• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MoviePass (Unlimited Films in Theaters) Drops to $9.95 a Month

robotrock

Banned
I noticed when I saw Kingsman the other day that the self serve kiosk at my theater (a Cinemark) allowed you to buy pre-sale tickets for Thor Ragnarok. Is there anything to stop me from going onto the app, saying I’m seeing Blade Runner, and using that money to pre-buy a Thor ticket?

Nope. Should be good to go.

KyleCross

I noticed when I saw Kingsman the other day that the self serve kiosk at my theater (a Cinemark) allowed you to buy pre-sale tickets for Thor Ragnarok. Is there anything to stop me from going onto the app, saying I’m seeing Blade Runner, and using that money to pre-buy a Thor ticket?
Nothing's stopping you, but it's against ToS. As we've been discussing tho we don't know what info Moviepass gets so we don't know if they know for sure.

jwk94

So I ordered mine about a week ago. The app says the card is processing... About how long is this whole delivery gonna take? Are they still backed up?

SexyFish

Banned
Nothing's stopping you, but it's against ToS. As we've been discussing tho we don't know what info Moviepass gets so we don't know if they know for sure.

Honestly, I doubt there is any way of them knowing. All they'd get is what theater it was used at and the amount paid.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the "take pictures of the tickets you purchased" method pre-$9.95.

I just looked at Informed Delivery and there is a letter from:

Prepaid Processing, P.O. Box 495942, Cincinatti OH, 45249

This is it after 5 weeks of waiting.

.J.

Banned
So my movie pass card arrived in the mail today!

The problem is, when I try to check in on the app, it tells me the last four digits of my card aren't valid, and under the cards section of the app, it tells me my card is still processing. What do I need to do to activate this thing???

You can probably get away with it, but this is against the rules, so if somehow MoviePass found out, you could get your account suspended.

Ashhong

This doesn't activate until we first use it right? I got mine about a week ago but haven't used it in any way. Wondering when my first month starts

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It finally happened.
I had the entire theater to myself when I went alone to a late screening of Battle Of The Sexes last night.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Finally got it in the mail.

Now the real question: Does it work for 2049 in IMAX (as it's 2D)?

If the showtime in the app is red then it works. Blade Runner 2049 2D IMAX is currently red at the IMAX closest to me.

Crayons

Banned
i went to see It a few weeks ago. Ticket came up to 16$ and change. MoviePass paid for itself in one trip

Love it

I actually lost my card and I was so upset because I thought it'd take so long to get a new one, but I luckily found it

Sunster

used it for the first time yesterday. idk why i was so surprised that it actually worked. going again today to see Battle of the Sexes. then tomorrow to see Golden Circle. I am drunk off of power now. there is no going back to the old ways.

old

I walked out of my first movie. The Mountain Between Us.

MoviePass has made me more likely to leave a movie. I'm no longer financially invested in the movie ticket. I'm not wasting my money leaving. I'm wasting my time staying.

F34R

Finally got to use my card yesterday.

So, the card that came didn't match what they had in the app. When I checked in, and it asked me for the last four of the card, I used the card in hand. Verified and activated. Glad it worked find since I haven't received a reply from support I put in almost a month ago.

KyleCross

Just bought my first movie ticket just for points. Bought a ticket to Flatliners, threw it in the trash, and went home. I'm officially part of the problem.

Honestly, I doubt there is any way of them knowing. All they'd get is what theater it was used at and the amount paid.

Wouldn't be surprised if they go back to the "take pictures of the tickets you purchased" method pre-$9.95.

Couldn't they validate it by the date purchased?

robotrock

Banned
What's stopping me from telling Moviepass that I'm seeing a movie and then buying fifteen dollars worth of candy. If you were gonna say something about my "dignity", well, I don't have any so get a better argument.

Rhete

Banned
My dad got one of these but he doesn't have a smart phone. Is he just screwed? We tried just having the clerk ring it through as a credit card but it was declined. He is an absolute luddite with technology

robotrock

Banned
My dad got one of these but he doesn't have a smart phone. Is he just screwed? We tried just having the clerk ring it through as a credit card but it was declined. He is an absolute luddite with technology

Yeah he's going to need a smart phone. Only way the card works is if it has money on it, and it loads money onto it only if you are within 100 feet of the movie theater and select on the app "I'm seeing this movie."

louiedog

If there's wifi at the theater I'm guessing a tablet or if you've got an old phone in a drawer or something that'd work. You need to check in via the app at the theater just prior to using the card.

you have to "check in" to a movie on the app to get the money put on the card

it literally says that on the homepage of the website

WHAT DO I NEED TO USE IT?
An iPhone or an Android phone is required to use MoviePass.

Sadly you need to use the app to "check-in" within 100 yards of the theatre in order to load the card with money. Without doing that the card has zero dollars and completely useless.

The Argus

Have had my card for almost a month now. Still cannot activate it when I try to input the last 4 digits. It all appears blank. This has happened across two phones. Idk, starting to think this is all a giant ruse.

Edit: last tried to activate the card within a movie theater that was supported on Sunday.

Have had my card for almost a month now. Still cannot activate it when I try to input the last 4 digits. It all appears blank. This has happened across two phones. Idk, starting to think this is all a giant ruse.

Edit: last tried to activate the card within a movie theater that was supported on Sunday.
Try this link https://www.moviepass.com/auth/session I remember logging in and putting the last four digits of my card and was ready to go.

What's stopping me from telling Moviepass that I'm seeing a movie and then buying fifteen dollars worth of candy. If you were gonna say something about my "dignity", well, I don't have any so get a better argument.
Being banned and possibly sued for fraud, since they see all the charges that go through the credit cards...

Wish you didn't have to be within 100 yards of the theater. Would like to tie the card to the Regal app and check in from home then buy the ticket on the app.

I would be buying the candy from the concessions stand.
Ah, just banned then, unless you spend exactly the same amount as a movie from that theater costs. I mean, it’d be foolish of them to not at least check if all purchases from all Moviepass users at each theater are for the same amounts, since that’d be really easy to automate. Theaters don’t have a wide variety of prices, generally one price for matinee, one price for every other showing, and possibly a weekly discount day. So their software would see that all transactions from a theater might be like $7.82, $14.56, and $6.50, and then when they see a different price for one transaction from that theater, flag the transaction for more thorough review.

Top Bottom