• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

My Hero Academia (Shonen Jump) move over pirates, ninjas, reapers, its Hero time

cntr

Banned
tumblr_oo45l254lu1sfc68o2z.png

Jintor

Boku no Heroe's OP2 has grown on me.

Here's some dope shit i noticed about the OP:

I think Deku is training on the rooftop where he first sees All Might?
Bakugou is training in the ruins of the second floor where Deku defeated him
Iida on the floor below
Red Riot next to Bakugou
Oocha on the beach that Deku cleaned (maybe?)

Jintor

holy shit whoever is doing UA's UI design is having a blast lmao

almost as good as LWA's school UI

/edit oh cool todokori references that he didn't bother doing the entrance exam since he got in on scholarship.

cntr

Banned
Taking a look at the S2 thread, and man.

I can't wait for all the people who whined about Deku being a "wuss" and crying a lot to get crows smashed into their mouths.

edit: also, the people hoping for more Tokoyami but not expecting any are making me giggle.

I'm glad nobody said anything about Tokoyami. Since that's the kind of thing anime thread usually spoil. Let these anime watcher be happily surprised.

But speaking about the op I agree that the more you watch it, the better it gets. It was already great the first time, now it's one of my fav.

What really gets me hyped through the roof right now is that with that small tease of the TodoxDeku fight in the op and the badass Todo moment in episode 2....I don't think my heart will able to take it. I mean the All Might vs Noumu fight was so much more then I expected that I was kind of crying with joy. Gimme my anime!!!!
Theres so many things I love about this picture. https://twitter.com/10wka/status/850324145325752320
C8z1D08U0AAPpav.jpg:large
That's a really cute pic! MHA boys are best boys!

Jintor

i was really hyped for deku to style on the bots this time around and then it didn't happen

i gotta say it's really satisfying watching the support classes be like 'man, fuck class a, they ain't shit' and then for class A to just blow everyone out of the water right off the bat

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
It's too bad they spoiled Chuunibird's power in the first season.

Anime watchers won't have the same experience of Deku winning the first event, becoming THE target for the chariot game, seeing Deku get what appears to be the worst group ever, and then seeing Chuunibird's power shine.

Ascheroth

It's too bad they spoiled Chuunibird's power in the first season.

Anime watchers won't have the same experience of Deku winning the first event, becoming THE target for the chariot game, seeing Deku get what appears to be the worst group ever, and then seeing Chuunibird's power shine.
Did they? I can't remember.

cntr

Banned
To be honest, most of my hype came from how Deku, instead of teaming up with Iida or Tsuyu, teamed up with Mei and Tokoyami, two background minor characters. That breaking of expectations alone was hype enough.

Didn't get the impression that he had a weak team either.

caliph95

Kishimari thinks a flashback of Bakugou and gets MAXIMUM hard. DoL must have died in bliss.
Oh damn never thought of it that way

If you DTL full name three times you either get yaoi fanart or knock from the door by either Chris Hansen or the FBI

Ascheroth

To be honest, most of my hype came from how Deku, instead of teaming up with Iida or Tsuyu, teamed up with Mei and Tokoyami, two background minor characters. That breaking of expectations alone was hype enough.

Didn't get the impression that he had a weak team either.

Same here.
The main trio was Deku/Ochako/Iida at that point and I fully expected them to team up.
But nooooope, Horikoshi said NO and paired him up with some random side characters.
And knowing Deku isn't dumb I was excited to see whatever the hell the madman was planning.

C9EKEguXsAAPuDL.jpg:small

What people werent joking?! The djs and arts were real?!

I wish we got more of these discussions with kaminari, sero, bakugou, kirishima and co, so much good times, and Bakugou displaying his care and concern for his crew pumping up Kirishima. If only the people who truly dislike him could see these moments of his kindness more often. He's treated so unfairly.

OMG! KIRISHIMA! YOU SEXY BEAST! RED RIOT UN-FREAKIN-BREAKABLE! HE IS JUST WAY TOO COOL!
414ac97af168f6fc0bb7ed7e074719af.jpg

Really loved the Kacchan wisdom moment there. Kirishima having the *Stands through anything* quirk is just so right for his personality.

Really curious/worried on how long the quirk-nullifying bullet works.

Tathanen

Get Inside Her!
So, new Illegals is out, and it heavily features Ingenium, the original Ingenium, who is definitely not paralyzed, and who has definitely not given his title to his brother.

Is Illegals a far-flung prequel to the main series then? Not sure I realized that.

TheFlow

Banned
So, new Illegals is out, and it heavily features Ingenium, the original Ingenium, who is definitely not paralyzed, and who has definitely not given his title to his brother.

Is Illegals a far-flung prequel to the main series then? Not sure I realized that.
Yea I don't read the spinoff but noticed this and got confused

cntr

Banned
The illegals timeline is a bit vague, but yeah, it seems to be set right at the beginning of or a few months before the main series

Illegals was pretty good, though the artist didn't really do a good job of conveying a sense of speed in any of the chases.

Also, yeah, Ingenium showing up was a surprise. I guess it's gotta be a prequel. Guess they never shut down that drug ring after all.

I also find myself wanting to see how Crawler handles his new jogging buddy getting paralyzed. Wonder if the timelines will ever intersect like that?

SalvaPot

Man, Illegals made Ingenium far more likable and retroactively made Stain more of an asshole and what he did more terrible.

MHA goes very fast, so Illegals seems to be around where the original series started, I guess we'll get clues of how exactly the stories connect later on. Honestly I am really enjoying Illegals so far.

cntr

Banned
It makes sense, if you think about. Shit's going down, and even the Illegals characters need time to get ready for the post-All Might world. Or they'd die.

Philippo

Oh wow extra training with Ingenium, that's cool!
I never thought about it yet it's so obvious lol

Edit: oh wait he offered him a job? Damn!
Edit2: not really then lol

I liked the latest chapter of Illegals but I'm still not really a fan of it. It's like if Horikoshi did MHA but instead of himself he was Generic Shonen Author 5.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I liked the latest chapter of Illegals but I'm still not really a fan of it. It's like if Horikoshi did MHA but instead of himself he was Generic Shonen Author 5.

That really describes it so well. It also creates a neat space where we get two works of the same idea/universe and you can see the difference in character writing and action and art and all that jazz.

cntr

Banned
That really describes it so well. It also creates a neat space where we get two works of the same idea/universe and you can see the difference in character writing and action and art and all that jazz.
Yeah, agreed. I'm not super into it, but it seems like this is the writer's first time doing anything, and in that respect, it's more forgivable.

I could see him becoming a great writer in the long run, but Illegals isn't quite there yet.

It just leans too heavily into all the tropes that MHA avoids, which is what makes MHA so good.

I will admit, that Wasp/Beehive girl is pretty legit tho

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
It just leans too heavily into all the tropes that MHA avoids, which is what makes MHA so good.

I will admit, that Wasp/Beehive girl is pretty legit tho

I wouldn't say MHA avoids the Tropes per say, but that's a bit off-topic right now. You're right Illegals hits them full force tho, which is the tell-all mark of inexperience. It just comes off as generic most of the time with nothing to really elevate it. You know what would be neat? Compare this to Horishiki's(I know I know, I am terrible at spelling names/remembering names, it'll never change) earlier works like the circus one. That was also kind of generic in a lot of ways, but I still think it had enough interesting stuff to make it an alright read. I can't really say the same about Illegals right now tho.

cntr

Banned
I wouldn't say Horikoshi avoids tropes outright either, but he's good at rewriting and executing 'em

Illegals just goes for it.

I wouldn't say MHA avoids the Tropes per say, but that's a bit off-topic right now. You're right Illegals hits them full force tho, which is the tell-all mark of inexperience. It just comes off as generic most of the time with nothing to really elevate it. You know what would be neat? Compare this to Horishiki's(I know I know, I am terrible at spelling names/remembering names, it'll never change) earlier works like the circus one. That was also kind of generic in a lot of ways, but I still think it had enough interesting stuff to make it an alright read. I can't really say the same about Illegals right now tho.
At least Illegals is still better than Horikoshi's second main work Bugle. The one-shot was at least okay, but the real series was straight up shit.

cntr

Banned
Oh, yeah, Barrage was total shit lol. The idea was fun, but the execution was awful.

wonder if Horikoshi sat down and spent time on learning how to write before making Oumagadoki Zoo? he got a lot better after Barrage ended.

Barrage imo had tons of cool ideas, a strong start and great characters. It sad it ended in such a way just for it to conclude. Really, The only bad part of Barrage is like the second half of volume 2.

Also reading Horikoshi's end of volume comments broke my heart.

SalvaPot

Also I suspect Barrage was heavily edited (As in influenced by his editor) and made into a more "Shonen" work, the One-Shot was much much better.

cntr

Banned
editor influence would explain a lot of things, like why nobody from Barrage ever shows up in MHA

but man, that's really weird, Zoo is so much more like MHA that I just assumed Barrage was something he made before.

Ascheroth

editor influence would explain a lot of things, like why nobody from Barrage ever shows up in MHA

but man, that's really weird, Zoo is so much more like MHA that I just assumed Barrage was something he made before.
Zoo was cancelled right?
Maybe he thought it would turn out better if he just went generic full shonen instead.
Then that failed even harder and he went 'fuck it, I'll just do what I want' with MHA.

cntr

Banned
Zoo was cancelled right?
Maybe he thought it would turn out better if he just went generic full shonen instead.
Then that failed even harder and he went 'fuck it, I'll just do what I want' with MHA.
makes sense, especially if the editor interference thing is true.

guess it's good that things worked out in the end!

Ascheroth

Just caught up on Illegals.
I find it hilarious that the Wolferine and Cyclops lookalikes are recurring side-characters.
On a whole it's still fairly average, and the art isn't as sharp as Horikoshis.

...Is what I wanted to say before chapter 7, but that one was legit.
Ingenium is such a cool dude.

Top Bottom