• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS teasing XNA successor for Build 2013 Day 2 keynote. (it's Unity)

Relix

he's Virgin Tight™
And I just posted about this yesterday....

If they revive XNA or make a new framework I'll learn it. I was already moving on to MonoGames but this would be cool to see.

Is something like XNA really even needed anymore? I feel like they'd be better off supporting the existing multiplatform alternatives (MonoGame, Unity, Game Maker, etc), unless they're bringing something new to the table.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'd like to see something like a 2D Unity -- a dedicated, multiplatform 2D engine with great tools and lots of built-in functionality. They could grab my attention with something like that, although I can't see Microsoft making something like that truly multiplatform.

ekim

Is something like XNA really even needed anymore? I feel like they'd be better off supporting the existing multiplatform alternatives (MonoGame, Unity, Game Maker, etc), unless they're bringing something new to the table.

Maybe I'm alone in this, but I'd like to see something like a 2D Unity -- a dedicated, multiplatform 2D engine with great tools and lots of built-in functionality. They could grab my attention with something like that, although I can't see Microsoft making something like that truly multiplatform.

There is a session about Unity at this year's Build.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/3-044
Tales from the trenches: here’s how we built two amazing Windows 8 games using Unity, and why you should too! We’ll help you avoid pitfalls and make the process as easy as possible.

Halvie

Banned
That's probably about Project Spark.

And I don't think Ms needs another XNA right now... For enthusiastics and beginners Project Spark hits the "anyone can makes games" mantra much better than XNA ever could. For indies who are already developers, Ms also has a framework where they can use pretty much any engine available today, as well write their own code to talk directly to directX... Both are better suited tools for their audience than XNA would be.

Spark more in depth than I what I have seen? Pretty big jump between that and Unity or something else, right?

After all the first-hand accounts from indie devs about terrible MS is to work with, will people will care? I know that was mainly about MS as a publisher but still. Overall, they shown they don't care anymore, unless you're Mojang and can sell millions of copies.

ekim

Just thinking : isn't there HyperV running on XboxOne? It should be possible to deploy a normal PC game if there is a "normal" windows VM, right? Question is if this VM is able to access all the HW power.

I mean, this goes in line with the session about getting Desktop programs into the Windows store. If MS provides a way where you can easily publish your non-metro applications on the AppStore without a hassle and available for phone,tablets,PC and Xbone... That would be huge.

Edit: remember that LaunchWorks patent and domains from MS...

My guess is DX integration into .NET. The last part of video seems to hint at that.

If that's only that I will be depressed XD Even though they are not official there are already .net Dx wrappers that work with WinRT...

Ms now doesn't need to restrict the entire development on .net because now they have tools and workforce to guarantee security even with native code.

I really hope that they follow the framework and store of windows 8 on xbox one. That would still be great for .net developers because you can work with .net for apps and games on Winrt too!

Spark more in depth than I what I have seen? Pretty big jump between that and Unity or something else, right?

What I meant was: Beginners who doesn't know how a gam works or how to code will most likely get a lot more work done when using spark...

Developers that already know how to produce a game, can use more powerful and performant tools directly within the WinRT framework.

So xna, that used to sit in the middle is not needed, because they have now something that has a lower barrier, and something that has more capabilities.

Even if they announce it now, devs would just now get to start making their games for xbone.

It should have been unveiled well before launch, or at least floated to developers. I think they'll still want to push for indies to let MS publish. They're all about making their platform look better.

Bring back AMOS!

amiga_amos_01.jpg

Tiu Neo

I kinda doubt it's something like XNA. Even if it is, that would be a bit too late, since a lot of people moved from XNA to Unity or Monogame. Anyway, if it's good, people will use it.

I'm betting on Windows 8 Store Apps work on Xbone, everything on WinRT works (so you can use SharpDX, Monogame and so on), and you can self publish there.

There is a session about Unity at this year's Build.
http://channel9.msdn.com/Events/Build/2013/3-044

Yeah, if they're already supporting it on Win8 it seems like a no-brainer. At this point Unity is big enough that I'd be more surprised if any consoles didn't support it.

What I meant was: Beginners who doesn't know how a gam works or how to code will most likely get a lot more work done when using spark...

Developers that already know how to produce a game, can use more powerful and performant tools directly within the WinRT framework.

So xna, that used to sit in the middle is not needed, because they have now something that has a lower barrier, and something that has more capabilities.

Spark seems extremely limited though. It seems more like an educational tool than a serious development tool. There's still plenty of room for "middle-ground" tools, since people have varying skills/resources.

The real reason XNA is unneeded IMO is that MonoGame exists. If MS brings back XNA, they'd have to do something that the open source community can't easily do with MonoGame.

Halvie

Banned

I understood the point you were making, but there is a big difference between someone who can't code whatsoever and developers that would need something more powerful than xna, no? At least I am someone who would fit into that category.

amardilo

My guess is DX integration into .NET. The last part of video seems to hint at that.

That would be good for me. I really like .NET and languages like C#.

But I'm still hopeful they announce self publishing for the Xbox One and not just changes/additions to frameworks.

I also hope that they don't tie self publishing for games written to a specific language, framework or engine.

nasos_333

I'd hope Microsoft would not drop support for it this time, but little confidence in that.

The problem is who would trust MS with a new system like XNA, when a developer knows an engine like Unity3D supports all systems and will never go out of support

As someone that invested in XNA a lot, i see it as crazy to even think of using MS next indie system, unless it offers something so huge that makes an unbelivable difference to Unity

Which i doubt will be the case

ekim

That would be good for me. I really like .NET and languages like C#.

But I'm still hopeful they announce self publishing for the Xbox One and not just changes/additions to frameworks.

I also hope that they don't tie self publishing for games written to a specific language, framework or engine.

I'm not that familar with the APIs and Frameworks provided by MS - Let's say I want to build a Windows8 Xbox branded game for the Windows Store - I have to stick to .NET, right? Does that mean I can't use DX for these games?

CookTrain

The problem is who would trust MS with a new system like XNA, when a developer knows an engine like Unity3D supports all systems and will never go out of support

As someone that invested in XNA a lot, i see it as crazy to even think of using MS next indie system, unless it offers something so huge that makes an unbelivable difference to Unity

Which i doubt will be the case

Yeah, the positive thing is given they've branched out with what they support in the Windows Store, it's surely a shoe-in that they'll carry all that support over to the Xbox as well... Otherwise why bother with jumping through all the hoops to get multiple OSes running in tandem if not to gain that kind of interoperability.

I'm not that familar with the APIs and Frameworks provided by MS - Let's say I want to build a Windows8 Xbox branded game for the Windows Store - I have to stick to .NET, right? Does that mean I can't use DX for these games?

Looks like you can use a few different things for the store in general; JavaScript with HTML/CSS, C#, Visual Basic, or C++ with XAML and C++ with DirectX

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/apps/bg125376

But I don't know if there are special requirements for being Xbox branded, or if all games are if they're published in the store.

ekim

Yeah, the positive thing is given they've branched out with what they support in the Windows Store, it's surely a shoe-in that they'll carry all that support over to the Xbox as well... Otherwise why bother with jumping through all the hoops to get multiple OSes running in tandem if not to gain that kind of interoperability.

Looks like you can use a few different things for the store in general; JavaScript with HTML/CSS, C#, Visual Basic, or C++ with XAML and C++ with DirectX

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/apps/bg125376

But I don't know if there are special requirements for being Xbox branded, or if all games are if they're published in the store.

Thanks for the link. :)

It's going to be on the windows 8 kernel only. I don't imagine most indie developers are going to be too happy with it.

On the flip-side, does this mean they won't have to port their games from W8 to Xbox One? Will they make a game for the W8 kernel and it'll run on both without any real additional work? Or is that a little too optimistic?

Shmowzow!

Banned
Seems like indies have shifted away from XNA and have been using Unity more and more. Makes sense, given it's multiplatform compatibility and that it's going to be supported for the foreseeable future. Too little, too late MS.
Unity Pro is still pretty expensive tho and you can't publish without a license. As someone with a steady job and nothing but a curious interest for (solo) indie gamedevelopment, this drives me away from Unity. I'm not dropping a months salary on a developmentpackage I'm only going to use for a hobby. Not when there's free alternatives.

Monogame, which is just an opensource implementation of XNA, looks interesting tho. MS would be wise to go the OS-route and have some sort of audit/shitfilter for their actual Store.

M3d10n

I'm torn on the Windows Store idea. From one side, it would be open to anyone and MS finally added support to IAP with Windows 8.1. On the other side, Windows Store games wouldn't have access to all the resources "real" games can get and will need to compete with other multitasking apps for resources, which would be a problem for companies like Frozen Bytes: if they make a gorgeous-looking PS4 game it'll need a massive downgrade in order to run on the XBone.

Talking about the Store, how is MS going to handle the selling of apps and "real" games anyway? A single store? Two stores (an Xbox store and a Windows Store)?

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I don't see why they'd lock games into the app partition of Xbox One, if anything they are more likely to want you playing around in the game partition where presumably you can't access the core of the device.

It will be interesting to see what they've got today, to be honest at this point I think I'd rather see an app platform on Xbox one than a game one, I'd rather play my indie games on PC anyway, but apps on my console that don't have to be vetted & approved by MS? That would be the real next gen entertainment result.

Rlan

I'm torn on the Windows Store idea. From one side, it would be open to anyone and MS finally added support to IAP with Windows 8.1. On the other side, Windows Store games wouldn't have access to all the resources "real" games can get and will need to compete with other multitasking apps for resources, which would be a problem for companies like Frozen Bytes: if they make a gorgeous-looking PS4 game it'll need a massive downgrade in order to run on the XBone.

Talking about the Store, how is MS going to handle the selling of apps and "real" games anyway? A single store? Two stores (an Xbox store and a Windows Store)?

The Windows Store is kind of borked right now becasue to be on the Windows 8 store you need to support both x86 and ARM, which means the Windows 8 store is filled with touch based games that have basic mouse and keyboard support, which means bigger games like Steam don't appear on there, which is probably what a PC games wants more.

What they need to do is allow for developers to determine better what will work on what. If you can tick "Xbox, PC" or "PC, Tablet" then those games would be tested and checked on all types.

Shmowzow!

Banned
You mean publish to consoles or publish in general? You can certainly release on PC without a pro license.

Hmm, they seem to have changed some policies. I distinctly remember it saying you can't publish commercially without a license. You now seem to be able to for PC, Android and iOS

netBuff

What? You realise that makes no sense right?

That actually makes perfect sense, the Windows 8 Store is very restrictive compared to regular Windows development. The same could be true of their Xbone environment - not having equal potential access to the hardware like regular Xbone games would be a potentially huge disadvantage to indie developers.

Tripolygon

Banned
This is what could happen, somewhat akin to PS Vita, PSN, and PSM

1. Self Publishing for Apps & Games that run on WinRT Framework across Win8 and Xbone that does not require low level access to hardware.

2. 3rd Party Publisher needed for Games that Run only on Xbone and require low level access to hardware.

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
This is what could happen, somewhat akin to PS Vita, PSN, and PSM

1. Self Publishing for Apps & Games that run on WinRT Framework across Win8 and Xbone that does not require low level access to hardware.

2. 3rd Party Publisher needed for Games that Run only on Xbone and require low level access to hardware.

This is NOT akin to PSN. The first point is similar to PSM, yes. The 2nd point has nothing to do with PSN. You can still self-publish to PSN (PS3/PS4/PSV). It's just not as trivial (i.e. app store) as PSM.

ElFly

This and SpriteKit from Apple seem like bad moves for the indies.

Better to do your development in a library that will make easy to port to other platforms later. Unity seems like the best option right now.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
Not happening it seems. There is nothing in VS13 suggesting a release for This SDK. The keynote for devs already entered boring mode; they are talking about Office 365 APIs.

I was confident Microsoft was going to announce a way for devs to publish on the X1 due to some rumors I heard last year, but maybe MS is way too busy finishing the X1 OS to the point they cannot offer a stable SDK at this point.

This will happen, rumors or not, it's the next logical step.

Yeah, if they're already supporting it on Win8 it seems like a no-brainer. At this point Unity is big enough that I'd be more surprised if any consoles didn't support it.

Spark seems extremely limited though. It seems more like an educational tool than a serious development tool. There's still plenty of room for "middle-ground" tools, since people have varying skills/resources.

The real reason XNA is unneeded IMO is that MonoGame exists. If MS brings back XNA, they'd have to do something that the open source community can't easily do with MonoGame.

I understood the point you were making, but there is a big difference between someone who can't code whatsoever and developers that would need something more powerful than xna, no? At least I am someone who would fit into that category.

Fair enough, and WinRT covers those bases too. Even though it's not a official solution like XNA, you'll find direct wrappers for .net, and even monogame which is kinda of a xna port.

ekim

Deploying Apps to Xbox One confirmed!

Showing this later in the sessions it seems. Also for DX,C++ apps.

Top Bottom