• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Robot season_3.0 |OT| Alexa, What Are the Berenstein Bears? - Wednesdays on USA

Vic_Viper

Can't believe they killed off the wife lol. She was one of my favorites and I definitely didn't see it coming.

Sam Esmail had a really cool interview on The Watch podcast the other day btw.

D

Deleted member 286591

Unconfirmed Member
This fucking show... I mean, it is SO good, so masterfully directed it puts to shame 99% of other shows imo.

Almost every episode is a masterpiece. Fuck.

Man the bodyguard of tyrells wife was dumb af. He didn’t have to stop the car in an alley and punk the dude, not with the wife and kid in the car. And damn that shot of the baby with blood on his head, damn......

Great episode overall. Loved the scene between mr Robot and the therapist. Prettt damn intense.

Watched the first episode and thought this was the most straight to the point stuff I've seen in the show. Maybe this seasons is actually good then.

Need to rewatch the hospital scene and see if he admits it...

I remember hearing him say "I'm sorry" and the mother yelling "what did you do, you son of a bitch"

So it seems pretty damning that it's Edward Alderson who threw him.

There's being reckless and there's being dumb. Mr Robot can't risk the FBI ruining the operation.

Mr. Robot is generally reckless, one such instance being his phone call with Tyrell to force Elliot to calm down resulted in the FBI recording it (and thus getting the idea that they're in cahoots even though it's technically Elliot who created the point of failure and had the right malware from Darlene to execute it). Even if Mr. Robot gets caught, it seems like whiterose and the Dark Army can execute Stage 2 anyway given her lackey seems to be enough to get the job done. Which I think is going to happen given whiterose's increased motivation to spite Price, and that they have enough manpower + Mr. Robot to try and undo what Elliot did in protecting ECorp.

_Ryo_

I like this episode a lot but I find it very questionable that anyone that truly cares about security would be using Linux Mint.

I like this episode a lot but I find it very questionable that anyone that truly cares about security would be using Linux Mint.

That's the point, it wasn't Elliot who used Linux Mint because he went back to Kali Linux, but knowing that it was insecure and that Darlene was likely informing on him, Mr. Robot used that to his advantage and sent malware to bait the FBI. He probably trashed out his computer too knowing that it was compromised.

Not gonna lie, you would think the FBI could think of something more seamless like finding malware that tracks Elliot's move instead of forcing a completely new OS on him. It's too on the nose for a hacker like him.

_Ryo_

That's the point, it wasn't Elliot who used Linux Mint because he went back to Kali Linux, but knowing that it was insecure and that Darlene was likely informing on him, Mr. Robot used that to his advantage and sent malware to bait the FBI. He probably trashed out his computer too knowing that it was compromised.

Not gonna lie, you would think the FBI could think of something more seamless like finding malware that tracks Elliot's move instead of forcing a completely new OS on him. It's too on the nose for a hacker like him.

My point is why have Linux Mint installed in the first place? I don't think Darlene installed Mint on his HDD as it was already setup with widgets and everything, as well as had a LINUX MINT background. Surely Mr. Robot/Elliot would notice right away if anything was clearly different and would call Darlene out on it if she installed Mint. Like, it's really obvious so asking "What were you doing behind my computer" does not cut it as a question. They'd ask "Why did you install Linux Mint on my computer?"

Maybe I'm wrong but imo it doesn't seem like Darlene installed that OS, also I doubt she's dumb enough to install something so clearly transparent.

He went back to Kali Linux because he suspected his computer was tampered with. He'd know if he had Mint installed or not, so yeah.

My point is why have Linux Mint installed in the first place? I don't think Darlene installed Mint on his HDD as it was already setup with widgets and everything, as well as had a LINUX MINT background. Surely Mr. Robot/Elliot would notice right away if anything was clearly different and would call Darlene out on it if she installed Mint. Like, it's really obvious so asking "What were you doing behind my computer" does not cut it as a question. They'd ask "Why did you install Linux Mint on my computer?"

Maybe I'm wrong but imo it doesn't seem like Darlene installed that OS, also I doubt she's dumb enough to install something so clearly transparent.

He went back to Kali Linux because he suspected his computer was tampered with. He'd know if he had Mint installed or not, so yeah.

But he did notice, that's why he was staring down that background for a long time before using the newly installed OS as bait. As for the question, the idea is the same regardless of what question was asked, because the point is Mr. Robot wanted to know what Darlene was doing to his computer. It seems needlessly pedantic to want to ask about OS, when asking about the computer accomplishes the same result.

Also if it wasn't Darlene then why did Mr. Robot catch her behind the monitor? Elliot is a creature of habit and wouldn't go to an inferior OS that he clearly didn't recognize. So Occam's Razor comes into play: he saw Darlene doing what she did and that raised alarm bells, so it's reasonable to infer that she did something to his computer. Even if it's transparent, you have to realize she's doing this as a lackey of the FBI for immunity (which is why I question their choice of OS when they could have used other less obvious malware).

What version of Linux is E Corp using.

Another outstanding episode, goddamm.

I wonder if Joanna will appear again in flashbacks? I'm gonna miss that character quite a bit, she was awesome.

This show gives no fucks about killing off main characters.

Dr.Acula

Banned
But he did notice, that's why he was staring down that background for a long time before using the newly installed OS as bait. As for the question, the idea is the same regardless of what question was asked, because the point is Mr. Robot wanted to know what Darlene was doing to his computer. It seems needlessly pedantic to want to ask about OS, when asking about the computer accomplishes the same result.

Also if it wasn't Darlene then why did Mr. Robot catch her behind the monitor? Elliot is a creature of habit and wouldn't go to an inferior OS that he clearly didn't recognize. So Occam's Razor comes into play: he saw Darlene doing what she did and that raised alarm bells, so it's reasonable to infer that she did something to his computer. Even if it's transparent, you have to realize she's doing this as a lackey of the FBI for immunity (which is why I question their choice of OS when they could have used other less obvious malware).

You're going waaay too deep here.

Elliot was on his Mint distro, thought about it, then decided to do some hacker shit so he booted a Kali portable. He probably runs Mint for his benign activities in case he's raided.

You're going waaay too deep here.

Elliot was on his Mint distro, thought about it, then decided to do some hacker shit so he booted a Kali portable. He probably runs Mint for his benign activities in case he's raided.

That doesn't make any sense, he stared at the background knowing that something was off when we've always seen him use Kali Linux (at least in S2 where we clearly see Kali Linux in the background whenever he's on). There's no reason to expect that he runs a gimped OS with security issues given his paranoia, and his habit with Kali Linux. I would go as far as to say he's never used a Mint distro.

Dr.Acula

Banned
That doesn't make any sense, he stared at the background knowing that something was off when we've always seen him use Kali Linux (at least in S2 where we clearly see Kali Linux in the background whenever he's on). There's no reason to expect that he runs a gimped OS with security issues given his paranoia, and his habit with Kali Linux. I would go as far as to say he's never used a Mint distro.

Kali is a gimped os with security issues, it's for penetration testing, not for daily use.

Tamanon

Banned
Music was soooooo good about growing the tension. Was on point and had me on the edge of my seat.

Funny bit from my wife who has been watching the entire series with me:

"So, does he have a split personality?"

I think she might not have paid as much attention as I thought.

Farooq

Banned
What are the reasons Elliot wouldn't know who he hacked after the the FBI agent downloaded his malware? He was supposedly in the FBI's computers right?

Zoe

All of this is material for this season's ARG. It was found last week through a URL seen in the premiere.

I was super impressed with their production team that they've set all of this two years in advance. Makes me wonder how much preparation they're doing for future seasons.
They probably had Reddit backdate everything. There are other subs as well though I don't have the links handy. One of them is about supernatural/parallel universe stuff.

sans_pants

avec_pénis
This fucking show... I mean, it is SO good, so masterfully directed it puts to shame 99% of other shows imo.

Almost every episode is a masterpiece. Fuck.

Outside of the opening montage, every single scene is meh wide, medium closeup reverse as two people talk, some long takes where the camera doesn't move, and a bunch of exposition that literally explains everything like you are an idiot

I actually think these first two episodes are a troll and the switch is gonna flip at some point, but I'm also an optimist

They also seemed to have given up on the negative space, which was like a defining aspect of the look of the show

HariKari

Watching the episode again... something is off about Krista's new office. It's lit ominously and there's a constantly ticking clock, plus a prominent use of red. A lot different from her old one that's for sure.

We've seen Elliot use a regular Linux distro in his PC more than once.

DarkestHour

Banned
Outside of the opening montage, every single scene is meh wide, medium closeup reverse as two people talk, some long takes where the camera doesn't move, and a bunch of exposition that literally explains everything like you are an idiot

I actually think these first two episodes are a troll and the switch is gonna flip at some point, but I'm also an optimist

They also seemed to have given up on the negative space, which was like a defining aspect of the look of the show

Noticed that too. Gimme back the negative space :(

DarkestHour said:
Noticed that too. Gimme back the negative space :(

uhhhh...

7XWbiLd.png

BvNOKiB.png

S2BtOqs.png

lrRE7aB.png

hDau4Wf.jpg

You guys know what negative space is, right?

NOOOOOO! NOT MY BELOVED MONSTER JOANNA! 😱😱😱😭😭😭😭

The death flag shot up though with that public access quality TV show thing, should've known bartender bitch really was that unstable. Still for a moment I thought maybe she'd survive... Then the scene switched to her skull getting sawed open. I'm really disappointed with that death even though she didn't have a ton to really do anymore.

The scene with Krista got intense and yeah I'm going to wager Darlene knew what she was doing wouldn't work. I enjoyed the E-Corp routing involving a bunch of management getting busted.

Tamanon

Banned
I don't think this episode called for the same camera style. If anything, this episode wasn't about isolation like normal. It was more focused on connections and yearning for connections.

I was really into the first two seasons, but after these two episodes I don't know if I'm feeling it anymore. Maybe I'm just not in the right mood, but I feel like there's a huge difference in the show at the moment. The stakes seem low and there's actually not a lot happening. The random death of a main character seems weird too. Still going to be watching but I dunno about this season so far.

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
I'm actually liking it so far, because I really disliked half of the second season where virtually nothing was going on. 💁

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status

Look at the discussion you too are having. The fact that you're talking about MINT and Kali, the fact that this show has elevated the bar for hacking on TV to this level, let's appreciate we have this.

Season 1 was way way way more fucking extreme with the negative space and crazy shots. Season 2 toned it down a little, and Season 3 has toned it down even more from that so far.

In general I don't see the show reaching the highs of Season 1 ever again. There was something mesmerizing and magical about it then, especially all of the Tyrell going insane in his office stuff.

Siegcram

B. D. Wong is so fucking good in this.

And this show's FBI might be only second to the one in The Following in terms of incompetence.

Vectorman

Banned
B. D. Wong is so fucking good in this.

And this show's FBI might be only second to the one in The Following in terms of incompetence.

Idk. They at least have the board and the phone call of Elliot and Tyrell. I'm of the mindset that Dom's boss is
totally on Dark Army's payroll. Dude is way too obvious about it.

Top Bottom