• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My dog seems to frequently have seizures while sleeping

msdstc

Incredibly Naive
That gif is older than reddit and that's not a seizure. The dog woke up immediately and that doesn't happen in any seizure I've seen.

Hmm my current dog has only had 1 seizure thank God since it's a horrifying experience, but during she would snap out and walk around dazed/disoriented. She actually slammed into several walls during the process before I could get her corralled.

Orbis

That's what I assumed it was. But this happens all the time. None of my dogs did this so often which is why I made this thread. I started thinking it was something more.
My Lab twitches (sometimes as if he's running, sometimes just a general twitch) and barks in his sleep basically every day, I was under the impression it's completely normal. Not all dogs do it as much.

My wife's lab mix started having seizures at her end. Between that, the uncontrollable bladder/bowel movements and depressed mannerisms, we decided to put her down.

I hope for the best for you and yours.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hmm my current dog has only had 1 seizure thank God since it's a horrifying experience, but during she would snap out and walk around dazed/disoriented. She actually slammed into several walls during the process before I could get her corralled.

I should have worded that better. The dog in the gif ran into a wall after waking up and obviously was shocked with that after its intense dreams. I've had dogs with actual seizures and some of them actually stop shaking altogether and just become totally inert and "dead" to the world around them or others would "wake up" but still be totally and utterly zoned out or worse.

My girl is a dane/cane corso mix and she dreams VERY vividly all the time. Barking, moving her legs, even howled once or twice in her sleep. Double check with the vet for peace of mind, but your dog should be fine.

What name did you ended up giving your dog? I remember the thread you made.
My dog snored and his little tongue would stick out of his mouth, it was really cute.

That's what I assumed it was. But this happens all the time. None of my dogs did this so often which is why I made this thread. I started thinking it was something more.

I mean, better safe than sorry but it there's a 95% chance she's just a vivid dreamer, especially since she seems to wake up immediately.

Rest assured plenty of humans do weird shit in their sleep, too. I woke my wife once since I heard this weird screeching noise, it turned out that she was dreaming of eating cupcakes and grinding her teeth. For my part, I mumble about random things I read before bed. "zzz... ballistic missiles zzzz..."

DrkSage

Op your dogs having a dream. I have a labrador and when she's dreaming you can see little twitches in her paws and random growling and low barking noises nothing to worry about.

kirblar

One of my buddies has to have a different bed from his SO because of how much he kicks in his sleep. Isn't unique to dogs, they're just way more entertaining about it.

What name did you ended up giving your dog? I remember the thread you made.
My dog snored and his little tongue would stick out of his mouth, it was really cute.

Riley. It was the name she came with and I eventually warmed to it. My dog also opens her eyes as she's shaking/barking/snarling so I wasn't even sure she was truly asleep. She's getting weird.

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
Riley. It was the name she came with and I eventually warmed to it. My dog also opens her eyes as she's shaking/barking/snarling so I wasn't even sure she was truly asleep. She's getting weird.

I assume just opening the eyes slightly, not full blown wide eyed and bushy tailed.

Kenai

QYoupR5.gif

Biscuit the Sleepwalking Dog is my favorite short youtube video, even more so than Surprised Kitty.

Thank you for posting this

eso76

sounds like dreaming. dogs don't have sleep paralysis like we do

it's always hilarious to watch them run at a full sprint in their sleep

my cat once did, it was indeed hilarious how he switched from completely still sleeping on my legs to full speed against the window.
Had it been open he would have flown directly in the air and to the ground, two stories below.
The impetus was such his claws ripped a 4cm clean cut through the pair of jeans I was wearing.

The look on his face, trying to act as if nothing happened after crashing on the floor was just priceless.

Complistic

joke thread? It's dreaming. You'll know when/if your dog has a seizure, it'll get up and be super disoriented. If it gets up.

My dog does this, sometimes scares the life out of me as she wakes us up (she sleeps on our bed). Pretty sure it's just dreaming.

My cat used to have full on fits in her sleep when she was a kitten. THAT was fucking scary.

Moppeh

Banned
Thought I saw this posted on Reddit somewhere and a guy said it actually was a seizure.

Pretty sure that's bullshit. The owners for this dog set up a YouTube account and it sleep walks all the time. They even gave him a helmet to wear as he sleeps. His name is Bizkit.

rjinaz

My dog seems to have nightmares frequently. She whelps, barks, shakes, sometimes very hard. One time she whelped so loud it sounded like somebody stepped on her and I think maybe she dreamt somebody had because she was acting like she does when that happens. Scared me. Dogs are funny. My dog is super spoiled and I'm with her most hours of the day.

Sounds like your pup is just a more vivid dreamer than your other dogs. If you are still concerned about it bring it up to the vet when you see them. At worst you'll look like an overly concerned pet owner.

The 'not to take the mood down but I'm an expert in stuff and this cute situation is actually horrible and indicative of animal cruelty/life is meaningless/your loved ones will die' is one of Reddit's dumbest meme. Don't fall for it.

As for your dog, high chance that he is just an active dreamer

Kylarean

She's dreaming. My dog does it all the time. Usually some muffled barks, but sometimes she'll start kicking you while she's "running". Only dog I've had that really does it, and I usually just put my hand on her or call her name to wake her up.

grimmiq

Every dog I've had has done the slight twitches and little yips/barks while sleeping. I've also had an epileptic dalmatian, during seizures he'd have lots of drool, all 4 legs would go stiff and shake like crazy. It was way worse than little twitches in the others' sleep. That being said, he only ever had them while awake and would feel them coming and go looking for us if he wasn't nearby..Walking pre-seizure looked like he was drugged up and stepping on a hot floor.

Sleeping dog woofs are the best sounds.

I'll put this here since I don't think a lot of people know that compost can be very dangerous for dogs. One time, my dog started shaking and it seemed to be something very wrong neurally. We took him to a vet, who found he'd eaten compost that was on the garden. This contains neurotoxins! He got better after a night or two of treatment at the vet. This was about 8 years ago.
Compost is especially dangerous as the decomposing organic matter can contain fungi which produce neurotoxins called tremorgenic mycotoxins. It is also important to note that tremorgenic mycotoxins can be present in garbage or other sources of moldy food- not just compost bins. The symptoms of acute compost toxicity usually occur 30 minutes-3 hours after initial ingestion. These symptoms can include agitation, hyperthermia (increased temperature), vomiting, panting, drooling, tremors and seizures. Consuming even a small amount of compost containing tremorgenic mycotoxins can be deadly, so early diagnosis and treatment are imperative. There is no cure for this particular poison and the early implementation of supportive care will give your dog the best chance at survival. This treatment can include the induction of vomiting, administration of activated charcoal to bind to whatever toxins are left in the system, IV fluids to flush toxins from the bloodstream, cold water or alcohol baths to decrease body temperature, and the administration of several IV medications to control spasms or seizures.

Although most dogs who are diagnosed with compost poisoning will recover within 24-48 hours with prompt treatment, some dogs will not. Tremors and seizures can last for several days and secondary complications such as clotting abnormalities and aspiration pneumonia may develop. These secondary complications are often fatal.
http://riverroadveterinary.com/compost-toxicity/

Jay Sosa

Don't worry thats perfectly normal, some of my dogs went absolutely apeshit while they were asleep. Especially after going hiking or doing something that seemingly left a huge impression on my wuff-wuff.

And don't wake him up, dude is probably having the most awesome dreams.

My dog is a 1 year old Catahoula/Lab mix. I've had her for 3 or 4 weeks now and I've noticed a lot of times when she's sleeping she has these seizures. Last night she was even making little barking noises. All of the dogs I've had sometimes twitch while they were dreaming, but this dog's twitching seem a little more frequent and more intense. If I call her she will wake up fine with no discernable pain or discomfort which is why I haven't been to the vet. She has an appointment in a couple weeks so I'll discuss it then with the doctor during her checkup.

Does anyone have or have had a dog that seems to twitch aggressively while sleeping?

Sounds like a normal dream TBH. I have a husky with legit epilepsy and it is terrifying. Has nothing to do with sleep and she'll actually wake up when she has a seizure.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
My dog is a 1 year old Catahoula/Lab mix. I've had her for 3 or 4 weeks now and I've noticed a lot of times when she's sleeping she has these seizures. Last night she was even making little barking noises. All of the dogs I've had sometimes twitch while they were dreaming, but this dog's twitching seem a little more frequent and more intense. If I call her she will wake up fine with no discernable pain or discomfort which is why I haven't been to the vet. She has an appointment in a couple weeks so I'll discuss it then with the doctor during her checkup.

Does anyone have or have had a dog that seems to twitch aggressively while sleeping?

you do realise that dogs dream right?

Top Bottom