• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Blogger Breakfast Bullets: XNA, BD possibilities, Live Adoption..

pr0cs

I just hope they put some effort into the DRM situation. It is my biggest beef right now and the main reason why I haven't bought ANY online content in a LONG time. I was a big supporter of XBLM but until they fix my issues with DRM and hopefully make DRM more customer friendly I don't see myself buying anything.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Must say, as someone who hopes to put a lot of stuff up on this service (for free hopefully), I'm a bit worried that peer review will only cover the content of the game and not the quality of the submissions.

I dont want a system where only only games that get a 7 or above go live or anything like that (god knows if my games would pass that test) but they should be filtering out incomplete and broken titles, the last thing I want is for the gamers to be scared off any distribution system because 1/4 games they download just don't work.

Even stuff like tech demos I'd be a little worried about because most of the interest in things like that will be from developers who dont need to see it on a public distribution system to find it.

Peer review should be an invaluable test bed for hobbyists especially because there are more permutations of hardware setups than you'd think, and it's easy to overlook them, hopefully each submission will have a kind of Bugzilla/JIRA page attached to it.

goldenpp72

meh, on youtube you get errored or stupid videos that get 0 ratings and die, I think community reviews work well enough in this kind of situation. especially when it's console centric and a bunch of anti console fantards can't go in and skew things.

Hunahan

Banned
Agent Icebeezy said:
I get my fucking points back? Good show

They've been doing this for over a year now, guys. I got a refund on all of my points waaaay back when my launch unit broke, no hassles.

You just needed to ask.

If you didn't even ask, well......

Luckyman

Banned
PistolGrip said:
Well the $50Million has to give them something. You can arguably fund 3-5 blockbuster games with that amount of money.

lol, MS is obviously over marketing it. Rockstar is just going to make episodes the size of San Andreas in couple of months..

FFChris

harSon said:
I'm really impressed with XNA. I guess I'll stop toying around with it and actually try and make a game :)

Yup, it's pretty cool. Best of all, I get free Creators Club access, as I'm a Uni student.

MS isn't releasing a BD add on. Not now. Not ever. The next system will probably feature it, but MS is done with HDM. If they're not making money off of HDi, they don't give a fuck.

Vaxadrin

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Why does everyone compare XNA to youtube when its the Xbox 360 version of Newgrounds?

Think of the immediate impression you would get if something is compared to either of those sites. I would think MS would rather people think it's like youtube.

squatingyeti said:
Read the link. They're working on the DRM issue now.
they've been "working on" DRM since launch.

kind of like sony has been "working on" in-game xmb.

i don't really like to give credit for "working on" until it's done.

no matter the platform holder.

Hunahan said:
They've been doing this for over a year now, guys. I got a refund on all of my points waaaay back when my launch unit broke, no hassles.

You just needed to ask.

If you didn't even ask, well......

People were saying that they officially stopped doing this because of abuse. Isn't it also moot if you already recovered your Gamer Tag from Live?

Kulock said:
People were saying that they officially stopped doing this because of abuse. Isn't it also moot if you already recovered your Gamer Tag from Live?
depends on how many gamertags on your console play the game and how often you play the console offline?

UT3 Mods And DIY Hard Drive Upgrades(Sony allows this why not MS)

* Microsoft believes in a safe and secure environment and it’s why they have so much on lock down.
* UT3 issue is still being worked on
* Microsoft cares more about security than their competitors and for good reason
wait.

what?

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
The Faceless Master said:
they've been "working on" DRM since launch.

kind of like sony has been "working on" in-game xmb.

i don't really like to give credit for "working on" until it's done.

no matter the platform holder.

You don't think giving you the points to DL the games again is an effective temporary solution?

goldenpp72

I think microsoft doesn't want someone downloading 'omg uber mod' for ut3 360 just to find out its filled with penis.

Ptaaty

I just wish there was an easy way to have an XBLA game on more than one of my consoles.

It is tied to the gamer tag, so I CAN just move my memory card from one to the other...but what I want is for me to be able to have my gamertag active playing whatever game...but allow the second console to have access to my XBLA game.

Seems like there should be a way, both connected to the internet, etc.

Instead, I resorted to buying to Zumas...one for the console I use most on my tag, and one on my gf's live silver tag.

Kinda a waste....

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
The Faceless Master said:
wait.

what?

I think it's coming off wrong. MS cares more about security than they care about their competitors allowing things. I believe that's the way it's meant. The way it sounds is MS cares more about security, their competitors, not as much.

joaomgcd

Ptaaty said:
I just wish there was an easy way to have an XBLA game on more than one of my consoles.

It is tied to the gamer tag, so I CAN just move my memory card from one to the other...but what I want is for me to be able to have my gamertag active playing whatever game...but allow the second console to have access to my XBLA game.

Seems like there should be a way, both connected to the internet, etc.

Instead, I resorted to buying to Zumas...one for the console I use most on my tag, and one on my gf's live silver tag.

Kinda a waste....

You could buy the game on one machine and play online with your gamertag on the other. The 360 you bought it on would still be able to play it on and offline.

sneaky77

I think the XNA thing is going to work, as in people with a membership to the creators club basically other developers mostly, will vote on the quality of the games, and then the best rated games will make their way to xbla

squatingyeti said:
You don't think giving you the points to DL the games again is an effective temporary solution?
it's only effective as a bullet point in a PR piece. in practice, it doesn't happen in a timely fashion, therefore, all effectiveness is lost.

Doodis

I can understand why Microsoft isn't interested in making a BRD add-on (only 3% attach rate for HD DVD), but they're basically handing over sales to Sony. Here's why:

As a movie buff, I'm going to get a BRD player now that the format war is over. As a 360 fan, I'd love to stay connected to Live while using an add-on BRD drive that's cheaper than a stand-alone player. But if they don't release one, I've got two options - buy a stand-alone BRD player or a PS3.

Now, as a gamer, if I have to buy a stand-alone player, why would I not want to just buy a PS3? I'm not a fanboy, I realize that the PS3 has great features, but it was just too expensive to justify the cost. But now that it's dropping in price and BluRay is the victor, I have fewer reasons not to buy one.

Sorry, this is lengthy but one more point - doesn't Microsoft realize that the low 3% attach rate for the HD DVD drive was because people were holding off until the war was over? Now that BluRay is the winner, it's obvious they would have a much higher attach rate with a BRD add-on.

kbear

GTAIV DLC

* When MS says exclusive, they mean that no other system can have DLC content for GTAIV

* It will be bigger than a lot of people think. GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV
* No price has been discussed yet. It’s up to Rockstar on whether or not they will charge for it
* If successful, DLC may be the new way to deliver GTA expansions

Consider me officially hyped for the GTA4 exclusive content. I was thinking it would be a few missions or at the most, a small island on the side... I dunno. That sounds much, much bigger than anything I imagined. Only problem is I don't have a 360...might have to do something about that.

Hunahan

Banned
Kulock said:

Oh, ok. I didn't know that. I just mentioned it when I sent my 360 in and they gave me all the points back.

....aaaand then I went on a shopping spree and spent all of those awesome free points on totally different games and had a blast.

Oh...wait. I think I see the connection.

Um. Sorry about that, dudes. My bad.

Hunahan

Banned
Mojovonio said:
Why does everyone compare XNA to youtube when its the Xbox 360 version of Newgrounds?
Yeah, I was talking with a friend of mine while I tried out the GDC games and Newgrounds was totally the analogy I used as well.

Actually, I believe the exact quote was:

"It's kind of like the first time you discover NewGrounds. At first, you're totally fascinated because there are all these free games, and they're all so terrible, amateurish, and obscure that the experience of just surfing around in the cesspool is somewhat intoxicating.

Then, after about twenty minutes you realize that you could stop playing random garbage for the novelty value, and start using that same time to play something professional, polished, and interesting.

And then you do.

And after about a month, you never really think about NewGrounds again."

XNA is one of those ideas that sounds great on paper, but in reality is about as interesting as circling weeds with a cursor full of flowers.

Just sayin'.

Hunahan said:
It's kind of like the first time you discover NewGrounds. At first, you're totally fascinated because there are all these free games, and they're all so terrible, amateurish, and obscure that the experience of just surfing around in the cesspool is somewhat intoxicating.

One thing that can really help filtering good games from trash is user ratings for all XNA games.

squatingyeti

non-sanctioned troll
MirageDwarf said:
One thing that can really help filtering good games from trash is user ratings for all XNA games.

Yeah, the trash will certainly be there. However, the user ratings will allow the good games to really stand out.

chris0701

GTA3 Vice City and San Andreas were basically expansions of GTA3. Think of the DLC that way. We are talking major expansion for GTAIV

3200 MS Point confirmed?:lol

Anyway,great news for 360 users. Maybe a new island for hours of play.

Top Bottom