• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Movies You've Watched Lately |OT| - 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.

22:22:22

NO PAIN TRANCE CONTINUE
Yeah, I seem to go back to Arrival every now and again myself. There's something about it, some hidden ingredient that I don't quite get, but it speaks to me in some meaningful way.

It has its problems but movies like these are rare so I can brush it aside.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Lb3DYZL.jpg

Dumbest shit I ever seen. How does this have a 92% on RT?

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
I saw Dr Sleep again recently, and I’m just really impressed by the acting in it. I’m also surprised it flew under my radar during release, as I didn’t really see any hype at the time

Same, but I much preferred the ending of the book.

Doom85

I saw Dr Sleep again recently, and I’m just really impressed by the acting in it. I’m also surprised it flew under my radar during release, as I didn’t really see any hype at the time

Yeah, I thought it was solid. I honestly preferred the first 2/3 of the film when it was doing its own thing, like the Overlook section wasn’t bad but did feel fairly fanservice-y. The ending was nice though, felt like a way to give a nice nod to the ending of the book version of The Shining that Kubrick deviated from in his film (like, I greatly enjoy the Shining movie, but I prefer the book as Jack is more three-dimensional in it).

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
I thought it was entertaining enough. What was dumb about it?
I mean the premise alone is absurd. Guy who is brilliant handsome young scientist that invents invisible suit that would make him the richest man on earth is petty enough to stalk his rando ex that leaves him, so he kills his sister and asks her to come back to him... Like I'm trying my best to suspend my disbelief but you gotta work with me here.

Why not keep his phone that she finds in the attic..or record with her own phone when she finds the invisible suit at his house. Or when he beats the life out of everyone at the facility, surely it's being recorded by a million cameras, seeing that it's a security facility and would surely vindicate her?? Also entire time she's got a gun and she's just laying there until he's done, then she gets up and starts chasing him lmao

And when she threw paint on him and 2 minutes later he's invisible again?? Or after she stabs him with the pen and fucks up the suit then suddenly he's invisible again when he's hiding from her in the rain.. it's just stupid shit after stupid shit which is shame because the presentation is actually quite good and the main actress is good, other than when she starts to act like a crackhead for no reason. Just really poorly written

Also she got a bunch of money from his death, can't buy an IR or thermal camera?? I get it's an allegory for domestic abuse but c'mon this shit is just insultingly stupid.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
CtfmG2G.jpg

Finally got around to seeing this. Probably the weakest Tarantino I've seen IMO, along with inglorious B

j2tZSPh.jpg

Dumb as fuck. Even dumber when you read about the "real" events

ObNnOQs.jpg

Cool story, alright movie

RawxIkp.jpg

Quite enjoyed this, but probably not for everyone lol

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Is she looking healthy again? She had some rough years, good to see her back in stuff that doesn't look like it was filmed in a dorm room.
There is some stuff clearly green screen. Other stuff looks fine. She sounds like she smoked 8 million cigarettes. Raspy.

But the movie was fine. Like a hallmark movie.

mortal

Gold Member
RawxIkp.jpg

Quite enjoyed this, but probably not for everyone lol
Just watched Triangle of Sadness as well. This film was fantastic.

Such an interesting cast of characters in humoring and absurd scenarios. Beautiful cinematography as well.
I agree it may not be everyone's cup of tea. This was my introduction to this director, so I'll be checking out his other films.

Last edited:

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie

Such an interesting cast of characters in humoring and absurd scenarios. Beautiful cinematography as well.
I agree it may not be everyone's cup of tea. This was my introduction to this director, so I'll be checking out his other films.
Love the Square. plus it has a sweet trailer xd

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
3jMh0Z4.png

Stray Dog - Akira Kurosawa (1949)

A clinic in mise-en-scene, and that includes the score. A new detective attempts to track down and retrieve his stolen pistol within the seedy underside of post WWII Tokyo during a sweltering heat wave. This may not be the first crime noir of its fashion, but it gives its predecessors a run for their money. The city itself becomes one of the main characters. It's a side of Tokyo during this era that I didn't know ever existed.

I wish this was on bluray or some part of a Criterion Collection on bluray. It's on Tubi in the USA.

4.5/5

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Jurassic World Dominion

Wow, from all the paths they could have taken after Fallen Kingdom they go with mutant crickets... You can't make this shit up. What imbeciles are writing these scripts?

MastAndo

I enjoyed it as well. I agree with the sentiment that it's probably not for everyone, but I found it entertaining with strong performances. I didn't quite expect it to go where it did with the third act, but I thought it tied up the film's commentary about social dynamics quite nicely.

I was also pretty bummed out to find out that the actress who played Yaya (Charlbi Dean) died a few months ago. So terrible, she was only 32 years old.

the addams family (1991).

been watching Wednesday on Netflix so that made me want to watch the movie. i remember seeing some of the movie when i was a kid but it freaked me out. i was terrified of Thing and It. so ive finally watched it all after all these years. still didnt like it. if it wasn't for Christopher Lloyd being in it then i wouldn't have bothered to be honest. well, i lie... i wanted to see how Christina Ricci played Wednesday and how Jenna Ortegas portrayal compares.

i know there is a second movie but not sure if i will watch it.

i can't stand horror movies where you have some person trying to act all creepy by smiling. i hate it and find it so cringey. any movie where the character does an evil smile...urgh lol. the title alone killed any chance of me watching it. i think i saw a trailer but yeah i know i'd hate it.

Last edited:

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Tar - best movie I've seen of 2022 so far. Cate Blanchett absolutely crushed it. Maybe her best performance of her career and she's had a decorated one. Thought it was an interesting exploration of a variety of themes.

Last edited:

Andyliini

Last weekend I watched Legend from 1985 for the first time since late 90's, when I first caught it on TV. To be fair, this could have been my first time watching it, since I did not remember anything about it, only vaguely the antagonist.

It was certainly not the best film from Scott, it felt like the story and pacing was all over the place. It was difficult to follow, even though the plot was super simple. Visually it was pleasing, and definitely a change to the dark and grim worlds of Scott's Alien and Blade Runner, which came out before.

I watched the director's cut, but I don't think watching the theatrical version would be of any interest.

One of the best horror movies ever imo.
Mostly the film relies on subtle, subliminal horror. But when it's adequate, it also can get really nasty.

The movie is btw a remake. The original released 1977. However, I would consider the film more as a complete reinterpretation that even surpasses the original.

Some people though may have issues with the film due to its length and "arthouse" style.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
vWxEV35.jpg

Grimcutty (2022)

This film pulls from so many aspects and topics of pop and internet culture that it feels messy. Derivative of many previous, even recent horror movies. It's not terribly tense or frightening despite some earnest attempts at jump scares.

The best thing I can say about this is that the actors all put in some good work.

GeekyDad

Mostly the film relies on subtle, subliminal horror. But when it's adequate, it also can get really nasty.

The movie is btw a remake. The original released 1977. However, I would consider the film more as a complete reinterpretation that even surpasses the original.

Some people though may have issues with the film due to its length and "arthouse" style.

I'm rarely in the mood for horror, but you've piqued my interest.

Excellent movie. I hope the director does the remake for the other 2 films in the Trilogy

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
o51yvZs.jpg

Devil in a Blue Dress (1995)

A competent detective-themed noir from an atypical perspective for the genre. The plot isn't terribly interesting but apt for a noir like this.

Don Cheadle appearing in the third act, playing a very early Don Cheadle type role, was a welcome surprise. Denzel is Denzel, no complaints. It's visual evidence that Jennifer Beals has been aging at about half the rate as the rest of for the past two decades.

xrnzaaas

pdoB7sE.jpg

Troll was a very enjoyable Norwegian monster flick. Very good CGI, likeable characters (plus unlikeable govt officials - that's on purpose), didn't have any boring moments. I probably enjoyed it even more than Troll Hunter from 2010, because in this one you get the monster reveal early on and not everything is happening at night.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Troll was a very enjoyable Norwegian monster flick. Very good CGI, likeable characters (plus unlikeable govt officials - that's on purpose), didn't have any boring moments. I probably enjoyed it even more than Troll Hunter 2010, because in this one you get the monster reveal early on and not everything is happening at night.
I really enjoyed Troll Hunter, I'll have to check this one out.

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
slUSP3c.jpg

Nope (2022)

This was actually a rewatch, as the first time I saw this I was interrupted with work stuff and missed large portions of it, including part of the ending.

A novel take on the UFO / alien horror genre. I enjoyed the clever exploration of themes like exploitation. Steven Yeun's character in particular, his past and sad present and the damage done to his core, was a cutting allegory to the fate of many childhood stars. There was lots of other subtext that was poignant.

There are some absolutely horrifying sequences that place humans in the kinds of situations a krill finds itself in while being devoured by a humpback whale.

I can see why Keke Palmer was offered several films immediately following this performance.

A solid 4/5

Last edited:

Aggelos

Troll was a very enjoyable Norwegian monster flick. Very good CGI, likeable characters (plus unlikeable govt officials - that's on purpose), didn't have any boring moments. I probably enjoyed it even more than Troll Hunter from 2010, because in this one you get the monster reveal early on and not everything is happening at night.

Same here, watched this film. By director Roar Uthaug (The Wave 2015, Tomb Raider 2018).

"Troll was released by Netflix on 1 December 2022 to generally positive reviews from critics, with praise for the performances, score, cinematography, direction, action sequences, and emotional weight."

tVfKHs2.jpg

xrnzaaas

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Tar - best movie I've seen of 2022 so far. Cate Blanchett absolutely crushed it. Maybe her best performance of her career and she's had a decorated one. Thought it was an interesting exploration of a variety of themes.
I went into this movie completely blind and during the first half I was wondering WTF am I watching?? I don't understand any of the things they are talking about! By the end however I was completely mesmerized and loved it. Such a good looking movie too. Lot to talk about there

Last edited:

GeekyDad

I went into this movie completely blind and during the first half I was wondering WTF am I watching?? I don't understand any of the things they are talking about! By the end however I was completely mesmerized and loved it. Such a good looking movie too. Lot to talk about there
Looks...painful.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Tar explores some aspects of cancel culture, abuse of power in the workplace, a little MeToo thrown in there as well. Things like how much punishment for wrongdoing is too much? What it does to one's psyche to both be a victim of something and the accused of something. And I agree that it was an amazing looking movie, it was beautifully shot. And I love movies that explore the arts in a dramatic way. Something about the setting of an orchestra in theater has always resonated with me in movie settings.

I don't think Tar is going to be for everyone. People who need to be on the edge of their seat or need pulse pounding action or drama probably won't like it. It's a slower burn. But if you like great acting, good drama, with movies that make you think about cause, effect, and ramifications of one's actions with some psychological stuff thrown in there, I think you'll really like it.

kruis

Exposing the sinister cartel of retailers who allow companies to pay for advertising space.
Was surprisingly good.

images

I just finished watching this. The only good thing about it was Brad Pitt, the rest of the movie was an unfunny rehash of Romacing the Stone. And I hope I'll never ever see Da'Vine Joy Randolph again in a movie, so much fat and blubber makes me sick.

Valonquar

bodies-1.png

Stupid rich kids freak out and kill each other: The movie. Lee Pace's character was pretty funny.

gone-in-the-night.jpg

The trailer gives the entire movie plot away: Decent start could have gone a ton better with a better ending. It's really hard to separate Winona from her Stranger Things character now though.

81Insz9s5PL.jpg

The most Guy Ritchie movie that Guy Ritchie didn't make. Enjoyable action comedy with some decent fight choreography.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom