• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

Andyliini

Kindergarten Cop

Having just seen Twins, I thought this one would be quite similar, considering Schwarzenegger and Reitman reunited for another film. This time the film has more action, with comedy, especially around kid characters. It's absolutely not a family film, though, most of the jokes are meant strictly for adults.

I had fun with this one, even more than with Twins. The image quality was also better this time.

Billbofet

Cobweb

This movie is an incredibly solid, tense, original horror movie.
It has a very exaggerated style that reminded me a bit of Tim Burton if Tim Burton didn't suck ass like he has for the last two decades.
Highly recommend and I would say avoid trailers before going in. Can't wait to watch this with my daughter!!!

Kindergarten Cop

Having just seen Twins, I thought this one would be quite similar, considering Schwarzenegger and Reitman reunited for another film. This time the film has more action, with comedy, especially around kid characters. It's absolutely not a family film, though, most of the jokes are meant strictly for adults.

I had fun with this one, even more than with Twins. The image quality was also better this time.

Animated GIF

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Book of Eli, it’s so “good dumb” story, there’s something about the browns, and shadows, walking through that desert felt like an experience.

Bible GIF

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Kindergarten Cop

I know some people that were kid actors in that movie! Good fun.

Also, this movie was used as reference material when Konami was making the original Silent Hill.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Battle Angel Alita

I do like this movie but man… I felt like every inch of it is screaming and asking for it to be r or m rated. The actors and environments are waaaayyyy to clean for the setting. It just feels off. I mean, I can see why they didn’t do it as violent and dark but it’s such a shame. I like to imagine it have being made with a Blade Runner vibe. Bomb in the box office for sure but it would have become an instant classic to all people that matter.

Last edited:
Battle Angel Alita

I do like this movie but man… I felt like every inch of it is screaming and asking for it to be r or m rated. The actors and environments are waaaayyyy to clean for the setting. It just feels off. I mean, I can see why they didn’t do it as violent and dark but it’s such a shame. I like to imagine it have being made with a Blade Runner vibe. Bomb in the box office for sure but it would have become an instant classic to all people that matter.

I'm a fan of the anime ascetetic so happy they didn't change a thing

AJUMP23

The Flamingo Kid (85). This is a great film I had never seen before. Matt Dillon hector alonso and other in this film. About a young man trying figure it out for himself. Every character feel developed. The story is well written. The conflict has reason and the movie has heart. A better character film than most anything made today.

Go find it and watch it.

Andyliini

Junior

I had a hunch this film was not for me, but it was already in my film shelf so what the heck. Should have listened to myself, as I cringed my way through the film. Maybe shared sense of shame is fun for some people, but it certainly does not work for me. At least GF had fun with it.

Majormaxxx

Just saw Mission Impossible: Dead Reckoning...

Hayley Atwell is FOINE! Big boobs, slim waist and a round thing in your face! She's so pretty too! And Rebecca Ferguson has one of the prettiest smiles in British or American cinema!

Oh yeah, the movie was good! Can't wait til part 2!
We will have to wait quite for part two...

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
"The Favourite" (2018) on Netflix.

First off it's just beautiful to look at. The sets are amazing. I see why Olivia Coleman won the Oscar for her performance.
Nicholas Hoult steals the show whenever he's onscreen.
There's also quite a bit of vomiting 😁

Last edited:

Andyliini

Killing Gunther

A group of assassins are planning to kill a veteran assassin, and hire a camera crew to film thwir exploits. The whole film is done in a documemtary style of characters talking to the camera directly. I think it's supposed to be funny, and while the characters are caricatures, they are not funny at all. This could have been mpre watchable of it was a sketch in a show, but it lasts for 90 minuted and loses all steam long before the mid point. Also Arnold Schwarzenegger is the top billed actor in this, but only appears in the final act of the film.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
I watched the Book of Clarence last night... It was an excellent dramedy and gave an interesting perspective on the story of Jesus.

Highlights for me were John The Baptist and Mary Magdalene. But Lakeith Stanfield as Clarence carried this movie!

Last edited:

Andyliini

Aftermath

It's a surprisingly good direct-to-video drama about the aftermath of a plane crash, and follows the stories of a person whose family died in the crash and also the story of the air traffic controller, who was responsible for the crash. Both stories are tragic, of course, and the latter part of the story is told well. The beginning was a bit of a letdown, but the latter half saved much. Not a masterpiece, but a good film.

Hugare

Anatomy of a fall

What an utterly boring movie, my God.

The premisse is good, but the execution is so mundane. Boring characters in boring dialogue and boring events. The prosecutor acts like a cartoon vilain. Courtroom scenes in general are pretty bad. I tried looking online if there were other people feeling the same, and I only found some pretentious reasons why I should love the movie.

I have no idea how this movie was nominated for Best Picture. It's really bad. I've watched it after Monster, which made me deslike the movie even more.

Now, about Monster: what an incredible movie. Beautiful visuals, excellent story that keeps you engaged, excellent performances. Japanese cinema firing on all cilinders. Highly recomend it.

GeekyDad

Aftermath

It's a surprisingly good direct-to-video drama about the aftermath of a plane crash, and follows the stories of a person whose family died in the crash and also the story of the air traffic controller, who was responsible for the crash. Both stories are tragic, of course, and the latter part of the story is told well. The beginning was a bit of a letdown, but the latter half saved much. Not a masterpiece, but a good film.
Your post got me curious, so looked it up. Saw it had Arnold in it, got cautious. Watched the trailer, and saw guns in hand and heard vengeance music, and don't think it's something I wanna watch.

Good review, though. Thanks

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Arrival

I can understand why the broad public doesn’t exactly rave about Villeneuve but boy do I love this style of slow and visually impressive filmmaking. I think Sicario was the first one that made me notice him somewhat but it was after Arrival I realised that I love it. Went back and watched all his movies at that point and have been anticipating his next ever since. He has yet to disappoint me and I’m glad he keeps his style regardless of the lacklustre box office. He really must have some good producers backing him. Perhaps some of the last few one in Hollywood that actually like movies as art form.

Arrival

I can understand why the broad public doesn’t exactly rave about Villeneuve but boy do I love this style of slow and visually impressive filmmaking. I think Sicario was the first one that made me notice him somewhat but it was after Arrival I realised that I love it. Went back and watched all his movies at that point and have been anticipating his next ever since. He has yet to disappoint me and I’m glad he keeps his style regardless of the lacklustre box office. He really must have some good producers backing him. Perhaps some of the last few one in Hollywood that actually like movies as art form.

I hated Arrival. The only two movies I love of his is Dune Part One and Sicario. I can't wait for Dune Part Two to come to Streaming/VOD

NahaNago

Beowulf 1999.

Beowulf_Cover_B_fit.jpg

Fun sunday movie, acting is pretty mid, cgi is dog shit. and it just didn't age well at all. Still fun to watch.

6/10.
I used to love this movie. It was one of my all time favorites but I haven't seen it in a while so I'll have to do a rewatch to see if it holds up.

The Beekeeper was an enjoyable watch. I thought the ending battle was too scattered. I would have liked maybe a one shot style of his journey killing his way through to the last boss. The ending was also disappointing. I'd rate this just a "B". If not for those last 25 minutes being disappointing I would have rated it an "A".

HANU MAN is a modern day super hero fantasy Indian movie. I guess this would be think guy who tries to help others but is weak gets a hold of artifact that makes him strong and has misunderstandings with love interest. It does have some twists in characters and stories but a basic hero story. The weirdest thing for me is that the supposed main bad guy is really only seen in the beginning of the movie and maybe the last 30 minutes of this 2 and a half hour long movie. The ending of the movie has me looking forward to the third movie instead of the sequel it teases at the end since I'm guessing that the 2nd movie in this series will be a prequel. I'd say it was enjoyable but simply okay.

I've unfortunately watched a bunch of C tier horror movies lately. I was hoping to find a gem but they were all meh.

Last edited:

Sonik

The Beekeeper aka Neil Breen writes a high budget movie! The cringe exposition scenes explaining the idiotic concept of the Beekeeper again and again, the OP protagonist, the terrible acting, the heavy handed and childish messages about power and society, I'm convinced Neil is behind this. Why can't these Hollywood morons even write a decent action movie now? How hard is it to write a decent action character with believable motivations? Jesus fucking Christ

Last edited:

Muffdraul

I bought Inherent Vice on blu-ray almost 10 years ago. 2015 according to my Amazon account. I loved Boogie Nights, I loved Magnolia... I didn't love Punch Drunk Love when I saw it in theaters, but I came around after a few more viewings on DVD over the years. I loved There Will Be Blood. I loved The Master. I don't remember why, but I didn't see Inherent Vice in theaters, and I didn't watch it even when I bought it on blu-ray. It might have been down to my friend who's a way bigger Paul Thomas Anderson fan than I am telling me he thought it sucked.

Aaanyway... a few weeks ago I finally watched Licorice Pizza. I didn't care much for it, but at least it was an easy watch. I had no problem sitting through it. Maybe three weeks ago I finally watched Phantom Thread. Based on what little I knew about it, I expected it to be very boring and a bit of a chore. Not so, I found it totally riveting, I really enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Then, last weekend I finally did it. I found my very old Inherent Vice blu-ray and peeled off the cellophane and put it in and pressed play.

I can't remember the last time I felt like I had to fucking wrestle with a movie like this just to finish it. I could only stomach 30 minutes at a time, then I'd have to go do something else for a few hours. Once in a while something interesting or funny or colorful would happen, but for the most part it was just one of the most boring and arduous watching experiences I've had. I NEVER look at my phone while I'm watching a movie. When I watched Inherent Vice, I couldn't put my phone down.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I saw Godzilla -1.0/C in the theater. It was excellent, but I thought the color version of the movie was much better. 🤷‍♂️

I bought Inherent Vice on blu-ray almost 10 years ago. 2015 according to my Amazon account. I loved Boogie Nights, I loved Magnolia... I didn't love Punch Drunk Love when I saw it in theaters, but I came around after a few more viewings on DVD over the years. I loved There Will Be Blood. I loved The Master. I don't remember why, but I didn't see Inherent Vice in theaters, and I didn't watch it even when I bought it on blu-ray. It might have been down to my friend who's a way bigger Paul Thomas Anderson fan than I am telling me he thought it sucked.

Aaanyway... a few weeks ago I finally watched Licorice Pizza. I didn't care much for it, but at least it was an easy watch. I had no problem sitting through it. Maybe three weeks ago I finally watched Phantom Thread. Based on what little I knew about it, I expected it to be very boring and a bit of a chore. Not so, I found it totally riveting, I really enjoyed it from beginning to end.

Then, last weekend I finally did it. I found my very old Inherent Vice blu-ray and peeled off the cellophane and put it in and pressed play.

I can't remember the last time I felt like I had to fucking wrestle with a movie like this just to finish it. I could only stomach 30 minutes at a time, then I'd have to go do something else for a few hours. Once in a while something interesting or funny or colorful would happen, but for the most part it was just one of the most boring and arduous watching experiences I've had. I NEVER look at my phone while I'm watching a movie. When I watched Inherent Vice, I couldn't put my phone down.
That's too bad mate. I really like the film and own it on DVD. It does the period piece better than Tarantino and much more subtly. I don't like Paul Thomas Anderson's other works as they are downright depressing and nasty but this one is filled to the brim with great dialogue, dry humor, funny scenarios, and mystery. I am like a moth to the flame drawn to the settings and pacing of 70's cinema basking in the mundane and setting the scene.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Top Gun

Haven't watched this since I saw it on TV in the 90's. I did not remember much, but after this new watch, I have a few nitpick about this one. First, the editing is all over the place. Some times there is some time happening between scenes, but the editing makes it look like no time has passed. Also, in the world they live in, sunsets last for hours and can even become bright daylight in between. Also, it was difficult to follow who's who when they were in their fighter jets. The cuts were quick, and although they had names on their helmets, I rarely had time to see it.

Other than those, the film is fine. Nothing special, but fun nevertheless. Tom Cruise must be one of the most one-note movie stars in current Hollywood. There are others, but he is the biggest one.

Sonik

I don't care if I die on this hill but Underwater (2020) is a good movie. Yes the CGI are often terrible but the movie's budget was limited (50+ million iirc) so I get it, plus the practical effects and setpieces were very good so I don't care, the point is that the characters were enjoyable, the action was nonstop and very fun and the atmosphere was top-notch. Believe it or not Kristen Stewart was likeable too in the role and had good chemistry with the other actors, it really felt that some of them knew each other and she cared about the Captain even though interactions between characters are kind of brief. I might be a bit biased because I'm a sucker for Lovecraft but goddamn I don't get why so many people dislike the movie. Is it just because of the CGI?

Last edited:

SirTerry-T

Had my Criterion Collection Blu-Ray of Scorsese's After Hours arrive today, so that was my Friday night "midnight movie".
One of my favourite Scorsese films, it's such a great, quirky, dark comedy.
Looks great too, and the cast is fantastic.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I love Michael Mann's movies so I had to check out "Ferrari" (2023).
I enjoyed it but have this weird feeling I won't remember a thing about it in a week 😄
Penelope Cruz was really really really good in it.

NahaNago

saw Argylle and I don't quite know what to think about it. Like I mostly enjoyed it but it felt all over the place. That last like 30 minutes just threw me off. Bryce had this great inventive fight scene but unfortunately the way it was shot I kept thinking this is not her doing any of this fighting. Sam Rockwell did a pretty good job in the movie but he didn't quite sell his character to me. Like his action scenes were great and being the support character worked but they were aiming for a bit more with him and didn't quite work. The breaking bad guy was his typical somewhat over the top self. I'm in between a C+ and B- for this movie. This movie needed more tweaks to make it rank an A score.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
The Hunchback of Notre Dam

Looking at Disney in 2022+ it’s crazy to think they approved something like this back in the 90s. I can’t see them ever making a movie this dark again. Good old days when they still had some balls. This is one of my favourites from them. Great plot, amazing soundtrack. Love it every time.

MadAnon

The Beekeeper aka Neil Breen writes a high budget movie! The cringe exposition scenes explaining the idiotic concept of the Beekeeper again and again, the OP protagonist, the terrible acting, the heavy handed and childish messages about power and society, I'm convinced Neil is behind this. Why can't these Hollywood morons even write a decent action movie now? How hard is it to write a decent action character with believable motivations? Jesus fucking Christ
I'm confused how this movie seems to be received rather positive overall.

The action scenes is the only thing that puts it a step above your average Steven Seagal cinema torture session. It's that bad. I was half expecting for Statham to stumble into a strip club and meet Seagal for this mess to finally make "sense".

SPLIT

Definitely the best M Night movie... Kept me guessing what was going to happen next.
Confused Tom Hanks GIF

Did you know M. Night Shyamalan also directed The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs? I honestly could not take James McAvoy seriously in this film. It was like watching a compilation of Jim Carrey on In Living Color but not funny at all. It was not even unintentionally funny like Lady In the Water and The Happening.

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Confused Tom Hanks GIF

Did you know M. Night Shyamalan also directed The Sixth Sense, Unbreakable, and Signs? I honestly could not take James McAvoy seriously in this film. It was like watching a compilation of Jim Carrey on In Living Color but not funny at all. It was not even unintentionally funny like Lady In the Water and The Happening.

Yes, I did. I'm speaking in the moment as I was kinda blown away. I still haven't seen the follow-up.

I don't think McAvoy was going for funny. I took it as him going for unsettling. Imagine you're a frightened teen girl and he comes out acting like a 9 yr old in a grown man's body talking about wanting to kiss you or dance to some ska music... Would you laugh or be afraid for your life?

Top Bottom