• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MSNBC: If your kid plays HALO make sure he doesnt have a problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

truly101

I got grudge sucked!
Was the Batman shooter a video game player? I don't think he was. You'd think that would pretty much shit on that theory.

Was the Batman shooter a video game player? I don't think he was. You'd think that would pretty much shit on that theory.

They were too obsessed with him dressing up as the Joker, you know with his bright orange hair...just like the Joker who has bright Green hair.

Derrick01

Banned
Screw scientific evidence, it's what I think. There isn't scientific evidence to prove the opposite either, or do you have it?

I said they "can" influence, not do.

I think your comment can cause severe brain damage to everyone in the area. I'm not saying it does, just that it can. There's no scientific evidence to prove otherwise, or do you have it?

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
My favorite response to this (from PoliGAF's favorite site):

The “Halo” games have sold 50 million copies worldwide. Microsoft estimates that people collectively have spent five billion hours playing them. Violent crime has been declining for 40 years and mass shootings are no more common now than they used to be. I’d bet that, if anything, video games reduce violent crime by providing an innocuous outlet for thrill-seeking. But who cares? The point of Do Something isn’t to craft a policy response carefully tailored to why Lanza and other rampage killers did what they did and how they did it. It’s to throw whatever you can think of at the problem and see what sticks culturally and legislatively, no matter how many innocent people might be snared by your “solution.” Lanza evidently loved violent video games. So do millions of kids who, unlike him, don’t have severe mental problems. But isn’t hassling your perfectly normal 12-year-old over “Call of Duty” a small price to pay for maybe possibly kinda sorta reducing the odds of a school shooting by an infinitesimally marginal amount? If you care about Sandy Hook, then the answer can only be yes. You do care, don’t you?

That quote makes sense. If your child is retreating from family/friends and playing in isolation you should be concerned. It doesn't mean Halo is to blame, but it may mean that your child may have issues forming relationships in the real world which is a problem.

Zomba13

Yes, Halo is the one to make you go crazy. You'll bust out your door and look for the nearest space alien to shoot!

Come on media, seriously. Those guns don't even exist. Now if your kid is trying to form plasma weapons in the garage, the you should be worried.

I dunno. Having a good supply of plasma grenades would do good when the covenant start invading...

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Kids should not be playing 3 hours of video games, violent or not. America, churning out the next gen of under employed burger flippers.

Screw scientific evidence, it's what I think. There isn't scientific evidence to prove the opposite either, or do you have it?
I've read about the studies that went out to try and prove that video games made kids killers and they showed that nothing of the sort happened. I'd have to do some digging to find them because searching pulls up all the sensationalist articles instead but the quickest recommendation I can give you is an episode of Penn and Teller.

bad parenting:
article-2072391-0802240jzr.jpg

If you think that is good parenting...

I've read about the studies that went out to try and prove that video games made kids killers and they showed that nothing of the sort happened. I'd have to do some digging to find them because searching pulls up all the sensationalist articles instead but the quickest recommendation I can give you is an episode of Penn and Teller.

I didn't care for any scientific evidence, it was just my opinion, I wasn't generalizing either. Check the post I was replying to, I never stated anything was proven, just speaking my mind like everyone else here.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Yup, parents should watch out that their kid doensn't hijack a banshee and spray plasma shots aided by a fuel rod bomb onto people. Cops won't be able to make a difference because of his Hardlight Shield and Special Forces won't be able to sneak up on your kid because he'll use Promethean Vision and wait for them around corners with a charged up boltshot.

spree killers are always cheap fucks.

slightly related, most of my deaths in halo multi are related to my popping out from behind a corner and letting off my charged boltshot wildly far from the target. gives em a fright, but is otherwise ineffective.

My sister in-law let's her 7 year old son play the Halo's, Call of Duty's and pretty much any Rated M game out there. She says "well he plays it all the time at his babysitter's house(the babysitter also has a 7 year old son) so what am I supposed to do when he gets home? Not let him play those games?" Yeah! Those games are Rated M for a fucking reason. I would never let my son play these games until he hits the age requirement for the specified game. People's logic sometimes just baffles me.

Volimar

My sister in-law let's her 7 year old son play the Halo's, Call of Duty's and pretty much any Rated M game out there. She says "well he plays it all the time at his babysitter's house(the babysitter also has a 7 year old son) so what am I supposed to do when he gets home? Not let him play those games?" Yeah! Those games are Rated M for a fucking reason. I would never let my son play these games until he hits the age requirement for the specified game. People's logic sometimes just baffles me.

My nephew is 12 and his friends have Call of Duty and Grand theft auto, etc. His best friend Ethan went to the launch day for black ops 2 with his dad. Jesus...

stuminus3

Banned
I'm going to take a crazy stab in the dark and say you don't have a kid, or at least one who is 10+.

slit

Yeah, I heard this yesterday. It seems to be news filler. The media is looking for an angle and they throw out anything that might stick . Not to mention Chris Matthews is nearly 70 and doesn't see video games as anything other than childish falderal.

Alucrid

Banned

so uh...your parents didn't let you play M rated games until you were 17?

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!

Although letting a 7 years old play Halo or Call of Duty is stupid, would you really wait until your son is over 17 years old before letting him play those games? Because that's just as stupid.

LakeEarth

My nephew is 12 and his friends have Call of Duty and Grand theft auto, etc. His best friend Ethan went to the launch day for black ops 2 with his dad. Jesus...

7-8 is pushing it, but what's wrong with 12? That seems like the age where boys would want to play those kind of games.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Libermann is speaking on the House floor now. This should be interesting.

LordCanti

Red Orchestra obviously.

If he played the original Unreal Engine mod, I can understand. Crawl Crawl Crawl get instagibbed. Crawl Crawl Crawl get instagibbed. Rinse and repeat.

Libermann is speaking on the House floor now. This should be interesting.

"I know you Republicans will never vote for anything we put forward, but damned if you're not going to feel slightly bad about it after I'm done talking!"

(I'm pro-reform, but even I realize there is a huge voting block that will never let it happen)

LordCanti

You're out of luck, wi-fi signal doesn't reach down there. You'll have to resort playing with bots, and that can actually make you go insane.

Thanks to U-Verse, the modem (with wifi) is actually stuck in the basement where the connection comes in the house from outside. Basically, everything I own is hardwired.

That's right pundits...my ping is mad low son.

I have a 9 month old son. And guess what he does reach that age where he wants to play video games, he can go ahead and play the Lego type games and what not but no way in hell is he ever gonna have/own a Rated M game before he's 17.

He'll borrow them from his friends. If you use the parental controls to keep them from working, he'll go to a friends house to play them. That's what I did.

I'm going to take a crazy stab in the dark and say you don't have a kid, or at least one who is 10+.
I have a 9 month old son. And guess what he does reach that age where he wants to play video games, he can go ahead and play the Lego type games and what not but no way in hell is he ever gonna have/own a Rated M game before he's 17.

so uh...your parents didn't let you play M rated games until you were 17?
I really don't remember the age where I played my first M rated game so I can't give you a concrete answer to that question.
Although letting a 7 years old play Halo or Call of Duty is stupid, would you really wait until your son is over 17 years old before letting him play those games? Because that's just as stupid.
Yes I would wait til my son is 17. Question-why do you think its stupid of me to wait till my son is of age for the appropriate rated games? M rated is for 17+..so naturally my son is going to wait until then.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
7-8 is pushing it, but what's wrong with 12? That seems like the age where boys would want to play those kind of games.

They are rated M for a reason. Virtual murder with assault rifles is probably not healthy for a 12 year old. I'd say maybe 20+ when the Prefrontal Cortex is more fully developed.

teeny

I really don't remember the age where I played my first M rated game so I can't give you a concrete answer to that question.

Yes I would wait til my son is 17. Question-why do you think its stupid of me to wait till my son is of age for the appropriate rated games? M rated is for 17+..so naturally my son is going to wait until then.

Not everything is rated evenly, in my opinion, and I guess that is going to be the crux of the argument against you. I don't have children, and won't for the foreseeable future, but I imagine that a lot of it is to do with the intellect and maturity of your son as well. Still, it is your call to make, and I think other people should understand that there is nothing wrong with sticking to the ratings. That is, after all, why they are there.

Just as an aside to blaming video games, I am honestly shocked at what I find when I go to the Toys R Us website and search for "gun". I was 10 when Columbine happened, and I took it on myself to destroy every gun-toy I had at that point. I think, since then, I only every used water pistols to play with. Why does no one ever talk about the gun section in toy shops affecting the really young? I guess its because it is easier to create a moral panic about something like video games.

Agnostic

but believes in Chael
If you watch cable news all day...you've definitely GOT a problem.
I have been watching a shitload of cable news since Friday. It just so happens that I had a minor foot operation on Friday and haven't moved from my couch very much. I'm going to buy Far Cry 3 now that the bandages can come off and I can drive. The next 8 hours of me playing Far Cry 3 will bring me back to civilization after absorbing all of the shit I've been watching on cable news.

I just think in 17 years from now my son will have a vast array of video games to play..he doesn't need to play these kinds of games where he comes and tells me "daddy I just murdered 30+ people in a video game and loved it!"

SeanR1221

That quote makes sense. If your child is retreating from family/friends and playing in isolation you should be concerned. It doesn't mean Halo is to blame, but it may mean that your child may have issues forming relationships in the real world which is a problem.

Pretty much this. These threads always get so salty.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
The problem is probably that his shitty parents don't want to actually raise him, and let the TV/video game do it for them. Regulate your kid's gaming, and don't keep the systems in the basement, you idiots.

Sit down with your kid and chat with them often. Ask them how life is going. Take an interest in their life. Get involved. When they want to play games, go watch them play, and ask them about it. Watch them play and not judge. Find out why they like it so much. My parents did it, and I think it's one of the smartest things they ever did.

When you're a parent, your life is secondary, and theirs is primary. What's going on in theirs is more important than what is going on in yours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom