• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Animal Crossing: New Leaf data got corrupted

botty

Banned
I rang up Nintendo customer support and they were just like "Yeah, just redownload it from the eShop."

"Won't that mean I lose my save."

"I dunno, probably."

Who the fuck is running this company?

Gartooth

Really sorry to hear what happened to you OP. :(

This also makes me very worried. Sometime in the next month or so I was planning to do a system transfer from my original 3DS to my 3DS XL. Problem is that I have been playing games on both, and the only reason I want to do a system transfer now is because I'm thinking of selling my original 3DS. I've been playing a physical copy of Animal Crossing on the XL so do I run any risk of losing that save? (or any of my saves/data for that matter?)

Also because I have so much data between the two 3DS's, I also plan to (after doing the system transfer) move both system's data to a 16 GB SD card, hope that doesn't cause any issues.

Try backing up your shit on your comp, redownloading the game on one of your cards, then putting the shit on your comp back onto the SD card.

EDIT: Reformat the SD card you do this with after backing it up, BTW.

EDIT2: Seems like an issue with the system data itself, though, so there might not be anything you can do.

I went back and forth on deciding to start a new village because I didn't like the layout (despite having Genji!). Going back to my old save data worked during the day of, but the next day I was no longer able to return.

SuperSah

Banned
When I transferred my data from the default 2GB card to a 8GB Transcend SDHC, all went well, game has been performing excellently.

I'm not too sure what could have went wrong with OP's save.

mantidor

Nightmare scenario really, sorry OP.

I'm 90 hours in, I would lose... something, for sure. I'm also digital since is the only way I could get the game, but I really wished I could have gotten retail.

javac

I've had a micro SD in a SD adapter in my 3DS since launch. Always freaks new out that it'll go kaput one day for some reason.

PetrCobra

Did anybody else in this thread read all those post about the correct way to back up the save data in AC? Or are they somehow only visible to me?

I mean, I would be majorly pissed too if this happenned to me but at least the people who are yet to upgrade their SD cards might want to learn how to do it properly so that they don't lose their saves.

Brofield

It's situations I read like these that only reaffirm my decision to purchase physical games whenever at all possible.

Sorry about that OP. Only advice I can recommend is stick to physical copies until Nintendo finally gets the whole reason why we as gamers clamoured for accounts.

DedValve

Banned
I have a 16gb SD card and I'm absolutely terrified of transferring Animal Crossing for this reason.

It's one of those games where it's absolutely NECESSARY to backup your save. Why it isn't is just Nintendo being nintendo. Fucking stupid.

I would recommend that when moving cards, put the old one in the computer, copy everything, take the card out, test the card and I would assume all is sound.

Then put the copied data to the new card and see if it works, if it doesn't, then at least you should have the original card as a back up so you're not all lost.

Garland7G

Wait is this only for the digital version? I was considering upgrading my SD card soon, I have the cart version, I should be ok since it saves on the cart right?

CoLaN

As i wrote in the no region lock petition thread, i think the priority at Nintendo should be a true account system that lets people upload save data on the cloud.
I dont want to be able to play games from other regions just to lose their saves as well.

zroid

Banned
i'm... so sorry :(

the worst thing is you can backup your saves for nearly every other game, except Animal Crossing.

I would recommend that when moving cards, put the old one in the computer, copy everything, take the card out, test the card and I would assume all is sound.

Then put the copied data to the new card and see if it works, if it doesn't, then at least you should have the original card as a back up so you're not all lost.

This is exactly what I did.
The original card still gives me the same error message. It's really odd.

upandaway

It's situations I read like these that only reaffirm my decision to purchase physical games whenever at all possible.

Sorry about that OP. Only advice I can recommend is stick to physical copies until Nintendo finally gets the whole reason why we as gamers clamoured for accounts.
I could swear that AC said something about using the SD card when I played it, retail version. Is there a chance of that getting corrupted and screwing over the cart's save?

Cipherr

One of my angriest moments in gaming was having my Breath of Fire 3 save file corrupted just as I
rediscovered Teepo towards the end of the game!
I really feel for you man. Shit sucks.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
And this is but one reason why I will never buy a retail digital title....especially one where I have 86 hours invested in a month.

Three physical copies for $29 - one for each family member....thank you.

I just do not understand why the majority loves dropping $30-40 on a digital game release from anywhere, but much less Nintendo. I love Nintendo, but my limit caps out around $10, $15 in special cases until they get an account system. But all my games and their saves are safe and sound on their carts.

I would be mortified and my heart goes out to the OP.

I went digital for AC (first retail game I've bought digitally for $30+) because it's the perfect game to have digitally. No swapping game cards 2+ times a day to check into AC around whatever else I'm playing at the time on 3DS.

This save corruption has me worried, but as long as it doesn't just happen randomly I'll be ok as I don't plan on upgrading again from the 16gb SD card I have in it now as I doubt I'll ever come close to filling it as I'll mostly stick with retail releases I can sell after beating.

I'm definitely going to stop sticking my SD card in my computer to pull pictures off it though. Will have to set up a tumblr account and use that image share app I guess.

celebi23

Hey, I'm sorry to hear about your save data being corrupted. I've got some extra stuff that I was trading/giving away so, you get first crack at anything you want/need:

Furnature
Wet Road Sign
Judge's Bell
Dartboard
Hula Doll
Spinning Wheel
Kiwi Stool
Manhole Cover
Lefty Desk
Dolly
Bear Pole
Mop
Watering Trough
Exercise Bike
Balloon Bed
Shower
Tennis Table
Common Bed

Glasses
Superhero Mask
Rimmed Glasses
Monocle

Shirts
Reggae Tee
Kiddie Tee
Zipper Shirt
Flame Shirt
Mint Gingham Tee
Nebula Shirt
Misty Tank
Blue-Strip Tee
Picnic Tee
Dawn Tee
Chichi-Print Tee
No. 67 shirt
Melon Gingham Shirt
Dice Tank
Red tie-dye tank

Pants
Chino Pants
Relay Shorts
Baseball Pants (x2)

Wallpaper
Mosaic Wall
Kitchen Wall
Backgammon Wall

Hat
Fireman's Hat
Purple Knit Hat
Orange Knit Hat
Melon Hat
White Cap
Green Knit Hat
Light-Blue Cap
Blue Pom-Pom Hat
Regent Wig

Shoes
Tropical Sandals
Colorful Sneakers
Ninja Sandals
Blue Sneakers
Green Sandals
Red Boat Shoes
Zap Boots

Socks
Black Leggings
Gray Socks
Colorful Socks
Brown Socks

Helmet

Floors

Music

Gyroids
Poltergoid
Mega Plinkoid

Fossils
Megacero Torso (x2)
T. Rex Torso
Stego Torso (x2)
Diplo Neck
Ankylo Tail
Megacero Torso

Nintendo Items
Triple Red Shells
Mushroom Mural
Red Pikmin

I also have these songs if you want to catalogue them:
Agent K.K.
Aloha K.K.
Bubblegum K.K.
Forest Life
Go K.K. Rider
Imperial K.K.
K.K. Adventure
K.K. Ballad
K.K. Bazaar
K.K. Birthday
K.K. Blues
K.K. Crusin'
K.K. Country
K.K. Disco
K.K. Faire
K.K. Flamenco
K.K. Fusion
K.K. Groove
K.K. House
K.K. Jazz
K.K. Jongara
K.K. Lament
K.K. Lullaby
K.K. Mambo
K.K. Metal
K.K. Milonga
K.K. Moody
K.K. Oasis
K.K. Roackabilly
K.K. Rock
K.K. Samba
K.K. Ska
K.K. Soul
K.K. Steppe
K.K. Synth
K.K. Tango
K.K. Waltz
Marine Song 2001
Mr. K.K.
Neapolitan
Only Me
Pondering
Rockin' K.K.
Soulful K.K
Space K.K.
Spring Blossoms
Stale Cupcakes
Surfin' K.K.
The K. Funk
Two Days Ago
Wandering

I can also bring over 9 of all fruit and 9 of some perfect pears :) Just shoot me a PM if you want/need anything on my list

Totakeke

Transferred my saves before from a smaller to bigger SD card and worked fine for me as well. Sounds like the backup data is either outdated or somehow the game triggered another save before he moved the data to the larger SD card... so can't you just put in the old SD card in there? Does that not work?

cluderi

That just sucks, anyone who had this happen must be gutted (I know I would be with all the time I've sunk into this -bought digitally)

SmithnCo

That really sucks. Honestly the SD card save situation with New Leaf is kinda scary. I just wish we could make backups.

Well then. Looks like I'm not playing Animal Crossing again until I upgrade my SD card.

Incredible. Nintendo never ceases to amazing with their ineptitude.

Shahadan

Well then. Looks like I'm not playing Animal Crossing again until I upgrade my SD card.

Incredible. Nintendo never ceases to amazing with their ineptitude.

I'm sure Nintendo patented save corruption, but I transferred my save on a new SD card and had no problems.

Sucks that OP got screwed on the only game he had that couldn't be backed up.

njean777

Happened to me as well only 5 days in so I was somewhat lucky. I really hope it doesn't happen now because I have played it everyday since and it would blow if it happened.

corn_fest

If this happened to me I'd be bitching at their customer support until I got a refund.
Disabling backups for this, the one game that most needs it, is such a dick move.

Schnei871

This just happened to me. I switched up to a 32 and me and my gf lost 40 hours in animal crossing. Really sucks... Wish I'd saw this thread sooner

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I transferred from a 2GB to a 32GB card with no problems.

MarkusRJR

just to be clear: people have done this succesfully in the animal crossing thread. Transfering data to a new SD card.

It's not something that "happens" as in you do X and Y happens. Something weird clearly happened here but it's not "if you transfer the data to a new card you WILL lose your save".
I'm buying a new SD card in a week. Anything I can do to sucessfully transfer over my saves?

olimpia84

I don't think is as bad as losing, say, a Pokemon file since you can get help from gaffers to catalog and score big in the turnip thread. Still, I bet it sucks really bad considering you were used to your neighbors and town setup =/

Top Bottom