• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mushihimesama announced for Steam!

Status
Not open for further replies.

danmaku

Gx3Qnil.jpg

Ready to triple dip!

WOOT, I was hoping would be Mushi HD as I don't have the 360 port that was region locked. $20 is a steal considering it's price on 360 especially the highly sought after pre order DLC.

These are games that you can spend hundreds of hours over a number of months and years, learning & mastering the game for a good highscore or that coveted 1CC, start with one of the easier modes and progress onto the more challenging modes

kaioshade

You're probably thinking of Mushihimesama Futari

Most likely.

Although with as much as the mistake has been made in this thread, I REALLY hope that confusion is cleared up, as some sales might be lost if some people already think they have already purchased it.

Yeah, lots of confusion with the sequel, even on bigger sites. Maybe we should have titled it "Bug Princess" after all ^_^;.

@Smite There are several soundtracks in the game right now. I know Original and Special Arrange are in. 1.5 soundtrack presumably comes with the 1.5 DLC as well (I have this option on my test build).

I don't know about the Double Arrange - it's a compilation of multiple composers so I don't know if it'll be added.

LiK

Yeah, lots of confusion with the sequel, even on bigger sites. Maybe we should have titled it "Bug Princess" after all ^_^;.

@Smite There are several soundtracks in the game right now. I know Original and Special Arrange are in. 1.5 soundtrack presumably comes with the 1.5 DLC as well (I have this option on my test build).

I don't know about the Double Arrange - it's a compilation of multiple composers so I don't know if it'll be added.

Nah, literal translation of the title "Bug Princess" is an awful title. I'm too used to the Japanese title anyway lol

kaioshade

Nah, Bug Princess is an awful title. I'm too used to the Japanese title anyway lol

Agreed. Keep Mushihimesama.

The public will just have to be educated. As much as it is needed.

And for anyone who is saying the price is too high, I'm buying 3 extra copies for GAF members when it drops. Usual giveaway and so on.

Thanks, but sorry, I meant as the separate purchase DLC, not what is in the game.

Shizuka

Degica, will the ports be exclusive to Steam? I'll probably buy every single one of them, but since Muv Luv is getting ports for other platforms, I can't help but wonder if it's a possibility going forward.

Why not do what the Resident Evil series does on Steam?

Resident Evil / Biohazard HD remaster
Resident Evil 6 / Biohazard 6
Etc

Bug Princess / Mushihimesama?

Mushihimesama / Bug Princess, better this way around.

You'll make a lot of OCD people in the Steam thread angry with ideas like that.

Free PR :)

bug princess sounds like a joke title tbh. I don't like it.

Loads of iphone users know the games as Bug Princess 1 & 2 who may not realise Mushi is the same game.

Incest ... I mean Insect Princess is the best name of all :p

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Oooh, maybe now the price for the 360 version will go lower (I know it's only like ~$30 right now, I'm cheap okay). I'm happy about this but I'm primarily a console gamer so, y'know. Actually got my 360 primarily for Cave shmups and only have Deathsmiles and Akai Katana so far. Really need to get to building up the collection.

BOTEC

"Mushihimesama/Bug Princess" are both equally useless titles. They also only address the anime girl on the cover who is quite irrelevant to the whole proceedings. They should have called the game "Golden Beetle Of Justice."

Oooh, maybe now the price for the 360 version will go lower (I know it's only like ~$30 right now, I'm cheap okay). I'm happy about this but I'm primarily a console gamer so, y'know. Actually got my 360 primarily for Cave shmups and only have Deathsmiles and Akai Katana so far. Really need to get to building up the collection.

Mushihimesama HD (without the ver1.5 preorder / Ltd Ed DLC) is about $60 for the 360 and region locked to Japan/Asia consoles only, You must be thinking of the sequel Mushihimesama Futari which is region free and $30

Shaneus

I have another idea for this release (if it's possible): what would be the chances of getting some decent CRT-esque filters for this? I assume the OG arcade was using CRTs, an in-game option for this would be pretty rad too.

Coda

I have another idea for this release (if it's possible): what would be the chances of getting some decent CRT-esque filters for this? I assume the OG arcade was using CRTs, an in-game option for this would be pretty rad too.

I'd rather have 240p output via component to a real CRT. Probably not gonna happen. I do play this already via emulation. Some special build of MAME for Mac. I just never figured out how to output it to component. MacBook video inputs are always so complicated and probably could never go down to 240p res.

Shaneus

I'd rather have 240p output via component to a real CRT. Probably not gonna happen. I do play this already via emulation. Some special build of MAME for Mac. I just never figured out how to output it to component. MacBook video inputs are always so complicated and probably could never go down to 240p res.
I doubt there would be an option between the two, especially considering one requires very specific (and likely expensive) hardware and the other doesn't.

Risette

A Good Citizen
there are cards that can natively output 240p but you could just run the games at 640x480 nearest neighbor through VGA and use a downscaler like an extron emotia

So... uh... is this game fun or just hard? I kinda tend to prefer shmups that aren't a complete ordeal. I guess I should skip this one.

This game kinda sits in between an old school and bullet hell shmup. It's actually on the fairly easy side as far as these sorts of things go. It's beatable by anyone with a bit of practice.

So... uh... is this game fun or just hard? I kinda tend to prefer shmups that aren't a complete ordeal. I guess I should skip this one.

Fun and hard. If hardcore bullet hell isn't your thing the game has variable difficulties, the easiest of which is still plenty challenging but not at the level you'd see if you googled 'mushihimesama ultra'

Dachande

Great, excellent choice of game to start with.

My only concern is that as it's based on the 360 version of the game, that the graphics used would be those versions of the sprites. That I really wouldn't be cool with - I want the arcade 240p sprites. The whole point is that these should be as close to the original arcade versions as possible with additional accessibility options (such as Yoko modes), not a port of a port with PC options. Authenticity is one of the most important selling points!

Risette

A Good Citizen
Great, excellent choice of game to start with.

My only concern is that as it's based on the 360 version of the game, that the graphics used would be those versions of the sprites. That I really wouldn't be cool with - I want the arcade 240p sprites. The whole point is that these should be as close to the original arcade versions as possible with additional accessibility options (such as Yoko modes), not a port of a port with PC options. Authenticity is one of the most important selling points!
they're pre rendered sprites so just downscale it? the hand drawn backgrounds are still in 240p

no no no no, keep the original title.

@MUWANdo

Banned
I'd be fine with "Mushihimesama: Bug Princess" if it made the game easier to find/search for people who can't remember the title or don't know Japanese.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktKJu_mWatY

Was watching this video to get a feel for the type of game it is and I immediately noticed the music.

Wow! That music is so good though.

Maybe it is just my ears loving the nostalgia trip I get from this type of sound. The composers were truly talented back then.

Now you see why I am pushing to get all the soundtracks easily available! I have a feeling only the original is going to be on Steam. Degica, pls.

McNum

Mushihimesama is quite the word to spell right for a search. Honestly, until I saw the Bug Princess translation for the name, I wouldn't have any idea on how to spell it. "Mushi (Bug) + Hime (Princess) + Sama (Honorific)", right?

So, it might be good to have the Bug Princess bit as a subtitle for Steam. At least that's easier to search for as someone who don't speak Japanese.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
If you can't spell or figure out how to get to Mushihimesama, you probably weren't somebody who would consider buying it in the first place.

Shaneus

So I just had a quick go of this on iOS (and the sequel) in both "normal" and "hell" modes, and made it through about 6 stages on the former and 2-3 on the latter (on one credit). So while the patterns and controls may not be the same on PC, it's really not super difficult to get into for those who are worried about difficulty.

Been a while since I played them, had forgotten how satisfying they were.

mdsfx

So I just had a quick go of this on iOS (and the sequel) in both "normal" and "hell" modes, and made it through about 6 stages on the former and 2-3 on the latter (on one credit). So while the patterns and controls may not be the same on PC, it's really not super difficult to get into for those who are worried about difficulty.

Been a while since I played them, had forgotten how satisfying they were.

Playing this on ios vs PC is wildly different. The ios version allows you to move as fast as you want. That makes it substantially easier.

Coda

there are cards that can natively output 240p but you could just run the games at 640x480 nearest neighbor through VGA and use a downscaler like an extron emotia

Thanks for the tip I'll look into that. I do have a VGA to my Mac converter (I also have it dual booted for Windows too). Would the game have to have an original vs HD option to make it good though?

jonjonaug

Mushihimesama and its sequel actually have three modes of play. "Original" is fairly easy for a shmup, it's still difficult but clearable by anyone with a bit of practice. "Maniac" has more bullets and a scoring system that takes more effort to manage, although the bullets tend to be easier to avoid. "Ultra" is the hardest mode with a ridiculous amount of bullets, although your hitbox has been reduced to a single pixel to compensate for this.

All three modes offer fulfilling experiences on their own. This release should have a "Novice" mode as well that can be played in conjunction with any of the game modes, although in my experience (I haven't played this game in particular), Novice mode in Cave's console ports translates to "insultingly easy" so it's not actually that much fun unless you're really really really bad at these sorts of games.

Shaneus

Playing this on ios vs PC is wildly different. The ios version allows you to move as fast as you want. That makes it substantially easier.
Yeah, that's what I figured and was trying to take that into account when giving my impression. With regular controls it will be quite a deal harder, but it was enough to give me the idea of how it will be on PC with a proper controller.

Time to contemplate buying a PS360+. For some reason they're $60AUD in Australia when akishop is still selling them for $60USD.

Coda

Just bought an Extron Super Emotia II & IIGX Module which can do component video. I'm stoked.

EDIT: I guess this doesn't do 240p. :( Guess I'll have to cancel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom