• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_2.0 |OT| We Would Care, Bill - Wednesdays on USA

neshcom

Banned
Yeah super odd that Leon just wanders off the screen afterwards too, leaving Elliot and Craig to talk. Definitely could be some red herrings they threw in to mess with us, but leaning towards him being a construct of Elliots mind.

Interesting. Maybe that means
Elliot has been watching Seinfeld (maybe as some sort of group activity) and "Leon" is his mind preoccupying itself with TV to keep the routine. Would explain why dude is always around

I'm also hoping that's an obvious twist to distract us from something bigger.

Real damn shame about
Gideon. I really believe Elliot in S1 that he was an innocent. He actually felt remorse and guilt. :(

What's the spoiler policy after airing?

I'll despoilify this if the policy is we can discuss spoilers after airing, but:

- Hot damn, Angela turned cold. Christ, her brushing off of the lawyer and just annihilating all the people who thought of her as a bitch was something else. It's good to see that Sam is setting the stage for a whole lot of inner conflict this year. Angela's going to turn full on Price this season, and it is going to be amazing to watch.
- TYRELL LIVES. Hallelujah, best character is going to return in style. I wonder what the hell Tyrell has been doing since the hack. 33 days away with the ability to freely call people implies that Tyrell has been working on something big, possibly global financial meltdown big?
- The directorial style of Esmail is too fucking good. That cut between Elliot nodding off and him waking up with the phone in a random apartment was amazing, the shot through the fish tank was amazing, the gorgeous gray and steel of New York was amazing.
- GIDEON NOOOOOO :( He was the only guy I was rooting for to survive but their ain't no rest for the good. The man lost his company, his husband, his reputation, and now his life to what Elliot did. I wonder if Brock is going to continue on, and what his deal is regarding the hack. Curious to see what they're going to do with him.

Who the hell is Brock?

Prurient

Banned
Interesting. Maybe that means
Elliot has been watching Seinfeld (maybe as some sort of group activity) and "Leon" is his mind preoccupying itself with TV to keep the routine. Would explain why dude is always around

I'm also hoping that's an obvious twist to distract us from something bigger.

Real damn shame about
Gideon. I really believe Elliot in S1 that he was an innocent. He actually felt remorse and guilt. :(

I don't actually think Leon is a figment of his imagination, but simply another inmate in some sort of institution. The surroundings are the construct that he's placed him in, and his self-imposed routine is actually the routine of institute life.

Tamanon

Banned
Man, loved the premiere.

Didn't help me wash away the Tyrell is secretly another part of Elliot theory though, no matter how tough the timeline would be!

I mean, Tyrell "disappearing" right after he bought into Elliot's crusade, and Mr. Robot had some odd phrases when describing why he couldn't bring him out.

Ross61

Another thing to support the Leon is a Elliot theory:
When Elliot talked out loud to Mr Robot, Leon said nothing. Normally when Elliot talks to himself people ask if he's alright or are creeped out.

kevin1025

Banned
I don't actually think Leon is a figment of his imagination, but simply another inmate in some sort of institution. The surroundings are the construct that he's placed him in, and his self-imposed routine is actually the routine of institute life.

The institution twist could be really cool, but it might alienate some viewers to the point of not trusting anything on the show, then. We're closing in on that already with our Leon discussions, haha. But if it's pulled off well (which I have no doubt it would be), then it could work out awesome.

The institution twist could be really cool, but it might alienate some viewers to the point of not trusting anything on the show, then. We're closing in on that already with our Leon discussions, haha. But if it's pulled off well (which I have no doubt it would be), then it could work out awesome.

I think thats intentional though, and one of the show's strengths. The show cuts to several different characters & their perspectives, and when we're there, we sorta trust everything we're seeing. This season (so far), Esmail has made it a point to continue the unreliable narrator, has turned said unreliable narrator unfriendly towards the audience (remember, Elliot refused to tell us what he told Kristin because he felt his friend (the audience) weren't trustworthy anymore). The idea that one of the perspectives the show presents us can't really be trusted by the audience, and now the audience knows & understands that fact, is wholly unique and fascinating.

I do want Leon to end up being real though, only so that we can get more Seinfield discussions from him.

Mr.Sword

So the theory this season is Elliot in prison but hallucinating otherwise?

It seems weird but actually plausible, same routine everyday, nothing to do but watch the basketball game, eating food in the same *restaurant* every single meal, going to the church group everyday, the weird phone to make the call at the end, the Gideon scene with him felt also off, he was too hostile.

Regarding spoilers:
Typical TV thread rules apply:

1) Once something has aired on USA (e.g. last night's episodes), it's fair game. Speculation based on what's aired is fine.
2) Please spoiler tag any preview/trailers discussion as well as information that's coming out from interviews and the like about future episodes.

Thanks and enjoy the new season.

Rami Malek and the show itself Mr. Robot just got nominated for an Emmy. Well deserved.
Still no list of supporting categories yet, so there's still a possibility for Christian Slater too.

edit: nope, nevermind. Found the list. Although I think just in 2 episodes I already like his performance this year more than last now that he's been unleashed to full Slater.

Matush

Cant believe they snubbed Slater, wow, all Mr. Robots Emmy nominations:

Outstanding Drama Series
Outstanding Casting for a Drama Series
Outstanding Lead Actor in a Drama Series - Rami Malek
Outstanding Music Composition for a Drama Series - for eps1.0_hellofriend.mov episode
Outstanding Sound Mixing for a Comedy or Drama Series - for eps1.5_br4ve-trave1er.asf episode
Outstanding Writing for a Drama Series - for eps1.0_hellofriend.mov episode

Zekes!

So excited for the rest of this season. One thing that continues to bug me though is that Eliott's counsellor is bad at her job. I mean that's a problem with TV shows in general, but everything else is so well done that it sticks out to me.

Klocker

That was amazing, this show... I hope I enjoy the larger scope the show seems to be taking on in this season as much as I liked Elliot's personal, smaller, hacking, revealing journey last season.

kevin1025

Banned
I think thats intentional though, and one of the show's strengths. The show cuts to several different characters & their perspectives, and when we're there, we sorta trust everything we're seeing. This season (so far), Esmail has made it a point to continue the unreliable narrator, has turned said unreliable narrator unfriendly towards the audience (remember, Elliot refused to tell us what he told Kristin because he felt his friend (the audience) weren't trustworthy anymore). The idea that one of the perspectives the show presents us can't really be trusted by the audience, and now the audience knows & understands that fact, is wholly unique and fascinating.

I do want Leon to end up being real though, only so that we can get more Seinfield discussions from him.

Those are good points. I'm on board for whatever happens!

Chris R

So the theory this season is Elliot in prison but hallucinating otherwise?

It seems weird but actually plausible, same routine everyday, nothing to do but watch the basketball game, eating food in the same *restaurant* every single meal, going to the church group everyday, the weird phone to make the call at the end, the Gideon scene with him felt also off, he was too hostile.

This is what I'm thinking, not a prison though, some sort of psych ward. With Craig Robinson working as a security guard/cop.

neshcom

Banned
I think it's very interesting that, since Elliot is so far from the fsociety action, we've gone back to all the other characters saying E Corp. I don't remember if Elliot of Gideon ever said it in the premiere, but that could be an indicator of something.

I think it's very interesting that, since Elliot is so far from the fsociety action, we've gone back to all the other characters saying E Corp. I don't remember if Elliot of Gideon ever said it in the premiere, but that could be an indicator of something.
They said it was going to turn into more of an ensemble show this year, so maybe that includes not filtering everything through Elliot's view of the world.

redhood56

Banned
God damn that was great. The cinematography is still so good. And all the theories are awesome, I can't wait to see how this season plays out

tmdorsey

Great premier and so glad the show is back.

Like the Leon is another part of Elliot theory.

Don't like the like the theory of him being locked up and imagining all these interactions. Will have to wait to see how it all pans out.

Side note: Did anybody catch the name of Angela's coworker she told to "get the fuck out?" I want to look up the actress for ummm reasons. ;)

aku:jiki

Proof that Elliot has completely lost it...but at the same time he's not wrong.

g59MwHJ.png

Zoe

Proof that Elliot has completely lost it...but at the same time he's not wrong.

g59MwHJ.png

Huh, his writing is straight there.

A lot of his writing was severely slanted to the left despite being right-handed. I wasn't sure if that was deliberate or not. Writing like that is supposed to have some personality markers.

Ruruja

I've missed this cinematography. Drink it in guys.

It's a slow start to the season, but interesting to see where the story goes.

Looking forward to the return of Tyrell. It looks like Leon is clearly imaginary but that might be a throw off.

Nope. Numbers are in, though. They're down from last season, which is disappointing, but USA is likely more interested in the L+3 / L+7 numbers that include people that timeshifted the premiere.

Aww. Mr. Robot was the first show in literal years that I cared enough to watch live. I was hoping there'd be more viewers considering the immense acclaim. Aren't season premieres and finales usually the highest rated of a show's season?

Episode 1 was really meh, but episode 2 definitely stepped it up by making it much more character focused. I still think Elliot is a bad anchor for the show, emotionally.

kevin1025

Banned
1 million viewers for the premiere. That's no fun. Hopefully the +3 and +7 numbers help, or it at least stays a critical darling mainstay sort of situation.

But what was she doing? People in the thread were surprised at what she was doing a couple posts back. I didn't understand her plot in this episode

In season 1, she was the stereotypical childhood friend character: she was naive, out for justice, kind of like Karen in Daredevil S2. Now, she's become this really cold, ruthless, and self-focused badass, who does things for herself.

Purpose-wise? She's introduced to set another inner conflict: namely her desire for justice vs. her desire for success and acknowledgement. So while Elliot's inner conflict is the star of the show (literally, in this case), what'll go on with Angela will likely dovetail or clash with what fsociety wants to do; bring down E-Corp. The weary storyteller in me says Angela's going to do one act that'll take her over the line, she'll snap back to her senses, and she'll partner up with fsociety to bring E-Corp down. However, I think Sam's going to do the opposite of that and make Angela go full on dark and have her become a company woman.

Gray Matter

So I accidentally subscribed myself to Amazon prime (and subsequently prime video) and decided to check this (Mr. Robot) out since I've only heard good things about it. Right now
elliot is confronting Ron at his coffee shop
I didn't even let the scence finish and Rami Malek's acting won me over already.

Without spoiling, can anyone tell me how is the show tone wise?

So I accidentally subscribed myself to Amazon prime (and subsequently prime video) and decided to check this (Mr. Robot) out since I've only heard good things about it. Right now
elliot is confronting Ron at his coffee shop
I didn't even let the scence finish and Rami Malek's acting won me over already.

Without spoiling, can anyone tell me how is the show tone wise?

Feels like you're watching a David Fincher movie.

Top Bottom