• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MS teasing XNA successor for Build 2013 Day 2 keynote. (it's Unity)

paraphrased quote just now: "nothing to announce at this time, but hey, Xbox One has that common Windows 8 engine, so if you want to prepare yourself, go ahead and make Windows 8 apps!"

hah

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
Well you can self-publish Win8 apps... I think, yes?!

Correct. Basically you can publish Win8 apps. You will eventually be able to deploy Win8 apps to XBONE. This is basically PSM/App Store for XBONE.. sort of. aka no better than XBLIG.

Is the Windows Store now a ghetto?
I would say that's harsh but accurate. Windows mobile penetration is ridiculously bad, and Win8 distribution through Windows Store is insignificant compared to other distribution methods (to be fair, Mac App Store is in the same boat). there's no reason to believe it will be any better on XBONE.

guch20

Banned
Correct. Basically you can publish Win8 apps. You will eventually be able to deploy Win8 apps to XBONE. This is basically PSM/App Store for XBONE.. sort of. aka no better than XBLIG.
So someone like Phil Fish couldn't just pop Fez 2 up on XBL?

TRios Zen

Not pretending to be an expert but isn't the benefit of this that if you create an App for the Windows platform you could (apparently) easily push it to Xbox One (and Win Phone?)?

Tripolygon

Banned
called it
This is what could happen, somewhat akin to PS Vita, PSN, and PSM

1. Self Publishing for Apps & Games that run on WinRT Framework across Win8 and Xbone that does not require low level access to hardware.

2. 3rd Party Publisher needed for Games that Run only on Xbone and require low level access to hardware.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
I am going to an ASP.Net session after this. What is the session in which they will talk about publishing for X1? I never saw anything about this in the session details when I was planning.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Sounds like Unity might be announced for Xbox One shortly. They teased something Build related just now on their twitter.

borghe

Not pretending to be an expert but isn't the benefit of this that if you create an App for the Windows platform you could (apparently) easily push it to Xbox One (and Win Phone?)?

Yes, but such apps will be in no way comparable to XBLA titles (or PSN, or Nintendo eShop, or Steam, etc). When it comes down to it, Windows Store simply sits way low on the chart compared to other much more viable platforms and distribution services.

godhandiscen

Dude, come on. Wasn't getting him banned enough. Leave it alone man.
I told him about the HTML5/JS dev framework for X1, and he used that insider info as his confirmation bias that his hardware hallucinations were true.

Not true, W8 store apps has full access to the hardware, support all live features like achievements, and unlike XBLIG does not push indie stuff underneath big corporation apps.

godhandiscen

Won't really help if there's no self publishing. :(
Why do you assume that? They haven't spoken about publishing details. They cannot do that if the SDKs aren't ready. If the SDKs were in a state to be shared, we would get some sort of preview for download.

borghe

Not true, W8 store apps has full access to the hardware, support all live features like achievements, and unlike XBLIG does not push indie stuff underneath big corporation apps.

a) you will NOT get full access to the xbone architecture from W8 store. They haven't announced it and I would be shocked to see it
b) Windows store will still exist outside of XBox Live Marketplace, and they haven't (and won't) announce that changing.

That second point is where the XBLIG comparison will be the most valid.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Sounds like Unity might be announced for Xbox One shortly. They teased something Build related just now on their twitter.

Right on cue.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Unity for Xbox One announced.

Isn't Unity supported by nearly everything? Including the Wii U? Or does this mean something more? That doesn't mean anything for self publishing does it?

KageMaru

All I want is a way to self publish a game of mine on a game console without the need of a dev kit, similar to XNA on the 360. I know I can do the same on the PC, but there's something interesting to me about having a game on a system, any video game system. I'm not concerned about making money or how much access I have to the hardware, I just want to have the ability to do my own thing on my own hardware and compile it for a system.

Hopefully we see something similar to XNA/XBLIG on the PS4 or Xbone.

Top Bottom