• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MVP 2005. Which version you buying to play online?

Mrbob

I want to get some feedback on who is buying which version for MVP 2005. This is one game where I'm not sure it matters between PS2 and Xbox as for which one to buy. I'm leaning towards the Xbox version right now but if enough people grab the PS2 version I may grab it instead.

Fifty

Xbox, always Xbox now. If I buy it. Last year it had to be PS2, and it wasn't that bad (but only because I could connect with matrix and lose to the stros 250 times)...despite not being able to have lagless games with the vast majority of people. I'm still not sure if I'll be buying a baseball game this year. I trust VC now about as much as I'd trust a pimp with my first born daughter, and I'm still unsure of EA's netcode for games other than Madden....we shall see how it plays out. I'll certainly not buy it on day 1.

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Of course for the xbox booby and sssssh Fifty you will buy a copy of MVP baseball and enjoy losing.

Mrbob

BTW I officially call the CUBS right now if there is league play. I get stuck with shitty Chicago teams in other sports games I WANT TO USE A GOOD CHICAGO TEAM FOR ONCE.

But I'm getting ahead of myself. We all know there won't be league play in any non Madden game.

Bog

Junior Ace
Xdude. I'd call the Red Sox again like I did last year (for the tourney that never happened), but I'd probably be called "cheap".

Joe

is mvp 2005 going to have the same gameplay as 2004? i can borrow 2004 from a friend so that will help me with 2005 but if its going to be a different game its not worth it.

Ramirez

Why would you want 2004?

edit-

Nevermind it's 05...how long does it take Outpost to ship games to you?If it's weeks then its no deal :lol

Mrbob

I'm going to be honest with you guys. After seeing the stellar MLB 2006 videos I may pass over MVP and get MLB instead. MVP looks like a tweak update. MLB looks like the real deal. Good god it is on PS2 and it smokes MVP in animation. Plus it ripped off MVPs stellar pitching system. And it looks much more authentic overall. I'm not impressed by the new MVP 2005 videos at all.

Outpost.com has MLB for $24.99, maybe I'll get them both. MVP for offline and MLB for the franchise.

Create a ballpark looks cool in MVP though:

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/ea2005/

MLB 2006 vids here:

http://media.sports.ign.com/articles/585/585571/vids_1.html

you would turn your back on the GA sports crowd bob? for that, the thrashing i was to give you in madden will now be increased 10-fold. only then will you see what a horrible mistake it would be to purchase mlb 2005 ps2 over mvp 2005 xbox. only then...

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
Guys I'm with Bob,MLB 2006 looks like the game to get next to mvp...I love leagues,but I just cant fork over another $20 for a piece of shit product.

DMczaf

Matrix said:
Guys I'm with Bob

middle_finger.jpg

Mrbob

I'm still buying MVP Xbox to play online, but have you guys ripping on MLB 2006 actually seen the videos? It's the first baseball game that animates like a real game. Watch the models as they dive for balls, throw for balls, throw in the ball after a cattch, throw a double play, make a tag at 2nd base on a steal. It looks amazing. The models look better in MLB as well. I watched some MVP 2005 videos last night and the models in MVP look cartoony in comparison. Not only that the animation in MVP 2005 looks stiff compared to MLB 2006. The pitching system in MLB 2006 looks the close to MVPs system too. Triple Play was a joke franchise until it got reinvented last year. So why can't MLB - which has been the only consistently decent 989 sports game - do the same and be the champ with MLB 2006? When a Cubs fan and Asstros fan agree on something you know it might actually be true. :lol

Ramirez

Well I don't really care about single player so Im still goin with MVP on the Xbox.Plus my experiences with PS2 Online have been less than good :p

The animation does look good,but other than that it looks just like MVP...not to mention the first video I d/l I was forced to watch Omar Vizquel bat in a Giants uni,NOOOOOOOOOOO :(

Mrbob

Well I'm thinking more along the lines of MLB in addition to MVP. Since MLB 2006 is only $24.99 at outpost.com right now with free shipping.

http://shop4.outpost.com/product/4321635?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

I know some people were thinking of picking up ESPN MLB 2K5, but I'm not getting spurned on another busted budget title from VC.

ESPNNFL2K5 - Fool me once

ESPNNBA2K5 - Fool me twice

ESPNMLB2K5 - Not fooling me again

I don't care what the reviewers say for ESPNMLB2K5. They praised ESPN NFL and ESPN NBA to high heaven and both titles were broken to make them unplayable.

Scoobert

I bought MLB 2006 from Outpost, but then I found out MVP is coming out a week earlier so I preordered it for Xbox. I decided to just get two baseball games this year. Getting both $50 isn't too bad, that will do I think. Decided to support 989 a little since they are showing some serious progress.

Matrix

Got this from mvpnation.net...

Ben Brinkman:MVP 2005 introduces a bunch of new online components. You can send challenges to players with a similar ranking to yours. You can also check out the MVP 2005 leader boards for stats to help make your decision of whom to challenge.

We have both traditional tournaments and quick tournaments, which let you jump right into an online tourney. You can even use minor league teams in this, if you prefer.

You can in fact set your starting pitcher and lineup before the game begins – this is whether you play on Xbox Live, PS2, or PC – and it works pretty much the same as if you were playing an offline Exhibition game. In addition, if you want to use custom rosters, you can do so, but only in an unranked game. We thought there was too great a danger of cheating for ranked games, but we didn’t want to deprive someone of the opportunity to play an online game for fun with Babe Ruth, for example. No mini-games online for this year. You do see the opposing team’s pitching meter – we did think of removing this, but decided not to, since it is our first year on Xbox Live, and we didn’t feel it was fair to those who were new to MVP Baseball online.

We will have multiple roster updates, including one on the first day the game is available in stores.

Whooo :lol :D

As for the pitching meter you can turn that off in unraked games I believe.

I doubt my eb or gamestop will actually get it in today,if anyone does get it today,make sure to go online and test it out :)

Scoobert

Sounds good, will be picking up my preorder tomorrow. In the PC version last year you could use custom rosters and any pitcher before starting the game. Of course though it was only with a direct connection which was really great, if you could find someone. Will be nice not having to scour the different boards and chat rooms looking for someone to play.

Xbox version get!

Ramirez

I've played 2 games online...

-Ranked games are only 5 innings,this sucks,but oh well.
-Lag was noticeable in first game,although still nothing bad,2nd game however was flawless,awesome experience.

But yea,it pwnz me.

Matrix

I'm going out to get it now :) Sounds good except 5 innings for ranked games is weaksause,guess ill be playing a ton of non-ranked games.

Top Bottom