• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

Crocodile

Was this shared before?

C7zrN_WU8AA2UDv.jpg:orig

Cosplayer is Tasha Leigh

cntr

Banned
Yeah I'm personally not too into cosplay, but MHA has decent stuff out there. The designs are simple enough.

Speaking of, I didn't know the volume releases had stuff like this:

I need to check these volumes out, geez.

cntr

Banned
it's not a big deal and this is a really picky nitpick, but the thread title's a bit weird when capitalized like that

(I'd throw the "No Manga Spoilers" bit into a parenthesis, too)

SalvaPot

it's not a big deal and this is a really picky nitpick, but the thread title's a bit weird when capitalized like that

(I'd throw the "No Manga Spoilers" bit into a parenthesis, too)

I really enjoy capitalizing titles, feels more grandiose. But I am weird like that.

I do agree on the parenthesis, I fucked that up since I was playing around with the size and the wording, got distracted and forgot to put them back. The exclamations marks were there because I was gouging how many characters I had left, oops.

Ascheroth

Anime:
As expected, there's no way they go all the way to AfO vs OfA.
First episode of the anime was 1 chapter. (Though it did have ~5 minutes of semi flashback/recap of the first season in the beginning) and the preview makes it seem like next episode is 1-2 chapters (at most) again.
Sports festival is going to be an entire cour.

Was pretty cool though. They added a lot of nice little Class A interactions and the animation and character art is much better than the first season.

cntr

Banned
Alright, that episode...hm.

On one hand, they really did adapt almost nothing. On the other hand, the expanded and added scenes and improved direction and animation made the pacing actually feel good, and what flashbacks and recaps they had were well-placed and integrated, not jarring like Season 1's. (Aside from the very end of the episode being a bit overdramatic for my tastes.)

They also added sound effects, both English and Japanese, which they should've been doing from the start, so that's a plus.

Arguably they could be doing it like this because of flow and to not end in an awkward place, so we'll find out for sure in the next few weeks on whether they're really going to shit up Season 2 or not.

...also, Ochako felt a lot like Mako from Kill la Kill. That was a thing.

Ascheroth

I think the biggest problem was the recap via All Might writing a letter to Gran Torino followed by the actual chapter content going over the villain alliance attack, which made it feel slower than it should have been.
Once we got that over with the pacing felt pretty good.
Next episode should be a more accurate representation.

cntr

Banned
I actually thought the Gran Torino letter was pretty well done, much better than anything in Season 1.

I'd say that the episode was really good. It's the concern over whether or not they're going to improve the chapter to episode ratio that worries me, but the episode itself was more than fine.

Ascheroth

Yeah, I though it was a very good way to do a natural recap and sprinkle some nice forshadowing in.
Tbf, the tournament arc has as many chapters as the first season covered... but it lends itself way better to naturally inserting quality anime original content inbetween, so I'd say it's going to be just fine.

TimmiT

The Gran Torino thing kinda felt like an excuse to pad the episode out with more flashbacks to me. :X

The amount of recaps seemed inexcusable to me considering they had an entire recap episode before this.

cntr

Banned
oh, and two little things:
Sports festival is going to be an entire cour.
It was always long enough to be an entire cours. It's the longest arc in the entire manga.

the preview makes it seem like next episode is 1-2 chapters (at most) again.
Depends on where exactly they end the episode. They can either end it on that Deku face (2 chapters), or the explosion (3 chapters), and they wouldn't show the explosion in preview.

If they end Episode 2 at the explosion (and they should), the pacing will probably be fine. And it'd explain episode 1, since adapting more than one chapter would've made the pacing real awkward.

Puruzi

Banned
The anime obviously isn't hitting vs AFO, but I do hope it ends after Bakugo gets kidnapped. I wanna see Deku fight muscleman in animation

Moaradin

Ending on Bakugou getting kidnapped is a decent enough cliffhanger

That's so close to the All For One fight though. If you're gonna get that far, I don't see why they wouldn't end the season at that fight to begin with. That would leave the next season at an awkward place as well. They would end up having the big climax less than halfway through.

This season will either go all the way or won't get that far at all. If they greatly expand on the fights in the tournament then I can see it ending at Stain or shortly after.

cntr

Banned
Also to put it in perspective, this is how long each of the arcs are in the manga:

Sports Festival: 23 chapters
Stain: 15 chapters
End of Term Exam: 10 chapters
Forest Lodge: 14 chapters
All for One: 14 chapters

With typical anime pacing, all of that would fit in 26 episodes. The arcs really aren't that long. Unlike season 1, there's no reason for them to do something else unless they were just greedy shits trying to get money, Toei-style.

Chase17

Makes sense to just go to the end of term exam then. Best way to end your season is at a shopping mall. If at current pace of course.

Why do they feel the need to have so many damn flash-backs. Kinda ruined the episode for me.

It's literally my most hated trope in anime.

It happens in fucking manga too.

As if people can't remember passed a week or some shit.

Or when they do that:

"And now we'll talk about something important"
*cuts to later*
"Man, we sure talked about something important"
*cues a flashback to what they talked about that was important*

Like fucking why

cntr

Banned
You know, until The Last Airbender happened, a lot of American cartoons were forced to be episodic because companies wanted money without viewers getting lost, especially given the contempt cartoon companies view children with. Plus syndication and stuff. Even today, a lot of cartoons are pretty episodic.

So I wonder if flashbacks are the anime equivalent solution to that. Making it easier for people to watch and thus netting more money.

The hallway scene with Ochako and Iida and Deku was actually quite good. They concentrated on showing little idiosyncracies in each of them and animated some very small but good character things such as Iida's movements being followed by the camera and Ochako's pointing to them when she says "That's what I told my dad" and then pointing off to the side for the flashback.

It was a very movement heavy and character driven dialogue scene and as a result it was very entertaining to watch.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, that's why I'm not totally down on the season just yet. They've improved considerably, and there's since a chance that this is an early episode thing.

Veelk

Banned
Wait, is the anime bad?

I really just follow the manga, but I know a few people that will only experience MHA via anime.

cntr

Banned
Wait, is the anime bad?

I really just follow the manga, but I know a few people that will only experience MHA via anime.
Season 1 is mediocre. You know how good those first 21 chapters were? The anime turned that into a fairly middling 13 episodes. You might love it, but it's far more mixed in general. And even if you enjoy it, they botch so many moments that it doesn't even compare.

Season 2 may or may not be as bad, but the first episode adapting only 1 chapter doesn't bode well.

cntr

Banned
I actually enjoyed watching Season 1, lol. But it's still an atrocious adaptation.

The first 21 chapters of MHA were good. Season 1 might be enjoyable.

That's the big difference, and that's why it fails as an adaptation.

Ascheroth

I have my issues with it as well, but saying it is automatically atrocious because it's not as good as the manga is just pure hyperbole.
They absolutely nailed all of the emotional and hype moments (except the Shigaraki reveal, lol, but that and other character art related things were fixed in the Blu-ray).
You can't tell me with a straight face that All Might vs Noumu isn't incredibly hype in the anime (as an example).

cntr

Banned
It's atrocious because, fuck, I'm still angry at having to try and convince so many people that MHA isn't bad, the anime screwed things up. It pissed me off to see many people shit on a series I liked for no fault of its own. Which, yeah, is pretty irrational on my part, but it did.

It's a horrible adaptation. That's a fact. Whether you enjoyed the show despite that is separate from whether the adaptation actually was good.

I never had/have any problen convincing anybody to either watch or read MHA and I always have good comments back. I do it all the time when I talk anime with somebody. So I really think it's a #dramatization.

cntr

Banned
I really don't see what's so difficult to understand about it.

Season 1 was a bad adaptation. It was an inferior season that severely undersold the source material from which it was made. The amount of flashbacks, animation errors, and pacing issues aren't something you can dispute, they existed, and objectively so.

The only thing is whether you consider those bad enough to make it unenjoyable or not. That's opinion, and that's fine, but that doesn't change the literal fact of what season 1 was.

Yea sure they were some issues from like 9 to 11, but i's more the words atrocious and horrible and how much you don't want people to watch it that I find hyperbolic.

You are also jumping on the negativity train wayyyy to fast.

cntr

Banned
It's not hyperbole, it's what we feel.

...as an aside, why do you keep talking about how you've only gotten positive comments? Does that mean all the negative comments we've seen don't exist? Do you think we're making them up?

You are also jumping on the negativity train wayyyy to fast.
Haven't I said multiple times that I'm waiting for the next few episodes to decide whether it'll be crap or not?

cntr

Banned
tbh, the only anime which is better than its source manga is Gintama.

I thought as a kid that comics and books were better than TV shows and movies, and nothing I've ever seen in the 15 years since has shown me otherwise.

It's not hyperbole, it's what we feel.

...as an aside, why do you keep talking about how you've only gotten positive comments? Does that mean all the negative comments we've seen don't exist? Do you think we're making them up?

Haven't I said multiple times that I'm waiting for the next few episodes to decide whether it'll be crap or not?
People I follow on Youtube like Arkada, ANN, Anime Trending, conventions, friends, etc etc. Is it 100% positive? of course not! What I mean is not other place is going around throwing atrocious and horrible and other similar stuff like the anime is the worst thing on earth.

And even if that's how you feel, it won't stop me from saying it's hyperbolic. Because it is.

cntr

Banned
Yeah, it's hyperbolic, but the words "atrocious" and "horrible" are fun to say. And it gets across the salt better.

Veelk

Banned
tbh, the only anime which is better than its source manga is Gintama.

I thought as a kid that comics and books were better than TV shows and movies, and nothing I've ever seen in the 15 years since has shown me otherwise.

Yu Yu Hakusho? Especially the english dub.

Top Bottom