• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
glico-might3janr.png

glicoyoyst.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dōtonbori#Landmarks

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
I cross checked the Japanese dialogue from the spoiler images, and Shigaraki uses the phrase "for a short while" when talking about Mr. Compress.

It's a mistranslation.

Bravo Stream.
As much as I have issues with Viz, it's probably best to go with what they say. At least you don't get "Dogtooth"

cntr

Banned
Aizawa's really strong, so giving everybody that kind of power is already crazy.

Pretty gangster plan to do that when you're the only source of the darts.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Sun Eater's power is really cool and versatile. I see he also has the potential to be the Hen Tie Hero ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

You guys do realize that the quirk-nullification injection bullets are coming from little Eri right? Well it's just a guess. She's probably like Leach from X-Men.

Ascheroth

Sun Eater is like a potential AfO-light if you think about it.
If he starts eating people he should be able to manifest their quirks.

Sou Da

I think it's based on which body parts he eats, like how he had chicken legs and wings this chapter

Theoretically he could eat some Red Riot hair to get a sort of spike helmet then yeah? I wonder if there's a certain volume of food he needs though.

cntr

Banned
Theoretically he could eat some Red Riot hair to get a sort of spike helmet then yeah? I wonder if there's a certain volume of food he needs though.
If it works with quirks, maybe yeah. And maybe it's also something like how much he eats determines how long he can use it?

Ascheroth

I've actually started reading my german volumes, and chapter 1 is still some good shit. The scene where Deku gets told he has no quirk and the one where all might tells him he can become a hero is still some powerful stuff.
Some amusing sidenote: the first chapter already makes a mention of sidekicks, heh.

cntr

Banned
I've actually started reading my german volumes, and chapter 1 is still some good shit. The scene where Deku gets told he has no quirk and the one where all might tells him he can become a hero is still some powerful stuff.
Some amusing sidenote: the first chapter already makes a mention of sidekicks, heh.
I hope that when they translate the manga to French, they take the chance to make a pun on 'de cul' ("shitty"), because that'd be a missed opportunity for a clever translation otherwise, yo.

I need a full, serious arc with Tsuyu.

I mean, I really need an Ashido arc, but since that's never going to happen I'll take my Tsuyu arc.

It's gonna happen. Eventually.

mdubs

Banned
Vol.13 cover art

myhero013-thumb-400x635-3743.jpg

I generally love all of the cover art this series has, but volume 7 and 11 are just a step above the rest and two of the best covers I've ever seen. 11 is my favourite manga cover of all time I think just because of how well it goes with the epicness inside that volume

I generally love all of the cover art this series has, but volume 7 and 11 are just a step above the rest and two of the best covers I've ever seen. 11 is my favourite manga cover of all time I think just because of how well it goes with the epicness inside that volume

Oh i love it, it's amazing.

SalvaPot

I am just back from Osaka and Kyoto, are you still working on the Anime OT Trojita? Do you want me to do it? I don't mind either way.

cntr

Banned
The main thing that stops Mineta from going too far is that everybody else in-universe, except for occasionally Kaminari, knows that he's going too far and try to stop him. Plus it's pretty obvious that he doesn't have friends in-universe as a result, aside from maybe Kaminari and being put up with by Tsuyu. So he's the kind of person I could believe really existing, especially in Japan.

...incidentally, if you guys are curious: as far as I can tell nearly all the guys in the series are pretty popular in the MHA female fanbase, same as the girls are. (And I mean MHA's actual female fanbase, which is pretty big, not just gay shippers.)

;( long skirts
A delinquent's gotta wear what a delinquent's gotta wear.

cntr

Banned
Well yeah but if it's literally the same thing with the genders reversed it seems like it would be as humorous as it was before. Not seeing what would make it more funny
how many manga would have characters like Mineta but as a girl? not that many. (sayman dowman manga don't count)

that's why it'd be funnier.

Well yeah but if it's literally the same thing with the genders reversed it seems like it would be as humorous as it was before. Not seeing what would make it more funny

Because pervert guy characters are sort of a whitewashing of what's generally very creepy and offensive behavior in real life, whereas pervert girl characters lack that real-life negative association. By and large.

Mineta is mostly kept tolerable by the fact that a) he never succeeds and b) he is always punished.

Veelk

Banned

Humor is atleast in part the result of social transgressions, and there is a distinction because there are different expectations from a person depending on their gender.

A pervert boy going out of his way like Mineta does is a social transgression because he isn't supposed to be as overt about it as he is. But it's also commonplace, to the point where it's well known trope...even cliche, to have a "pervert guy" character in shonen. Guys are far more expected to be sexually interested than girls are. It's a transgression, but it's an expected one.

However, a girl being overtly perverted is far more of a social transgression because the expectation for girls is that they should be far more chaste and impassive. They're not expected to be sexually aggressive at all. So having a girl that is, and having people around her react like they do with Mineta would be even funnier.

The best example I can think of offhand is Sakura, who was hungry for Sasuke's D like no other, and even she didn't have any impure thoughts about him. She never peeked on him while they were in spring baths or anything, she never seemed to imagine more than a chaste kiss. Honestly, Sakura's antics would have probably been a lot funnier if she was constantly trying to seduce him.

Because pervert guy characters are sort of a whitewashing of what's generally very creepy and offensive behavior in real life, whereas pervert girl characters lack that real-life negative association. By and large.

Mineta is mostly kept tolerable by the fact that a) he never succeeds and b) he is always punished.

And his perverted excursions aren't just gags, but also do some character work with how the characters are depicted. That's the most important part, narrative work is being done.

Top Bottom