• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS doesn’t want you to have cool DLC for free: Gears,Epic, & gamers get screwed

snack said:
Wait, Gears only has 900 points? I didn't even realize.
Gears has 1000 but http://gamerscoreblog.com/team/archive/2007/02/01/540575.aspx

2. Game publishers will have the option to deliver another 250 incremental Gamerscore on top of the 1,000 via add-on content from Marketplace. This add-on content could be either free or paid. So if you complete a game and earn the full 1,000 GS, you could by getting new add-on content earn up to a total of 1,250 points from a game.

EDIT: just realized MS is the publisher so they decide apparently.

FlyinJ said:
Microsoft allows for some free content when they want it there? What does that have to do with anything?

Microsoft has stated that they don't dictate to publishers what they can and can't give away for free. This is false. They dictate exactly what publishers are allowed to put up for free, no matter what the publisher wants.

Ok. But didn't MICROSOFT PUBLISH GEARS???? Epic didn't publish the game, did they? They just developed it.

Therefore, based on what you just said, Microsoft is charging for it because they published it and can do so.

That's why other publishers have put out free stuff.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
StingerNLG said:
Ok. But didn't MICROSOFT PUBLISH GEARS???? Epic didn't publish the game, did they? They just developed it.

Therefore, based on what you just said, Microsoft is charging for it because they published it and can do so.

I'm done repeating the same thing for the fourth time in this thread. Read my previous posts before responding please.

FlyinJ said:
I'm done repeating the same thing for the fourth time in this thread. Read my previous posts before responding please.

I could care less what you said before. You went with the "I'm a third part company" without naming what company. Hell, I could do that.

The post that mattered to me is the one I responded too. Microsoft published the game, period. They charge for the DLC because they can. I know other publishers who don't have to, and haven't. I've downloaded their free content.

Sorry if you don't like it. I didn't say I liked it either. But that's just the way it is.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
StingerNLG said:
Apparently you were wrong the other three times then too. The post that mattered to me is the one I responded too. Microsoft published the game, period. They charge for the DLC because they can.

Sorry if you don't like it. I didn't say I liked it either. But that's just the way it is.

That would be a real zinger of a response if my posts had anything to do with Gears of War.

To the people who are saying "MS is the publisher so they can do whatever they can", it's not just Gears. Gears is being thrown in the discussion because Epic made that known to the gamers.

Point is, MS might not be allowing developers to put free content when MS doesn't want to. There was this news where Bizzare wanted to give Geometry Wars free. MS didn't allow it. Sure, it costs money for testing/certification etc. But MS can charge developers for that cost, and let them provide free contents.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MirageDwarf said:
To the people who are saying "MS is the publisher so they can do whatever they can", it's not just Gears. Gears is being thrown in the discussion because Epic made that known to the gamers.

Point is, MS might not be allowing developers to put free content when MS doesn't want to. There was this news where Bizzare wanted to give Geometry Wars free. MS didn't allow it. Sure, it costs money for testing/certification etc. But MS can charge developers for that cost, and let them provide free contents.

Microsoft did, however, publish PGR3. I'm not sure if they "published" Geometry Wars, however. It may have been done completely on the the studio's dime, or it may have been done inside PGR 3's budget. In the latter case, MS is justified in dictating that it couldn't be free. Is Bizarre a first party MS studio now? I'm not really sure. The third option is that Microsoft had a seperate budget specifically for Geometry Wars, which would make them the publisher.

However, if it was created on the company dime, outside of PGR3's budget, it is another example of MS forcing third parties to charge for content.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
StingerNLG said:

=

davepoobond said:
**** that they don't own shit. ms paid them to make the game. its not the other way around!

yeup.

arne

FlyinJ said:
Microsoft did, however, publish PGR3. I'm not sure if they "published" Geometry Wars, however. It may have been done completely on the the studio's dime, or it may have been done inside PGR 3's budget. In the latter case, MS is justified in dictating that it couldn't be free. Is Bizarre a first party MS studio now? I'm not really sure. The third option is that Microsoft had a seperate budget specifically for Geometry Wars, which would make them the publisher.

However, if it was created on the company dime, outside of PGR3's budget, it is another example of MS forcing third parties to charge for content.

I'm not touching anything else in this flame fest ready to go incindiary (or maybe it already has),

BUT... MS published GeoWars.

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
MirageDwarf said:
No. If ture, EA wouldn't be a publisher of Boom Boom Rocket.

Ahh right. Another possible explanation is that an employee at Bizarre made Geometry Wars on his own time. If he was part of the PGR3 team while doing this, his salary could be seen as being paid by Microsoft... making them the legal "publisher".

I'd like to know what the situation was.

EDIT: Ah, thanks Arne.

Andokuky said:
Who is shocked? It's freakin Microsoft people.

Was Microsoft behind me having to pay for a Blast Factor multiplayer patch?

Consoles are a closed platform and part of this mucking about with controlling publishers is what you get with a closed platform.

Remember last gen when SCEA drove SNK to the Xbox with their refusal to approve non-compilation 2D games? How about back to the days of the NES when Nintendo refused to approve third parties that also wanted to release for the Master System? Remember the lack of blood in Mortal Kombat (SNES)?

MS not wanting to approve free content is just one more example of closed platform restrictions.

It would be awesome if vocal sites like 1Up manage to shame Microsoft into changing this policy. But there's really nothing surprising about it.

And if anybody thinks that the hardware vendors didn't get to approve what got released as a $50 title versus a $20 title in the last generation...well, I think you'd be mistaken.

crazythan

If this is true all I can say is WOW BOHICA!

But it seems to me like MS is in a damned if u do damned if u don't situtation. If they allow Epic to release their content then the piss off EA, if not they piss of Epic. Honestly, I wouldn't want to piss of either, because they are big name devs.

I had one question for you guys because I don't have an Xbox. For users who buy the core xbox with no HD is it possible for them to download this content? If not the content would fragment the community whether they charge for it or not. Because some users would have access to the content while others would not.

Gotta love this thread. :lol

Microsoft doesn't want to give away a second batch of content for a game they published with something like 3 or 4 million people playing it? UNBELIEVABLE.

crazythan said:
For users who buy the core xbox with no HD is it possible for them to download this content? If not the content would fragment the community whether they charge for it or not. Because some users would have access to the content while others would not.

'Over half' of Live members are Gold status'. That still leaves millions of 360 owners that are either Silver (no online play) or just not on Live at all.

It is in that group where I think you'll find virtually all of the non-HDD Core owners. :lol

Confidence Man said:
Gotta love this thread. :lol

Microsoft doesn't want to give away a second batch of content for a game they published with something like 3 or 4 million people playing it? UNBELIEVABLE.

Discover Channel paid for it, it's not like MS wasn't compensated at all.

crazythan

beermonkey@tehbias said:
'Over half' of Live members are Gold status'. That still leaves millions of 360 owners that are either Silver (no online play) or just not on Live at all.

It is in that group where I think you'll find virtually all of the non-HDD Core owners.

Thanks yeah that makes sense. It will be interesting how these microtransactions play out in the future. If dev devs are reasonable with it I think it'll be a really good thing. If not it's going to suck.

dirtmonkey37

flinging feces ---->
Well, if the executives are indeed reading "the forums" then let us be heard.

Microsoft, this is completely asinine on your behalf. You have, from the start, mentioned how matters "are actually in the developers hands" regarding pricing -- everything. And now you're fighting against that. Don't vacillate as it's the worst thing one, who is also attempting the FUD business tactic, can do.

I understand that to protect other company's digitally distributed products, you need to keep a level playing field.

...Who the hell am I speaking to. The only person from MS that well truly take this into consideration is Arne, and even he may not do anything about it. Microsoft knows gamers will be pissed at them for denying free content -- they know categorically. Us moaning about it isn't going to change anything because even the most unintelligent conjecture could involve "gamers being angry" at the denial of free content. They know, and we know, and even after all of this, they're moving forward with their plans.

PipBoy

Banned
I doubt Epic really wanted to make it free. They just wanted their reputation intact so Microsoft told them to put the blame on them. No one will question Tim despite his well-know lying habit, it's M$ we are talking about after all ...

FlyinJ said:
You want to talk to him about forum etiquette when you didn't even acknowledge my post that was directed right at you?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
PipBoy said:
I doubt Epic really wanted to make it free. They just wanted their reputation intact so Microsoft told them to put the blame on them. No one will question Tim despite his well-know lying habit, it's M$ we are talking about after all ...
c48a872545cd40adb6eeab9dcdbc.jpg

You're a moron.

PipBoy said:

You've uh, never owned an Epic game before, have you?

I'll just c/p this off the official UT page:

Epic Games Announce the UT2004 Mega Pack!
Posted 12/10/05 13:20 PST by Jeff Morris

On Tuesday, Epic Games will be releasing Unreal Tournament 2004 Mega Pack! This new bonus pack includes five assault levels, two deathmatch levels, and two capture the flag levels. In addition, the Mega Pack contains all the ECE bonus pack content, as well as the latest (3369) patch - everything you need to make sure your UT2004 install has all the latest official content. Gamespot is the official host for the Mega Pack, so head over to http://www.gamespot.com/promos/2005/ut2004/index.html?tag=psbox_gsb_utmega for more details. Happy Holidays from everyone at Epic Games.

[retard]Sure, Epic didn't want to release the content for free. I mean, free content? For an Epic game? How unlikely! Let's all blame them. In no way could it be the fault of Microsoft! They're the good guys! They provide the Marketplace out of the goodness of their heart! I sure hope that Epic release this and future content at a Microsoft-adjusted cost so that I may receive less value for money in my future game purchases![/retard]

Altaïr

Banned
bishoptl said:
c48a872545cd40adb6eeab9dcdbc.jpg

You're a moron.
Sorry, I dont take any lesson from a nigger who abandonned his 6 months old baby.

If you really want to ban all my accounts and IP, you'll have to ban everyone living in France, including BlimBlim.

You've uh, never owned an Epic game before, have you?
yeah, Epic has a lot of 4+ million selling games on a closed network system and where SP is greatly more important than MP

Altaïr

Banned
obviously not since you can get banned by any GAF psycho mods for expressing your opinion without any trolling.

unomas

Banned
Altaïr said:
Sorry, I dont take any lesson from a nigger who abandonned his 6 months old baby.

If you really want to ban all my accounts and IP, you'll have to ban everyone living in France, including BlimBlim.

yeah, Epic has a lot of 4+ million selling games on a closed network system and where SP is greatly more important than MP

Oh boy...

well all i can say is thank God Sony isnt doing what MS is...

else the future would have been something like this:

- Gran Turismo HD: 1200 Points
- Gran Turismo v1.2 w/ Force Feedback: 1600 Points
- Resistance: Fall of Man - 2 New Match Types: 400 Points Each

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Nah, he isn't French. Not fooling anybody, are you
yes dude, I know who you are.

The funny thing is, he has to keep outing himself to continue getting his nigger on. Talk about painting yourself into a corner. :lol

Anyways, until our *ahem* Continental friend sticks his head up again, let's get this back on track, shall we?

Borys

Banned
bishoptl said:
Anyways, until our *ahem* Continental friend sticks his head up again, let's get this back on track, shall we?

Sure!

**** Microsoft and its whole ****ing Xbox division. Greedy ****s. I hope PS3 wins this gen just to see those MScrooges phail.

Ploid 3.0

shagg_187 said:

I was avoiding this thread due to the heavy MS hate but lol. Add the cars! Cars = Horse (armor) power.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
*backontrackedit*

Cant believe there's a 9 page thread on MS not giving away stuff for free. Im sure Epic & Bizarre want to give all their stuff away for free...especially the stuff they didnt pay a pennie to develop.

Lagaff

Gub'mint Researcher
shagg_187 said:

And sony have greater reason to charge knowing their financial difficulty.
As opposite where microsoft got billions and billions.

watership

Publishers and Developers having disagreements and infighting is not unusal in the gaming industry.

What is unusual, is that 1up and Epic have dragged this out into the open. I don't know if it's good or bad. It certainly makes the community rally around Epic and start throwing rocks at Microsoft. This isn't supposed to public. Epic and MS are partners. Epic just decided to take this disagreement to the rest of us, and it sorta feels like dirty pool to me. Insiders knew this sort of stuff was happening and has happened before.. I'm sorta torn on who to throw rocks at.

Timedog

good credit (by proxy)
watership said:
Publishers and Developers having disagreements and infighting is not unusal in the gaming industry.

What is unusual, is that 1up and Epic have dragged this out into the open. I don't know if it's good or bad. It certainly makes the community rally around Epic and start throwing rocks at Microsoft. This isn't supposed to public. Epic and MS are partners. Epic just decided to take this disagreement to the rest of us, and it sorta feels like dirty pool to me. Insiders knew this sort of stuff was happening and has happened before.. I'm sorta torn on who to throw rocks at.

they're bringing it out into the open because MS is ****ing us. Good for them!

Top Bottom