• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My friend is afraid to play Bloodborne.

Djostikk

I have a friend and we play a lot together. He is a fan of Dark Souls series, completed all games on PC few times. He got a PS4 few months ago and he was very excited to play Bloodborne. I thought he would say something like "oh, man, this is even better than Dark Souls 2!" (DS2 his favorite in series), but we met and he said: "I can't get past Cleric Beast, this game is too frightening, all these monsters, mad people, horrifying atmosphere. I can't play this game."

Well, I should mention that he doesn't like horror games and doesn't even bother to play them, because they're too scary. This is very strange for me, because I never took Bloodborne as a horror game, probably because I don't find these games scary anymore, and this it's not fun, I think the last game that scared me a little bit was Amnesia, and that's it.

Anyway, I decided to help him and we beat the game in coop. After that I asked what's his final opinion, and he said, Dark Souls 2 is still better, because it has more appealing world and atmosphere.

I can see that, it does have a decent horror element to it. It even unnerved me initially. Also the spider area completely ruins me, I have never truly explored that area as I've just sprinted until I could find wherever progress was.

Also credit to him for loving Dark Souls II. He has good opinions.

Kindekuma

Banned
Lovecraftian and cosmic horror it's is own subgenre. Some people are scared by it, others are not. Plus there's a lot of body gore and whatnot, so it's definitely not for everyone.

Jonnax

You know those Amygdala?

I'm not phased by much but when I saw that shivers ran down my spine.

It's terrifying.

Dark_castle

Bloodborne does feel like a horror game at times due to its oppressive and at times creepy atmosphere but honestly due to nature of the game where you are the predator while the enemies are the prey, I never really felt scared. I just felt like a badass mofo going around murdering shit and not giving a damn.

Lol, Bloodborne is no horror.

I'm not into horror games and I even had to force myself to play The Last of Us (I had a LTTP thread back then). But I managed just fine in Bloodborne. It's not scary at all, really. There's no jumpscares like in horror games (yes there actually is but it's different), and most of the time you can see the enemies from afar. Also, you have the ability to overpower the enemies unlike in horror games where most of the time you have pretty scarce resources.

show him the derpy ragdoll physics

honestly, the game isnt scary because nothing feels visceral (even the visceral attack is just you clipping into an enemy)
you can get your throat cut by a hag and shrug it off like its just role play, and then a fully charged axe swing will just put a villager on the floor instead of any visible damage.
You also get to respawn as part of the continuity which makes death seem a bit trivial and only frustrating because you dont want to have to farm another buttload of echoes/souls

games like dead space where awful shit will happen to your body are more effective
actually Resident Evil 4 did this quite well too

renzolama

42b.gif

I think the tension of the Dark Souls-style gameplay, along with the overall theme of madness / cosmic horror lends Bloodborne a pretty strong sense of dread, more than anything.

I think the overall quality is what made me finish it, despite having no interest in "horror" games.

I mean, if we're going that route...

pTGoSks.gif

Djostikk

Lol, Bloodborne is no horror.

I'm not into horror games and I even had to force myself to play The Last of Us (I had a LTTP thread back then). But I managed just fine in Bloodborne. It's not scary at all, really. There's no jumpscares like in horror games (yes there actually is but it's different), and most of the time you can see the enemies from afar. Also, you have the ability to overpower the enemies unlike in horror games where most of the time you have pretty scarce resources.

I think it's more about design of the world and enemies, also atmosphere.

Steiner84

All 26 hours. Multiple times.
well i can see where hes coming from.
Some areas are really unsettling.

Also DaS2 is great! Loved it as much as your friend.

The unsettling nature of Bloodborne is one of its appeals, at least for me it is. If he doesn't like that aspect, then it's understandable why he would think higher of DS2.

Dahaka

Having started BB recently (finally) I have to say the atmosphere is much denser, intense than the souls Games with much more of a feeling of being forlorn and alone. Very much actually with more spooky and eerie sounds and graphics. It has that demon's souls feel in coop where you partner up with someone. Temporarily a slight relief and feeling of good company.

Bloodborne isn't a "horror game" but there's definitely unerving elements and the atmosphere and not knowing what is ahead adds to that. There's a feeling of unease and dread and that can be horror for some people.

Oh man, I wish I could enjoy DS2's world and atmosphere as much as your friend.

Really, DeS and BB are the only Soulsborne with good atmosphere. And King's Field.

But on topic, Bloodborne has immense atmosphere, brimming through its thick oppressive feel. It's far more unsettling than most horror games are.

BigDes

The game isnt particularly scary to be honest . There are moments where you are tense and nervous but nothing about the game is overly terrifying. You are far too powerful a character to be given that sense of hopelessness and dread that a horror game really needs.

It is horrific in its themes and imagery I suppose and there are things that make me go ew gross bit there are no moments where I don't want to go around a corner because something might be there.

D

Deleted member 465307

Unconfirmed Member
I haven't played Bloodborne and I haven't played much horror, but I always felt it was pretty clear that Bloodborne's aesthetic was horror (the subgenre might be called "gothic horror," but that might be wrong). I'm not sure if Bloodborne would scare me*, but the setting is definitely unsettling and I'd probably feel uncomfortable playing it.

*Jk, I scare easily. The first boss would probably make me quit. But the same would probably be true of Dark Souls, from what I've seen.

Mephala

I can understand that. Bloodborne is far better at horror than most games.

The intro the Father G gave me Resident Evil vibes. Specifically reminded me of this.

mQKP6n.gif

DWZOb8.gif

Also. On Dark Souls while I always felt DS to be very atmospheric as well it was completely different. DS had this static, dead or dying feel to it. Bloodborne is far creepier from the start. Dark Souls you are undead and it feels like you fit right in. In Bloodborne, everything feels wrong and inescapable. The nightmare themes are quite apt I think.

Neolombax

There's something about Bloodborne that is unnerving. I don't like it. The gameplay is excellent but the overall mood and feel of the game rubs me the wrong way. I dropped it after I got past the
Witch of Hemwick

Nestunt

Since I don't like horror games/movies

The tension in Bloodborne plus the setting served as a way to experience horror.

The Last of Us had a somewhat similar effect (in Survival difficulty).

ratsuki

High five to your friend. I also can't play Bloodborne. Though for me, as someone with anxiety issues, what bothers me aren't world design or gruesome enemy appearances, but the suspense. That tension when creeping around with fear of being discovered and chased. When I watch my brother playing I can look at it just fine, and I was the one who made jokes about the enemies and we laugh at it together. But when I played it myself I found it so tiring and often have headache after 1 hour or so. I can play it with some effort but I play games for entertainment and blow some steam, so games that have opposite effect like this sadly are no go. Can't play Last of Us and MGS pretty much for same thing, and MGS are far cry from horror. Simply not my cup of tea.

Defuser

Theres no way DS2 atmosphere and empty rooms is better than bloodborne.As a person like me who hate horror games bloodborne isn't much of one. It's a unnerving unsettling game but goddamn its good.

ghostjoke

Banned
It would be interesting seeing the reaction when the blood moon rises and he realises what's been around him the whole time.

Glen Tennis

Neo Member
It was almost too scary for me too, it was the combination of the atmosphere and difficulty. I also made it through with a help of a friend who was in the same room. I loved what I played but I didn't buy the DLC because I'm a big wuss.

Toxi

Banned
Understandable. The world of Bloodborne is really fucked up. Lot of dark stuff, especially when it comes to childbirth.

Exentryk

The game structure and the oppressive atmosphere was the reason I dropped Bloodborne after the second boss. After a long day, this type of game is the last thing I want to play. Never played Souls games, and seems like these just aren't for me.

I loved playing PT though.

i had a terrifying nightmare the night i played the game the first time. mainly because of the setting i guess. then i started to grind blood echoes and at some point i was too powerful to be scared. it also helps to know that you loose your progress only if you die two times consequtively without cashing your blood echoes in

Tagyhag

Huh, that's interesting. I always found Bloodborne's world oppressing and bleak (In a cool way) but I never found it outright scary, especially to the point of stopping.

It doesn't feel like a horror game to me.

Though like you said, playing it in coop probably helps with that.

As my first Souls game, I was terrified to walk around the world because everything in it was so dark and deadly. Playing with headphones at night? May as well classify it as a Horror game. This game actually did give my wife nightmares lmao, she hates when I play.

Necron

Bloodborne was my first real taste of a Souls game. Imagine how much I died, stumbled and how scared/nervous I was. Even had to play something lighthearted and different at the beginning (Unravel) because I was so utterly confused, lost and nervous to play it. Didn't even reach
Father Cascoigne
. Then it clicked and I played everything to 100% and got the platinum trophy.
Orphan of Kos
being an utterly frustrating and difficult fight, because I just couldn't get the parrying down (
Lady Maria
wasn't a problem).

Jim Sterling once argued that Bloodborne was a very special kind of (survival) horror game. It's incredibly cruel and even more unnerving once you understand what went on in Yharnam. It has all the elements of a horror game to the point of some people being scared of continuing down an unknown path. One of the best games I've ever played (top 5) and something I'll always remember.

Edit: added spoiler tags

Top Bottom