• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Multiplayer Steam gifts to play with ex-gamer friends.

Crayon

I feel like I don’t call people often enough. Maybe someone can relate.

Like many of you, I am the video game czar among my friends. While we all played games together growing up, I’m the one who had the passion that carried on into adulthood. This thread is about using games to reach out to those old friends who we don’t call often enough. I want to reach out to people, and gift them games to play with me so we can have an excuse to chat over Mumble or Teamspeak.

Everyone give your suggestions for games that can bridge the hardcore-casual gap and be easily played with anyone who has a little free time.

Here are some criteria to consider, all pertaining to maximizing accessibility to fallen gamers:

- Multiplayer. Duh.

- Low cost or commonly on sale for cheap. Considering I’m either going to be shoulder tapping ex-gamers to buy these games or outright gifting them, something like Dying Light (~$40 on sale) is unnecessarily expensive just to have a few kicks with some old friends. Cheap games are great for this. Bonus points for free games or games that sell as 4-packs.

- Steam availability. Steam really does make gaming easier. The handy friends list, patching, shopping, modding, I could go on. It’s just easier.

- Easy to play. Simple games where a player can just click “instal”l and be off having fun is important. It’s hard to have a chat when you are trying to talk someone thru complex setups or strategies. And it’s much easier to call someone up for a game that can be enjoyed for 30-120 minutes than a hefty investment like say... Civilization.

- Mac compatibility. Lot’s of people, especially non- gamers, have macs. Linux would be great, too but Linux users are uncommon and tend to be able to “make it work”.

- Low system requirements. Many many people have laptops with integrated graphics, which we know can play plenty of really fun games but may struggle with heavier games. Newer cpus can actually to 3d pretty well, but many people are rockin 3 or 4 year old laptops so let’s keep it light on the silicon.

- Plays good with keyboard and mouse. Lots of people don’t have a controller kicking around the house. And even if they do, the can’t be bothered fiddling with it to get it set up. If a game doesn’t play well with keyboard and mouse, then skip it. Bonus points for games that can be played effectively with a laptop’s trackpad or keyboard only!

- Optionally, games that are “throwbacks” to or clones of games we used to play when we were younger. Makes them more approachable and grants bonus nostalgia.

To start, Here’s a few suggestions of games that I could play with a person who maybe hasn’t played a game in years and have a good time:

Murder Miners

This is a re-creation of Halo in a Minecraft like engine. Undeniably fun and fuss-free fragging. It even has 4 way split screen if in case anyone visits.

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/274900/

maxresdefault.jpg

Hammerwatch

Have some Gauntlet, you crusty, over the hill so-and-so’s! Tough but not too tough. Cute but not too cute. Two-button gameplay.

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/239070/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_3

Typefighters

Bttle i tout wiht yuor typing skills,

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/434290/?snr=1_7_7_230_150_4

Team Fortress 2

You need to have at least an okay computer to run this, but it’s free and built for fun.

Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/app/440/?snr=1_7_7_151_150_1

I actually am just going to start this close-to-home social experiement as I have an old friend who is going thru hell and needs support from those of us who are not geographically in able to be present physically. On top of that… it’s the kind of situation where there’s just no words. We just have to be together. So I set up a Mumble server and I’m making an effort to get the old gang together on Steam, the way we used to on the couch back when life was simpler.

C’mon, Gaf. Show me those games that can bridge the gap between our hardcore gaming selves and casual gaming friends!

I'd also like to hear any gaffers stories about trying to reach out to people in this way.

Love you, GAF. Always remember what's really important.

hymanator

I had a lot of fun playing Left for Dead 1 & 2 with my uncle, aunt, and wife. We played a really cool user mod that allowed you to play an entire co-op campaign in Disneyland. I love games like that, since you can act as a bodyguard to any casual players on your team.

Crayon

I had a lot of fun playing Left for Dead 1 & 2 with my uncle, aunt, and wife. We played a really cool user mod that allowed you to play an entire co-op campaign in Disneyland. I love games like that, since you can act as a bodyguard to any casual players on your team.

Disney land whaaaaaaaaaat....

Thank you I think I know exactly where we'll be starting now.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
sonic racing transformed. Regularly on sale for 5, four pack is 18 or so when on sale.

Red Faction Guerilla, also regularly 5 or less. This one also supports lan play if you can ever manage that.

Crayon

Personally for multiplayer games, I recommend Duck Game,Speedrunners and Screencheat. Both games run pretty decently on lower end systems and are a ton of fun especially with friends. They're found pretty cheap as well.

Okay okay. I'm looking at screencheat now. And I have to say I love the main promo video on the store page. I actually rigged screen dividers on multiple occasions with the very people I'm talking about in the op when we were kids.

kevin1025

Banned
Personally for multiplayer games, I recommend Duck Game,Speedrunners and Screencheat. Both games run pretty decently on lower end systems and are a ton of fun especially with friends. They're found pretty cheap as well.

Duck Game is always a perfect choice!!

dzelly

Gang Beasts is relatively inexpensive, low system requirements and allows a ton of players. It's also amazing.

Top Bottom