• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS eliminates its best new feature: 10 person, 60 min Family Sharing plan for Xbone

cicero

The few information we had was already great. Even if only one person of a group could play at a time, even if that time was limited, even if not all games would have been supported, it would still have been a much better system than no sharing at all.

Not when limited "sharing" meant the complete loss of control over the product you pay for, and the 24 hour logging on requirement it inherently required. That was no glorious superior tradeoff, it was the further encroachments of a monolithic company which has always tried to remove control of the products they sell out of the hands of the end consumer so they can do whatever they want without concern about people opting out or choosing other alternatives. This was typical MS behavior for anyone who has lived through their many many other similar actions.

The backlash against them was entirely deserved and quite refreshing.

Bummer but the price was not worth it anyway.

I just hope Sony keeps a similar game sharing policy to next gen. It was so awesome when it was 5 consoles per account.

FStop7

Banned
They never got around to the nitty gritty details.

Oh, so in other words people are projecting their most optimistic fantasies onto an ambiguous policy from the same company that was also responsible for the DRM equivalent of sticking all of their customers heads in a vise?

So I'm playing a game and someone else (that I might not know) boots up the game. Do I just get locked out? Would it even save? Give you a couple minutes like a countdown? What about multiplayer games?

How interconnected are the Family networks? Would Person A and Person B be part of the same network family and have all the same "family members" or would they be able to individually create families, and only be connected through each other?

A "family" would be a group of up to 10 people. Think clan. No the original owner of the game would always have access. Xbox One Games are using save-states now [IIRC] so you would lose zero progress. It's as if you had pressed the start button.

spekkeh

Banned
And compounded with the fact that PSN Game sharing was hated by developers/publishers and it was pressured to end....and that was only 5 shares before actual retail games were day one digital releases. I'm sure publishers would be cool with every game they make being shared with 10 people per customer.
Seriously, people believing it would work out like this is without a doubt the most moronic thing I've read all week on the internets.

I can literally not wrap my head around how these people envision the games market (doesn't) work.

Microsoft probably couldn't find a way that this would work that would actually be an improvement on current lending - that wouldn't result in even more "lost sales" than the used market.

Publishers wouldn't go for it, I imagine.

Not when limited "sharing" meant the complete loss of control over the product you pay for, and the 24 hour logging on requirement it inherently required. That was no glorious superior tradeoff, it was the further encroachments of a monolithic company which has always tried to remove control of the products they sell out of the hands of the end consumer so they can do whatever they want without concern about people opting out or choosing other alternatives. This was typical MS behavior for anyone who has lived through their many many other similar actions.

The backlash against them was entirely deserved and quite refreshing.

The policy read that the primary owner would always have access and then one instance of each title would be available to your remaining people that you've put on a white list. This would be the digital version of passing a disc around with the bonus that it was possible that two instances would be available. The family sharing thing sounded like it was turning out to be one the shining aspect of this debacle.

Good riddance... if this feature existed in the first place.

Why is this bad?

Can't have it both ways. They could have kept the feature for DD, but my thoughts are publishers would not have liked this one bit.

How would that affect publishers? Genuine question.

It's the same concept as before. Now there is no incentive to buy digital besides the convenience of not a.) not going to the store or b.) not having a disk. It would only seem to fair to be able to re-sell and share digital games just like you can physical games.

Alx

Not when limited "sharing" meant the complete loss of control over the product you pay for, and the 24 hour logging on requirement it inherently required.

For me it was. Good for you if you appreciate that the next generation model will be exactly like the current one. I don't. And I especially don't appreciate how a proposition of something new got torn down by public opinion alone (based on incomplete information, even). I'd rather have watched MS go on with their plan and fail, than witness the current situation. It's very sad indeed.

He's just proving my point that people don't like/understand change. Try explain the steam service to someone who has never used a digital service before, they think it's ridiculous but as soon as you get them onto and using it they enjoy it. I have a feeling this would've been the same situation. I'll still be buying all my games digitally in the hope that the implement this someday.

I only need a few words to describe Steam:"You can buy games for 5-10 euros, that cost 30 or more on console"

That's all, more people than you think understands the reestrictions than come with the digital era. But that wasn't gonna happen with Xbox One. People keep saying we could have had steam prices but not even MS said that was gonna be the case.

This is such bullshit. The sharing and lending feature wasn't even available at launch, by their own small print. Add to that, we have no idea what restrictions would have been placed, and whichever dolt made this has cleverly forgot to include the fact that the people sharing have to download the game first to be able to play it. Given the expected sizes of next gen games, that doesn't sound too fun.
Oh heaven forbid!! I still think half the people on gaf don't even know why their angry. They just saw other people freaking out and joined in. Conformity at its greatest.

As someone who neither deals a whole lot with used games nor really shares games very often, I'd much rather have the current setup than have to deal with the byzantine DRM restrictions just so I can share games with ten of my friends. Never mind that we never got full details of how the family sharing system was supposed to work (or at least I missed it if it was explained in full). Remember the PS3 gamesharing system that wasn't really supposed to exist, and ended up being curtailed from five activations to two?

Trading in a used game is simple and straightforward: take it back to the store, get store credit or moneys, walk out. Dealing with a family sharing system is inherently more complicated, even if it had been explained fully before being axed. Assume the most liberal system you can think of. Now think of what everyone was hoping to use the system for: "oh man, now instead of buying all my games, I can split the cost between my ten friends!" Who pays for the games? Will each person send their portion of the cost to the buyer each time? And are you going to set up a rotation system so that one person isn't stuck buying everything? What happens if eight of you feel like buying a game and two of you don't? What if one of your ten friends stops being your friend and revokes your access to their games (or vice-versa)? etc. etc. etc.

I think that for many people on this board, the benefits of being able to share a game with up to ten people with potential restrictions failed to outweigh the costs of giving up the ability to resell or trade in a physical disc. And for anyone not on this board, Microsoft did such an awful job of explaining what family sharing was or why you'd want it that most of the general population won't even care if Microsoft brings this up later as a "you could've had this awesome thing but you BLEW IT, gamers."

Seth C

Well, you fuckers demanded it. Can't coexist with everyone's desperate need to sell off their shit to GameStop.

You spoke. Microsoft listened.

I only need a few words to describe Steam:"You can buy games for 5-10 euros, that cost 30 or more on console"

That's all, more people than you think understands the reestrictions than come with the digital era. But that wasn't gonna happen with Xbox One. People keep saying we could have had steam prices but not even MS said that was gonna be the case.

All disk games were Digital games. See a cool game in a bargain bin - boom. Theres a digital copy of the game for cheap. Unless you are saying that retail stores never have steam-like sales for retail games then that's something else.

cicero

He's just proving my point that people don't like/understand change. Try explain the steam service to someone who has never used a digital service before, they think it's ridiculous but as soon as you get them onto and using it they enjoy it. I have a feeling this would've been the same situation. I'll still be buying all my games digitally in the hope that the implement this someday.

haha, you "have a feeling". Oh, bravo.

Well, your "feeling" trumped all the other historical evidence against MS and their well known efforts to push draconian DRM schemes or cloud based computing, where everyone rents services instead of buying physical copies that could be used long after MS would have forced everyone to pay for an update to access a newer and much more bloated "update". Anyone with any knowledge or experience with MS as a company would find this laughable. Word 6 anyone?

Steam is in no way comparable to what this was going to be. Valve hasn't created a console that requires logging in every 24 hours, or that breaks backwards compatibility with old purchases, or that requires a monthly fee for increased access to online services. You are comparing apples and oranges. MS has no trust in this area, Valve does. Both have come to their positions through years of intentional effort. One has shown itself to be pro-consumer, the other hasn't had that focus whatsoever.

Gattsu25

Banned
You know what? I'm perfectly fine with this. I can give my disc to a friend or family member and share with them the way I always have.

It works.

That's pretty much exactly how Microsoft described it was going to work, so I don't know why you're trolling.

The only hard confirmation we had on same-game sharing at the same time was a NO. Every time else it was mentioned it was vague either way. The facts are there, if you want to believe it or not.

MDX

Maybe people should have really thought this through
before pressuring MS to change their stance.

Its not like every console was offering the restrictions.
Imagine you could have two consoles. One where you can
save money and share the games, the other where you could
keep physical media to trade with.

That's pretty much exactly how Microsoft described it was going to work, so I don't know why you're trolling.
Microsoft couldn't get it's story straight on this "feature." Every interview something different was said. And often didn't match their online policy document.

Because in all likelihood they were making it up as they went along, as they tried to thrash out a workable policy behind the scenes. And couldn't. Since this was obviously a reactionary move due to the PR backlash rather than an intended well-thought out policy.

jrcbandit

People are delusional if they thought they could easily share your games with 10 friends. There would have been massive restrictions, otherwise what would have been the point of all that DRM crap and publishers would loose MUCH more $ to sharing than to used game sales.

quest

Not Banned from OT
Microsoft couldn't get it's story straight on this "feature." Every interview something different was said. And often didn't match their online policy document.

Because in all likelihood they were making it up as they went along, as they tried to thrash out a workable policy behind the scenes. And couldn't. Since this was obviously a reactionary move due to the PR backlash rather than an intended well-thought out policy.

You are close I think they would come up with something and the publishers would tell them hell no and they would back track on it. This sharing with 10 people was never going to happen. I said since day 1 it is way worse than used games and no publisher would allow it. Best case would of been first party and XBLA games.

njean777

If anybody really thinks publishers wouldn't cut the sharing off, you are delusional. Share games for up to 10 people? That is way worse then used games sales. It is literally a free pass for 10 people not to have to pay for the game.

Were 100% of the features sorted out? No.

Was a fairly concrete plan being sold to the audience? Yes.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=591751

Microsoft were trying to clarify and sort out the exact features, but what they announced was an unparalleled move a very cool feature and a reason to get the console. Now we have nothing.

Alx

The policy document was clear enough, and it was the only document you should consider. It was official, someone took the time to write it based on first hand information, it has probably been proof read several times by their lawyers and project managers...
People in interviews can get confused, make mistakes, misunderstand a question. That's why we had conflicting opinions on the details of that project. You can ask people about anything and you'll never have a 100% coherent report.

Anyway, there's no need crying over spilled milk now. That project is dead. Thanks internet.

DjRoomba

Banned
It sounded weird though.
Have to be on friends list 30 days...
Cant be playing at same time..
Have to be online...
It sounded like a bit of a fucking mess anyway frankly

njean777

The policy document was clear enough, and it was the only document you should consider. It was official, someone took the time to write it based on first hand information, it has probably been proof read several times by their lawyers and project managers...
People in interviews can get confused, make mistakes, misunderstand a question. That's why we had conflicting opinions on the details of that project. You can ask people about anything and you'll never have a 100% coherent report.

Anyway, there's no need crying over spilled milk now. That project is dead. Thanks internet.

It would have been killed by publishers. You really think they would have allowed this to happen? 10 people playing their game for free without paying? Really? like really?

It sounded weird though.
Have to be on friends list 30 days...
Cant be playing at same time..
Have to be online...
It sounded like a bit of a fucking mess anyway frankly

Don't forget, at a friend's house you had a ONE HOUR window for online check instead of 24. There's a lot of complicated shit.

I just don't get why they can't make it so Digitally-downloaded games behave as before the backpedal move (sharing, re-selling...), AND still offer the option of having the Xbox360 behavior. You just need to have the option of choosing which of those two types of games you are buying.

Explanation:
Whenever you buy a digital game from the Microsoft's store, only once per game, you get asked the following question:

Do you want to be able to share this game with up to 9 family members and have the option to resell/lend it in the future, and you understand that means you will need to be connected at least once every 24 hours to validate the game to be able to play with it?

If you choose NO -> Xbox 360 behavior. Can't share nor resell, but can play completely offline.

If you choose YES -> Xbox One behavior. Can't play offline for longer than 24 hours, but you can share and resell it.

Your option gets stored in the game FOREVER. So if you share, lend or re-sell a "YES" game, the person that gets it will get a game with the "YES" option above (i.e., always online option).

And then, that WOULD BE the best of both worlds, not this. Seriously, Microsoft, is not that hard.

No need to be pointing fingers to consumers saying "This is what you wanted". What consumers wanted, and will always want, is to have the freaking option to choose what's best for them. Period.

Maybe publishers pressured Microsoft to can family sharing. The only positive feature in this drm fiasco which is a publishers nightmare.

Would've been much worse if they only changed this policy and left everything else intact.

It would have been killed by publishers. You really think they would have allowed this to happen? 10 people playing their game for free without paying? Really? like really?

So you think Microsoft just came up with the feature, wrote up a policy document and advertised it without ever talking to publishers? Really? Like really?

cicero

The policy read that the primary owner would always have access and then one instance of each title would be available to your remaining people that you've put on a white list. This would be the digital version of passing a disc around with the bonus that it was possible that two instances would be available. The family sharing thing sounded like it was turning out to be one the shining aspect of this debacle.

Why is this bad?
It "sounded" like many things though. We had no hard set statements detailing how things were going to work, and certainly no evidence that publishers were ready to go along with whatever MS had planned. All I have is the MS attempt to take control of the products I purchase out of my hands to increase their profit margins. Not to increase my access, enjoyment, or ability to play games better than I did before, it was their bottom line. Period.

This is typical MS. I have directly experienced their behavior since the early 90s and nothing has really changed. They have been going down this road for a very long time as a basic part of corporate policy, because restricting access and further their own COMPLETE control over the products they sell allows them to charge what they want when they want, and remove pesky problems like third party used sales or use of older products instead of people migrating to whatever new product/services they are pushing. This was merely the video game console extension of their normal modus operandi when it comes to their OS and other software.

Fair trade off for being able to sell, borrow, and trade games IMO.

Huh? Last I checked I was able to sell, borrow and trade games, in fact I could do it with my friends in Florida instantly without having to travel 1500 miles or paying for shipping both ways.

Wish I could modify that Sony game sharing tutorial, Step 1 share the game... Step 2, get in your car and drive 1500 miles in traffic to get your butt back home to play. With Xbone I could've just dropped the games in my share section and instantly give friends access to games I wanted to share and viceversa.

SAD

link1201

They did a piss poor job of trying to sell it. I was interested in it, but it was too vague and it seemed like a last minute add on.

PG2G

Well, you fuckers demanded it. Can't coexist with everyone's desperate need to sell off their shit to GameStop.

You spoke. Microsoft listened.

Its kind of sad, I would have been happy to deal with DRM with this feature in place. I know I'm not the majority though, and I'm glad to see Microsoft do what it needs to do to make this a more competitive generation.

Alx

Who knows what MS had/would have negociated for that ? Maybe getting a share of the used market was worth it. Maybe MS would have shared some of the Gold income, since it would have been an incentive for it. Maybe it was a condition to get access to free Azure servers.
You need to watch the big picture. Each feature doesn't exist by itself, they're linked to each other. And what's happening today is another proof of it.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
At times forums are ridiculous. All we ve read for weeks is 'PS4 day one' 'MS lost my custom' they have listened and there was gonna be
Sacrifices.
I was happy with the new system and the family plan. Now its just cost me more . I share games or buy 2 copies of say COD or FIFA with my kid . Now I Definetly have to buy 2 copies. Give with one hand and take with another . The power of the fanboy strikes again.

Whatcha gonna do brother when the fanboys run wild on you?

Top Bottom