• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Murphy Bed promotional song may be the most racist thing I've seen in a long time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jme

Jennifer Murphy Beds thought that releasing this song to promote their product would be a good idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y9_cyNuctug

It's just bad up until about the 1 minute mark when it becomes racist.
I can't wait for the "hilarious video" they are filming for this song...

Chop me down if old?

EDIT:
Video was removed, here's her cookie-cutter "apology"
Dear Everyone,

I did a song in front of a group of friends that was meant to be silly and self-deprecating, and I posted it last April and received comments from friends and strangers that it was funny.

It is obvious that I had bad judgment and didn’t understand that my attempt at humor would be seen as insensitive or mean-spirited, and I have removed the video from my channels.

I want to be a person who is positive and uplifting to others. Clearly in this instance, this has not been the case, and I have learned a valuable lesson.

I sincerely apologize to every person that has felt pain and offence because of me, and I ask their forgiveness.

Sincerely,
Jennifer Murphy

If you want to endure this cringe some more here's a mirror: https://streamable.com/vb30

Cade

8gWOqgA.png

The look on the Asian woman's face in the crowd when that chorus drops lol. She tries to laugh it off a couple times, but most of the song you can tell she is not amused by what is happening in front of her.

joe2187

Banned
The one asian person in attendence was center for the entire performance...I feel that was intentional on the cameramans part.

The look on her face is constantly "What the fuck am i doing here"

bjork

Every time I see something like this, I hope it's onion or something. But nope, someone thought this was a good idea.

The worst part is whenever she inevitably gets called out, she'll probably use that woman as an example of "She's Asian and didn't get offended!" just because that lady probably didn't speak up about it.

Singing a promotional song about mattresses in front of a live audience would be embarrassing enough even if it wasn't entirely composed of ignorance.

Wallach

My brain couldn't really process this video. Jen has a new song? But Jen sells beds. She reveals her new song at some kind of media party complete with a tiny photo wall. What? Now she's singing to a small group her bizarre shit about ninjas. She sells beds. Someone help.

obin_gam

My brain couldn't really process this video. Jen has a new song? But Jen sells beds. She reveals her new song at some kind of media party complete with a tiny photo wall. What? Now she's singing to a small group her bizarre shit about ninjas. She sells beds. Someone help.

Yeah, someone explain who this person is.

kunonabi

I burst out laughing at the chorus. What did this have to do with selling beds? She even had the gall to walk up right in front of the Asian woman during it too.

jay

It totally makes sense for English speakers to mock how Japanese speakers pronounce a Japanese word.

Oh, she has connections to Trump. That makes sense.

apprentice4ep5story.jpg

Wikipedia said:
Murphy appeared on the fourth season of The Apprentice. Murphy was "fired" in week 6, along with three others, for being involved in one of the worst defeats in the show's history. The following day, Trump called Murphy and made an offer to hire her even though she didn't win the title of "The Apprentice". After considering two different positions, one in Real Estate and one with The Miss Universe Organization, she declined and instead moved to L.A. to pursue entertainment. Murphy first spoke to Trump about the possibility of appearing on his show when she was competing at the Miss USA pageant.

The pageant is part of the Miss Universe Organization which is owned by Trump. In the New York Times, Trump referred to Jennifer Murphy as "One of the most beautiful women I have ever seen."

mrklaw

MrArseFace
It totally makes sense for English speakers to mock how Japanese speakers pronounce a Japanese word.

It's extra funny when they randomly mix in Chinese references, because hey, they all look the same right?

Other than her youtube channel looking really bloody strange (what's with all the batman underwear?), the way this is shot just feels like it's a missing scene for curb your enthusiasm. Is it possible that this is deliberate? Surely that Asian woman at the front isn't there by accident?

UnLemon

Neo Member
This is very obviously an attempt at getting views/attention by being intentionally terrible/controversial ("Friday" anyone?). Let's not give it any more views.

Everything about this is profoundly confusing.

How does it sell beds?
How does anyone applaud that other than to try to save her the embarrassment she deserves?
How do you perform that with pride?
How do you survive being in the room? Watching it second-hand was hard enough!
Why?

Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom