• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSI Afterburner Developer Hasn't been Paid for a Year, Product Development in Limbo

coffinbirth

Sorry, but that post is pretty ignorant:
GoFundMe = US based -> sanctions
Paypal = US based -> sanctions
Sending alot of cash in an envelope -> fantastic idea, certainly wont get stolen!

The only way to get past the sanctions is using crypto, but thats a can of worms too.
I don't think you have a goddamned clue what you are talking about.
We pay Russian programmers literally every fucking day.
There are HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of Russian programmers working remotely for US companies RIGHT NOW.

LOL, the irony is palpable.

Go spew your genius over here, there's HUNDREDS of you. https://www.change.org/p/gavin-news...all-software-development-services-from-russia

Last edited:

A.Romero

nemiroff

Gold Member
Sounds like MSI created this mess. Been working in development teams for years (and with outsourced programmers) and know that in an efficient and well structured development environment no one is truly irreplaceable unless management is in complete shambles. Isn't his code in a repository, no one should work solo in a silo without their team being constantly updated to take over at any time.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sorry, but that post is pretty ignorant:
GoFundMe = US based -> sanctions
Paypal = US based -> sanctions
Sending alot of cash in an envelope -> fantastic idea, certainly wont get stolen!

The only way to get past the sanctions is using crypto, but thats a can of worms too.
they are still selling their GPUs in Russia still. Im sure their lawyers can find a way.

coffinbirth

Oh yeah, on that part you are right.

So I guess that number was pulled out of nowhere and has no relation with reality.
Or you could double down on your narrative without actually using Google...
Thousands of Russian contracts were not renegotiated just this year at my company alone, and we don't even crack top 10 in terms of outsourcing. That's only a percentile of those still under contract, btw.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/08/gigwork-russia/

Last edited:

A.Romero

Or you could double down on your narrative without actually using Google...
Thousands of Russian contracts were not renegotiated just this year at my company alone, and we don't even crack top 10 in terms of outsourcing. That's only a percentile of those still under contract, btw.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technology/2022/03/08/gigwork-russia/

You do realize I said not HUNDREDS of thousands and the article you are showing not only says TENS but also includes professionals that are not developers and that may not be working for US companies? If you care to read the article (I did when you challenged me to use Google) you will notice that they interview an illustrator (not developer) and she says she works for companies in India, Germany, US and Australia.

Now if you can see here https://kruschecompany.com/it-outsourcing-statistics/ that Russia has less than half a million developers total. Saying HUNDREDS of thousands of developers work for US companies would imply that half of their development workforce is working for US companies. As far as I know Russia doesn't even rank in top 10 for outsourcing business for American companies.

I'd love to see a source on HUNDREDS of thousands of Russian programmers working for American companies because it would blow my mind. I work with nearshore outsourcing by the way so it's a professional interest too.

I'm also interested how your company is paying them given that the same article you linked talks about precisely the difficulty of financial transactions for this workers.

coffinbirth

You do realize I said not HUNDREDS of thousands and the article you are showing not only says TENS but also includes professionals that are not developers and that may not be working for US companies? If you care to read the article (I did when you challenged me to use Google) you will notice that they interview an illustrator (not developer) and she says she works for companies in India, Germany, US and Australia.

Now if you can see here https://kruschecompany.com/it-outsourcing-statistics/ that Russia has less than half a million developers total. Saying HUNDREDS of thousands of developers work for US companies would imply that half of their development workforce is working for US companies. As far as I know Russia doesn't even rank in top 10 for outsourcing business for American companies.

I'd love to see a source on HUNDREDS of thousands of Russian programmers working for American companies because it would blow my mind. I work with nearshore outsourcing by the way so it's a professional interest too.

I'm also interested how your company is paying them given that the same article you linked talks about precisely the difficulty of financial transactions for this workers.
Hundreds of thousands in software development, not strictly programmers, if you pardon the verbiage. And yes, that number is by your own sources data only citing statistics from 2018 and 2019, nor does it cover "domestic offices" or contractors such as Mr, Alexey Nicolaychuk. It's estimated to be much higher, I've seen 800,000 bandied about, but that is an impossible figure to track, realistically. That link was but one example of current contracts by but a handful of companies. As far as the "difficulties" regarding financial compensation, you simply do not use banks or brokers whom are sanctioned. Or, conversely expose that you already have ties with sanctioned entities. Remember, the entire banking system isn't sanctioned...and we are still freely doing trade with them. "Curtailing operations" is FAR different than an outright embargo.

Last edited:

A.Romero

Hundreds of thousands in software development, not strictly programmers, if you pardon the verbiage. And yes, that number is by your own sources data only citing statistics from 2018 and 2019, nor does it cover "domestic offices" or contractors such as Mr, Alexey Nicolaychuk. It's estimated to be much higher, I've seen 800,000 bandied about, but that is an impossible figure to track, realistically. That link was but one example of current contracts by but a handful of companies. As far as the "difficulties" regarding financial compensation, you simply do not use banks or brokers whom are sanctioned. Or, conversely expose that you already have ties with sanctioned entities. Remember, the entire banking system isn't sanctioned...and we are still freely doing trade with them. "Curtailing operations" is FAR different than an outright embargo.

Too bad there is no source. It would have been pretty interesting to see some evidence.

Sorry for bumping but MSI Afterburner just got a new update! yey!

If you download from the official MSI page it will still download 4.6.5 (Beta 4). I've been running 4.6.5 (Beta 6) for a while now but 4.6.5 (Stable) has now released! If you have an Nvidia 4000 or AMD 7900 series GPU you should update. Also, if you have a 13th Gen Intel or AMD Ryzen 7000 series CPU you should also update. The full list of changes can be seen on the link below.

You can download it from Guru3d. Don't worry it's safe. This is the site that the developer posts updates to in their forums. Do not download MSI Afterburner anywhere else except of course the official MSI site.

Download here:

If you don't trust that for some reason then the official MSI page is here but I don't know when it'll update to 4.6.5 (Stable)

Last edited:
Sounds like MSI has sorted it out with him as he has released this and is willing to continue working on it but it seems like his attitude is that he will be doing the bare miminum required of him. From what I've read he is only going to support MSI products and if other cards work with it then great but if not then tough shit. I get that he has received a lot of hate and negative feedback. He even considered not releasing another stable build again and developing it quietly and keeping it in perpetual beta status.

I don't want to get into the politics but I'm glad he is continuing to work on it. MSI Afterburner is one of the first things I install when building a new PC or doing a clean install. It's essential software and MSI should treat him better and give him more support. I was surprised to find out that it was one guy developing it. MSI should really have a team of their own working on this.

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Sounds like MSI has sorted it out with him as he has released this and is willing to continue working on it but it seems like his attitude is that he will be doing the bare miminum required of him. From what I've read he is only going to support MSI products and if other cards work with it then great but if not then tough shit. I get that he has received a lot of hate and negative feedback. He even considered not releasing another stable build again and developing it quietly and keeping it in perpetual beta status.

I don't want to get into the politics but I'm glad he is continuing to work on it. MSI Afterburner is one of the first things I install when building a new PC or doing a clean install. It's essential software and MSI should treat him better and give him more support. I was surprised to find out that it was one guy developing it. MSI should really have a team of their own working on this.
Is rivatuner his work too? Cos tbh that's what I use most from this, the frame limiting stuff. I do also use the screenshotting and monitoring from MSIA. At one point I was also using its frame counter but that hasn't actually worked for me through my last two PC builds or so, thankfully Steam's is fine.

Last edited:
Is rivatuner his work too? Cos tbh that's what I use most from this, the frame limiting stuff. I also use the screenshotting from MSIA itself and at one point I was also using the frame counter but that doesn't seem to have worked for me through my last two PC builds or so, thankfully Steam's is fine.
Yeah RT isn't affected. MSI has nothing to do with that. RT has been getting constant updates all this time.

Alexios

I think MSI Afterburner is being updated again. Since last April, I apparently missed that news. Not sure if they resolved the payment issues with the sole Russian developer or they stole it from him or something but I guess I wouldn't have missed such drama if there was any at the time? I dunno.
Gotta love how bad news travel at lightspeed & good news are buried never to be seen though huh. By the way, everything works in this app for me except the fps counter overlay thingie and it hasn't for like a decade through multiple GPUs/drivers etc., anybody have a clue? Screens, fps limits, work.

Last edited:

Osaka_Boss

MSI Afterburner killed 0 ukranians so what's your point here??

Doesn't fit into your stupid black and white bubble, does it?

Evil russian doesn't deserve payments.
EPyluA0.gif
Do drones use msi afterburner? 🤣

lmimmfn

I think MSI Afterburner is being updated again. Since last April, I apparently missed that news. Not sure if they resolved the payment issues with the sole Russian developer or they stole it from him or something but I guess I wouldn't have missed such drama if there was any at the time? I dunno.
Gotta love how bad news travel at lightspeed & good news are buried never to be seen though huh. By the way, everything works in this app for me except the fps counter overlay thingie and it hasn't for like a decade through multiple GPUs/drivers etc., anybody have a clue? Screens, fps limits, work.
He's continued to release builds since, he posts as "Unwinder" on Guru3D - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-ab-rtss-development-news-thread.412822/page-192
For the FPS counter, see the "How to see the FPS using Rivatuner Statistics Server" section
For some of them you might need to enable the stats from RTSS(accessible from Afterburner).

Alexios

He's continued to release builds since, he posts as "Unwinder" on Guru3D - https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/msi-ab-rtss-development-news-thread.412822/page-192
For the FPS counter, see the "How to see the FPS using Rivatuner Statistics Server" section
For some of them you might need to enable the stats from RTSS(accessible from Afterburner).
Derp, thanks. I must have found that show in OSD setting only the first time I used the program and then completely missed it even though I used the similar show in tray thing for the temps. Any way to make it only show the fps and not the api used, now it says ie VULKAN 60 etc.

Edit: ok so to get just the fps you have to actually not enable on the MSI AB side as I wrote above and make sure you (in addition to the usual show ODS and fps etc settings as you want) enable the "show own statistics" thing on the RTSS side. Weird conflicts of options but hurray.

Last edited:
Top Bottom