• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

I am just very annoyed by the amazing short sightedness of everyone on GAF.

None of you scream about your consumer rights being taken away by Steam or anything similar but you cannot resell anything on there. But you get cheap games so its 100% ok and everyone loves it.

If MS had said all digital versions would be $10 less on day 1, everyone would have swept it aside.

To me, it seems like a lot of people saying its about one thing "consumer rights," which you really don't have right any where aside from the right to not buy something, but it is really about prices.
Because Steam is a digital only service and this whole ordeal is about physical media being restricted, how fucking hard is it for some people to understand that these are completely different situations?

"If MS did this or did that", the whole point is that they fucking didn't do jack shit. We lose our rights to resell disc games, that means the MSRP will go down, right? Think again.

levyjl1988

Banned
Ha jokes on you. I don't have any friends in real life that I would share my games with. BAM!!! (Note: We each buy our own copy).

jmdajr

Isn't it amazing that after Microsoft makes all these changes that we were screaming about since it's reveal that a ton of people are still complaining and even going so far as to say the Xbone was BETTER OFF THE WAY IT WAS.

The fuck?

This just proves that no matter what people will complain about anything. It's like you're not existing if you don't complain about something.

Personally I want the best of both worlds but it can't happen.

I don't consider the current system the best, not after the possibilities discussed.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Microsoft needs to really show why digital is better and slowly eat into the physical disc market.

I guess one of the issue is that they can't undercut retailers. So if they can't get you with price there needs to be something else. I think digital sharing needs to exist somehow.

Heck it took people awhile but now no one wants CDs. Heck CDs cost fucking less than MPS3 albums. Even auto rip ones on amazon! It's crazy.

Until people feel the physical discs are an inconvenience and no real advantage over digital we're going to be on this road.

Well except digital music was much cheaper for the most part. Most albums had a good songs. Instead of paying 14.99 for them you could pay 99 cents x number of good songs. Then you have the form factor of music on the go for the gym or travel. Digital for games outside switching discs does nothing better than physical. Not like game discs are huge and heavy like books were. Want people to buy digital games go to steam pricing and be done with it.

fatty

I just don't get it...everyone keeps bringing up Steam and now iTunes. That's a joke! When you eventually upgrade your computer, you can still go back and play your old games. When your iPod breaks and a new version comes out your music will still work with it. What happens when it's time for the next Xbox, or if MS decides it's time to get out of the business? Then you would be fucked or you have to hope someone has hacked their way through the system so you can still play your old games.

I don't know why we bother explaining this over and over and over. People are still going to ignore it and call us 'short-sighted' and not willing to 'move forward' even though you broke it down pretty clearly.

But have you seen Titanf...err Family Sharing??

jmdajr

Well except digital music was much cheaper for the most part. Most albums had a good songs. Instead of paying 14.99 for them you could pay 99 cents x number of good songs. Then you have the form factor of music on the go for the gym or travel. Digital for games outside switching discs does nothing better than physical. Not like game discs are huge and heavy like books were. Want people to buy digital games go to steam pricing and be done with it.

Right, which is why it needs to be taken further.

None of you scream about your consumer rights being taken away by Steam or anything similar but you cannot resell anything on there. But you get cheap games so its 100% ok and everyone loves it.

If MS had said all digital versions would be $10 less on day 1, everyone would have swept it aside.

To me, it seems like a lot of people saying its about one thing "consumer rights," which you really don't have rights regarding anything aside from the right to not buy something, but it is really about prices.

Your missing the point that Steam is not the only game service on PC.

dosh

If MS had anything close to Steam prices in preparation, they would have talked about it instead of trying to sell the whole online check/drm stuff with empty statements and hazy promises.

In fact, if they really had anything to make us gamers accept all of this happily and willingly, they would have stuck with their original plan. The simple fact that the XBO plan was swayed that much in only two months doesn't strike me as MS having a lot of faith in it.

Xaekid

ßthePenguin;65048751 said:
It wasn't even a feature yet. It was an improvised emergency plan made up after the initial shitstorm. They didn't plan to do this at all (or where was it at the conference / before the backlash) nor did they yet have a real idea how it would be like after all (or did you hear any compliant facts about "the family plan" or any official announcement).

Now if you think further, if they didn't even want to do this in the first place and were just going to to fight the current criticism, how long do you think it would have taken them to cut the feature back into a shape they and publishers would be more happy with the moment they'd see fit to do so?!

People who are now mourning about the loss of this "feature" are pretty much delusional imo. You have no idea what you would have actually gotten. Neither did MSFT.

Can't miss something that wasn't even there in the first place.

EXACTLY my thoughts.

Orca

Because Steam is a digital only service and this whole ordeal is about physical media being restricted, how fucking hard is it for some people to understand that these are completely different situations?

"If MS did this or did that", the whole point is that they fucking didn't do jack shit. We lose our rights to resell disc games, that means the MSRP will go down, right? Think again.

Go buy a physical copy of a SteamWorks game.

Same situation.

Alx

Yeah - it's pastebin but for what it's worth:
http://pastebin.com/TE1MWES2

I still like the idea. Yeah it's not "I can play the whole game for free", but it's the closest to having a free demo of any game (provided you know someone who has it). It's nice for the user who can try almost everything, it's nice for the publisher who can have free promotion...
Nobody loses.

I still like the idea. Yeah it's not "I can play the whole game for free", but it's the closest to having a free demo of any game (provided you know someone who has it). It's nice for the user who can try almost everything, it's nice for the publisher who can have free promotion...
Nobody loses.

You can do that without tying it into sharing. You can already do the same thing on psn with certain games.

Tobor

Right, and who will be the first to make it popular on console?

I guess some people feel that model has no room to exist in the console world. If you want all digital, stick to PC.

I don't get this argument. You can be 100% digital on PS4 and Xbox one. That hasn't been lost. Everyone now has the option they prefer.

Alx

You can do that without tying it into sharing. You can already do the same thing on psn with certain games.

"certain games" is useless. There are already demos for "certain games". It would have been great to possibly have demos for all games, like we did for XBLA. With an additional social aspect, like "hey, look at this game I just bought, it's great you should try it !"

Being digital now is useless on xbox one or ps4.... no benefits to it now.

You don't have to get up and make that long walk from sofa to console to swap out Blue-Tinted Gun-Shootin' Game 362 for Brown-Tinted Gun-Shootin' Game 201. Don't sell digital so short.

"certain games" is useless. There are already demos for "certain games". It would have been great to possibly have demos for all games, like we did for XBLA. With an additional social aspect, like "hey, look at this game I just bought, it's great you should try it !"

But why do you need a sharing feature to make it apply to all games? The two things are unrelated. Like you say, xbla does it, no sharing there. If anything making it sharing only restricts what games you could trial.

jmdajr

I don't get this argument. You can be 100% digital on PS4 and Xbox one. That hasn't been lost. Everyone now has the option they prefer.

Right. Absolutely. But no one will tolerate any advances in digital distribution if it gets in the way of physical copies for consoles.

It's one of those damned if you do, damned if you don't things.

No one will ever know if digital games on Xbox 1 would be cheaper with no tie down to physical copies. Yes, I know MS was still going to have discs in stores, but that means nothing. That's all just distribution like those steamworks games.

Tobor

Being digital now is useless on xbox one or ps4.... no benefits to it now.

There are the same benefits as there were ever going to be, save having to download vs ripping from disc.

Prices were never going to be like Steam, and sharing was never going to work as implied. Take the pipe dreams away, and nothing has changed.

spookyfish

Come on -- people are clamoring for a system that was never demonstrated, never explained adequately, and would actually be MORE detrimental to publishers than used games. 10 people sharing one game? I just have a hard time believing that would have ever happened.

I still go back to why wasn't this touted so highly in Microsoft's E3 conference? It was mentioned on the last day of E3, almost as an afterthought.

Sorry. I would have to see this in action to believe it. There's an old axiom: "If it sounds too good to be true, it more than likely is."

And, as others have said, there's still the obvious: There is nothing stopping Microsoft from implementing this program, even with the new policies. NOTHING.

willow ve

MS should do a split DRM scheme.

Physical purchases act exactly like they do now in current gen.
Digital purchases are able to be shared using the DRM scheme that they proposed for the "Family Share" feature.

At any time you can go offline, but when that happens you lock all of your Family out of the digital purchased goods. You can still play them yourself, but the library is closed until your console performs an online check.

In this way they're still giving people what they want AND they give greater incentive to digital distribution (something that they claim to want).

jmdajr

There are the same benefits as there were ever going to be, save having to download vs ripping from disc.

Prices were never going to be like Steam
, and sharing was never going to work as implied. Take the pipe dreams away, and nothing has changed.

No proof of that cause it never happened.

Right, because Steam has competition and MS doesn't. But someone wanted to be the first for console to do it but that is dead in the water.

Bottom line fans feel if you want cheap digital games.. go to PC and don't fuck with my physical console games.

jagowar

Blame MS. Not gamers who wanted physical copy rights to be what they always were.

I blame retail and by proxy narrow minded gamers who actually think what we have now is a good solution..... We should not need to constantly sell games back to be able to afford the next one. I would rather have a cheaper price upfront and not have to mess with reselling games.

I do blame ms for their horrible messaging and inept way they tried to explain their system. I will never understand why they did not give a demo of how their system would work on stage and show all the benefits, then trot one of the big publishers out there and say all their new games would cost $39.99 along with mgs games. That would have set the bar that everybody would have had to copy.

Prices were never going to be like Steam, and sharing was never going to work as implied. Take the pipe dreams away, and nothing has changed.

You have no idea what it would have been like either..... people here automatically assumed the worst possible scenario. The reality would have been somewhere between the two extremes.

jmdajr

Digital purchases are able to be shared using the DRM scheme that they proposed for the "Family Share" feature.

At any time you can go offline, but when that happens you lock all of your Family out of the digital purchased goods. You can still play them yourself, but the library is closed until your console performs an online check.

In this way they're still giving people what they want AND they give greater incentive to digital distribution (something that they claim to want).

I agree 100%, totally what I am trying to say.

Alx

But why do you need a sharing feature to make it apply to all games? The two things are unrelated. Like you say, xbla does it, no sharing there. If anything making it sharing only restricts what games you could trial.

You got me there. But since it doesn't look like we will have timed demos for all digital games, there may be a reason.
Maybe the publishers would consider that many people would be fine with playing only an hour of a game here and there, and would just download anything and buy nothing. While going through sharing, you would only let people play a game that has already been paid for, and "friends" would mostly share games that fit their tastes. It's like targeted social advertising.

G17

I don't see how digital will be the same as this gen with the new news. If Microsoft want people to buy digital, they can have sales for a selection of their games on demand weekly. If they want to please retailers they can have the same policy that they do currently. All of my games on demand purchases this generation were games that had great deals. (ie. Borderlands 2 just one sale recently which was far less than retail)

If they have more frequent deals next gen, I'll be buying much more digitally than physical.

jet1911

I guess they could still do the family sharing program only on digital content. Maybe they'll announce something like that at next E3.

jmdajr

I don't see how digital will be the same as this gen with the new news. If Microsoft want people to buy digital, they can have sales for a selection of their games on demand weekly. If they want to please retailers they can have the same policy that they do currently. All of my games on demand purchases this generation were games that had great deals. (ie. Borderlands 2 just one sale recently which was far less than retail)

If they have more frequent deals next gen, I'll be buying much more digitally than physical.

Deals are good, but I think it needs more than that. Digital sharing seemed like the next step in convincing people that digital did have certain advantages over physical games.

Pillville

I blame narrow minded gamers who actually think what we have now is a good solution

Not having to get MS's permission everyday to play my games is a much better solution.

Forget the sharing/renting/used arguments. The 24 hour, internet required DRM, was not worth it at any price, with any other feature.

To me, it seems like a lot of people saying its about one thing "consumer rights," which you really don't have rights regarding anything aside from the right to not buy something, but it is really about prices.

Steam has an offline mode. It does not require you to connect to a server every 24 hours to get permission to play your games. And Steam does not mandate DRM. There are games on Steam that you could play without even launching the Steam client.

jmdajr

Not having to get MS's permission everyday to play my games is a much better solution.

Forget the sharing/renting/used arguments. The 24 hour, internet required DRM, was not worth it at any price, with any other feature.

24 hour thing was total bogus I agree. No arguments there.

G17

Deals are good, but I think it needs more than that. Digital sharing seemed like the next step in convincing people that digital did have certain advantages over physical games.

Family sharing did sound great. Though I'm not sure exactly why they've gotten rid of it for digital versions of games as well. If they had the system in place only for digital sales I'm sure that'd be a great way to make people go digital.

jagowar

Agreed.... which is why they should have modified that instead of going back to the old system. There are ways they could have fixed their current policies to remove most of the issues people legitimately brought up.

Asriel

It never really made sense - so militant about stopping other sharing, but somehow allowing this branching access between libraries so everyone can access a huge list of games without paying? Seemed made up to me.

This is why I think the family sharing thing is bs.

jmdajr

This is why I think the family sharing thing is bs.

It could have been but we'll never know now. I was all for giving them at least a year to see if everything panned out. At that point I would either jump in, or stay out.

If all it's going to take is a patch they could have done this later if it all came crashing down. I guess the risk was too high.

My hope now is split DRM in the future with benefits to digital only titles. Heck if the dash board can change, I guess this can too.

quest

Not Banned from OT

You need to forget the family share plan it was never going to happen like MS promised at first. No publisher was ever going to sign off on a system were people could have instant access to games they did not pay for. The reason publishers want digital so damn bad is 2 reasons. 1 to get a larger cut of money up front cutting out retail and 2 everyone who plays their game paid them money to do so. Sharing kills number 2.

All MS had to do was give us options. It was that simple. But they couldn't even do that. I would have been all for a system like the one you described.

Top Bottom