• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies Anywhere - New Digital Movie Locker

I'm seeing the same thing. Lego Batman - which I got from Amazon - shows 4K/Dolby Vision in my library but when I play it the pull down menu shows it's playing in HD/Dolby Vision.

Baby Driver and Spiderman Homecoming, which I got from codes redeemed on the Bluray via the MoviesAnywhere site, show the same behavior.

Hopefully it's just a quirk being ironed out.

To be fair, there's a bit a lot of growing pains in my experience (and reading other people's experiences online) with the HD->4K upgrades on iTunes. Movies showing 4K then changing back to HD then changing back to 4K, things like that.

will check when I get home. interesting. Hopefully this didn't fuck with my existing 4K entitlements ��

I DID notice over the weekend, that Spider-Man (2002) was listed as 4K Dolby, and was playing in 1080p. Even the Info box showed 4K Dolby, but the ATV developer HUD said it was 1080p SDR. It was fixed since then.

Will double check with LEGO Movie and Sherlock Holmes tonight. The former is one I just got for signing up. The latter was a previous SD digital copy which was upgraded to HD from this. Both are available as 4K Dolby on Apple and currently showing up on my iPhone as 4K Dolby entitlements.

Heh, I have a giant post in the Apple TV OT about how The Lego Movie and The Lego Batman Movie are both running in not-4K. Both of those I got from MA

//ARCANUM

From what's showing in my collection, if it exists in iTunes in 4K, it shows up as such there. Example: on Vudu I have Alien Covenant which the highest res they offer is HDX (1080p). On iTunes that movie is showing up as 4K DV HDR. So if it exists in iTunes in 4K, it appears to be giving you that.

It made me want to get an Apple TV 4K because I have a cheaper way to now watch 4K movies (buy Blu Ray, get UV code, now on iTunes I have 4K!). But my home theater setup requires 4K HDR HDMI 2.0 AND optical audio (long story but the only way I can make both surround sound and 4K HDR work without buying a shit ton of new audio equipment), and Apple TV 4K has no optical out :(.

KevinG

Nah, just call in and have them fix it.

Just unlinked my iTunes from last night using the iTunes app. Now I'm re-linked ok.. just waiting for Vudu and don't care about Amazon. Have nothing there, and only use for Prime content I can't get anywhere else.

Called this afternoon but had no such luck. I probably would've been okay if I had thought about it, or had the time to call anytime before today. Oh well.

Rogue One is lost to that other account.

Finally got all of my accounts connected. I don't have a Vudu account, but I'll probably go through and see which of my movies have Vudu codes.

I wonder if they will release an app for Apple TV 3.

Lifeline

So my Amazon and Google movies are showing up on the website, but not my Vudu movies. Is Vudu not fully compatible yet?

Holy shit. Holy shit? Holy shit.

DMA has been amazing (specifically as someone who routinely goes between, Apple, Amazon and Google devices to watch movies), and Disney managing to get other studios on board is the absolute best case scenario. This is awesome.

Just speaking for myself, as someone whose entire online movie collection is Vudu/UV, this doesn't really excite me. If anything my reaction is "Oh great, I wonder if this will screw things up". The main beneficiaries are iTunes prisoners who had bought things on that platform but that means nothing to me. Between UV, DMA, and Vudu, I was pretty happy. I realize others may have a different POV.

So my Amazon and Google movies are showing up on the website, but not my Vudu movies. Is Vudu not fully compatible yet?

This is one of my concerns. UV isn't officially compatible with this. So if I have a lot of Vudu movies obtained through UV redemptions, are those really Vudu movies? Or will the only movies that show up on this new service movies we actually purchased on Vudu? If this services isn't UV compatible then that's a huge problem, especially since many movies only come with UV redemption codes.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Just speaking for myself, as someone whose entire online movie collection is Vudu/UV, this doesn't really excite me. If anything my reaction is "Oh great, I wonder if this will screw things up". The main beneficiaries are iTunes prisoners who had bought things on that platform but that means nothing to me. Between UV, DMA, and Vudu, I was pretty happy. I realize others may have a different POV.

I have never once felt as an iTunes prisoner.. so not sure what you're going on about exactly.

the beneficiaries are everyone being able to buy movies on sale from whatever platform they want knowing that they will transfer over to their service of choice (for the included studios)

so if amazon has a movie $5 cheaper than vudu.. congrats, you can buy it and watch it on vudu now.

dallow_bg

nods at old men

I am pretty much Vudu/UV only myself but I’m happy because if these movies are ported over to iTunes in 4K then that is a huge bonus for me over paying UHD costs on Vudu.

Seems like they do port but aren’t actually playing in 4K at the moment. Will see how that shakes out.

I am pretty much Vudu/UV only myself but I’m happy because if these movies are ported over to iTunes in 4K then that is a huge bonus for me over paying UHD costs on Vudu.

Seems like they do port but aren’t actually playing in 4K at the moment. Will see how that shakes out.

I'm about to test with a 4K movie that's not The Lego Movie. I got a LOT from the move from VUDU

Cheebo

Banned

This is one of my concerns. UV isn't officially compatible with this. So if I have a lot of Vudu movies obtained through UV redemptions, are those really Vudu movies? Or will the only movies that show up on this new service movies we actually purchased on Vudu? If this services isn't UV compatible then that's a huge problem, especially since many movies only come with UV redemption codes.
UV is almost certainly being phased out as studios move to this. Disney was the deathknell to UV taking off and Disney won.

Also my UV movies from Vudu did transfer. It just took about an hour.

I have never once felt as an iTunes prisoner.. so not sure what you're going on about exactly.

the beneficiaries are everyone being able to buy movies on sale from whatever platform they want knowing that they will transfer over to their service of choice (for the included studios)

so if amazon has a movie $5 cheaper than vudu.. congrats, you can buy it and watch it on vudu now.

I have friends who have bought/redeemed iTunes movies and were constantly annoyed that they couldn't play them on their other devices such as Smart TVs, Amazon Sticks, Roku, etc. Until now, they were basically stuck buying Apple hardware (the prisoner bit) because it was a closed platform. AFAIK this new service is the first to break that, so it's a huge boon to them. I wouldn't have bought films (or music) on such a closed service but that's just my preference. Doesn't matter now, I guess.

I certainly see the benefit to consumers, but I have only obtained streaming rights to movies through two sources: Redemption codes in physical copies, and $1 streaming upgrade through Vudu's disc-to-digital UV program. So buying digital-only rights to stream movies is not something I do, so it's of limited interest personally.

dorikyasu

Connected my Vudu, Amazon, & Google accounts to this.
And now majority of my digital collection is available across different service providers. Very nice!
Props to Disney for having big enough influence on other studios to pull this off.

borghe

I have friends who have bought/redeemed iTunes movies and were constantly annoyed that they couldn't play them on their other devices such as Smart TVs, Amazon Sticks, Roku, etc. Until now, they were basically stuck buying Apple hardware (the prisoner bit) because it was a closed platform. AFAIK this new service is the first to break that, so it's a huge boon to them. I wouldn't have bought films (or music) on such a closed service but that's just my preference. Doesn't matter now, I guess.

I certainly see the benefit to consumers, but I have only obtained streaming rights to movies through two sources: Redemption codes in physical copies, and $1 streaming upgrade through Vudu's disc-to-digital UV program. So buying digital-only rights to stream movies is not something I do, so it's of limited interest personally.

after giving away (legit giving away.. not ripping and unloading) hundreds of DVDs and blu-rays (probably 600+), I have absolutely no patience left for physical clutter. even the <200 DVDs and Blu-rays I still have left are whispering to me every day "look at all of the space we are taking up".

meanwhile my 242 movies purchased on iTunes don't even take up a square inch.

I get where you are coming from. just offering an alternate perspective.

edit - even the bitrate difference hasn't bothered me too much. Apple's AVC quantization on HD has been more than close enough to Blu-ray for me.. and they are at around half of the bitrate for UHD (movies are typically averaging 30Mb). The only real pain has been being stuck with Dolby Digital (although Plus at least). So it WAS a boon when they said Atmos was on the roadmap with the 4K box.

Snaku

Banned
UV is almost certainly being phased out as studios move to this. Disney was the deathknell to UV taking off and Disney won.

Also my UV movies from Vudu did transfer. It just took about an hour.

Apple refusing to support UV, and then Amazon withdrawing their pledge to support it is what killed UV. This is what UV was always supposed to be, and it's better than MA because of family sharing. Conceptually this is a step back from UV.

kaskade

My Mad Max Fury Road is showing 4k on the apple TV and that came from VUDU. I figured Apple would just give you the highest quality version available.

I had an old copy of Watchmen that I think was only SD previously and now I’m showing HD which is nice. It was weird at one point not getting HD copies. I guess we’ll be feeling this way with 4k HDR in the near future.

My Mad Max Fury Road is showing 4k on the apple TV and that came from VUDU. I figured Apple would just give you the highest quality version available.

I had an old copy of Watchmen that I think was only SD previously and now I’m showing HD which is nice. It was weird at one point not getting HD copies. I guess we’ll be feeling this way with 4k HDR in the near future.

Stuff I had in SD from Amazon and VUDU got bumped to HD, with the one exception of American Pie, which I bought in HD on Amazon like five years ago, and came to iTunes as SD. Weird. It got redeemed in SD on VUDU as well

borghe

so yeah, people are still trying to figure out if there is an issue streaming 4K from new MA entitlements.

But yeah, it is 100% that all old SD entitlements are upgraded to HD. This happened back when Disney first started this, and it appears to have carried over to all other studios.

So it's just verifying if 4K entitlements work which it sounds like they do, aside from growing pains for iTunes 4K in general.

bastardly

Anyone have an issue where none of their disney collection is showing up on Movies Anywhere? Not a big deal since its still on itunes and such, but still weird and I connected all 4 retailers.

bastardly

Anyone have an issue where none of their disney collection is showing up on Movies Anywhere? Not a big deal since its still on itunes and such, but still weird and I connected all 4 retailers.

Kinda cool that some of the OLLLLLLD digital copies i have like jumper and sucker punch were SD on iTunes, but upgraded to HD on the other services, sweeeeeeet.

985boi

Ugh had everything but Vudu connected last night. Came back in the morning and now had to do everything over again. I finally got iTunes to connect but my library from Vudu isn't showing up on iTunes but it's visible everywhere else.

EDIT: Okay *phew* finally the movies are showing up on my iTunes account!

Xis

If you already had a Disney Movies Anywhere account you have to connect that as well.

DOWN

Banned
Apple refusing to support UV, and then Amazon withdrawing their pledge to support it is what killed UV. This is what UV was always supposed to be, and it's better than MA because of family sharing. Conceptually this is a step back from UV.
UV was definitely worse in the beginning - it wasn’t like this where anything you bought on a service in the past got imported, the way DMA has always worked. Apple supported Disney Movies Anywhere - they were never opposed to this concept as a whole. UV however was meant to strong arm Apple in the digital space so they could not do to Movies what they did to digital music. UV was a mess for a while with no download options and few services supporting it. iTunes had already been included in early years of DVDs and Blu-Rays so it was messy trying to quit giving iTunes codes and switch to new rules.

robotrock

Banned
I had this iTunes copy of Django that won't sync to Movies Anywhere, but it's up on my Vudu now. I'm trying to remember if I actually always had another copy of it on Vudu.

borghe

I had this iTunes copy of Django that won't sync to Movies Anywhere, but it's up on my Vudu now. I'm trying to remember if I actually always had another copy of it on Vudu.

yeah these are just glitches guys, I wouldn't worry. I have a copy of Rogue One that I redeemed on DMA to iTunes and Google.. it now shows up on Amazon but doesn't show up on Vudu.

I am guessing they will all eventually show up.

DOWN

Banned
So in theory, if I have an old iTunes account with a bunch of movies - could I unlink my current iTunes account, wait 180 days, link the old iTunes account and all its movies will be added to MA, then 180 days later switch back to my current iTunes account, and all the movies from my old iTunes account will have merged into the new iTunes account?

A long game, but that’s how it should work now yes?

Xis

Super happy with this. Had movies on three services, now all unified. Only films that didn’t transfer were from Paramount (Transformers).

Fun seeing what random freebies I got on various accounts. Had Austin Powers, Matchstick Men, and The Bodyguard for opening something at some point.

kaskade

OK, seems like The Dark Knight didn’t get upgraded. It’s still showing SD (at least on my iPad), VUDU version is showing HD now though. Hopefully it gets sorted out as I pretty much just want to use the iTunes version of all of these since I have an AppleTV.

bastardly

If you already had a Disney Movies Anywhere account you have to connect that as well.

Ah I see the link now, everything set up, thanks! This is awesome, had so many vudu movies i couldn't access on my apple tv. Im probably just gonna get a apple tv 4k for the free upgrades, anyone have any experiences selling an apple tv? Gamestop will pay like 35 for it.

So the 4k versions of movies aren't showing up in amazon. They did give me the black and chrome Fury road though. Gonna be interesting to see what transfers to what.

Do the 4k purchases in iTunes and Google play show up as 4k in Vudu?

psychotron

Ah I see the link now, everything set up, thanks! This is awesome, had so many vudu movies i couldn't access on my apple tv. Im probably just gonna get a apple tv 4k for the free upgrades, anyone have any experiences selling an apple tv? Gamestop will pay like 35 for it.

Just sold mine for $100. Bought 4K the same day.

So in theory, if I have an old iTunes account with a bunch of movies - could I unlink my current iTunes account, wait 180 days, link the old iTunes account and all its movies will be added to MA, then 180 days later switch back to my current iTunes account, and all the movies from my old iTunes account will have merged into the new iTunes account?

A long game, but that’s how it should work now yes?

I doubt it because if it works it opens the service up to a lot of account-sharing abuse. If it worked, couldn't you swap itunes account info with a friend and eventually end up with both libraries combined on each account through MA. As you say, a long game but that would be what happened.

Wag

Just 4K. It doesn't automatically switch to 24p, you have to do it manually in settings, but it'll totally do it

I do that now with my Shield. It's too much to hope there's a way to put Kodi on it? I have a NAS. I know nothing about Apple's products.

borghe

I do that now with my Shield. It's too much to hope there's a way to put Kodi on it? I have a NAS. I know nothing about Apple's products.

the side loading scene for the ATV is pretty huge.. but you need to be able to side load (aka have access to a Mac)

I believe it did have Kodi ported to it.

http://www.redmondpie.com/how-to-sideload-install-kodi-on-apple-tv-4/

yeah, kodi was ported. but you need access to a Mac (can take it to a friends house if need be) to side load software to it.

louiedog

iTunes is garbage and everyone who works there is evil.

c60a83ed5d.jpg

DOWN

Banned
I doubt it because if it works it opens the service up to a lot of account-sharing abuse. If it worked, couldn't you swap itunes account info with a friend and eventually end up with both libraries combined on each account through MA. As you say, a long game but that would be what happened.
I think that’s the point of the 180 day thing. It inconveniences you for 6 months if you use iTunes.

But I’m right that it would work no? It seems like it would...

Top Bottom