• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS Financial Briefing: Xbox Live biggest gaming network, E3 "Next Wave of Big Hits"

ViciousDS

Banned
Xbox Live biggest gaming network?...That's kind of true, the most active? I dunno.

wouldn't steam be the biggest network?

Also loyalty? what the hell kind of chart is that.....I know almost everyone who jumped ship.......there is no brand loyalty except extremists. You go where the games are, and casual consumers go where the price is.

Trup1aya

Steam would count as a social network, it's seems like now more than ever that microsoft is trying to entrench xbox into all of Microsoft. They are trying to change the image of Xbox as a piece of hardware to gaming as a whole for Microsoft.

They are working on new avatars, can't blame them they mentioned in the briefing that selling avatar items is a good business. I wouldn't be surprised to see them come back more prominently.

The reason I ask is because it appears that steam is a larger more monetized gaming social network than Xbox live, contrary to MS' claims.

You're put off because ms are following the market and making money in the process? 🤔
Would you prefer it if they didn't and were not profitable and therefore there was no division?

I don't really know what sort of end game you want here… they provide plenty of options, the same as everyone else for monetisation and content?

As a paid service, I'm put off by adverts being on the home screen/dashboard, which are a form of monetisation.
As quoted earlier, "and monetizes far more than any other gaming social network".

That's all, I'm not here for baiting. Just putting forth my stance as a consumer.

JlNX

The reason I ask is because it appears that steam is a larger more monetized gaming social network than Xbox live, contrary to MS' claims.

I think he means in terms of the actual network not content, so that would be Xbox live subscriptions, avatar items, advertising etc.

JaggedSac

As a paid service, I'm put off by adverts being on the home screen/dashboard, which are a form of monetisation.
As quoted earlier, "and monetizes far more than any other gaming social network".

That's all, I'm not here for baiting. Just putting forth my stance as a consumer.

Watch out, Neogaf is monetizing you as well.

Screenshot-5_10_2017-11_54_19-PM-1024x549.jpg

phil looking sexy

ViciousDS

Banned

except I don't subscribe to play my steam games online, or use party chat (which tons of superior programs exist on the PC)

wouldn't steam be the biggest network?

Also loyalty? what the hell kind of chart is that.....I know almost everyone who jumped ship.......there is no brand loyalty except extremists. You go where the games are, and casual consumers go where the price is.

That's a strange thing to say. You know tens of millions of people who left the brand? Or the other millions who decided to stay?

At this point, I don't care what it is anymore, I just want something to play. Seeing everyone say that this has been one of the best runs in gaming in a long time, and knowing that I can play about two of these great games is just plain depressing.

FelipeMGM

This Mixed Reality platform Microsoft is creating is waaay bigger then gaming. They are basically adapting their line of thought that made Windows the biggest OS system to this Mixed Reality platform.

They have multiple headsets, multiple hardware compatible, focus on creating tools that are appealing to the mass market and a big push because they already have this huge userbase with Windows 10

I think VR is slow at the moment because most focused on gaming first, while the focus should have been something with more broad public appeal, and then the gaming elements would come in naturally. Thats why I think MS (which is showing this is somewhat their approach) has a great chance to lead this Mixed Reality market and make it a popular platform.

watdaeff4

You're put off because ms are following the market and making money in the process? 🤔
Would you prefer it if they didn't and were not profitable and therefore there was no division?

I don't really know what sort of end game you want here… they provide plenty of options, the same as everyone else for monetisation and content?

You know several posters here want just that.

Trup1aya

I think he means in terms of the actual network not content, so that would be Xbox live subscriptions, avatar items, advertising etc.

I mean the network too: steam would have more users, more ad revenue. It wouldn't have subscribers, but it would have more members and more sales.

Can't next wave just mean the already announced games like State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves and Crackdown? I mean it IS what's next for Xbox. Hate to be a negative Nancy here but I'm not yet getting my hopes up for big game announcements.

JaggedSac

Can't next wave just mean the already announced games like State of Decay 2, Sea of Thieves and Crackdown? I mean it IS what's next for Xbox. Hate to be a negative Nancy here but I'm not yet getting my hopes up for big game announcements.

Yes, those are certainly what he is referring to. Likely including Halo 6 and Forza 7 in that as well.

Trago

Well that is a cut and dry quote for people that constantly say the Xbox division is in the red.

lol

I was getting ready to say. People used to constantly say "Xbox division isn't even profitable! They'll leave the console business!"

Anyway, it's nice to hear that they're investing more into first party. I do hope that their next wave of big hits doesn't exclusively consist of GAAS titles. Throw us single player fans a bone or two.

Kaydan

Banned
I don't pay money to Neogaf, nor are the ads intrusive. There's a big difference there.
Microsoft dashboard ads are not intrusive and are mainly about gaming content. Nintendo on the other hand has a giant Mercedes ad INSIDE the game's menu in Mario Kart. Now that's intrusive.

You know several posters here want just that.

Yeh I wasn't suggesting that guy was specifically one of them though.

I didn't think you were baiting just wasn't really sure what you meant but I understand now. Not overly thrilled about ads that aren't for games myself so I get that perspective.

Isurus

I like it. The profitability news and the fact that MS see Xbox as important is great. I also want to see things evolve as opposed to stay stale and they seem focused on trying something somewhat new or at least doing it in a new way. I hope it works out. They just need to remember one thing: customer empathy. As long as they focus on that, they should be fine.

When was the first wave of big hits?
No hardware numbers huh..

Of course the first post has to be a shit post, along with several others to follow. God forbid we have a discussion without this cynical crap on these forums.

KageMaru

Business is business, and they've gotta make money. I'm not complaining about that.
I'm saying as a consumer, that puts me off reentering the Xbox ecosystem.

Depending on how their first party investments look over the coming years, these new revenue streams can be a benefit to gamers like us.

jeffram

lol

I was getting ready to say. People used to constantly say "Xbox division isn't even profitable! They'll leave the console business!"

Anyway, it's nice to hear that they're investing more into first party. I do hope that their next wave of big hits doesn't exclusively consist of GAAS titles. Throw us single player fans a bone or two.
The fact that they have to tell investors this means that it's questionable. They didn't give a time frame of the profitability.

Just so I have an understanding on the hate on games as a service people concider Destiny and Overwatch in this category? The two biggest new IPs this generation and people are shocked that investment in that model is huge?

Trago

Depending on how their first party investments look over the coming years, these new revenue streams can be a benefit to gamers like us.

Especially if Xbox Game Pass takes off. That would help fund more story-driven single player games. They've already said as much.

The fact that they have to tell investors this means that it's questionable. They didn't give a time frame of the profitability.

Right, so they're definitely in the red?

Top Bottom