continue to send updates on a weekly basis.

Theater Map: https://www.moviepass.com/

FAQ’s: https://moviepass.zendesk.com/hc/en-us

Thank you,
The MoviePass Team

we have a cinepolis here too.. their prices are fucking ridiculous

and they expect people to order food and drinks on top of that ridiculous ticket price? Good riddance

Still no card for me ☹️

sleepnaught

Glad Cinemark is all over my area. Only downside is they have two 2D versions of movies, one XD and one regular, it doesn't seem to support XD, though, I haven't tried loading a movie for non XD and just swiping anyway on an XD movie. Either way, the experience is still fantastic considering it's free.

louiedog

My girlfriend and I signed up on the 23rd.

My USPS informed delivery email this morning showed this on two blank envelopes, one addressed to each. Wooo!

6a7bdee2d8.jpg

Neece

Seems like AMC is only hurting themselves with the move to not support moviepass with their stubs card. All it means is I won't be using sturbs anymore. So a much lower chance that I splurge on snacks. And luckily I just used all of my points (about 20,000) a few weeks ago.

dickroach

$10/month is less than a single ticket, but I think it still might be a bit too much to pay to have to listen to constant commentary from strangers (not to mention all the crinkling and crunching). Watching a movie pretty much anywhere else is a better experience.

whadaya mean? are you used to going to a premium theater?

Compbros

Signed up on Aug 15/16 (depending on your time zone), and got my card on Thursday.

I finally used it today (saw Mother!), and ehhhh I don't know if I'm going to keep it.

Then you probably just don't like the theater experience if you aren't going to keep it because other people make noise.

Kitoro

Has anyone heard a peep from customer service in response to e-mails?

I've sent one e-mail from 8/15, one from 8/29, and one from 9/9, and I've gotten no reply to any of them.

kubev

I kind of hate the theater experience, but that's why I go in the morning on a weekday. I went to see It, and there couldn't have been more than ten people total in the theater, so I didn't have any noise issues.

Compbros

I kind of hate the theater experience, but that's why I go in the morning on a weekday. I went to see It, and there couldn't have been more than ten people total in the theater, so I didn't have any noise issues.

My brother and I went on a Tuesday at around 2 to see Guardians of The Galaxy 2 and were the only ones there. It was the greatest experience ever. We got close again the Thursday after around 3 in Pirates but one other person was there.

louiedog

The only time I ever had a bad theater experience was when I lived in a kind of crappy neighborhood and had two theaters within 2 blocks. The old shitty falling apart one and the nice new posh one. Both were bad experiences thanks to the other people. Since then I've lived in nicer areas and it's been much better. And by nice I mean for a variety of reasons, but probably the most helpful in this situation is low density of families with teens. I hardly ever see them.

This was 3:30 on a Monday, so I thought it would be more empty. There were only about 15 people in the theater, and it was mostly older women "whispering" (talking at a normal volume) during it.

Come to think of it, most of my negative experiences at theaters have been caused by older couples (one old man shit his pants during a movie...), so maybe I need to go later at night.

Hattori

Banned
Yeah I only go in the morning on my days off or at upscale theaters, I went to a late show across my gym and it was just awful (teenagers taking selfies, and laughing like hyenas)

Compbros

Yeah I only go in the morning on my days off or at upscale theaters, I went to a late show across my gym and it was just awful (teenagers taking selfies, and laughing like hyenas)

I've done a late night in an upscale IMAX (Logan) and a premiere night (Civil War). The Civil War one had someone talking until the guy next to me went "my kid is trying to watch, can you be quiet?" and it was relatively good after that. In fact someone spoke loudly and it actually enhanced the experience for me, he said "is no one else gonna freak out?" when Spider-man was walking up to the apartment door. Fantastic.

The Logan is a bottom 3 experience for me as people laughed during inappropriate moments, the guys behind me were completely obnoxious to where I had to say something, and there was loud talking.

Edit:
This was 3:30 on a Monday, so I thought it would be more empty. There were only about 15 people in the theater, and it was mostly older women "whispering" (talking at a normal volume) during it.

Come to think of it, most of my negative experiences at theaters have been caused by older couples (one old man shit his pants during a movie...), so maybe I need to go later at night.

You saw an older woman movie, they're gonna be mostly retired with tons of free time.

dickroach

I saw Wind River at 4:30pm on Saturday and there was probably 50 people in the theater, like 45 of them with gray hair. it was a pleasant experience.

Top Bottom