• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama announced for Steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well that is just confusing since the claim thread states no more than seven days..

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=468233

-Don't post your official thread more than seven days prior to its game's release

yea, technically 8 days right now :p

Available: November 5
This game will unlock in approximately 6 days and 8 hours

No bigs, mods will reopen closer to launch. I guess consider it a sneak preview. Any feedback? Busted ass on it but I am sure there are mistakes somewhere.

shockdude

Yeah the appearance of an OT made me think the game was coming out tomorrow.
Oh well, another week it is. Those launch prices are really tempting.

That OT rule inconsistency should definitely be addressed though.

The OT timing rule change was a little over a year ago, but apparently there are a few places where it hasn't been updated. That thread you linked seems to be one of them. The update date on the Etiquette thread I linked has been updated more recently, so policy outlined there takes priority.

Anyway, no big deal. Just PM Aeana or another mod if the thread isn't unlocked on release day. You can bring up the inconsistency in the written rules over PM as well.

No bigs, mods will reopen closer to launch. I guess consider it a sneak preview. Any feedback? Busted ass on it but I am sure there are mistakes somewhere.

Talking about the definition of loops might be a bit confusing since this game does not have loops.

Also, this is not the first official translation - that would be the iOS version. If it helps, here is the translated story from there: http://imgur.com/a/vlimF

Nzyme32

Yeah, the OT being posted confused me. Generally OTs go up the day before or on the day that the product gets released

Apologies for any confusion. I didn't bother asking since it seemed clearly stated. Of course I would blunder my first OT. Siiigh.

Talking about the definition of loops might be a bit confusing since this game does not have loops.

Also, this is not the first official translation - that would be the iOS version. If it helps, here is the translated story from there: http://imgur.com/a/vlimF

Oh man! Good call on the iOS port. Totally slipped my mind, will definitely rework that.

As far as the loops, yeah, I debated that as well. I thought the tone being more about shmups in general might carry through but agree it could be confusing. I'll slot a different, more appropriate, term in there.

LiK

Apologies for any confusion. I didn't bother asking since it seemed clearly stated. Of course I would blunder my first OT. Siiigh.

Oh man! Good call on the iOS port. Totally slipped my mind, will definitely rework that.

As far as the loops, yeah, I debated that as well. I thought the tone being more about shmups in general might carry through but agree it could be confusing. I'll slot a different, more appropriate, term in there.

no sweat, it'll be unlocked later.

Thanks for pointing out the inconsistency in that post. We've fixed that to avoid future confusion. Just PM me the day before the game unlocks and I'll open up the thread again.

Whoa! That OT thread is *amazing*. Here's a more recent version of the logo if you'd like to use it.

GFQ5Qd3.png

Almost forgot: there will be a few preview events for Mushihimesama coming up.

Tomorrow (11/1) at 3 PM EST there will be a Mushihimesama demo hosted by shmup experts STGWeekly:

http://www.twitch.tv/stgweekly

There will probably be another preview later on in the middle of the week, just before launch (TBA).

Stop by and get an early look at the game!

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to be that guy:

Any news on a GOG release?

I'll buy it either way, or on both if need be (I've already bought the game 3 times, so rationality is out the window), but it'd be cool to have it DRM free.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Really hope plenty of people/shmup fans will put money where their mouth is after years of asking and won't just all resort to waiting for a Steam sale.

Btw, Mushihimesama iOS (Bug Princess) is currently free for the first time ever, and Futari (Bug Princess 2) is also on sale for the 1st time for $0.99! I've usually paid upwards of $15 for Cave's fantastic iOS re-imagined ports, those two are a hell of a gift to celebrate Cave's first Steam release!

It's worth repeating, but I think Mushi Futari (with it's black label counterpart) is the best shmup ever.

It is simply perfection for nearly all skill levels.

Never before have shmups been this well designed or polished. Stage 5 in Futari, I don't even know how many things in the world are better than that, but it's not many.

The original Mushi is no slouch either. It is a fun and well designed survival challenge, though not a game I'd play for score. I'm super excited to finally play the Matsuri edition, which seems like it makes the scoring systems so much better.

Ninja Dom

Really hope plenty of people/shmup fans will put money where their mouth is after years of asking and won't just all resort to waiting for a Steam sale.

Btw, Mushihimesama iOS (Bug Princess) is currently free for the first time ever, and Futari (Bug Princess 2) is also on sale for the 1st time for $0.99! I've usually paid upwards of $15 for Cave's fantastic iOS re-imagined ports, those two are a hell of a gift to celebrate Cave's first Steam release!

The OT fails to mention that Bug Princess, Bug Princess 2 and Bug Princess 2 Black Label have been available on iOS for 3 years now. All programmed and published by Cave themselves. And all three are very competent versions of the arcade.

The OT fails to mention that Bug Princess, Bug Princess 2 and Bug Princess 2 Black Label have been available on iOS for 3 years now. All programmed and published by Cave themselves. And all three are very competent versions of the arcade.

Well, they are sort of comparable, but sort of not.

For what it's worth, I chase a lot of 1 Credit Clears of games. I played through pretty much all of them on iOS but I don't count the iOS ports of CAVE games as the real deal. They may be good for practice on Hell Difficulty or as a fun diversion when you're out and about, but it really isn't the same thing.

You're cheating yourself if those are the only versions of the game you end up playing.

I hate to be that guy, but I'm going to be that guy:

Any news on a GOG release?

I'll buy it either way, or on both if need be (I've already bought the game 3 times, so rationality is out the window), but it'd be cool to have it DRM free.

Gog seem a bit snooty about shmups, I know they rejected Reflex, Alltynex & Kamui. Possibly Xiizeal too? I think the ball's in their court.

Tain

They have fundamentally different movement mechanics, not to mention the difficulty level changes. Generally those interested in playing and trying to clear the arcade games won't get much out of reworkings that are so different at their core.

Weevilone

They have fundamentally different movement mechanics, not to mention the difficulty level changes. Generally those interested in playing and trying to clear the arcade games won't get much out of reworkings that are so different at their core.

Agreed 100%.. The iOS ports are fun time wasters, and competent mobile games in their own right, but they aren't representative of the arcade experience.

The OT glosses over the history and the various releases quite a bit. I'm not particularly pleased with that aspect but did not want it to turn into a novel. And clearly the mobile ports are not represented at all. I'd like to get across that this is the first time the game is available in the west in its standard form, since I agree the mobile games are kind of a different beast, but too many qualifiers makes things muddy.

Fortunately I've been given a few days to mull it over.

Yo I just want everyone to know that Stage 3 is amazing and that it has the best shmup OST of all time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZFWBgAkSCVs

Speaking the word of truth over here.

The Mushihimesama preview hosted by STGWeekly starts at 3 PM EST, about half an hour from now.

http://www.twitch.tv/stgweekly

Hope to see you there!

This is true, but the iOS games aren't really the same as the original arcade version. The conversion to touch controls makes playing the iOS versions a completely different experience because it changes how quickly you can move and control the game. The iOS versions are still great games in their own right, but they compliment the arcade version rather than being new versions of it.

linid0t

It's worth repeating, but I think Mushi Futari (with it's black label counterpart) is the best shmup ever.

It is simply perfection for nearly all skill levels.

Never before have shmups been this well designed or polished. Stage 5 in Futari, I don't even know how many things in the world are better than that, but it's not many.

The original Mushi is no slouch either. It is a fun and well designed survival challenge, though not a game I'd play for score. I'm super excited to finally play the Matsuri edition, which seems like it makes the scoring systems so much better.

This post is the truth - stage 5 Futari is amazing. The music, enemy design, level design, it's a perfect finish to the game. (too bad I still can't beat the final boss though -_-)

Nice info on the stream so far. Downloadable replays from the leaderboards are confirmed as well as Steam cloud support for high scores/config etc.

Momentary

Banned
Man that one cat during the stream really hates STEAM. There are a few elitest shoot'em up players that hate the platform. I don't know why. It's breathing life back into a genre that was on it's way to the grave.

Anyway, I asked about Yotsubane and if he's bringing something else to the table anytime soon and I was met with a pretty good response from Blackbird. I'm excited.

Also CAVE will pretty much pump out their games on STEAM as long as people purchase their products. They have another game to announce in December from what I gathered during that stream.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Man that one cat during the stream really hates STEAM. There are a few elitest shoot'em players hate the platform. I don't know why. It's breathing life back into a genre that was on it's way to the grave.

I mean, I get it. I really prefer to buy games DRM-free, and I don't particularly think there's any benefit to a game having Steam's DRM. But at the same time, one has to acknowledge that for the downsides it has, it's the sole reason why Japanese games have even started coming to the PC in the first place.

Dude was mad salty.

Man that one cat during the stream really hates STEAM. There are a few elitest shoot'em players hate the platform. I don't know why. It's breathing life back into a genre that was on it's way to the grave.

I probably know who you mean. (Although it could be someone else but at the shmups forums there is a resident Steam hater.)

I am actually VERY pro DRM-free since I read that gifts on Steam are called "gift subscriptions". And for this kind of game I could really use DRM-free versions I can carry around knowing they don't require Internet and should work properly without Steam.

Hoping that'll be the case for Mushi or, eventually, hoping it gets a DRM-free version at Humble Bundle or GOG. Shame if it won't happen but I'll be still getting it on Steam to spread the word of STG. I mean, like it was said above, Steam it's the very reason these games are coming to PC. It gives japanese devs a "cushion" and sense of security that didn't exist on the platform years ago, where it was Free Range, for all the wrong reasons, Thunder Force V-style.

Anyway, I'm stoked for this release, 5th can't come fast enough but I'm also eagerly waiting for Darius Burst, jeez. Just please put up a store page for that one already!

There are plenty of valid criticisms of valve and steam. Referring to people as valvedrones isn't the best approach. Shame it slightly derailed an overall great time.

Momentary

Banned
I wish I could just go ahead and pay for this game now. My card has almost melted from the heat my wallet is generating.

There was someone on a shmups group on Facebook who was trying to say that anyone buying this game at $15 to "support Cave" was being ripped off and that this was the most expensive port of Mushihimesama ever. It was hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom