• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mr. Shifty |OT| Shift Happens

chronomac

Patch is out (in some regions) and there's a new logo:

DBz4ovoWABoJtWO.jpg

Only took 56 days.

atmuh

ive seen reports that slowdowns are gone but load times are twice as long. havent tried for myself though i dont have the game

TheMoon

lexNichiporchikCEO of tinyBuild Games [score hidden] 9 minutes ago

There's a small chance of random crashes due to the Unity plugin which we're unable to fix at this point. There's simply no way to debug that. What we did fix is consistent crashes when there's not enough memory. A way to prevent crashes is to simply reboot the Switch -- that clears the memory (this worked pre-patch too).

Regarding the loading times -- we had to restructure the game to compress a ton of assets and essentially unarchive them when the levels load. This helped reduce the size, but made the loading times longer. This is why it took so long to get the patch out, we were playing ping pong with Nintendo -- trying lots of different things to reduce the size of the patch.

The good news is that we know all of this going into future projects, and have given plenty of feedback to both the platform and the tool maker. It really sucks that a simple patch took us this long, and trust me - we weren't sitting around doing nothing. An insane amount of work went into making the patch size small.

So I am curious how fans like the game now, especially in comparison with the original release.

https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6g22k0/update_for_mr_shifty_is_now_live/dinbx32/

another comment: https://www.reddit.com/r/NintendoSwitch/comments/6g22k0/update_for_mr_shifty_is_now_live/dimvsil/

GDGF

Soothsayer
ive seen reports that slowdowns are gone but load times are twice as long. havent tried for myself though i dont have the game

Well that's one hell of a trade lol.

I'm going to pick this up because I said I would if they fixed the SD. Hope the new load times aren't too long!

GDGF

Soothsayer
I would wait a bit longer just to see more impressions

Well, waiting until Saturday because I'm not near a store with eshop cards until then. Assuming someone will pop in with detailed impressions of the patch by then. Fingers crossed!

NateDrake

Well that's one hell of a trade lol.

I'm going to pick this up because I said I would if they fixed the SD. Hope the new load times aren't too long!

I was going to make a comparison video of pre-patch and post-patch but haven't had time yet today. If I get time tonight I'll give it a shot.

BSpot

"So I am curious how fans like the game now, especially in comparison with the original release."

Not to sound like a dick, but this has to be the least confident send off I've ever seen on a fix-it patch.

"I'm curious to know if we made it worse or we made it better. Let us know!"

I will try it later and give impressions.

Played the last level as it was where I stopped the last time. Performance is much improved, didn't noticed any slowdown when the screen was crowded with enemies and explosions.
Initial load took 36 seconds, didn't count the rest but between screens it must have took 10 seconds max and 3 to 4 seconds between replays.
A bit longer than before but the improve in performance is worth it.

mauaus

Played the last level as it was where I stopped the last time. Performance is much improved, didn't noticed any slowdown when the screen was crowded with enemies and explosions.
Initial load took 36 seconds, didn't count the rest but between screens it must have took 10 seconds max and 3 to 4 seconds between replays.
A bit longer than before but the improve in performance is worth it.

nice! might give this another go

Rlan

As far as I've heard in general, while we're quite used to extremely fast turnaround for patches for games on PC, mobile and the like, Nintendo's still take a while to sort out and get through. I wouldn't blame Tiny Build or Team Shifty too much on this.

As far as I've heard in general, while we're quite used to extremely fast turnaround for patches for games on PC, mobile and the like, Nintendo's still take a while to sort out and get through. I wouldn't blame Tiny Build or Team Shifty too much on this.

Considering the reason it took so long is the patch being too big due to the way they made the game, and the loading times are now worse and they admit the game still crashes so you should restart your Switch......... and several other Switch games I own have been patched several times during this nearly 2 month wait (bomberman, shovel knight, minecraft, blaster master)....... AND the fact that these people have a shady history of screwing over their customers detailed in this very thread......yeah, I'm blaming them, not Nintendo.

Billfisto

Considering the reason it took so long is the patch being too big due to the way they made the game, and the loading times are now worse and they admit the game still crashes so you should restart your Switch......... and several other Switch games I own have been patched several times during this nearly 2 month wait (bomberman, shovel knight, minecraft, blaster master)....... AND the fact that these people have a shady history of screwing over their customers detailed in this very thread......yeah, I'm blaming them, not Nintendo.

Yeah, in the Reddit post they pretty much admitted they rushed it to launch on Switch just because their research indicated that games launched on multiple platforms all at once do better.

They fumbled this themselves, then did a fairly bad job of recovering it.

Cuburt

Disappointed that the crashing wasn't completely resolved since that is the reason I stopped playing the game.

Really want to give it another go though because it was fun, just having the game crash and losing an hour of progress for a floor in the later levels really will turn me off a game.

zigg

Disappointed that the crashing wasn't completely resolved since that is the reason I stopped playing the game.

Really want to give it another go though because it was fun, just having the game crash and losing an hour of progress for a floor in the later levels really will turn me off a game.
Wait, it's still crashy?

I was considering getting it but maybe not

watershed

Banned
this game after the update wow.

framerate became 60fps !!!!!

really changed alot.

Unless you are certain, you shouldn't spread false claims like this. No one has mentioned 60fps and it looks like the patch improved the steadiness of 30fps with fewer slowdowns but no 60fps bump.

Top Bottom