• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

my coworkers say my desk area is boring

Kayhan

I printed a copy of this and have it permanently taped beside my computer for all to see.
so-then.png

This one is actually fucking great.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
I don’t decorate my desk. I find it distracting. I also don’t need it to feel homey or comfortable. It’s work, I don’t want to be there any longer than I need to so a barren work space minus equipment is the ideal environment to get work done and get out.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I don’t decorate my desk. I find it distracting. I also don’t need it to feel homey or comfortable. It’s work, I don’t want to be there any longer than I need to so a barren work space minus equipment is the ideal environment to get work done and get out.

I can see this, but for me, if I'm going to be here 8 hours a day I want to feel comfortable. I have photos of my family, some random gaming trinkets, some Iowa State gear, etc.

Murkas

Hang pictures of your partner, friends, family, kids and photos of you doing activities/in locations where you look happy.

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
I don't decorate my desk. I find it distracting. I also don't need it to feel homey or comfortable. It's work, I don't want to be there any longer than I need to so a barren work space minus equipment is the ideal environment to get work done and get out.
I agree, my desks have always been empty. Same deal with my desktop wallpaper, I keep it simple. Mine is this:

Mars and its moons. Funnily enough, 15 minutes ago a coworker saw it and jokingly asked if I worked at NASA. Told him I picked it because I didn't feel like using any of the wallpapers I have on my own PC, as I don't want to think about work when at home.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
I work with a bunch of middle aged women and for some reason they all loved it whenever I drew Philosoraptor on my little whiteboard.

Violet_0

Banned
Oh, totally, get a cutesy baby-like statue of a naked corpse wrapped in plastic. That's not weird at all.
the body of Laura Palmer from Twin Peaks, who's at the center of the mystery of season 1. The only worthwhile thing to ever come out of funko pop

Replicant

I got some Funko pops and Kidrobot figurines on rotation depending on the time (ie. all horror characters during Halloween), about 10 in total.

My coworkers either have figurines, some weird toys (ie. pig toy that makes oink sound), picture of their family, pot plant, lego stuff, etc

MudoSkills

Volcano High Alumnus (Cum Laude)
I've personalised my desk with stationary and detritus - it really lets people know who I am on the inside.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
What you do is

You wait until the people who commented on your bland desk aren't in, then check their desks for family photos

Take those photos and scan them, then you edit them in Photoshop and paste your face over the faces of the people in the photos

Then you print and frame them, put them on your desk and return the original photos to your coworkers' desks

Say nothing about them

J

JoJo UK

Unconfirmed Member
I downloaded an image of a Kerbal astronaught painted in the style of the Mona Lisa, framed it and gave it to my bro, he has that on his desk.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I don't have any personalized stuff on my desk at all, but no one's ever commented on it.

I work in the cosmetics industry and am constantly told my desk isn’t clear enough.

Real culture of clean, tidy desks with occasional product.

Burberry’s offices in London are like that, scarily uniform and empty.

gaiages

Banned
Right now I just have a couple small trinkets for my office. Yarn Yoshi amiibo and a bean dog keychain plush... T-rex salt and pepper shakers (we don't have a communal one)... a tiny plate for candies... that's about it!

I'm not much of a decorator but...

I printed a copy of this and have it permanently taped beside my computer for all to see.
so-then.png

OMG I need this in my office

Though someone might take it personally >:3~

Put up stock photos of random families, but start crossing out 1 or 2 members of each family with a red sharpie every 2-3 weeks. Make sure to use pins and string to link them to other random family pictures. Write "WHY" over and over again on the ones that are crossed out. People will think it's a mystery!

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
The only thing I have on my desk is an Angry Bird plushie. I don't like feeling too comfortable at work.

Nuts2U

Amiibo are your friends. Especially the animal crossing ones, I got a ton of them for like $0.99 each, co-workers often comment that they really like them.

Moose Biscuits

It would be extreamly painful...
I cut out my favourite strips from the page a day Dilbert calendar I got in an office Christmas thing a while back and I stuck them on various surfaces.

I keep my desk clean so it's less humiliating if I get fired. You wouldn't even know I worked there other than the name tag on my cubicle.

Why give a fuck what your co workers think tho?

My work desk is completely empty except for work related things...don't see the point of decorating your work space personally, I'd rather put that effort into decorating my home.

bosseye

On my desk I have:

Photos of my family
Plush Mr Bump
Resident Evil zombie and zombie dog
A sock monkey
Sackboy
Metal owl
Shells and stones my kids collected from the beach for me
Fake Cornish pasty
Various dull work files

Home away from home.

darscot

I keep nothing on my desk and there is a limit to my tolerance to people that cover their desk in nick-nacks. I have no idea how it became normal to decorate your workspace like your Grandmas house. I do not want to have to be all worried I am going to knock something over if I have to sit at your desk for a minute.

Another pet peeve of mine is the ambidextrous artist desk that has 15 input devices for his PC and his Mac. Can you just point me to the mouse and keyboard that controls your fucking PC.

King Al B

I wish i could decorate my desk.. the pile of stuff i have to do takes up the majority of the space. And i got forms and notes and crap all over my walls. Im a freakin unorganized disaster. When people make comments i tell them my secretary has been on long term sick leave.

Top Bottom