• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My brother claims people should weigh the pros and cons of being vaccinated?

Haines

Banned
I feel he is completely off the mark.

I asked him for proof as to why someone should not get vaccinated aside from obvious medical complications.

Here's his links.

fuck this link

fuck this link

fuck this link

His entire argument is there are pros and cons to taking the vaccine and parents should not be shamed for not giving it to the kids

SilentRob

There absolutely are Pros and Cons:

Pro:
Your child does not die, nor does it kill another kid.

Con:
That needle hurts.

Pros: Don't get sick with potentially life threatening diseases
Herd Immunity prevents others from getting sick
Eliminate awful illnesses
'
Cons (If you're not one of the few people who can't literally can't get vaccinated)
You need to get a shot
Depending on what you're getting vaccinated for, you might still catch another strain of the same illness
might cost some money?

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative
Ask him to read about how herd immunity works. Also slap him right across the face and say "thanks Jill Stein"

Jonnax

Your brother is falling victim to the equivalent of a bullshit conspiracy theory.

Just look at those links: The Healthy Home Economist? What does that even mean? An economist that works from home that goes on runs? It's not reputable.

Health impact news. Look at their banner, they straight up state that they're a conspiracy website:
"News that Impacts your health that other media sources may censor"

Everyone should weigh the pros and cons and be informed with accurate and correct information before making a decision. Nobody should blindly just take something because someone told them to. That said, the decision should conclude with getting vaccinated unless someone is susceptible to a negative reaction to the vaccine.

Hyun Sai

That needle hurts man, and that's about all the cons I can think about. Ah it takes time too. Huh, you also need to go out of your house (painful for some people). There is maybe paperwork involved ? I dunno.

Hazmat

Of course you should weight the pros and cons.

Pro: Your baby will not get the measles and will contribute to herd immunity for everyone else.

Cons: The shot will hurt temporarily and your baby will cry for a minute.

Unfortunately, your brother is an idiot.

That needle hurts man, and that's about all the cons I can think about. Ah it takes time too. Huh, you also need to go out of your house (painful for some people). There is maybe paperwork involved ? I dunno.

I mean, some people literally can't get vaccines since it'll trigger a bad reaction in them. It's why herd immunity and making sure everyone else takes the vaccines is so fucking important. That said, I imagine any good Doctor would make sure the vaccines wouldn't trigger a reaction before allowing any patient to get a vaccine, so this is largely a non factor

Xe4

Banned
They should.
And any half reasonable person would realize that pros>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>cons

p2535748

Sure, if people feel like they have the time, weigh out the pros and cons. But citing bullshit websites and videos and ignoring actual respected organizations like the CDC or AMA isn't "weighing the pros and cons," it's buying into bad conspiracy theories.

Anyone who has actually done the leg work and critically evaluated this stuff will tell you that vaccines are essential not only for your children but for the safety of children around them, and people who don't vaccinate their kids should be shamed because they're endangering the children of responsible parents too.

M3d10n

The reason some stupid and ignorant people can get away with not vaccinating their kids today is because most other people these kids will interact with are already vaccinated and thus their odds of being infected is reduced.

This is called Herd Immunity, BTW.

However, if a larger number of stupid and ignorant people who prefer to obtain their information from other stupid and ignorant people who are self-proclaim to be among the few who know the truth, herd immunity will fail and more and more of them will soon find their "chemical free" kids afflicted with things far worse than "catching" autism.

Tell him his sources are bullshit.

CDC's website actually does a good job describing the risks and concerns related to vaccines in an honest, factual manner.

https://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/vpd/should-not-vacc.html
https://www.cdc.gov/vaccinesafety/concerns/index.html

But the CDC follows government orders, they are in it.

Xe4

Banned
Now that the links were removed, I'm guessing they were natural news or some shit. LOL.

To add onto my previous statement:
Pros: Not dying, not causing other people to get sick, not causing dead kids, increasing public health, giving heard immunity.
Cons: Sore arm, some mild complications such as small fever or headache.

Naaaaaaaaaaaah, those two seem about equal.

The reason some stupid and ignorant people can get away with not vaccinating their kids today is because most other people these kids will interact with are already vaccinated and thus their odds of being infected is reduced.

This is called Herd Immunity, BTW.

However, if a larger number of stupid and ignorant people who prefer to obtain their information from other stupid and ignorant people who are self-proclaim to be among the few who know the truth, herd immunity will fail and more and more of them will soon find their "chemical free" kids afflicted with things far worse than "catching" autism.

But the CDC follows government orders, they are in it.

I'm pretty sure there's already been a small resurgence of several illnesses that coincides with the antivax movement

Pros: Take advantage of humanity's progress in medical science to become immune to illnesses that used to be death sentences mere generations ago

Cons: The anxiety of being pricked with a needle

tcrunch

Show your brother this photo of a baby with whooping cough, a preventable disease
BKSCiEf.jpg

What kind of fucking dumnasses believes the government is hellbent on making the population mentally disabled? FOR WHAT FUCKING REASON.

His entire argument is there are pros and cons to taking the vaccine and parents should not be shamed for not giving it to the kids
You're putting your unfounded beliefs ahead of protecting your child and the children in your community. Parents who do this without the excuse of their child literally cannot deserve all of the shame they can get.

mlclmtckr

Banned
I mean you should weigh the pros and cons of everything I guess but since the only con of vaccinations is getting a harmless injection you should probably get vaccinated and stop being such a fucking baby about needles.

Also, as someone who is actually on the autism spectrum, I'm going to say this: Even if vaccines did cause autism (They don't), Any Parent who'd rather risk their kid getting a life threatening disease than risk a kid getting autism is an awful parent and doesn't deserve to have children, and should promptly go fuck themselves

MC Safety

Ask him to read about how herd immunity works. Also slap him right across the face and say "thanks Jill Stein"

I don't advocate violence, but Jenny McCarthy deserves two.

She posed nude and makes stupid faces! Why wouldn't we look to her as an expert in immunology?

There's only 2 cons to vaccination:
- If you are allergic to the vaccine, you cannot get it
- There might be complications from the injection, but those are local only and easily treatable

Izayoi

Banned
Antivaxxers don't want to read text, they just like to be fed on a diet of conspiracy theory blurbs.
I unfortunately know this all too well.

One of my wife's friends was adamant about not vaccinating her child because it was "more natural" and I begged her to at least read the book before she made up her mind, but she flat out refused. It's an easy read, and really not that intimidating, but she was making up excuses about not having time.

Look, you're about to have a fucking child, and you don't have time to read a 288 page book now?

It's extremely frustrating. These are generally people who just don't want to be educated.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
There's only 2 cons to vaccination:
- If you are allergic to the vaccine, you cannot get it
- There might be complications from the injection, but those are local only and easily treatable

which is why it's imperative that those who can do. There might be some people who actually can't be vaccinated but herd immunity protects them and everyone else.

WedgeX

Banned
The only justifications for not getting a vaccine are autoimmune diseases and allergies to the vaccine (and similar reasons). Any other reasons put everyone, including those with autoimmune diseases, at risk.

Top Bottom