• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You’ve Watched Lately |OT| - 2024

nMIYRob.gif

★☆☆☆☆ / Documentary footage of Meghan Markle joining the Royal family

Last edited:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Actually enjoyed kingdom of the planet of the apes the highlight was destroying the value, they could continue this franchise forever now they’re heading into space. The intention of these modern planet of the apes movies is really good.

Andyliini

Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome

Maybe it was the death of Byron Kennedy, but this had a completely different feel to it than it's two predecessors. For starters, first two films were all about cars and motorbikes, while this film barely has them. And even the credits sequence has pop music, which would not have been there previously. It's not a masterpiece by any means, and feels quite disjointed. I haven't followed the films reputation, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was considered a black sheep of the series.

Also, the titular Thunderdome is dealt with quiet quickly.

Hard disagee there buddy. One hit wonder for me. All style no substance.

D9 was great, everything else ranges from bang average to total shit.
I had fond memories of D9. Rewatched it about a year ago and felt very let down.

All the world building in the 1st half is great. The 2nd half is just a perpetual barrage of deus ex machinas.

pachura

-not sure what the point of the feyd character or the gladiator scene. Guy didn't really do anything and had to drug chumps in order to beat them??
Here's an explanation from some Reddit thread:

The fight in the arena is more nuanced in the book. It's an example of the 'plans within plans within plans' theme that plays throughout the book. Feyd-Rautha is working with Thufir Hawat (captured by Harkonnens & forced to work for them) to make it seem that the slave master had not drugged a combatant as a means to frame him. Feyd also has a secret word that will paralyze the combatant so him not being drugged will not be an issue. Feyd didn't expect the undrugged combatant to be a veteran Atreides who's very capable. This could be because Hawat was trying to get him killed. Feyd also had one more tick up his sleeve in that one of his blades was poisoned but nobody knew which blade since he switched them.

The way these events unfold make Feyd come off incredibly dangerous as he not only took out the 'surprise' enemy but he showcased his poison trick which means nobody who faced him would know what knife was poisoned.

-Last fight with Paul didn't make sense. Paul getting stabbed then suddenly magic happens and the sword is turned on feyd? mb need to rewatch
In the book, it was more complicated: Feyd was (most probably) conditioned during sex with a Bene Gesserit (Margot Fenring) to react to a secret word. Paul doesn't want to use this knowledge during the fight as it would give him an unfair advantage. When he's close to losing, he screams "I won't say it!", which confuses Feyd for a split second, allowing Paul to win.

-Are all bene gesserits drinking the water of life to get their powers?? I'm confused
Only if they needed to become Reverend Mothers, be able to communicate their ancestors & convert water of life in order to host spice orgies.

-I need more, I can't stop thinking about it. Wish this was made into a TV series
There were 2 TV series in early 2000's. Haven't watched them, though.

kurisu_1974

is on perm warning for being a low level troll
Just some of what I have watched. Reached about 7000 watched movies recently :D

Civil War

Screen-Shot-2024-02-22-at-1.05.25-PM-2.png

Very entertaining movie from a mostly great director. More a road trip than a proper war movie, the guy from Tropa de Elite was great as were the set pieces. Also liked how it managed to stay apolitical.

Arthur the King

atk-01912rc.jpeg

A bit clichéd maybe, but I really liked this true story. Wahlberg is dependable as always, the little doggie was amazing.

Immaculate

OIP.J9-A_JGp2AHjjuvRwgLcxAHaDt

Very decent religious horror harking back a bit to the Italian roots of the genre, especially with the soundtrack and the amazing ending.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

mckenna-grace-gb.webp

Pains me to say this but this was super lame. That teen lesbian subplot sucked all the little joy that was there out of this.

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

OIP.fUPLpVQaP9S6w9TEx6JvgAAAAA

Another dud, this was painfully unfunny and lacked any tension in the plot. A waste of a good cast and a good story.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare

maxresdefault.jpg

Cast was solid, the story and acting was simple not good. Wish the movie took itself a bit more seriously. Didn't annoy me enough to stop watching it however.

2/5

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire

ghostbusters-frozen-empire-replacement-button-1708654393053.jpg

Good movie, enjoyed it nothing special however. Liked the cast. Wish Bill Murray was a bit more on screen as he was phoned in it looks like. Felt a bit rushed at the end, maybe a 2 parter would actually have fit more into this movie.

3/5

Accident men:

MV5BMzZiY2JhNmMtYjA2MS00NTQ4LWI4MDctZmQ1NTY3OWI4YTc0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzYxOTQ3MDg@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Decent movie, but simple not that great acting of the main actor. expected more from it but not bad enough to stop it.

2/5

Screamers:

MV5BMjE5MzEwMDc5MF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwNDUyMDc5._V1_.jpg

Decent movie, acting sub par, didn't age well.

2/5

Wrath of Man

p18774021_v_h9_ao.jpg

Good movie enjoyed it, cast was good and the way they filmed it was great.

4/5

Kong Skull island

MV5BMWUxNjZiNTAtZmMwMi00MmYxLTkxZGEtZWE1MzU0OWFjOTNhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNzk1MzI3MTI@._V1_FMjpg_UX1000_.jpg

Liked the cast, nice adventure movie and a solid movie all around enjoyed it.

4/5

Last edited:

Billbofet

Abigail (3/5):
Much better than I expected, fun to watch with my daughter. Only gripe is I wish the trailer had not ruined the big "surprise" as it's odd the movie plays it out like a big reveal until almost half way in.

Late Night with the Devil (3/5):
Really pulls off the vibe of a late 70's talk show. David Dastmalchian is fantastic. The ending was a little off, and the Carmichael Hunt character was a bit hefty on the cheese.

I watched these back to back with my teenage daughter, who LOVED them both. Good times!

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Ungentlemanly Warfare. It was well acted with good set pieces. But was the movie over all great, no, it was mediocre. Villain was terrible, but the cast worked well together.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
Enemy (2013).
I enjoyed it but did not understand the spider metaphor.

Infinity Pool (2023).
What the hell was that all about.

Maybe I'm not intelligent enough & I don't care 😆

The Zone of Interest

zone_of_interest_1710392770827_1710392796605.jpg

That was a really good movie. I never want to watch it again.

Lucy

MV5BMWZiODYyZGEtOTBjMC00YzQ5LTg0NGMtYTI2ZTg5OGQzOTlkXkEyXkFqcGdeQVRoaXJkUGFydHlJbmdlc3Rpb25Xb3JrZmxvdw@@._V1_QL75_UX500_CR0,0,500,281_.jpg

Luc Besson used 0% of his brain to write this one.

The villain was only necessary to the beginning of the film. Shoehorning him into the story past that was moronic. The inclusion of the French cop felt like an afterthought. And Lucy was too OP. I know that's the entire premise, but I find it difficult to invest myself in a story when there's little at stake.

Gp1

Race_for_Glory_Audi_vs._Lancia.jpg

A masterclass in how to f* up one of the most unf*able underdog tales in racing history.

Just tell the damn story as it is, add a bit of drama here and there you are good to go. Do not invent boring facts that never happened.

2/5

Andyliini

Mad Max: Fury Road

Considering how reboots after 30 years usually go, this one does it's job well. The feel is familiar one from original films, it's silly and a bit cheesy, but also fun. What I liked the best, is the pacing. The film never stops on it's tracks, and even quiet moments move along at nice pace. It's not my favorite film by any means, but I still enjoyed it more than the original trilogy.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
Near Dark

I've been hearing about this movie for years. It was in some kind of distribution hell so it was difficult to find it. It's on Tubi now.

It's a very moody horror film. It is very much an 80's movie. It's a vampire movie without saying the V word out loud. It's full of actors who can really chew scenery like Bill Paxton and Lance Henrisken. I really like the way that the first vampire is introduced. She talks about how she'll still be around when the stars burn out and go cold. Really gothic style character the 80's.

It gets campy, and like many low budget films it has extended periods of messiness, but I really enjoyed it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Infinite

A Mark Wahlberg sci-fi action flick from a few years back where there are people who are reincarnated and remember their past lives. Typical good guys trying to stop the bad guys from destroying the world fare. It's pretty average but I liked it well enough.

mortal

Gold Member
MV5BNTk1MTdmYzctNzlkOS00ZTNmLWI4ZTMtMzc3OWFkMDI0MTJkXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMTkxNjUyNQ@@._V1_.jpg

Challengers (2024)​

This was fantastic. It's one of the most unique romance dramas I've seen in a while, with great performances from the three leads.
Wonderful cinematography and editing work. Not to mention an intense EDM score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross. Although it did distract from the dialogue in certain scenes, it complements the tension throughout the film.

The screenplay was actually written by the same guy who made the classic potion seller meme lol

Last edited:

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Detective Conan: The Million Dollar Pentagram

Detective_Conan_The_Million_Dollar_Pentagram_Poster.jpg

Successfully navigated the city I'm in and was able to find a huge movie theater that was on the 7th floor of a giant mall so I could see this. Was fun watching a foreign language movie without subtitles, as it was a real test of my listening comprehension. There was a lot I didn't fully understand, but enough that I did to enjoy myself watching this.

Fun plot and a great setting in Hakodate. A cool mystery with a historical background. My only real gripe was that at no point was the main character himself really relevant to what unfolded, he was just kinda "there".

Last edited:

Roberts

Still can't muster enthusiasm to watch any new films so I've been watching old stuff that has eluded me in the past:

Yakuza Wolf: I Perform Murder - a pretty nasty, sleazy Sonny Chiba gangster movie that takes a lot of inspiration from Spaghetti Westerns. Chiba less feral than usual, doesn't say much and it is all mean stares. And it suits him well. Also, saw the sequel (which has nothing to do with the first one) and it's nowhere near as good.

Radioactive Dreams - I think I finally discovered an Albert Pyun alien transmission that I genuinely liked. A fun, weird post apocalyptic comedy that is kind of like Fallout meets Streets of Fire.

Days of Being Wild - One of my favourite Wong Kar-wai pictures mostly because he is still discovering himself but at the same time it is so pure.

Brigade of Death - Totally bonkers French cop movie that is a cross between Live and Die in LA and Italian Poliziotteschi but with the sleazy factor turned up to 11. More sensitive modern viewers would be terrified from the stuff that happens in it.

The Mortal Storm - Borzage made this romantic drama about a Bavarian town changing forever at the time of Hitler's rise to power. Solid stuff.

May December - The only recent movie I have seen from the bunch. Hayes approaches this kind of a story from possibly the only possible angle but I was surprised how darkly funny it was.

INC

Monkey man

Enjoyable tbh, could of been more slick and less obvious.
And it 100% felt like a bollywood John Wick film, but with less style.
The start got me intrigued, the middle felt unnecessary, and the ending didn't really pay off.
But had some nice imagery, and I like dev patel

A decent 6.5/10

Andyliini

The Madness of Max

A bonus documentary I got while I bought Mad Max Anthology box years ago. I didn't really watch it, for the most part I had it on the background while playing with my Switch on the cough. Therefore I have nothing to say about it really, other than that it was too long. 2 and a half hours about making a movie, no matter how influential, is too much.

John Marston

GAF's very own treasure goblin
I've never seen the 1983 Scarface. Be honest: does it hold up today on a first-time view? I want to watch it but the three hour runtime is making me balk.
I'd say go for it.
Powerful performances by Pacino & Pfeiffer. Good stuff from Steven Bauer and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio.

And many iconic movie moments 😁

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Sasquatch Sunset - I did not think it was good.

Lazareth - This is an OK movie, the twist is pretty easy to figure out. But the overall movie is decent.

Top Bottom