• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies that remind you of Videogames

Griss

Inception is the classic one, it's practically a movie about designing games and navigating through levels.

But recently, I found the end of 'The Lego Movie' to be very similar to the end of
Little King's Story.
I'm afraid I have no idea how to spoiler that better than I have - there's no way of not giving it away. I'm also aware that many pieces of media have had similar central conceits. The difference was that the Lego Movie was a massive pile of dumb suck, while my spoiler'd game was clever and phenomenal.

N30RYU

Enemy at the gates... Sniper Elite

Next... Every videogame with quicksave or checkpoints.

Seven... Heavy Rain

Moon... Swapper

ThatManTy

Neo Member
8dKtO6X.jpg

noice!

I'll go with an easy one.

gamer-movie-poster-2009-1020525251.jpg

from the directors of Crank. Ya, those guys make VG movies for sure.

Edit: no game in particular.

Battle_Los_Angeles_Poster.jpg

Very much reminded me of a standard military FPS with aliens, especially the part where they actually turn it into an FPS for a few minutes.

Also certain parts of Elysium reminded me of Halo.

Jisgsaw

I'm just comming out of Expendables 3.

Seems like a pretty standard mindless shooter, with waves of dumb ennemies, and a story that drags on in between combat scene, while all you want is shooting stuff up.

4lejandro

Lupin the 3rd- The Castle of Cagliostro (and Lupin in general of course). Ancient artifacts used to solve puzzles, crazy action set pieces, exploring exotic castles and ruins, a little bit of stealth, platforming in a clocktower and on rooftops, evil monstrous henchmen fodder, an underwater level... a Lupin game in the style of Uncharted would be welcome.

A game based on Castle Cagliostro would kick so much ass...

And yeah, when I watched Inception I immediately thought of COD MW2's intro stage :)

I just watched 'The Road' after reading this thread. I can see why the post-apocolyptic setting and film style makes people think of TLoU. I can also honestly say if Ellie had been anything like that kid I would've stopped playing the game almost immediately after the first cutscene with her. Hopefully the LoU movie is great.
or at least better than the road, it wasn't that good lol

Inception and Edge of Tomorrow are great examples and have the benefit of being good movies.

Inception even has "levels", disposable imaginary enemies, "classes" like "Pointman, Architect, Chemist, etc.", crazy environments, set rules, and so on. It really is a perfect example than could maybe be easily turned into a game on its own.

Madoka Magica: Rebellion Story's setting felt like the perfect world to set a Metrovania in. The girls explore Mitakihara City until they eventually discover that
it's a fake, surrealist version of it
created by Kyuubey inside Homura's psyche.

I would go nuts for a developer like Vanillaware or Humble Hearts(Dust: An Elysian Tail) to make a game like this set after Rebellion with a huge-ass budget.

drspeedy

the hobbit: narrative, graphics, battles, characters...

I actually felt like Pete Jackson based some of his ideas, set design, and action sequences on the 2003 Hobbit video game rather than the book. Honest- laugh if you will, but there's similarities where the movie was closer to the game than the original story... maybe because both mediums have to be more action-oriented than a book, but I still believe Pete played the game and copped some ideas.

What really caught me was the stone giant scene - it was entirely wrong vs.the book (they didn't attack the party), but in the game Bilbo has to escape hurled boulders by navigating narrow ledges, and the movie played this pretty much the same way. The escape from Goblin Town, Smaug's lair, even the layout of Lake Town felt inspired as much by the game as the book.

1357856081_hobbit_game.jpg

inm8num2

The Rock has a game-friendly plot with clear objectives (finding and disabling rockets). Good mix of action and stealth sections, too. :)

bjork

The entire time I watched that movie Ultraviolet, I wondered why there wasn't a game for that. Seems like the perfect setup for one.

Elitist1945

Battle_Los_Angeles_Poster.jpg

Very much reminded me of a standard military FPS with aliens, especially the part where they actually turn it into an FPS for a few minutes.

Also certain parts of Elysium reminded me of Halo.

I started to type in both of this into my post, decided to scroll up to see what else people said, and saw this. Damn you.

Pengew

The Thing = Resident Evil

I always felt that a Resident Evil movie should pretty much just copy The Thing but add zombies and a mansion.

nin64

Neo Member
The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers reminds me of Warcraft 3.

I was enjoying that game and the movie released right after it.

I mainly played Orc and was really excited to see Warg Riders and Fellbeast which reminds me of Wolf Raiders and Wyvern.

In Tintin, Haddock's flashback from his ancestor fighting in the pirate ship really felt like a boss battle set piece. As he has to keep igniting the gunpowder ever so often during the fight.

Apdiddy

Total Recall (2012) reboot - felt slightly like Mass Effect to me. May have been the vehicles.

Adventures of Tintin - Has a really strong Uncharted feel to it.

There Will Be Blood - Although it's not even the same in tone or story, it did remind me at times of Red Dead Redemption.

Top Bottom