• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
I'm going to be honest when I say this is the first chapter in awhile where I was like "Not enough!"

Need moaaaaar.

It's a little weird that they're getting so much feedback, since that's... not generally a part of exams as I usually take 'em, lol. But it's aight. Gang Orca's design is badass as all get out, and the idea of having to defend from a followup attack while still managing the rescue is a good one from a style standpoint, even though it arguably undercuts the nature of the test; the first one was 100% combat oriented, you'd think that the second would be 100% rescue oriented to give different skillsets a time to shine, but w/e.

Need moaaaaar.

It's a little weird that they're getting so much feedback, since that's... not generally a part of exams as I usually take 'em, lol. But it's aight. Gang Orca's design is badass as all get out, and the idea of having to defend from a followup attack while still managing the rescue is a good one from a style standpoint, even though it arguably undercuts the nature of the test; the first one was 100% combat oriented, you'd think that the second would be 100% rescue oriented to give different skillsets a time to shine, but w/e.

I mean, part of rescuing should involve protecting civilians from danger, since it's not like bad guys will wait around for the heroes to evacuate everyone safely so it makes sense.

I doubt they'll focus on fighting the "bad guys" so much as they'll try to keep them at bay while rescuing, which is pretty interesting.

Also I love Gang Orca's look.

Trojita

Anyone want to take bets on whether Deku goes to fight Gang Orca or stays to help the civilians?

I mean, part of rescuing should involve protecting civilians from danger, since it's not like bad guys will wait around for the heroes to evacuate everyone safely so it makes sense.

I doubt they'll focus on fighting the "bad guys" so much as they'll try to keep them at bay while rescuing, which is pretty interesting.

Also I love Gang Orca's look.

I get the in-universe reasoning, but I can't help but feel like it was done so the purely combat-oriented students would have something to do.

Anyone want to take bets on whether Deku goes to fight Gang Orca or stays to help the civilians?

I'm gonna go with "stays to help but ends up in the center of the fighting anyway."

Meffer

Hmm this is tricky since he still has to make use of his kickboxing while there are plenty of viable characters that'll certainly enter the fray.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique

I wanna bet that he goes at Gang Orca, gets stomped, five minutes later, he gets back up and keeps going and Gang Orca's like, "Thats the spirit, ten points for griffindor!"

I can't tell if she has short arms and huge hands or she's still doing her frog pose thing where she trails her hands directly in front of her slightly

It's still the frog pose thing I think. Here are a couple of images of her fully upright:

00d3a00f2b2131aa0a62302045bfec5f.jpg

As you can see, she's built like a normal girl mostly. She just has larger hands and feet and likes to stand like a frog because that's her thing.

cntr

Banned
"Looks Most Like a Villain Ranking", betting on Ectoplasm having the no. 1 rank there.

Gang Orca was actual villain in Oumagadoki Zoo!

and props to Inasa, "Gale" is a cool and simple name.

Philippo

Kind of a mess of an exam, as in i'd be super fucking confused, especially with not much experience. But yeah, UA need to work on those communication skills.
I guess the author put "villains" in this one to let Bakugo shine a bit, otherwise he'd be screwed.

Also, Kemi's definitely stalking Deku again, what a
hot
freak.

FlowersisBritish

Also for those really enjoying the orca guy, he's pretty much lifted from the author's earlier series "Oumagadoki Doubutsuen" which was about magical zoo animals taking human form and doing battle and other silly things with one another. It was alright, and didn't last long. Lot of cool character designs at least. The Orca dude was also a highlight from there. Makes a lot of sense the author just copy pasted him into Hero. Some pictures to show just how lifted he really is, straight down to the eye thing.

And for good measure, a favorite fan wallpaper of mine from that series when the aquarium arc was getting pretty hype(warning about the image size)

Philippo

Also for those really enjoying the orca guy, he's pretty much lifted from the author's earlier series "Oumagadoki Doubutsuen" which was about magical zoo animals taking human form and doing battle and other silly things with one another. It was alright, and didn't last long. Lot of cool character designs at least. The Orca dude was also a highlight from there. Makes a lot of sense the author just copy pasted him into Hero. Some pictures to show just how lifted he really is, straight down to the eye thing.

And for good measure, a favorite fan wallpaper of mine from that series when the aquarium arc was getting pretty hype(warning about the image size)

Wow that looks like a cool series.

Veelk

Banned
Bakugo has epic comedy potential. He's probably the funniest character in the manga and in the fan art outside it. He's essentially Vegeta from DBZ abridged in terms of personality, and his rage is hilarious.

Trojita

LMAO Inasa's origin hate for Endeavor and Todoroki is sooooooooo
lame

Deku is pissed, like "the fuck are you doing!?"

Todoroki and Inasa are of course going to
learn to do a dual attack fire powered with wind

Interesting that each student has an agent assigned to keep their score.

cntr

Banned
We're already setting up the My Hero Justice League, i see

Gang Orca is coooool, and lol he used his weak point in Oumagadoki Zoo as a defense

seeing Inasa and Todoroki is like seeing Aang and Zuko trying to work together for the first time, talk about awkward

and Inasa has Syndrome's backstory, pfft.

Nightbird

LMAO Inasa's origin hate for Endeavor and Todoroki is sooooooooo
lame

I actually think it's a pretty good reason.

To Inasa, heroes are role models, not only heroes in terms of occupation, but also as actual persons.

From what he saw of Endeavor and Todoroki, those two go against that ideal. Instead of the joyful, encouraging people he expected when he met those two, he saw two grumpy, bitter people who don't want anyone around them.

This is not how heroes should be in Inasa's eyes. That's why he hates those two.

He couldn't know that Todoroki had a change of heart since then, and that Todoroki had his legit reasons for being that way back when they met. All his saw was that Eneavors son had the same mentality.

Cerium

Todoroki does still have Endeavor's intensity, and to people who don't know him he probably comes off as cold or aloof. He's very guarded (for good reasons) and doesn't show his real self very easily. Of course his classmates know by now that he's got a good and kind heart, but Inasa has no reason to believe that at this point.

Veelk

Banned
Regardless, "My hero doesn't have the exact personality I projected on him before I knew him so fuck him!" is a lame motive.

Cerium

Regardless, "My hero doesn't have the exact personality I projected on him before I knew him so fuck him!" is a lame motive.

Did you ever have a childhood idol? Can you imagine meeting him, asking him for an autograph, and then being shoved to the ground in response? Kids are impressionable. It's not like Inasa wishes harm on Todoroki, he just doesn't like him, which is perfectly reasonable based on what he knows.

Veelk

Banned
Did you ever have a childhood idol? Can you imagine meeting him, asking him for an autograph, and then being shoved to the ground in response? Kids are impressionable.

Sure. I don't see myself carrying a pathological hatred of them into my teens because of it though.

I'm not saying that having a lame motive is necessarily bad. This guy is kind of lame in terms of personality. Not as in bad, but he's such a dork, even though his power is really cool. So you could even say a lame motive fits his character.

Ascheroth

I think it's believable and shows a lot of Inabas character, his convictions and motivations. It might be lame and petty, but it also that he might have an extremely powerful quirk, but still has flaws he needs to overcome.
I can't say I have a problem with it.

Trojita

I hope we don't have an elemental power fockboi group. Seems like the hero association really wants hero groups to take over All Might's absence to "assure" the public.

Don't want them to put Inasa, Todoroki, and Shindou in a team lol.

In any other medium I could see them also putting the animal people in a group, "lol put the bird and frog in the same group.

I want to see how Deku kicks this shit into full gear. He's definitely passing.

Nightbird

It's basically a less intense version of what Stain felt concerning heroes. I think his even teacher mentioned something in that way in a earlier chapter if i remember correctly...

Trojita

They do all seem to be really strong, like the Logias of One Piece.

Todoroki: A Song of Ice and Fire
Inasa: The Last Airbender
Kaminari: Traitorous Swine

Yeah I guess they consider elemental power quirks to be winning the lottery, at least that was specifically said about Kaminari's electricity and we can infer about the notoriety of the rest.

Trojita

I wonder if Horikoshi is just going to have Deku talk some sense into them but not be fully in the spotlight (fighting Gang Orca), instead going back to help evacuate the civvies.

Cerium

Everyone will probably have to play a role like this is the Avengers or Justice League.

Given his combat prowess I would think that Deku would be wasted on rescue duty. He should be tanking Orca while Todoroki and Inasa team up for crowd control.

FlowersisBritish

Im gonna be honest, I see that a lot with grown adults who follow celberty gossip ALL the time. I agree its dumb but not an absurd motive.

After that irresponsible display i think todoroki and inasa should fail the exam. If this was the real deal they'd have been crushed by the enemy, and their "fight" actually almost harmed someone innocent.

Top Bottom